Pokemon Battle Engine

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Fenderstrat102

Fenderstrat102

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:28 AM

I'm in the process of making yet another Pokemon game, and I'm sure this forum has seen its fair share. However, this engine is as near to 100% a replica of Pokemon as any can be. It uses all the same algorithms as the actual games do: damage, accuracy, stat, etc.

What I've done so far is as follows -->
Pokemon (100%) (All pokemon data is correct, stats, moves, abilities, etc, etc)
Moves (75%) (Most moves have correct effects/damage added, there are a few that do not)
Abilities (10%) (Very few pokemon abilities are programmed in)
Items (0%) (Saving this till later, should be rather simple)
Move Graphics (1%)

Currently my battle system uses a series of queues to determine what to do, however, I was hoping someone on this board could enlighten me as to a more optimized way to have the battle progress. Secondly I was wondering if anyone knows of an easier method to implement the move graphics. Currently they are done with d3d_wall and this seems rather... well, over the top. I think it'd be best if I made a 2d projection over the 3d and a few instances for different particle types? Anyways, as always any and all comments are appreciated.

Screens:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the link:
Pokemon.exe (.zip file) -- this is the full example with all 649 pokemon as well as weather gfx(sunny day, rain dance etc.) (note: it's ~62 MB)
http://www.mediafire...waqzzt1rkgboxue

Pokemon_lite -- this is the shortened example, only a few pokemon are accessible, but it is cut down to ~2 MB
http://www.mediafire...8lqmau1a1psep8t

Edited by Fenderstrat102, 16 August 2011 - 05:31 PM.

#2 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:01 AM

whoa whoa whoa waaay too much MB i'd be glad to try it but that's waaay too much memory!
it looks polished though so, i give you kudos!

i wanted to make a pokemon game myself, during 3rd gen called
FireIce and Leafire Versions.
The game had 100 new pokemon in addition to the Hoenn Roster
and the starters were the kanto starters inverted.
Casazard,Venaflare and Plantoise.

#3 Fenderstrat102

Fenderstrat102

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:49 AM

whoa whoa whoa waaay too much MB i'd be glad to try it but that's waaay too much memory!

Sorry about that, but there's not much I can do... Unless I only allow for a few pokemon to be used? As is I've included all 649 pokemon w/ front and back sprites -- uncompressed just the sprites are about 154 MB. w/o the sprites the game's only 2.76 MB haha. In fact I think I'll do that, I'll upload another version right now.

And it's good to know that you attempted your own Pokemon game, at least when I tell you how annoying it is you'll believe me haha & thanks much for your kudos!

Edited by Fenderstrat102, 16 August 2011 - 04:02 AM.

#4 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:09 AM

Sorry about that, but there's not much I can do... Unless I only allow for a few pokemon to be used? As is I've included all 649 pokemon w/ front and back sprites -- uncompressed just the sprites are about 154 MB. w/o the sprites the game's only 2.76 MB haha. In fact I think I'll do that, I'll upload another version right now.

And it's good to know that you attempted your own Pokemon game, at least when I tell you how annoying it is you'll believe me haha & thanks much for your kudos!

hey no wonder, you have all the pokemon in there! i didn't know i assumed you put all that into graphics lol which you did...

but hey, i understand, ill try it later on though.
btw how df did u make this i want to make a gen 3 engine, in 2d mode
and i will only use pokemon up to hoenn , plus my region of FI/LF which is the maku region.

#5 Fenderstrat102

Fenderstrat102

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:24 AM

Honestly? Tons of patience and time. This engine didn't build itself overnight, I put about a half of a year of work into this engine... That being said, I'm neither going to give you my source nor hold your hand through the whole process (but I don't think that's what you're asking for, nor do I think that's what you need). What I can give you is a sense of direction --

I suggest studying the game thoroughly, as well as going on these sites:

http://bulbapedia.bu.../wiki/Main_Page
http://www.smogon.com/
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

They each have tons of info on the game's mechanics and are overall very helpful concerning anything Pokemon.

For the game's graphics you can't beat the spriters resource -- http://www.spriters-resource.com/ (though at this point if you hadn't heard of them I'd be surprised)

ROMs (as long as you own the game) are also very helpful for studying certain parts of a game repeatedly and as always youtube and google are your friend.

