How often do YOU give up on projects?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#51 VerdantRain

VerdantRain

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

I used to try to learn everything at once. I had sprite tutorials, piano lessons, music theory books, programming books, and writing advice in front of me at once, ready to take on my dream of game designer. So...Needless to say, I gave up after the tutorials because it became a bit daunting to do every little thing that I planned to do. I've only given up on one game, my only game, and that was a while ago. I'm trying to get out into the world as a writer for games now, so, I guess I really don't have a new project just yet. Haha.

#52 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2796 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

I give up in projects a lot! XD, before each month I deleted 1 or 2 GB of .gmk but I'm currently working on DPReg System and WoD and I'm not quitting on them :D and now i only delete 1 MB each moth of things i do for DPReg System and WoD

Stop Email spamming and start + button spamming  :thumbsup:

Note: I'm a direct person, some of my posts might sound as insults or similar, but I can assure they aren't :)

Note 2: Don't ask me to spoon feed you answers -_-

#53 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

I'm not quitting on them

That's what they all say... -_-
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#54 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2796 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

I'm not quitting on them

That's what they all say... -_-

I know right XD

but this 1 im sure im not quiting on them you can check the things i have done :D i started 2 days ago :D http://www.debels.co....php?f=17&t=161

Note: I'm a direct person, some of my posts might sound as insults or similar, but I can assure they aren't :)

#55 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7971 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

Let's be careful talking about "giving up" on projects. Because there's two different types of reasons:

Type 1. you give up because you lose interest... and/or don't have the discipline to finish anything.

Type 2. you give up because you learn a new capability, and decide to work in a new direction.

Type 2 is part of the learning process. You change direction, but you learned a lot from the attempt. So even though you don't finish the game, you gained something from the effort.

But Type 1 is procrastination. You aren't cut out for game making. You're just a loser who will probably wind up in rehab... or prison. :biggrin:

#56 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7529 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

But Type 1 is procrastination. You aren't cut out for game making. You're just a loser who will probably wind up in rehab... or prison. :biggrin:

Gee, that's a nice way to help people not procrastinate. :biggrin:

Edited by makerofthegames, 15 October 2011 - 12:28 PM.

Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?131124npmp3.png Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?1311

Mirrors Avatar by Stubbjax1337. 3000. 3999. 4444. Karoshi 2.0 custom levels. religious belief time: christian
http://ask.fm/AnUntitledAbridger

#57 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2796 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Let's be careful talking about "giving up" on projects. Because there's two different types of reasons:

Type 1. you give up because you lose interest... and/or don't have the discipline to finish anything.

Type 2. you give up because you learn a new capability, and decide to work in a new direction.

Type 2 is part of the learning process. You change direction, but you learned a lot from the attempt. So even though you don't finish the game, you gained something from the effort.

my reason is the type 2

#58 Geordie Bloke

Geordie Bloke

GMC Member

• 31 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

I haven't released a game. I've worked on them, but every few months, I'd realise the story was convoluted (or that something popular, probably Doctor Who, had just done the same plot), the gameplay was clunky, or that it might work better with another style of play. A few months on from that, I'd go through the files and grab the basic concept for the central character, a few scraps of storyline and possibly some enemy sprites.

I've got a rule: don't announce a project as a work-in-progress until it can be played through from start to finish. My current project is at least 95% complete, and I still think it's too early to officially announce it.

#59 Adequate

Adequate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

PLAN EVERYTHING

as in , ima do this then this then this ... *time lapse* ... then ima finished
:)

#60 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7971 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

I haven't released a game. I've worked on them, but every few months, I'd realise the story was convoluted...

I think that happens to lots of people. Personally, I think many of us spend too much time worrying about storyline -- and not enough time coding. It's understandable because imagining different stories is fun. But sometimes it becomes a preoccupation that actually keeps us from finishing a game.

as in , ima do this then this then this ... *time lapse* ... then ima finished

+1 for that game design advice, Kanye. :biggrin:

#61 razourik

razourik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1871 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

Never; six years later, I'm still working on my first GM game.

Determination. I salute you, sir.

I give up on my projects often, but after deleting my best game I ever made, I haven't deleted any game since.
Posted Image

#62 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

I seem to give up anything when I get to the stage where I have to make graphics - I hate animating, so I pretty much just end up making tools...

Actually, while I like the coding - I always get turned off the game by the balancing, art, music, levels, concepts, enjoyability... actually everything but the coding!
It's so annoying when I have loads of ideas but can't make the game fun!

