Photo

Fatal Tournament 2: World Tour - WIP Topic!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

Fatal Tournament 2: World Tour

The WIP Topic!

WIP Version 2 Uploaded: 26/10/2011

This version contains the basic online play engine- featuring a lobby where players can select their team and see other players stats. You can only use a pistol in mutli-player in this version, and all enemy player guns point towards your mouse- I know it is lazy but I wasn't intending on having multi-player out so soon so really have it stripped down to basics!

It also has faster ammo and fuel refil speeds, speeding the game up thanks to some constructive critisism, keep it coming :)

And I nearly forgot- bullets have been sped up too; it's even more frantic!

What's new in Fatal Tournament 2?

• New challenges - each arena has three unique challenges to try and beat, and earn the best trophy in each!
  • Leveling up system with skill points to spend. Upgrade 5 key attributes to aid you in battle.
  • A whole new arsenal of weapons (with more to be added) to make battles more intense than before!
  • More powerups - Now play a larger role than before, from deflective shields to sentry guns, tactics will help you win!
  • Chat log system - Wandering how you died? Just scroll up to see who and what killed you!
  • Fully customisable matches - You choose what weapons will appear in boxes, how many kills needed to win, and more!
  • Customisable play - Choose what info you see, how much damage dealt, or enemies fuel display, it can all be chosen!
  • An in game tutorial to help grasp the basics of play.

Controls
A or Left - Move left
D or Right - Move right
W or Up - Jump
S or Down - Duck
Mouse - Aim
Left Mouse Button - Shoot
Right Mouse Button - Fly

Download!

Here is the download link (10.79MB)

Download Latest WIP!

This spoiler contains links to old WIP versions:

Spoiler

If you want to see what game play statistics are recorded, press 'V' on the menu screen.
Also please note, that there is only 1 play-able level in this demo!

Screenshots

Posted Image
The new menu screen.

Posted Image
New weapons.

Posted Image
More strategy.

Posted Image
Remote controlled missiles!

Posted Image
Challenges!

http://img191.images...screenshot5.png
The sniper rifel.

Is That It?

There is still a lot more for me to add, but before I get past any point of no return, I need feedback on how the game plays for people other than myself, who knows it inside out! I still have room to add 2 new weapons and 2 new powerups, so if you have any ideas for what they could be, please let me know! Once all weapons and powerups are programmed, I'll stick in a Team Deathmatch mode, create more arenas, and finally add Online Multiplayer! Then there is the music and sound effects to get sorted out properly, and a graphical overhaul, before the final release will be ready!

Edited by Soulsnatcher, 26 October 2011 - 10:55 PM.

#2 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

On another forum that I have posted this WIP, it has been suggested that the bullets from each weapon need to be sped up slightly, as at the moment aiming is a tad difficult.

Also, the ammo replenish (and fuel, for that matter) are too slow when not fully upgraded, so I am looking into rebalancing them to provide more action right from the start. Someone mentioned that the fact that they are slow just encourages kill stealing, and I am inclined to agree. If anyone else agrees that you need faster reload times, please say.

#3 walkingbush

walkingbush

GMC Member

• 447 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

Ey, Soulsnatcher! Good game so far man. Needs music D:

I didn't really notice anything wrong other than the fact that you can select 'Test' and 'Paris' but not play them. Also, needs team modes and you should make it so that you can turn off any two of the three "Need to Win" conditions, E.G. time and level to win. So it would just be a killfest.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my thoughts on reload times: you should make it slower at higher levels and faster at lower levels. I found that at level 5 or whatever is the max I never ran out of ammo... Kinda overpowered. Just my thoughts.

Edited by walkingbush, 24 August 2011 - 04:35 PM.

I don't always use signatures, but when I do, they are useful.

#4 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:43 PM

Ey, Soulsnatcher! Good game so far man. Needs music D:

I didn't really notice anything wrong other than the fact that you can select 'Test' and 'Paris' but not play them. Also, needs team modes and you should make it so that you can turn off any two of the three "Need to Win" conditions, E.G. time and level to win. So it would just be a killfest.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my thoughts on reload times: you should make it slower at higher levels and faster at lower levels. I found that at level 5 or whatever is the max I never ran out of ammo... Kinda overpowered. Just my thoughts.

Hey! Thanks for trying it out :) Havn't got around to getting music done for the game yet- I can't really decide what would go well with it! I havn't put all the sound effects in yet either, and some are just temporary til I can make/find better ones!

