#1 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

GMechanism API Extension
The GMechanism API is in the form of a Game Maker extension package, and allows you, the developer, to add advanced online functionality like highscores, achievements, private and public chat systems, online INI, user profile read/write, user accounts, etc. GMechanism has its own secure database which is what it connects to, and stores user accounts. (but user accounts are not necessary - just good for data storage). So, you can have your own user account/highscore management system in your own game, without a server!

NOTE: Make sure to download the proper extension package for your version of Game Maker (Studio, 8.1, 8.0, etc)

Another note: The only features of the API that require the user to have an account are Achievements and the buddy list.

GMechanism Developer Portal
As the developer, you can view statistics about your game through the Developer Portal. From there, you set your achievements, reset and delete highscore table entries, view how many times your game has been played, manage your online INI, etc. The portal is at http://www.gmechanism.com

Downloads
GMech API (GM 8/8.1): (coming soon)
GMech API (GM Studio:All Exports): http://www.gmechanis...hAPI-Studio.zip

GMech API Demo HTML5: http://www.gmechanis...online_demo.php
GMech Demo Video: (coming soon)

Games that use GMechanism

Match Math, by Hallus80: https://play.google....lus80.matchmath

Forum
The GMechanism Forum is located at: http://www.gmechanis.../forum_main.php

Some API Features
- Submit and display online highscores (and reversed scoreboards)
- Sign in to user's GMechanism account, if they have one
- Online Achievements
- Advanced statistics tracking
- Public and private IP information
- Online INI hosting
- Online in-game chat engine

- All-platform in-game purchases (coming soon)

Future API Features
- MMORPG Functions
- Shared Variables
- Game Licensing
- Auto Updater
- In-Game Purchases

API Ports and Progress
GM 7 - Not supported :(
GM 8 - Coming Soon
GM 8.1 - Coming Soon

GM Studio All Exports - RELEASED

Server Statistics
Registered users: 86
GMechanism-enabled games: 45

Edited by lukeescude, 06 May 2014 - 11:21 PM.

My 39dll Tutorial
GMechanism, a Game Maker extension for Online Highscores, Achievements, Chat Engine, INI Host, etc.
Posted Image

#2 jobro

jobro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

First! :D This looks really, really impressive. Downloading it and will give some constructive critics.

The engine works really nice, the only problem I could detect is that the login / sign up windows didn't treat the TAB key as normal Windows would do.by sending the text entry to the next field. Not a big issue, but it is better to streamline the user interface to the windows standards as much as possible.

Edited by jobro, 07 August 2011 - 08:10 PM.

Marketplace.png

#3 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

Alright I'll add that. It's not very easy to add, since the Game Maker window loses focus, and so does the keyboard, when using Windows API. But I'll check it out!
My 39dll Tutorial
GMechanism, a Game Maker extension for Online Highscores, Achievements, Chat Engine, INI Host, etc.
Posted Image

#4 jobro

jobro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

You could set your own window as always on top. Winamp has that function. I hardly ever use it unless by mistake I activate it. :) Another way would be to embed the login form inside the game window.

Marketplace.png

#5 ChaosMaker

ChaosMaker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 289 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:40 AM

WOW, its amazing
nice work, really nice work
*.*

#6 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:59 AM

Thanks!

@Jobro - Yeah you can also choose to embed it into your game as well. The prompt is just a nice quick way to do it without thinking.
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#7 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

Just a quick update: Some new bugfixes are out, and the highscore functions are virtually lag-less now.

Also I intend on putting in a Game-local chatroom engine, so stay tuned for that update on the way.
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#8 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

API has been updated!

Now you can have your own in-game chat engine. Only three commands, it's so simple to use.

Added a true/false parameter to the SubmitHighScore function, to allow guests, if you wan't, to submit their highscores.

Added a true/false parameter to the Init function to auto-launch the buddy list if you want.
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#9 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

This is a good system, but there are some flaws, like submitting highscores. You either sumbit the name of the person logged in (which may not be), or in the case of a guest, you only have the option of a custom pop-up for them to enter their name. It would be better if you could just put a name box in.