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

The destination is much harder to reach when you don't want to walk towards it.

#63 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2796 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

I seem to give up anything when I get to the stage where I have to make graphics - I hate animating, so I pretty much just end up making tools...

Actually, while I like the coding - I always get turned off the game by the balancing, art, music, levels, concepts, enjoyability... actually everything but the coding!

i know what your saying it happened before i started making WoD

#64 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7971 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

...while I like the coding - I always get turned off the game by the balancing, art, music, levels, concepts, enjoyability... actually everything but the coding!

There are artists, musicians, level designers, etc... looking for someone like you to write code.

You just need to find each other. :wink:

#65 MudbudGoldfish

MudbudGoldfish

Indie Game Dev Team

• 494 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

I've only given up on one game... But I tried for weeks getting it to work, it was just to complex and I had bad coding practices back then

Posted Image

#66 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

...while I like the coding - I always get turned off the game by the balancing, art, music, levels, concepts, enjoyability... actually everything but the coding!

There are artists, musicians, level designers, etc... looking for someone like you to write code.

You just need to find each other. :wink:

Yes, but I would still have to make the game fun and balanced. I can make it flashy and complex... but who wants to play a really complicated game with cool features that sucks?

Due to that fact - I never really even get to the stage where I would be willing to ask for resources and know I'm not just wasting the time of the people that answer. ( I always feel really guilty if I do that )

EDIT: Btw. I love your signature. :P

Edited by Docopoper, 20 October 2011 - 08:57 PM.

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

#67 Pingcheck

Pingcheck

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

I used to quite a bit, until I had the idea. Since then I've been a man obsessed, even 3 years into development. I have a mental list of things I'd like to try after this project is finished, but I refuse to work on them at all until all is said and done.

#68 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:53 AM

Been working on the one project diligently since November 2007. Apart from the time I created Bullet Life over an 8 month course. But when I made BL, I didn't stop until it was finished.

#69 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1470 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

Too often. I'm hoping Studio can help give me a motivation boost.

#70 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2796 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

I'm still working on the same project, but DPSystem is dead XD

edit: I'm also working on WoD Website, WoD Forum and a Ad thing for HTML5 that would be really cool when i finish it for more info about the ad thing visit: This Link XD

Edit: i forgot that was a staff only topic XD sorry :S

Text:

ok, I'm making this ad thing that is based on what people like and what they don't like example:

I like Candy, but i don't like ice-cream so the system would find things related to candy and other stuff, but it wont add things related to ice-cream

That database would be saved in local computer so each person can see the ads they want

If you would like me to publish it in .gex when i finish it +1 this post

Edited by BlueDebel, 13 January 2012 - 12:26 AM.

#71 lmbarns

lmbarns

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 60 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

Abandoned project or abandoned idea? Cause I've abandoned many projects of the same idea.

Like I built much of a 3d game but then couldn't get multiplayer working so it's on hold. But then I started learning about and making basic 2d games for mobile, one of which quickly turned into the same game design as the 3d one, but completely from scratch again.

I even dropped over $1,000 cash into the 3d game for licenses to animated models which I haven't been able to make sprites of yet despite having tons of animated 3d fbx models.

I've burned so many hours finding art, installing programs to make my own as placeholders, or try to make 2d art from my 3d models.

I've seen software for making sprite sheets from animated models but then not all the textures load from my models so you get some killer sprite but missing a face or something major :(

#72 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3165 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:06 AM

I've stopped working on many projects, either due to some complicated bug or that I cannot whip out the quality graphics I require.

Although, the projects I have stopped working on I almost always go back to them at some point, implementing new programming techniques or game ideas that I came up with later.

I've promised myself to stay with my current project until the very end. So far, I have been working on it since June 2011 I think.

#73 lewis96

lewis96

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

Quite often :) I think I'm gonna finish this scrolling shooter I'm making though... I've been working on it for three weeks.

John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."  :)

#74 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:24 AM

Quite often :) I think I'm gonna finish this scrolling shooter I'm making though... I've been working on it for three weeks.

3 Weeks ain't nothing. Took me 8 months to make the shooter in my sig.

#75 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:44 AM

Been working on my current project for 8 months... I think I'll be done by this Summer! :D

remar_sprite.pngimage.pngzane_sprite.png

If you want to talk about Christianity, PM me.