I deliberately made it so you couldn't select 'Test' and 'Paris'; the test level was an initial level which I built the engine in, and then kept it there to test the transitions between selected levels in the menu. As for Paris, the level just isn't ready yet, but hopefully will be in the next WIP release! :thumbsup:

Also, the win conditions can all be switched off, just run them down to 0 each, and you can play a FFA for as long as you want! (Or of course create any combination of victory conditions that you desire).

And thanks for your reload time input :) I have been so tied up in thinking that it is too slow at low levels, that I completely overlooked the fact that it could be too fast when fully upgraded! I have been tweaking, and it seems to me now much better at the start- but I'll see what it is like with a slightly slower reload at its max upgrade- thanks for that idea!

#5 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

Hey, waaah!? Why so few comments!

The game's looking great so far, the A.I.'s pretty smart (by my standards, anyway!). Pretty hard, and has a frantic pace!

Needs more playtesters! :D
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#6 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

Downloading now.
This game looks great. Can't wait to play!
EDIT:
When I click 'Play custom match' It doesn't start.

Edited by slam drago, 26 October 2011 - 10:55 PM.

My newest website. Check it out!
I support Cryset Games. Make money playing and making games!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
My avatar is best viewed in the lighter GMC theme.

#7 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

Hey, waaah!? Why so few comments!

The game's looking great so far, the A.I.'s pretty smart (by my standards, anyway!). Pretty hard, and has a frantic pace!

Needs more playtesters! :D

Thanks, yeah testers are key at the moment before I can really develop too much further. I need to balance the skill system mainly, for example the ammo was too slow to refill in WIP1, so I have sped that up in the just-uploaded version WIP2, and I hope that makes it easier to get into the game!

Downloading now.
This game looks great. Can't wait to play!

Thanks! Hopefully you arn't put off downloading WIP2, I'm hoping it gets battles going a little quicker (for new players, anyway), by giving you more ammo faster, which means more shooting- oh also I have sped up all the bullets speeds as well, almost forgot that, as I actually did this update a while ago, just havn't uploaded til now!

#8 Hello-World

Hello-World

GMC Member

• 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

GAME OF THE YEAR!!! Seriously, this thing ROX!

You HAVE to finish this game. I started playing it thinking I was just gonna play for 1 or 2 minutes, and I wound up playing for a solid hour! Even though the game isn't finished (and the start up segment was very confusing), I think this will turn out to be one of the best GM games ever done.

My only complaints are the odd start up where it asks you your name right away and the jumping is sort of annoying. You should make it so that the player can double jump. That would make it more fun in my opinion. Oh, I love the menu by the way.

Also, what are you using for multiplayer? I don't see a 39dll anywhere, are you using Mplay?

#9 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

GAME OF THE YEAR!!! Seriously, this thing ROX!

You HAVE to finish this game. I started playing it thinking I was just gonna play for 1 or 2 minutes, and I wound up playing for a solid hour! Even though the game isn't finished (and the start up segment was very confusing), I think this will turn out to be one of the best GM games ever done.

My only complaints are the odd start up where it asks you your name right away and the jumping is sort of annoying. You should make it so that the player can double jump. That would make it more fun in my opinion. Oh, I love the menu by the way.

Also, what are you using for multiplayer? I don't see a 39dll anywhere, are you using Mplay?

Awesome! It is comments like this that keeps me going, so thank you! :thumbsup:

The start up section is only a place holder while I get the menu screens sorted (which I am working on for the next update). I just request the player to enter their name so that if they do try out the online mode then the name is set so that duplicate names can not be used, and also for the in game text.

Double jumping is something I had overlooked- and therefore not considered adding. I will add it in the next update to see how it works- there is potential for the number of possible double jumps to be increased with the skill sets, or extra double jumps could be found within powerup boxes, I think that would be good actually! So the player has one double jump, but if they pick up the powerup, they can "double" jump as many times as they need to within a certain time, or they get say 10 double jumps to use... Food for thought!

The multiplayer uses 39dll- the file should be there, it doesn't get removed at game end (I don't think, it's not ticked now).

#10 Hello-World

Hello-World

GMC Member

• 105 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

Hey, cool that you use 39dll. I was kinda worried it was Mplay. Totally PSYCHED fore the next update! =)