#1 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Want a cool signature bar like this one? Click it to make one!
Posted Image

Description
This game is a sidescrolling shooter, where you play as a secret agent. Just as you finish up one of your most impressive missions, you realize your mistake. Someone had seen you, and many more foes and been forewarned of your whereabouts. Your only chance at survival is to fight your way through the horde of black garbed ninjas to, hopefully, find refuge on the other side. I've just updated the game, and it now includes a bunch of new features.

Features

• Infinitely playable level with random, smooth terrain (New level generated weekly)
  • The ability to enter "slow-motion" mode for more intense battle
  • Two different styles of ninjas (Long range and close)
  • Platforms added
  • "Can't Swim" mode added
  • More Powerups!
  • Bodies of the best agents on the ground as you pass them

Game Powerups
The game currently has 4 powerups. The first one, boosted health, is attained if you reach 150 feet without losing any health. Boosted slow-motion is attained in the same way, except you have to not use slow-motion at any point during those first 150 feet. There's a new one, which is boosted ammo. This one is received by reaching 150 feet with continuous movement (meaning you can't stop running at any point). There is a final powerup that will appear in the form of an actual visible object on the map around 260 feet or so. This gives you a fully automatic machine gun for 30 seconds.

Online Highscores
Full highscore list now available here. The highscores will be reset each week when the new level is generated (12:00 AM Sunday, GMT-5). This is to ensure that there is always competition, as well as allowing cheaters to be cleared out of the system. It also serves as a way (in conjunction with the seeded levels) to provide a fair playing field for all of the players. NOTICE: I'd just like to mention that whatever you enter as your agent name WILL appear on the leaderboards if you get a highscore. Please keep it clean or it will be edited/removed. You can opt out of score submission by leaving your username blank.

New "Can't Swim" Mode
The object of this mode is the same as the normal levels. However, in this mode, stepping in the water will drain your heatlh. Also, the entire level is water. Impossible, you say? No. Kill ninjas and jump across on their floating corpses to survive! I also have plans to expand on this mode even further in the future.

Download
Download (4.23 MB) -- Version 2.0

Screenshot
Posted Image

Credits
Furritus -- Human sprites and a few others
IceMetalPunk -- Epic banner
JonathanPzone -- Epic screenshot
Davido01 and ProPro -- Epic fans

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoy it! It was really fun to make, and I hope it shows!
~CoolGamrSms

Edited by CoolGamrSms, 13 August 2011 - 05:15 AM.

Help me finally finish my game! Click Here!
Tri-Level Dice | Icon Editor | Don't Die (GMC Jam)

Posted Image

#2 Davido01

Davido01

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 948 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

Nice game. Like the concept plus you've done it well.

I beat your highscore BTW. :P

I got 373.

EDIT: Woah its automatic. WTF. I was just about to upload a screenshot lol. Or you are psychic and read my post before I posted it. -_-

Edited by Davido01, 01 August 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#3 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

Yes, it's automatic :) I will reclaim my glory, eventually. I'm glad you liked the game! I have 2 hours left, any suggestions as to what I should add/fix?

Posted Image

#4 Davido01

Davido01

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

Maybe random scenery in the background, just to make it a bit more interesting when playing along. But gameplay-wise it seems fine.

EDIT: Oh and maybe have the gun have a clip so you have to reload it, would make it require more skill rather than just spraying. But thats personal preference I guess.

Edited by Davido01, 01 August 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#5 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

I thought of that, but it seems like it would make it overly hard. I'll try and add it if I have time. How many shots do you think? Around 24?

EDIT: If I add that, I'll have to reset the leaderboards to make it fair. Is it worth it?

Edited by CoolGamrSms, 01 August 2011 - 10:02 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Davido01

Davido01

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:04 PM

I thought of that, but it seems like it would make it overly hard. I'll try and add it if I have time. How many shots do you think? Around 24?

EDIT: If I add that, I'll have to reset the leaderboards to make it fair. Is it worth it?

Yeah quite a few. Needs playtesting really. But when it comes to the higher distances like 300 feet + it becomes more about dodging rather than shooting as there are just too many enemies and they have too high health.

EDIT: Also if it could store your name once you've typed it once, would be really handy too.

Edited by Davido01, 01 August 2011 - 10:10 PM.

#7 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Yeah quite a few. Needs playtesting really. But when it comes to the higher distances like 300 feet + it becomes more about dodging rather than shooting as there are just too many enemies and they have too high health.

EDIT: Also if it could store your name once you've typed it once, would be really handy too.

I'll use the registry so that it saves even after you close the game. I could lower the health on the enemies and keep it fairly constant instead of it being changed. I think that would help.

Posted Image

#8 Davido01

Davido01

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

Hmm I agree with keeping the health constant. Just the spawning of more enemies makes it more challenging, all the increasing of health does is make it pretty much pointless to shoot them as it takes ages to kill even one.