Lastly, if you're serious joining a (hardcore?) forum that's related to Pokemon for any general questions is probably a good idea, and for that I can direct you to: http://boards.4chan.org/vp/ or http://boards.420chan.org/po/ (/vp/ being my personal lurk, but /po/ is far more helpful/productive/better overall).

Good Luck!

#6 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:07 AM

A few months ago I made my own Pokemon Engine so I was curious to try your one out. From the screenshots it looks very nice, although I can see you decided not to mimic the sizing of the NDS. However, when I downloaded it and tried to unpack it with winrar it failed to unpack half of the resources (including the .exe) -- it kept popping up with errors?

#7 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

A few months ago I made my own Pokemon Engine so I was curious to try your one out. From the screenshots it looks very nice, although I can see you decided not to mimic the sizing of the NDS. However, when I downloaded it and tried to unpack it with winrar it failed to unpack half of the resources (including the .exe) -- it kept popping up with errors?

Rossay, of course you come here before me :P lol I too made a Pokemon engine a few months ago and I picked back up on it yesterday(I was on vacation). I am unable to unpack it as well, both the Lite and the full version. I use WinZip, and it gives unspecified errors. Maybe your .exe got corrupted?

#8 Fenderstrat102

Fenderstrat102

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

However, when I downloaded it and tried to unpack it with winrar it failed to unpack half of the resources (including the .exe) -- it kept popping up with errors?

I am unable to unpack it as well, both the Lite and the full version. I use WinZip, and it gives unspecified errors. Maybe your .exe got corrupted?

It may have been the compression methods I used, I packed the .zip with 7zip...

EDIT:
Alright it's uploaded now, thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Fenderstrat102, 16 August 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#9 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Okay, it works fine now, just tested it.

It looks beautiful and runs very smooth. I can appreciate the effort that has gone into this. Are you planning to make this an open-source engine at some point? Also, with regards to the advice you asked for in your first post: the way I did the animation in my engine was all 2D with some sprite manipulation to try and give the illusion of 3D, however, I think you should stick to the way you are doing it as it looks really smooth and fantastic. I'm not terribly familiar with what GM can do in 3D so I had never considered doing it the way you are doing it.

Have you considered making it a replica of the DS? i.e. using a quasi-dual screen effect by having a screen size of 256x384. Also, if you are in need of any kind of pokemon resources (sounds, tiles, etc etc), feel free to give me a PM as I have a huge collection from having done it myself.

#10 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

Looks very impressive, I must say. Better than mine and Rossay's engine in my opinion. It just needs a few more adjustments and it's perfect. First of all, I dislike having to use only the mouse, especially since I have to use a trackpad. The GUI also needs some work. The circular health bar looks pretty cool, but it's small. I still prefer the straight line health bar. It also looks weird with the Player's info on the bottom screen. My engine is open source, so you could look at it if you want, just send a PM. I don't want publicity until I get farther into development.

#11 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

i was asking because in battle i assumed there were these objects (2d only)

1 calculator
1p health bar
2p health bar

1p trainer
2p trainer

1p pokemon
2p pokemon

1 obj per attack sequence
1 text box

#12 Fenderstrat102

Fenderstrat102

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:35 AM

It looks beautiful and runs very smooth. I can appreciate the effort that has gone into this. Are you planning to make this an open-source engine at some point? Also, with regards to the advice you asked for in your first post: the way I did the animation in my engine was all 2D with some sprite manipulation to try and give the illusion of 3D, however, I think you should stick to the way you are doing it as it looks really smooth and fantastic. I'm not terribly familiar with what GM can do in 3D so I had never considered doing it the way you are doing it.

Have you considered making it a replica of the DS? i.e. using a quasi-dual screen effect by having a screen size of 256x384. Also, if you are in need of any kind of pokemon resources (sounds, tiles, etc etc), feel free to give me a PM as I have a huge collection from having done it myself.

Wow thanks! Im glad you like the effort I had to put it to get it to run that smooth :P I do eventually plan to release it as open-source, not just yet though. And thanks for your input on the 3d/2d debacle! It means a lot.