Like Robert3DG+ said, this needs a "lite" version, to make it more appealing to more people.

Also, is it possible to access another games ini file from other games, for stuff like server lists?

#10 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

The only features that GMechanism has that REQUIRES the user to have an account is the Achievements system. Highscores, like you said, can be sent with a guest's username. That's the only user account-dependent function.

As for the guest box, this most recent update is the first time I've used it, but sure, I'll let the developer put their own username entry box in.

GMechanism is not going to disappear overnight, I guarantee it. I've invested a lot of time in making it work, so I intend to spread the word about it and make it a well-known and well-used system.

Thanks for the input, I've written down the custom guest box entry idea, so I'll have that in the next update!

EDIT: For game security, the only INI file you can access is your game's specific INI... I can add functions to access another INI though, if you'd like... Just so you understand, the INI file is unique to your game's Game ID. So if multiple users are playing your same game, they all use the same INI... The INI file isn't specific to that single instance of a game. Just the game itself.

Also, the GMech_SignUp() function pops up a box and quickly lets the user sign up for a GMechanism account. Just a username and password with confirmation.

Edited by lukeescude, 17 August 2011 - 02:34 PM.

My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#11 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Pendulum, I can't wait for Electro, either!

Alright, API and GMechanism released!

API Updates:
1. The statistics are now live, like PlyerCount, PlayerName, PlayerIP, etc.

2. Fixed a bug that prevented the buddy list from working after closing and reopening

3.Fixed a major online HS table bug with username numerical pairing

4. Fixed a bug with the PromptSignIn function

5. Fixed bug with SIgnUp()

6. Added a GuestString to the chatbox for guests to chat too

7. Replaced the true/false of SubmitHighScore with a string - READ HELP FILE

GMechanism updates:
1. Shoutboxes are vertical

2. Improved achievements viewing pages

3. Smilies no longer have text behind them (finally :P)
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#12 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

GMC Member

• 467 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:09 AM

This sounds very interesting. But I was wondering if it would be possible to get an example that works in GM7? I still have yet to buy the more recent version, and I really don't have any interest to do so quite yet. So I thought I might ask.

#13 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:40 AM

Oh! I should've thought of that, I apologize.

I'll get a GM7 example in the ZIP soon, probably tomorrow. I'll post back up here when it's up.
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#14 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1132 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

Looks awesome. Can't wait to learn how to use it! However, you should turn this into a lib so that people that don't understand or are too lazy to learn gml can make cool online games!

#15 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

GMech is awesome

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

(Chinese axiom)

#16 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:26 PM

Thanks!

It's starting to become much more popular, and more updates are along the way!
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#17 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:34 AM

API has been updated, download now!
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#18 T194

T194

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

This looks really good, I'm excited. I'm trying to run it though and getting the error "title=readstring()" inside the extension. I'm guessing this might be something to do with registering the game?
EDIT: I've narrowed it down a bit more, it only happens when I use the extension in a particular game. It uses other extension packages and happens when loading.
EDIT2: Solved it myself, if its of any interest to you it seemed to have a problem with a folder in objects named "junk". It didn't have anything of interest in but once this was deleted it worked fine :)

Edited by T194, 30 September 2011 - 06:39 PM.

Posted Image

#19 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

Interesting! GMechanism doesn't use any sort of "junk" folder, or any folders at all, actually. I'll look into it though, sorry about that error.

Thanks for your interest in the API!

EDIT: It could be a conflicting object name... Didn't think of that. Thanks for the bug submission, I'll get that fixed.

Edited by lukeescude, 30 September 2011 - 08:55 PM.

My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#20 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

DEBELS WANTS UPDATE :thumbsup:

EDIT: IM THE FIRST 1 ON SECOND PAGE :woot:

Edited by BlueDebel, 30 September 2011 - 09:38 PM.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

(Chinese axiom)

#21 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

COOL NEW UPDATE :thumbsup:

(Chinese axiom)

#22 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

Updates! I think I'm double posting.

