orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2247 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

Saga Of The Ugly (Download at bottom)
V 1.1
Made in GM 8.0 Lite (it's the unpaid version because I didn't make it on my own computer)

Posted Image

Saga Of The Ugly is a game about a poor ugly chap who encounters mean characters. I really don't want to spoil too much, you need to play the game yourself to experience the sadness of it all. Oh, I made it in 2 days(Actually 5 days as of V 1.1).

If you can't figure out on your own here's a guide to help you get all the endings.
If you're not man enough to figure it out on your own, here's a guide.
Spoiler

Controls: Arrow keys to move, R to restart, Escape to exit.
Credits: Game + Sound FX by orange08, Music by Nijg.

YYG Download: http://sandbox.yoyog...aga-of-the-ugly
GJ Download: http://gamejolt.com/...-the-ugly/5985/
64Digits Download: http://64digits.com/...ew_game&id=5532

Please leave a comment if you play the game!

-orange08

Edited by orange08, 20 February 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#2 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

Sounds interesting, it's downloading, will edit soon...

#3 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3138 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

Was nice for 2 days, I'm afraid I could only find 1 of the endings! I tried many times, but every combination either seemed impossible or didn't do anything! As you said the other day in irc, it does look better in motion than a still screenshot! Good work :)

#4 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2247 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:11 AM

@theg721
Drool drips off my chin as I eagerly await your edit! :P

@Soulsnatcher
Thanks for commenting, I've added a guide in the first post surrounded by a spoiler so if anybody else gets stuck they won't miss out.

Maybe if I feel like it later on, I'll add in some more characters and traps and endings.

-orange08

#5 Fuzzle

Fuzzle

The Super Pickle

• 163 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:24 AM

I never noticed before, but you make really nice games, Orange.

#6 Joe Collins

Joe Collins

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:09 AM

I like how everything moves in the game, and all the mechanics were sound, but overall it was a negative experience. What did you want people to experience when you created this game?

#7 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2247 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:17 AM

@Fuzzle
Thanks for the compliment! :medieval:

@Joe Collins
It was a "negative" experience? Could you please elaborate? Did you get all the endings?
Anyways, in response to your quesiton, I never really thought about what I wanted people to experience. I guess I wanted people to experience something random and entertaining, something interesting.

You can all look forward to an update to the game with a few more endings! Hopefully, if I keep up my pace, I'll have it done within 2 or 3 days!

-orange08

Edited by orange08, 17 August 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#8 Joe Collins

Joe Collins

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:33 AM

Yes, I got all of the endings in a couple of minutes, but it bothered me that there was no resolution for the ugly guy, just insults and death and the third ending which I don't want to give away. It was negative because I felt bad for the character, and there was no way to resolve his ugliness or others' opinion of him. And considering this is an adventure/rpg that sort of element is critical, I would say. But everything else I liked. Hope that helps.

#9 Fuzzle

Fuzzle

The Super Pickle

• 163 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:47 AM

Whenever you want to make a story-driven game, you've definitely gotta have a clear intention of how you want the audience to feel.

Of course, just because someone had a negative experience with the story doesn't mean it was a bad story. All that means is the story was good at making people feel bad.

If your intention was to give the player a bad experience about the way people treat physical abnormalities, then you succeeded very well.

If you wanted to give the player hope that the little ugly guy could live happily despite his appearance, then you failed.

Without knowing what emotional effect you wanted to achieve, though, we can't tell whether you were successful or not.

Intention is important with stuff like this.

Edited by Fuzzle, 17 August 2011 - 03:56 AM.

#10 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

Uhh...

OK. Well I played it, and I think I did so enough to gove a review.

I'd say it's a simple game; it wasn't exactly fun, which is what games are about, right? What I did with the key wasn't immediatly obvious, which was annoying, and I couldn't fly over the guy with the gun. The story was very linear, very short, only had two ending I could find and all ended in the player's death. What happens next would be interesting though. Perhaps that was just an intro, like the pre titles scene in a film. The player crawls away, barely alive... then what? Who knows.