As for the DS replica, yes actually I have considered it, and I'm still not certain what the end resolution will be, as I have built the engine it's very easily changed, so this isn't something I'm too worried about atm -- and thanks for the resource offer, if I need anything I know who to ask!

Looks very impressive, I must say. Better than mine and Rossay's engine in my opinion. It just needs a few more adjustments and it's perfect. First of all, I dislike having to use only the mouse, especially since I have to use a trackpad. The GUI also needs some work. The circular health bar looks pretty cool, but it's small. I still prefer the straight line health bar. It also looks weird with the Player's info on the bottom screen. My engine is open source, so you could look at it if you want, just send a PM. I don't want publicity until I get farther into development.

Thanks daspirit, haha I didn't expect to hear that my engine is near-perfect O.o, that was quite nice of you. For the mouse issue, I actually completely understand, I do plan to implement keyboard use into the engine, as well as customizable controls -- Im thinking of adding the menu for that into the OW (overworld a.k.a. when outside of the battle) rather than as something accessible from this engine. The keyboard implementation will come rather soon though.

I'll look into making the health bar more readable, I agree and am not entirely satisfied with it yet, further experimentation is needed. I do plan on keeping the circular healthbar though, but I think I will make it more like the line health bar -- add more shading, more definition, etc. And thanks much for the offer to see your engine! Any and all help is much appreciated!

i was asking because in battle i assumed there were these objects (2d only)

Well quite actually I use very few objects. It's a good idea when making a game (note: i should amend that statement to making a game with Game Maker) to keep the object count down as objects in Game Maker load a large number of superfluous data into memory. All HUD elements are a singular object, all background elements are a singular object, all calculations are held in a single object, etc. I hope that somewhat answers your question?

Edited by Fenderstrat102, 17 August 2011 - 03:42 AM.

#13 J-Dek

J-Dek

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:04 AM

Best engine ever, seriously.

will you release de .gmk file?

#14 rater193

rater193

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

I was wandering if you can please give the source (educational purpos only) it would be a HUGE help

Edited by rater193, 30 March 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#15 Charly_Uribe2

Charly_Uribe2

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

Do you have the .gmk please :blush:  :thanks:  :thumbsup: 

#16 MishMash

MishMash

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 875 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

I Know this is old, But this is awesome! Really love the style! Makes me want to make a pokemon clone :P! (Someone should use this to make a pokemon clone xD!)

#17 rater193

rater193

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

Honestly? Tons of patience and time. This engine didn't build itself overnight, I put about a half of a year of work into this engine... That being said, I'm neither going to give you my source nor hold your hand through the whole process (but I don't think that's what you're asking for, nor do I think that's what you need). What I can give you is a sense of direction --

I suggest studying the game thoroughly, as well as going on these sites:

http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

They each have tons of info on the game's mechanics and are overall very helpful concerning anything Pokemon.

For the game's graphics you can't beat the spriters resource -- http://www.spriters-resource.com/ (though at this point if you hadn't heard of them I'd be surprised)

ROMs (as long as you own the game) are also very helpful for studying certain parts of a game repeatedly and as always youtube and google are your friend.

Lastly, if you're serious joining a (hardcore?) forum that's related to Pokemon for any general questions is probably a good idea, and for that I can direct you to: http://boards.4chan.org/vp/ or http://boards.420chan.org/po/ (/vp/ being my personal lurk, but /po/ is far more helpful/productive/better overall).

Good Luck!

thanks for the resource links ;) i dont blame you for not releasing the source, i mean, its an amazing source, and you did really well at it, im going to attempt to remake it! i am not going to release the source ither, but isntead i am going to develop an engine to let players make their own game!

#18 cherrim98

cherrim98

GMC Member

• 18 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

Hi, i just wanted to make this game better, so i edited all the sprites to make their XY sprites. I wanna add the gen6 pokemon but how do i open the archives? I know how to code so don't worry.

#19 mtsf2014

mtsf2014

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

I think both of these sites is

:down:  استخدام :yes:

Better than mine and Rossay's engine in my opinion. It just needs a few more adjustments and it's perfect. First of all, I dislike having to use only the mouse, especially since I have to use a trackpad. The GUI also needs some work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users