• Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:11 AM

g5NQ3.png

Name: Die
Category: Puzzle/Platformer
Size: 4.7 MB
Download: Here

Information:

"I have been living here for as long as I can remember... trapped in this abandoned factory.
Every attempt at escaping have been futile, it's almost as if these walls don't want me to leave... as if they were alive."

In my entry for the GMC Summer Jam 2011, you play as the level, as opposed to the player. Your job is to do whatever you can to stop him from reaching the ending. How you may ask? Move around platforms, spinning blades and cogs and solve puzzles to trick the player into falling to his doom.

Due to the time restrictions, I only managed to add 8 levels. Therefore, think of this as a demo. I will probably extend it if it does well in the competition.

Screenshots:

jjj7h.pngr7sPs.png

TgLqJ.png9mV6Y.png

Edited by Davve, 18 October 2015 - 02:28 PM.

#2 michael pw

michael pw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1488 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:48 AM

This game is awesome! really unique concept, i like the way you move things to win rather than moving the player :P!
great work. I would love this to be made into a full blown game, i understand 72 hrs is no time to make loads of levels ;P!

Known as MishMash on the internet, If only my username could be changed :D?

Posted Image

Working on Sharp Edge, a 3D Level designer which exports to GMMOD and textures, with a vast toolset, and fancy GUI. ( So far, software is only going to be distributed with my game, in the future, it will be up for public use and with the ability to customise the software using the Plugin System to suite your games needs.)
Also working on 3D Multiplayer FPS Global Anarchy Denied Operations.

#3 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:14 AM

Darn, this was my original idea! The only reason I didn't make it was because I don't have the experience to program AI in the allotted time...
Anyway, it's really polished and I liked it! If you make more levels later on, I'd definitely download it.

The only issue I had was that sometimes I couldn't grab things. You have to be quite precise or else you'd end up moving the view and losing the level. But that's just a minor thing.
I also had a hard time beating the first level because of this:
Spoiler

I did go back and beat the whole thing though. Overall, nice game!

P.S. Your game's folder is right beside one called Don't Die. I just though that was funny.

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 02 August 2011 - 01:19 AM.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#4 Klassic

Klassic

Magnesium Ninja

• GMC Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:18 AM

I like the concept, but it was incredibly difficult to control (for me, at least). I think that with a bit more tweaking and work it would have been much better, but for a restricted timeline I think you did very well!

Follow us on TWITTER for constant updates!

Magnesium Ninja Website

#5 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:20 AM

Thanks everyone :D

for object obj_player:

Error in code at line 215:
y=i.y-48
^
at position 22: Unknown variable y

Where/how did you place the platform when you got that error?

Edited by Davve, 03 May 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#6 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:23 AM

I like the concept, but it was incredibly difficult to control (for me, at least).

Yeah that sums it up for me too. The concept and technical challenge certainly makes the game noteworthy though.

I'd like to see this game extended. It definitely has potential!

#7 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

Quick grammar mistake:
It says: "as if these walls doesn't want", instead of "as if these walls don't want".
:P
I've reviewed it in my post in the actual topic though.
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#8 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Quick grammar mistake:
It says: "as if these walls doesn't want", instead of "as if these walls don't want".

Oops :P

Where?

Edited by Davve, 02 August 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#9 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

Game itself is pretty fine, however I really wish there were WASD controls for moving camera around, and possibly controls to zoom in\out.
Panning camera while you are moving item around is really a trouble, and often player manages to bypass obstacle while you're trying to 'catch' that single point to place it.
But otherwise, game seemed to be well put together.
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#10 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

Allright, I've seen dozens of contestants updating their games during these voting times, so I'll just go ahead.

• Fixed the infamous Unknown variable y error.
  • Added better instructions on the first level.
  • Added WASD/Arrow keys controls for moving the view.

These are all minor changes, that doesn't exactly give my chance a better chance at winning (since it's the gameplay, graphics and music that normally takes care of does that.)

#11 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

Why does the player carry a gun even though he never has any use for it? :P

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#12 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

Why does the player carry a gun even though he never has any use for it? :P

I was thinking about having the player using his gun to activate buttons in later levels, but I never got that far. :P

#13 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:59 AM

Quick grammar mistake:

Oops :P

Where?

Sorry about that, my post was delayed. You can see it now. Your game got a pretty high vote, though unfortunately it didn't make my top 3...
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#14 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1609 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

Howdy! I apologize that it took so long to review your game. For the sake of time, I've decided to simply upload my raw materials for the 37 games I played and reviewed. For yours (and all others'), I recorded audio of myself playing so that I could go back through and type out my live reactions and feelings; now, however, I'm instead just giving you the audio itself. Note that during the process of reviewing game after game, I changed some of my methods and goals; therefore, your review may or may not contain the following:

• Good, clear audio.
  • Terrible, spotty audio.
  • References to +1 and -1 etc. (which I had used for part of my review process for judging, before the vote time had ended).
  • Concise descriptions of what I like and don't like.
  • Long rambles about what I like and don't like.
  • Emotive grunts and hurrahs.
  • Outspoken aggravation at some game-breaking bug(s).
  • Disqualification (from my competition judgment/vote) for copyright infringement.
  • Unrelated tangents from my mind wondering.
  • An extra text file or recorded "post script" stating more about the game as an afterthought, after I thought I'd finished reviewing.
  • Long spans of time with no real audio -- which usually means I was quite engrossed into your game. Good job there if so. $;^ ]
  • Long spans of time with terrible, spotty audio, in which you can tell I'm trying to tell you something, but I didn't do a good job recording. Wow, sorry if this is the case for yours. $:^ (
This link ( http://www.mediafire.../?67g4j40c2xwn2 ) will take you to my list of all the reviews. You can download yours -- along with anyone else's in case you're curious and/or want to compare. $:^ J

If you would like me to replay and re-review your game -- either because the audio is atrocious or because you've greatly improved your stuff since last year's Jam, or even something like, somehow I missed something and you have information that you feel would change my whole view of your project -- just let me know, and I'll see what I can do. ~nodnod~

Oh, by the way, (a message I'm only inserting for a few of these games,) before I saw that my reviews wouldn't make the voting deadline (um last year ha), I jotted down your title as one I'd be considering for my vote. $:^ D (I apologize of course that my vote didn't help your results, but I thought you'd want to know I held yours with high esteem.) Final addition: for whatever worth you find in this info, I only just now read through your thread, and it appears I got your fixed WASD-view, non-error version. ~nod~

Many regards,
theUndiscovered ~ Brandon W. Horton ~ ParodyKnaveBob ~ $:^ J