Anyways, API:
1. Fixed the INI stuff - Shouldn't happen again. at all.

2. Added profile interfacing functions - you can interface directly with the user's GMech profile, and add your own variables and staitstics.

3. Fixed an error in the step event of GMech API

Application:
1. Crashes are now seamless - You don't notice a server crash, except a 2-second pause.

2. The mouse wheel scrolls.

3. Added a bunch of smilies

4. Added a profanity filter

5. Fullscreen with F4, but it looks bad

6. Better system tray notifications.

7. Multiple chat URLs are possible

8. Graphical fixes
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#23 T194

T194

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

Interesting! GMechanism doesn't use any sort of "junk" folder, or any folders at all, actually. I'll look into it though, sorry about that error.

Thanks for your interest in the API!

EDIT: It could be a conflicting object name... Didn't think of that. Thanks for the bug submission, I'll get that fixed.

I'll get a list of the objects in the folder for you. I'm really impressed by it though (now I've got it working), I've been waiting for an update to clockwork for ages for my game but I'm going to use this instead. I have a couple of suggestions for the highscores: Firstly instead of saving 10 highscores it'd be nice if you could save 100-200 which would enable users to customise the length of highscore table and have a function to find the position of a named person, even if their 89th. Also you could replace a persons existing highscore when its submitted to prevent the table getting filled up with one user.
Posted Image

#24 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

I wrote those requests down, thanks!

Also, I'd like to invite you to join us on the GMechanism application, http://www.lukeescud.../gmechanism.exe where there's a development center to manage your API games, etc. and where other GMech developers come to chat and hang out.

Here's the thread for the GMech application: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=515674

Edited by lukeescude, 01 October 2011 - 02:05 PM.

My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#25 MrPerson300

MrPerson300

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:42 AM

I am having an odd problem with GMech. When I start my game and go to the leaderboard, it displays fine. When I leave that room, and come back, then display the leaderboard, the leaderboard shows all 0s and the game freezes. This happens both with GMech's built in leaderboard display and with a custom display script I wrote. I don't know if this is my code or an error in GMech's API, but it's very confusing. Other than that, it works great, and is very useful.

#26 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

Sounds like an issue with GMech API.

I'll look at it, and update the API if I'm right.

Thanks for the bug report!
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#27 MrPerson300

MrPerson300

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:08 AM

Sounds like an issue with GMech API.

I'll look at it, and update the API if I'm right.

Thanks for the bug report!

Actually, after some investigation, I think it has something to do with my instance deactivation code in the levels. I'll try to disable GMech at level start and re-enable it at level end.

#28 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:26 AM

That would definitely explain it!
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#29 MrPerson300

MrPerson300

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:07 AM

That would definitely explain it!

I ultimately ended up disconnecting GMech and logging the user out during a level, the only place where instance deactivation occurred, and automatically reconnecting and logging the user in when the level ends.

#30 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

Well, I wish that wasn't necessary, but that'll fix it.

Glad you found a solution to the problem!
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#31 Wolfeman

Wolfeman

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

Hey, im having some trouble with the login/register system, i have all the code right but when i hit submit, it just hangs and does nothing.

#32 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:18 AM

Yes, the server is down for migration.

It's up temporarily though. Right now we're in an awkward in-between phase with the servers. Expect reliability to be restored within a week
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#33 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

Alright, the new C++ server is up and stable! Thanks to the 600+ users who have helped make GMech what it is today!
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#34 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:01 AM

Hey everyone - There's a GMech API demonstration video now: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=A7KCT0kKe7U

Check it out!
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#35 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hey everyone - There's a GMech API demonstration video now: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=A7KCT0kKe7U

Check it out!

I'm on that video ^_^

(Chinese axiom)

#36 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:11 AM

GMechanism application and API were recently updated... The INI functions are fully working in the new C++ server and are lightning fast.

