PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

Congratulations, You're Alive.
by PF
made in :GM7:

Hello, all. This is my entry for the GMC Jam. It's a small adventure/exploration game. Also, the first game I've finished in several years. Explore 30-some-odd rooms, and find out the meaning of "being alive".

For the record, this is my first ever attempt at making a game of this kind, and the first non-Arcade game I've made in close to five years, so I'd love to know your thoughts on my step outside my comfort zone.

Screens:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Download:
Here. (2ish MB)
YYG
GameJolt

Enjoy.

-PF

Edited by PurpleFuzzy, 19 August 2011 - 08:18 AM.

#2 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

I would play, but my computer is hating me right now so I am not able to download <_<

#3 Fuzzle

Fuzzle

The Super Pickle

• 163 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

Hey, cool, nice game, yeah, it's awesome, nice work, good to see you finished it, awesome job, yeah, awesome, good job, proud of you.

ps- Do you know what's for dinner tonight?

#4 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

I don't get how I'm supposed to use those buttons.
I'm stuck :blink:

#5 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hey, Orange. Thanks for checking the game out. Each of the sets of colored buttons unlocks a door somewhere when you jump on them in a specific order.

-PF

Edited by PurpleFuzzy, 02 August 2011 - 07:28 PM.

#6 terrence

terrence

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

Hey, Orange. Thanks for checking the game out. Each of the sets of colored buttons unlocks a door somewhere when you jump on them in a specific order.

-PF

I don't really understand what my life is supposed to do.

#7 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1077 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:09 AM

For such a small game, it's got a lot of content!
I really liked it, especially the puzzle solving bits. You should give some sort of indication as to which buttons to hit near the start, I can see a lot of people getting stuck at that part.

TheUltimate

#8 terrence

terrence

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:09 AM

Yes please can I have a clue??

#9 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:20 AM

You have to hit each set of buttons in a certain order to unlock the next door. If you want to know the combinations, read the spoiler below:
Spoiler

Thanks for checking the game out.

-PF

#10 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

How would we have figured that out if you hadn't told us? o_0
By trying over and over?

#11 terrence

terrence

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

Do the buttons in the first room reset after you've failed to do the correct combination or do they keep chaining into the same combo until you leave the room? Because I could have sworn that before you gave us the spoiler I tried all six possible three-button combinations, and nothing happened, so I assumed I had to leave the room to reset it since there was no indication of a change.

#12 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

By trying over and over?

In the limited time of the Jam, I had the logic of, "Seiklus did it, so can I."
In the interim since that time, I have realized that Seiklus is a much better game.

Do the buttons in the first room reset after you've failed to do the correct combination or do they keep chaining into the same combo until you leave the room?

The buttons reset after every three hits.

-PF

#13 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

By trying over and over?

In the limited time of the Jam, I had the logic of, "Seiklus did it, so can I."
In the interim since that time, I have realized that Seiklus is a much better game.

I don't seem to recall any button pressing in seiklus o_O
Not to say that I am much of a seiklus fan.

Edited by orange08, 06 August 2011 - 10:42 PM.

#14 Fuzzle

Fuzzle

The Super Pickle

• 163 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

In Seiklus there was no guidance as to what you had to do either. Also, I vaguely recall some puzzle with a piano or something, and you had to hit the notes in some order. It's the same idea, just with better graphics.

Most adventure games don't spell out instructions for you. That's what makes them an adventure.

I don't think PF's game is that great, (sorry, brother), but I agree with his design in not giving the player instructions.

Edited by Fuzzle, 06 August 2011 - 11:11 PM.

#15 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for your thoughts on the game, guys. Don't worry, Fuzzle, I don't like it either.

I've updated the first post with a mirror on YYG. So... That's fun.

-PF

#16 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1350 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

Howdy! I apologize that it took so long to review your game. For the sake of time, I've decided to simply upload my raw materials for the 37 games I played and reviewed. For yours (and all others'), I recorded audio of myself playing so that I could go back through and type out my live reactions and feelings; now, however, I'm instead just giving you the audio itself. Note that during the process of reviewing game after game, I changed some of my methods and goals; therefore, your review may or may not contain the following:

• Good, clear audio.
  • Terrible, spotty audio.
  • References to +1 and -1 etc. (which I had used for part of my review process for judging, before the vote time had ended).
  • Concise descriptions of what I like and don't like.
  • Long rambles about what I like and don't like.
  • Emotive grunts and hurrahs.
  • Outspoken aggravation at some game-breaking bug(s).
  • Disqualification (from my competition judgment/vote) for copyright infringement.
  • Unrelated tangents from my mind wondering.
  • An extra text file or recorded "post script" stating more about the game as an afterthought, after I thought I'd finished reviewing.
  • Long spans of time with no real audio -- which usually means I was quite engrossed into your game. Good job there if so. $;^ ]
  • Long spans of time with terrible, spotty audio, in which you can tell I'm trying to tell you something, but I didn't do a good job recording. Wow, sorry if this is the case for yours. $:^ (
This link ( http://www.mediafire.../?67g4j40c2xwn2 ) will take you to my list of all the reviews. You can download yours -- along with anyone else's in case you're curious and/or want to compare. $:^ J

If you would like me to replay and re-review your game -- either because the audio is atrocious or because you've greatly improved your stuff since last year's Jam, or even something like, somehow I missed something and you have information that you feel would change my whole view of your project -- just let me know, and I'll see what I can do. ~nodnod~

Many regards,

#17 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Wow! Sorry it took me so long to actually see that you replied to this. Thanks so much for playing the game and posting this audio file. Hard to believe it's been about a year since this Jam, right? Much appreciated, sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users