#76 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

Been working on my current project for 8 months... I think I'll be done by this Summer! :D

Now that's more like it!

#77 lewis96

lewis96

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

Now that's more like it!

Wow... I don't think I could stand working on a game for that long! I wonder, do you think having a team would speed things up a bit?

John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."  :)

#78 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:03 AM

Now that's more like it!

Wow... I don't think I could stand working on a game for that long! I wonder, do you think having a team would speed things up a bit?

Well, I do have makerofthegames helping with boss design, as well as concepts. We bounce ideas off of each other. As far as teams, I tried to find someone to do the music, but failed and am now making the music myself. That slowed me a bit. Maybe when I am done I'll try to find music again...

remar_sprite.pngimage.pngzane_sprite.png

If you want to talk about Christianity, PM me.

#79 tari_minyatur_dw

tari_minyatur_dw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

I never really give up even when I start something new. I just put it aside and if later I figure out how to do what I could not before I go back and fix it.

Looking for help with my Project. Need someone who is willing to be here step by step with me.

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=581080&hl=

#80 Overloaded

Overloaded

-*//*+ Seeker of Balance -*//*+

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

Well, I'm kinda new to GM, I'm using it since Octomber 2011 I think. So I haven't many gmk's but all of them I have created , I have given them up. My only finished project is a scrolling shooter. (Of course I will create other gmk's and games) . Maybe I'll work on them some day.

#81 Silver Scratch

Silver Scratch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

You took the words out of my mouth. 80% of making a game is the sprites. I tried to make a good game but the bad graphics make it look horrible. Also the bright colors and bad graphics. I end up making tools.

#82 andotherisms

andotherisms

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Haven't abandoned my current project yet, but it's been retooled from a card game to a board game to an online card game to (now) a single-player database exploration game. Last year in cliff notes. I don't see myself changing another time though. The design document is done and it would be a spectacular waste of time to do nothing with it.

Quite a few in this thread seem to hit a wall during development for similar reasons, and have complementary complaints: "I'm assets guy, need coder", "don't tell me about it, I can only code and need assets". I can see no obvious solutions ;)

#83 Benxamix2

Benxamix2

GMC Member

• 278 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

I used to give up in all my projects after 2 or 3 months.

But the actual I'm working on is going very well :)

#84 icymx

icymx

Patrick Brett

• GMC Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

I think the problem with most of us (including me), is that we like to take on projects that are too big to manage. Most of my games start out as tiny little projects for a bit of fun, but the next day I can't stop thinking about them and I've already planned out the first million levels...

Then when I continue working on them I run into a problem and start to lose motivation, and eventually give up.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature,
nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

- Helen Keller

#85 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Well, I managed to finish my Jam game. :P

It turns out that making nice looking abstract greyscale graphics is much easier than realistic graphics. (I also made a really convenient tiling engine, rain engine and level editor). Given the amount of tools I made to reduce the level design and graphical aspects of the game - I am so glad I had a specific time period to make the actual gameplay - otherwise I think I would have procrastinated to improve my tools. Posted Image I'm pretty happy with myself - I's been so long since I completed a game - and this one actually did fairly well in the jam. (20th out of 61). :)

#86 adhgarra

adhgarra

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:59 AM

I actually have a cancelled games part on my gaming site. I give up mainly cause i lose interest or not enough fan support.

09ec8840-6508-41e4-80f0-a112d673684a_zps

#87 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

The problem is a lot of people have a tendency to announce a massive boatload of features they're game will include and a gajillion custom made graphics they're going to make or have this team of artists devote every waking minute they have creating for free of course and then none of that pans out.

Start simple, focus on gameplay/mechanics and use placeholder graphics if you need to.

Also, know the limitations, strengths and weaknesses of your platform.

There are some things which Game Maker excels at, platform style games, 2d arcade type stuff and there are things like the latest and greatest FPS game and like the greatest RPG ever which GM isn't quite so suited for.

I like to keep on my toes so, I'll switch platforms at the drop of a dime. I'll go from something GM or Construct to Unity to C/Java/Lua/etc. if it seems better suited.

With the wealth of resources available these days, it isn't that hard to learn another framework, engine or even programming language.

Edited by needsfoodbadly, 07 March 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#88 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Start simple, focus on gameplay/mechanics and use placeholder graphics if you need to.

I disagree. I feel much more motivated to work when I know that I have all the graphics already primed and ready to be properly implemented into the game.