The server is also fully multithreaded - I had about 40 people on at once, and my massive for() loop wasn't doing so well... LSM's massive new game, SWvH is bringing in hundreds of new users XD
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#37 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

A ton is in store for the GMechanism API!

Soon enough it'll be re-written with a lot more PHP in the back-side of things, so it won't have to connect to the server's sockets unless using data streaming commands.

As well as an in-game purchasing system - make some money selling upgrades and unlockables in your game with the ease and security of PayPal

Also, I'll be adding MMO commands to it, to easily let you write an entire MMO with just a client and GMech API.

There will also be custom statistics tracking as well.

These features, plus many more, will be available in less than a month hopefully.

Stay tuned!

Edited by lukeescude, 05 March 2012 - 12:01 AM.

My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#38 kibblesbob

kibblesbob

"Xarrot Studios"

• GMC Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

This is definitely going to be big! Keep up the awesome work Luke!

#39 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

Thanks a ton!
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#40 land of games

land of games

han solos friend

• GMC Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

hi luke. keep it up. this will be awesome.

I have returned.

#41 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Thanks, land of games!

I'll be making the MMO commands soon. basically let just about anyone make their own MMORPG without the need for a server!
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#42 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Alright, school's out, so I'll be starting on the GMarket and the MMORPG commands soon. The MMO commands will cost a one-time fee of $20, for unlimited use in unlimited games. I apologize for it, but I need to support GMechanism somehow.
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#43 djk164

djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

you know what would be really amazing. When you put out your GMarket, make it so that it automatically anti-decompiles the games. So everything is more secure.

Bye old GMC!

#44 winnipegteacher

winnipegteacher

GMC Member

• 9 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

This would be exactly what I need if it supported GM Studio. Is there a plan for that to happen?

#45 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

This would be exactly what I need if it supported GM Studio. Is there a plan for that to happen?

Yes, Luke is working on that as we speak :D

(Chinese axiom)

#46 Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 13 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

Will there ever be a light version that doesn't require GMechanism account, logging in or any of that stuff? A version that can be run from a users own webspace?

And make it to where u can only play games with tag "demo".

#47 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Oh a light version... Yeah that would be pretty cool actually. I might just do that.
My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#48 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

Alright, some announcements:

Since YYG fixed the game ID bug in Studio, I can continue working on the Studio HTML5/Windows/Mac API ports. Currently, online highscores and achievements are working. Slowly but surely, everything will be moved over to the PHP backend.

As soon as the HTML5/Windows/Mac ports are done, I will begin work on the MMORPG commands - They will essentially function the same as Size43's GameMaker Server, without the lag and with all the social networking features GMechanism has to offer.

I'm guessing the ports will be done in the next few weeks, and the MMORPG commands of the API will take another few weeks. Remember I have to port everything to 8.0,8.1,HTML5/windows/mac.

As far as iOS and Android are concerned, I may never get to them, as the modules are $200 and not worth it, and I don't have an Android device so testing the Android port is near impossible.

Questions, comments, concerns, post up!

EDIT: The API for Game Maker 8.1 is finished and uploaded!

Edited by lukeescude, 19 June 2012 - 04:03 AM.

My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image

#49 size43

size43

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

As soon as the HTML5/Windows/Mac ports are done, I will begin work on the MMORPG commands - They will essentially function the same as Size43's GameMaker Server, without the lag and with all the social networking features GMechanism has to offer.

I'm not sure whether I like or hate the "competition", but you've got an interesting money-making tactic. We'll see whether it pays off :)

Edit:Woah, we seem to have the same ideas. You're working on the same things as I, or I am doing the same things as you...

Edited by size43, 19 June 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#50 lukeescude

lukeescude

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Haha I know, it's weird. I can't tell if I like the competition either... Back on the YYGF I was the one everyone went to for online help. Not anymore since it's gone :/

Anyways yeah trying to make money on something that you've made for free may not be a good idea.

How many users and games (that use your extension) do you have?

Edited by lukeescude, 19 June 2012 - 02:28 PM.

My 39dll Tutorial
Posted Image