#9 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

EEN YUE FASE PROPRO 549 FEET!
My newest website. Check it out!
I support Cryset Games. Make money playing and making games!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
My avatar is best viewed in the lighter GMC theme.

#10 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

(\__/)

#11 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Alright, with this next update I'm clearing the boards. Sorry guys. There will be a reload system, dying animations, buxfixes, and a new feature I thought up where if you still have all of your health at 150 feet, you get a boost and your meter can hold 200 health instead of 100.

Posted Image

#12 Davido01

Davido01

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

Hmm nice thinking with the health boost, will certainly make it more nerve-wracking in those first 150 feet, and make it a bit less boring in those 150 feet. :D

Edited by Davido01, 01 August 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#13 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

(\__/)

#14 Davido01

Davido01

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

Don't think the boosted health is working. I got it but still seemed to die when I lost 100. (or what I thought was 100, when green bar went to bottom I died, shouldn't it go to red then when that goes to bottom I die?)

So just might want to get that verified.

#15 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:40 PM

I could do it that way. You did have double, it just doesn't seem lile it because you can't see it. It just lost less each hit instead of doubling in size.

Posted Image

#16 Davido01

Davido01

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

Oh OK, I must have played right crap then lol that run, didn't feel like it though. :rolleyes:

EDIT: A crosshair would be cool, didnt realise until now that it was the mouse cursor. Just throwing out ideas.

Edited by Davido01, 01 August 2011 - 11:49 PM.

#17 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 287 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:08 AM

Oh OK, I must have played right crap then lol that run, didn't feel like it though. :rolleyes:

EDIT: A crosshair would be cool, didnt realise until now that it was the mouse cursor. Just throwing out ideas.

done! i think it looks pretty sweet, working on BG stuff now

#18 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

Neat game! You pulled off the slow motion effect very nicely. The graphics were also nice and with the sound/music gives a nice arcade feeling. I've only played it once so far but I'm definitely going to try again for a better score. Well done ;)

#gmc - It's the goddamn GMC IRC
Beat Hell Pre-Alpha v2.1.0 | Slender2d | Creeping Insanity

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png
I am looking for a pixel/3D artist to team up with me to work on some games. Send me a message if interested.

#19 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

I find it sad that people can't enjoy this without cheating. Anyways, obnoxious scores have been removed. On a happier note, thank you guys for all the great feedback! :)

Edited by CoolGamrSms, 02 August 2011 - 09:26 PM.

Posted Image

#20 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:50 AM

Haha, yeah. I threw them in at the last minute with a sound effect generator program I found. I plan on adding more levels (and possibly enemies tailored to the level's theme) after the jam. I would've before it was over, but I ran out of time.

EDIT: How are people getting such ridiculous scores?!

Edited by CoolGamrSms, 03 August 2011 - 04:27 AM.

Posted Image

#21 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

Really sorry guys, high scores had to be flushed again. I just updated the system (server side, not breaking the rules) so it will work with more than lowercase letters. Also, userbars are coming soon with your username and highscore!

Proud to release some sexy new userbars. They auto-update with your highscore. Check 'em out!

Edited by CoolGamrSms, 03 August 2011 - 10:39 AM.

Posted Image

#22 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

Nice game! Online features are nice, and I currently am ranked 17. :) I'm planning on playing again later, and trying to beat the high score. Wish me luck!
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

#23 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:53 PM

I had fun with it.

Bugs:
Sometimes the terrain flashes( Is it resetting the primitive or something )

Suggestions:
Maybe once you shoot a throwing star and it stops, subsequent shots should go through it or maybe even knock it back at the thrower.

Also:
Posted Image
B-)

BRB 3 years for University

#24 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:35 PM

I like the knocking it back at its thrower idea, that could get fun in slow-mo ^_^

Also, I have no clue why the terrain flashes. That was one of the weirdest bugs I've found. It seems unfixable :unsure:

Edited by CoolGamrSms, 04 August 2011 - 10:36 PM.

Posted Image

#25 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

What, such a glowing review of my game, and no vote? (Kidding lol.)
Your game is fun, I very nearly beat the high score, then realized that the Internet connection was off, so no score for me. :(
Maybe next time...

TheUltimate

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#26 ash47

ash47

O_o

• GMC Member
  • 1347 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:38 AM

Nice :D
Posted Image

Rate this topic: 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

PRESS IT
\/

#27 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:59 AM

Thanks! I'm working on a new mode where it will be a lot more difficult. There will be a separate high score board for it. As for how it's going to be more difficult... well, you don't get to know that yet ;)

Posted Image

#28 storkEXEC

storkEXEC

GMC Member

• 365 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

I got to about 300 feet until my PC randomly crashed. It tends to do that with 3d games, this wouldn't happen to be 3d would it? lol
Bibby the Beaver beta v 2.5

Rabid Ace: Enter the Darkness beta v 1

Eye CANDY. You can't live off candy, too much of it makes you hyper then sluggish, fat, and gives you cavities

My cousins favorite food is broccoli.