I say make all the graphics first. That way, when you are working on the gameplay you won't have to worry about doing waiting on the graphics to have the actions that you want to look good.

When things look good, it feels good to see them shine. It can be sensationally motivating.

#89 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2796 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

The problem is a lot of people have a tendency to announce a massive boatload of features they're game will include and a gajillion custom made graphics they're going to make or have this team of artists devote every waking minute they have creating for free of course and then none of that pans out.

Also, know the limitations, strengths and weaknesses of your platform.

There are some things which Game Maker excels at, platform style games, 2d arcade type stuff and there are things like the latest and greatest FPS game and like the greatest RPG ever which GM isn't quite so suited for.

I like to keep on my toes so, I'll switch platforms at the drop of a dime. I'll go from something GM or Construct to Unity to C/Java/Lua/etc. if it seems better suited.

With the wealth of resources available these days, it isn't that hard to learn another framework, engine or even programming language.

GM is suited for an Epic RPG, another thing is that GM Developers don't take that time to make it and they don't announce there games on other websites and stuff, so GM is suited for Cool RPG games, now for a 3D First Person Shooter GM isn't there yet, but soon its going to upgrade there 3D to make it much better and suited for FPS and 3D games.

I invite you to see: Myriad Online, its an MMORPG being developed with GM, its currently on Closed Alpha and the game looks promising.
There's also another MMORPG being developed on GM, World Of Debels, its still WIP, but in some weeks or 2 months (i don't know the date yet) there going to release Private Alpha
Creators Of This Games:
Myriad Online: True Valhalla
World Of Debels: Debels

So please don't say the program (GM) isn't suited for cool RPG games, the thing is the people that use GM, don't make good things because they can't find Graphic's Designers for there games and they look "Novice Games" when the games are actually great in a lot of ways, but people just see graphics.

Hope this helped you rethink why you say it :)

#90 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

So please don't say the program (GM) isn't suited for cool RPG games, the thing is the people that use GM, don't make good things because they can't find Graphic's Designers for there games and they look "Novice Games" when the games are actually great in a lot of ways, but people just see graphics.

I'm not saying you can't make super cool, awesome MMO/RPGs or anything you can think of with GM, just that personally I think there are better options, frameworks and programming languages better suited for it.

You just have to weigh whether you want to learn another language/engine/framework or whether you want to put more time into a GM project to make it work the way you want.

As far as focusing on graphics versus gameplay, to me it depends on the project. If you have a very art-heavy project like say an Adventure Game then you may want to focus heavily on the game art initially.

If your game's focus isn't on brain melting graphics then I think it's better to start with gameplay first, use some simple graphics and build up from there.

#91 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2796 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

I'm not saying you can't make super cool, awesome MMO/RPGs or anything you can think of with GM, just that personally I think there are better options, frameworks and programming languages better suited for it.

You just have to weigh whether you want to learn another language/engine/framework or whether you want to put more time into a GM project to make it work the way you want.

As far as focusing on graphics versus gameplay, to me it depends on the project. If you have a very art-heavy project like say an Adventure Game then you may want to focus heavily on the game art initially.

If your game's focus isn't on brain melting graphics then I think it's better to start with gameplay first, use some simple graphics and build up from there.

Oh, I see your point :thumbsup:

#92 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

Wait a second, did Debels just advertise Debels?

Seeing as how you haven't given up on the project: Why not explain that?

#93 ZombieWolfPath

ZombieWolfPath

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

I've been working on a zombie game for awhile (like 2-3 months), that is until i lost hope...
Humans are capable of performing Magick, we just don't have mana..

#94 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:52 AM

Myriad Online is now 2 years into development, as of the 1st of this month :)

html5ebook20.png

#95 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:03 AM

Myriad Online is now 2 years into development, as of the 1st of this month :)

Difference has been in the works since November 2007. And I'm feeling lucky this year!

#96 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2796 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Wait a second, did Debels just advertise Debels?

Seeing as how you haven't given up on the project: Why not explain that?

What do you want me to explain???

#97 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

What compels you to continue working on your project? It's the opposite of giving up. I feel it has some relevance to the topic.

#98 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2796 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

What compels you to continue working on your project? It's the opposite of giving up. I feel it has some relevance to the topic.

Well, I try to make this i like example: MMORPG and Website's
I try to get some interest on the project from other people so i know people like it.
Those are the 2 things that make me keep working on WoD and My Website Current WIP Website

Those 2 things don't see like much, but it helps you stay with the same project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users