• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 storkEXEC

storkEXEC

GMC Member

• 365 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Rabid Ace: Enter the Darkness is flying shootem-up game where you must restore freedom to your homeworld through the power of CHEESE. In 2033 you are one of the last freedom fighters still alive...now it's time for payback!

http://adf.ly/2Oic5 (skip the ad)

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Required: Keyboard

GET IN THE ACTION!!! DOWNLOAD IT NOW!!!(You won't regret it!)

Edited by storkEXEC, 21 August 2011 - 10:41 PM.

Bibby the Beaver beta v 2.5

Rabid Ace: Enter the Darkness beta v 1

Eye CANDY. You can't live off candy, too much of it makes you hyper then sluggish, fat, and gives you cavities

My cousins favorite food is broccoli.

#2 Poeman

Poeman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

Can't download it(slow internet) but it looks cool. I suggest changing the tagline because at first I came to laugh at what I thought was going to be a bad game where people said good things to make you feel better. But now I'm just left impressed :(

#3 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

Well, you tried my game, so I figured I'd try yours. :)

First of all, I wouldn't recommend quoting your parents' praise in the sub-title. Frankly, I don't think it's helping you any more than just putting "A 2D shooter game."

Onto the game itself... It's honestly pretty decent. It works pretty well, but it suffers the classic GM issue of not being able to move diagonally to the right if you're shooting. It's also kind of weird to be able to shoot houses and subs on the ground and other planes in the air with the same gun. I know you hit airborne enemies before the ones on the ground, but you still might wanna make it so you have to bomb them or something.

I also don't know if it's just me, though, but the first level was boring. I know it's only the first level, but I don't like to start thinking "When will this END???" after about a third of the way through. There should also be more of a strategy to the boss than "follow its path and shoot."

On the bright side, I like the little details, like how explosions seem to trail to the ground when you blow something up, and how debris comes flying off when you're shooting something. The sound effects are nice, as is the fact that you put your friends in the game.

TheUltimate

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#4 RoyalCardMan

RoyalCardMan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:01 PM

This is a good game. :)

Did you make the graphics?
I am an Posted Image in the GM Quiz!

#5 RoyalCardMan

RoyalCardMan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

This is a good game. :)

Did you make the graphics?
I am an Posted Image in the GM Quiz!

#6 storkEXEC

storkEXEC

GMC Member

• 365 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

I made some of the graphics, the planes were 3d models I got for free and I turned them into gifs frame by frame (there's probably an easier way, but I don't know what software.) The explosions were the same explosions you see everywhere lol.

lol I guess i'll change the quotes but at least I got a good laugh from posting them :lol:

The levels are kind of a clusterfudge because my room got so big that the tile editor would lag really bad, and it would take forever to place new tiles. The next version is probably going to be less blocky and more object oriented tiles. I'll probably end up rendering 3d terrain and converting it into images. The gameplay will also probably be more spread out, with tougher enemies further apart, and less focus on bombarding the screen with pleebs.

Also, that is not a GM issue, but a keyboard related issue. Certain keyboards cannot handle certain combinations simultaneously. In the next version it will be possible to use WSAD keys.

Edited by storkEXEC, 21 August 2011 - 10:31 PM.

Bibby the Beaver beta v 2.5

Rabid Ace: Enter the Darkness beta v 1

Eye CANDY. You can't live off candy, too much of it makes you hyper then sluggish, fat, and gives you cavities

My cousins favorite food is broccoli.