The graphics were great but the music was a let down, for some reason I thought this would be more fitting:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cg4Z00VTP7I

Laaaaa la-la-la la-la-la-laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *cough* *cough*

So, to recap:

• It's not fun
  • Graphics are great
  • Could use more gameplay work
  • Is very short
  • Mutliple endings my ass *cough* proved wrong *cough*
  • sound should, for no reason, be Katamari Damacy

There goes my reviewing skills. Still, I hope this helped in some way...

Katamari Damacy! Laaaaaaa lalalalalalalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa la Katamari Damacy! B-)

Edited by theg721, 17 August 2011 - 12:42 PM.

#11 zaceron

zaceron

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

Interesting game, a bit loud like every gm game, I can't say I like the graphics, but it would be more awesome if you could make the character roll, while his face is like it alway is, instead of shaking. Thew music is nice but do get irritating after a while. but with more game and stuff going on it could be much more interesting, but it's not a bad game.

#12 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

Well I must say, this is an 'interesting' game.

The first thing I noticed was definitely the animations. They are a bit too uniform for my liking, it's not the amount of frames it's the fact that everything is played at the same speed with the same starting frame, I could be wrong but it might look better if you switch it up. The music is fine, even after looping again and again it didn't seem to get on my nerves. You could add some sound though, even just for walking, jumping, flying and talking.

The endings were pretty easy to find and I only played the game for about 5-6 minutes, even so it was annoying having to redo everything each time (although I guess that can't be helped). I can't really think of anything else to say about the game, it really does need more endings though.

Good luck with this.

#13 terrence

terrence

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

Thank you for furthering the art game movement despite the disbelief of the nonbelievers.

#14 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2247 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

UPDATE! Version 1.1 uploaded, just redownload from YYG to get the new version. 2 more endings have been added along with more people!!!

@Joe Collins
I see what you mean, thanks for the post! :thumbsup:

@Fuzzle
Thanks for your post, too... I guess it was my goal to make the player feel sad for the main character, hence why I picked that sad music.

@Theg
wut

@Zaceron
Thx 4 comment.

@CreativeBunch
Thanks for the idea, I've switched the starting image_index'es around in the V 1.1 update! Also, I'm not much of a sound-guy...

@Terrence
np

-orange08

Edited by orange08, 19 August 2011 - 11:56 PM.

#15 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:45 AM

Just tried out your game, and I liked it!
I found all 5 endings! Yay!

The music was very fitting, the graphics were fun and silly, and it was overall nice, short, and simple.

Was the moral of the story something like: Being ugly sucks, unless you're friends with a bad-ass robot! :tongue:

#16 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2247 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

BIG BUMP

Was the moral of the story something like: Being ugly sucks, unless you're friends with a bad-ass robot! :tongue:

You got it! :lol:

At this moment I am celebrating a total of 423 downloads. Yoyogames has almost reached the 250 marker, 1 more to go! :D

-orange

#17 MonkeyMaw

MonkeyMaw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

I liked this game! The dialog was funny, the music was awesome, and the graphics are decent! I too would have liked to see some sort of resolution for the character but I'm not sure how that would have worked out. Anyway, keep on developing!

#18 Lilybugged

Lilybugged

The Derpy One

• GMC Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

I loved this game! Really! I know this isn't helpful, but I see nothing wrong with anything you put in the game.

The graphics were nice.
The music was sad, as if to represent what a sad story the game presents, and also maybe how the character feels.
No sound effects, but that would have made it sound happy, and distract from the music!
The amount of endings was fine, in my opinion.

My reaction-
The story kind of made it feel like it's a terrible world out there, the happy graphics seemed like a pretty blanket on the badness that inhabits everyone, and that every character is nice to everyone they like-- a fake outside, a disgustingly horrid inside.
And only the character can see this, as he/she is the only one that encounters the horribleness in everyone.

Enjoy my review~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users