#29 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

It's not 3D, but the terrain IS drawn with a lot of primitives. I'm thinking of adding in another option for the terrain for older computers.

EDIT: Huge update! See the first post for details!

Edited by CoolGamrSms, 11 August 2011 - 09:29 PM.

Posted Image

#30 zaceron

zaceron

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

Interesting game, looks like crap, repetitive enemies, horrible sound effects and the music do get old after a while.

The controls and the physics on the other hand works very well, such as in the can't swim lvl, where they can stand on floating corpses. also like how ninjas can kill each others with stars and how you can ricochet them back in their face. SO all in all you need more gameplay.

#31 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:14 AM

Thanks for the votes, everyone! I tied for second place in the contest. Because of your support, I plan to continue with this project! Next up on my list is online multiplayer, though I'm not sure to what caliber yet. I've updated the first post to look a lot better, thanks to some help from IMP and JonathanPzone!

Posted Image

#32 PwnageMage

PwnageMage

Nobody Pwns This Mage

• 1864 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:57 AM

It was pretty fun. It was cool to see how much progress you're making on the leaderboards as you play the game. More varieties of enemies and more powerups would definitely help bring more challenge to the game.

Prepare yourself for the Phlud

#33 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1609 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Howdy! I apologize that it took so long to review your game. For the sake of time, I've decided to simply upload my raw materials for the 37 games I played and reviewed. For yours (and all others'), I recorded audio of myself playing so that I could go back through and type out my live reactions and feelings; now, however, I'm instead just giving you the audio itself. Note that during the process of reviewing game after game, I changed some of my methods and goals; therefore, your review may or may not contain the following:

• Good, clear audio.
  • Terrible, spotty audio.
  • References to +1 and -1 etc. (which I had used for part of my review process for judging, before the vote time had ended).
  • Concise descriptions of what I like and don't like.
  • Long rambles about what I like and don't like.
  • Emotive grunts and hurrahs.
  • Outspoken aggravation at some game-breaking bug(s).
  • Disqualification (from my competition judgment/vote) for copyright infringement.
  • Unrelated tangents from my mind wandering.
  • An extra text file or recorded "post script" stating more about the game as an afterthought, after I thought I'd finished reviewing.
  • Long spans of time with no real audio -- which usually means I was quite engrossed into your game. Good job there if so. $;^ ]
  • Long spans of time with terrible, spotty audio, in which you can tell I'm trying to tell you something, but I didn't do a good job recording. Wow, sorry if this is the case for yours. $:^ (
This link ( http://www.mediafire.../?67g4j40c2xwn2 ) will take you to my list of all the reviews. You can download yours -- along with anyone else's in case you're curious and/or want to compare. $:^ J

If you would like me to replay and re-review your game -- either because my audio is atrocious or because you've greatly improved your stuff since last year's Jam, (note: I didn't see this "Can't Swim" mode in the game -- was that added post-jam?), or even something like, somehow I missed something and you have information that you feel would change my whole view of your project -- just let me know, and I'll see what I can do. ~nodnod~

Many regards,

Edited by ParodyKnaveBob, 19 October 2012 - 09:46 PM.

theUndiscovered ~ Brandon W. Horton ~ ParodyKnaveBob ~ $:^ J

#34 Rare

Rare

rawr

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Got 700 almost 800.

The graphics and music are horrible, but the gameplay even though it was repetitive it was fun dodging and slowing down movement.

I think you need more enemies, with different weapons which can be used countered against them like how you can knock back a shuriken and make it hit another ninja.

Edited by Rare, 22 October 2012 - 06:59 AM.

._.

#35 Failboy Studio

Failboy Studio

GMC Member

• 61 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

awesome game... graphics are kinda lame, but not TOO bad, (i seen worse finished titles) the font is CLASS
I need to make myself a font like that , :biggrin:

the physics are AWESOME, they are what make this game playable...
and it IS highly playable,

I was just wondering how you pulled off the slowmotion i need a similar effect...
maybe you could PM me your method? :)
I am an Posted Image in the GM Quiz! DAYUM! thats an outdated quiz.

#36 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

xD what do you expect for graphics made in such little time, i did my best

#37 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

Oh wow, I didn't know anyone even played this game anymore. Cool!

@ParodyKnaveBob: Thanks for the review. Yes, several features were added post-jam in the second version. You should check it out if you liked the original! I'm still listening to the review, thanks for that!

@Furritus: hai :D

Posted Image