#1 scotay

scotay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 147 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hi all

Welcome to the new GMC reskin :D It's taken a while and thanks to the mods input here we were able to fix all the issues. We hope you like, and realise it's a dramatic change but we really wanted the GMC to sync with the look and feel of the new site. Not everyone will like it. We do ask that you give it a bit of time to get used to though.

We look forward to hearing all your feedback (as long as its constructive). Don't ask for it to be changed back, as it won't be. The dark skin is the default but to keep those who really want the lighter background, we will give this option to change it. We need a couple of weeks to get this in place so be patient. Meantime, let us know here if there's any probs!

Cheers,

Kirsty

#2 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

What do we do if we can't see any difference?

#3 PASSOUT

PASSOUT

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

Why is it so dark...

#4 Terrified Virus

Terrified Virus

Moderators Plaything

• GMC Member
  • 753 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

Ya, it willl take a while to get use to this... But it looks pretty cool. When I go to my profile, up where it says "topics" "posts", etc. it is all white and is very hard to read.

#5 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

Yes, please do give us that option. In fact, it'd be great if you'd give us the option to revert it completely. Thanks!

#6 Skye

Skye

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

The buttons (GMC, Game Maker, Games, Support, Company and [Username]) aren't working!
Is it just my computer or is it a bug?

#7 Jobo

Jobo

Freelancer

• Local Moderators
  • 2789 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

to keep those who really want the lighter background, we will give this option to change it.

Thank you!

*throws out antidepressants*

#8 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

The buttons (GMC, Game Maker, Games, Support, Company and [Username]) aren't working!
Is it just my computer or is it a bug?

Nope, they released a buggy skin >_<

#9 xshortguy

xshortguy

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4345 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

That's odd. Those buttons worked on the test.

#10 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

I prefer a white background for reading the page contents. Please.. Otherwise give us option to choose which skin we are comfortable with if possible.

#11 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21917 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

The buttons worked fine on the change but a few minutes later stopped working... so some unforseen error there...

#12 Jobo

Jobo

Freelancer

• Local Moderators
  • 2789 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

This time you've really stepped in it, YoYo Games.
It's fine that you make a dark theme that fits the theme of the overly criticized website, but you're not giving an immediate option to change it back?

Why not? You already have a functional light theme (if you can remember the days before you changed the GMC theme. That would be ~20 minutes ago).
What's so wrong with giving that as a temporary fallback theme, instead of saying "Hey. Use this theme. Like it or hate it, we don't care. We want it to be like this. **** you all."
Might be a little exaggerated, but still. Seriously? That's so incredibly unprofessional in my opinion.

#13 jtyler

jtyler

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

I haven't noticed any difference in themes?

#14 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

Apparently, it's impossible for people who aren't already logged in to do so. You may want to look into that.

#15 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1841 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

While I appreciate the new look, I can see how it can be annoying to read white text on a dark grey background. Actually, several studies have been conducted on readability:

1980 study:

However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background
are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is
fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants
were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters
on a light background.

Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual
display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.),
Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142).
London: Taylor & Francis

Another Research Group:

People with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the "deformed" lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.

Jason Harrison – Post Doctoral Fellow, Imager Lab Manager – Sensory Perception and Interaction Research Group, University of British Columbia

The fuzziness is called halation and can be rather aggravating; especially to our late night GMC readers ;)

-Riley

Edited by Chessmasterriley, 17 August 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#16 Glance

Glance

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

I like the theme but here are the small stuff I found that didn't look too well;

1) The text just above the ad at the top looks odd to me. The links to the rules and the search bar look out of place with the ad there. Maybe you could move the ad above the text?

2) The "Find My Content" button on my profile has a background that doesn't mach the theme at all.

3) If I change the theme to "YoYoGames" at the bottom of the screen I can't get the dark skin back. I just got a little used to the darker colors, but when I accidentally changed the skin, I want to change it back to the dark one for some reason... :P

#17 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16023 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

The top menu does not work. I'm interested in my user name where a menu pops up and I can see my content

The fuzziness is called halation and can be rather aggravating; especially to our late night GMC readers ;)

-Riley

That is exactly my problem. I get dizzy, headache after 5 minutes and even sea sick (right now, maybe I drank too much coffee)

#18 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3023 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

It's ok, but I must say it is very very buggy. You better fix the top bar as it doesn't work at all, the login is missing, which is very important and I had to go to the error page to login.
Also the profile is highly iritable to look as the white boxes are pain in the both arse and eyes. Remove all the white stuff from the profile make it gray and lighter gray for 2nd replies.

Fix this, it'll be ok.

PS: As in light gray I mean: the color 32 pixels below this text where its stated when I edited this thing.

Edited by Shadowrend, 17 August 2011 - 05:32 PM.

#19 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• GMC Elder
  • 2520 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

LaTeX is broken - should be white symbols instead of black. Didn't you fix this previously? It was working on the testgmc.

#20 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

>.> hard to understand, the font seems bigger. I prefer the white one 10 to 1, this seems dark and unclear. im a little lost on pming and stuff too

#21 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• GMC Elder
  • 2520 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

One of my main grievances with this new them is the lack of texture. In fact, there isn't anything but solid colors except for a gradient (gradients like that look insanely unprofessional) in the top logo bar. Some sort of texture in the headers or even the background would give the theme some flair and let it escape from plainness.

#22 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

To change it back, scroll to the bottom of the page and find the drop box that says "YoYoGames". Change it to IP Board Mobile and change it back to YoYoGames and you'll have the old theme. The new theme does not appear to be here.

#23 Lewis Cross

Lewis Cross

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1001 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

Well, that did nothing for me.

Same light green theme.

Edited by Sonica2, 17 August 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#24 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• GMC Elder
  • 2520 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

Well, that did nothing for me.

Same light green theme.

Try CTRL+F5.

#25 S-Chuck

S-Chuck

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 2314 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

The new theme was created to match the website. This is a good thing :P

And while I agree that it will take time to get used to a dark skin since people are used to mostly light forums everywhere else on the web, I can also understand (for the above reason) why TTG does not give a light skin option.

Give it time. Everyone will get used to it and life will go on once again. :thumbsup:

#26 Osmium

Osmium

Graphic Artist

• GMC Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

After four minutes, a new GMC skin!?

It's great anyway. :smile:

#27 Lewis Cross

Lewis Cross

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1001 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

That does nothing. I managed to get it be signing out, but then there is no means of signing back in, so changed the theme to the normal one to sign in, and it stays like it.

#28 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

Please add an option to use the original skin.

This new one is far too dark which makes it difficult to read for people like myself who have less than perfect eye-sight.

#29 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

Please add an option to use the original skin.

This new one is far too dark which makes it difficult to read for people like myself who have less than perfect eye-sight.

You can change it back.

#30 S-Chuck

S-Chuck

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 2314 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

Dark Matter, that's likely only temporary. Again, last I talked to them they had no planned for an ""option" so they will probably delete the old skin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users