97 replies to this topic

#31 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

Almost always! seriously, I've playing around with GM about 4 years ago, and "Ulo The Snake" is my one and only finished game. I think "perfectionism" in indie game making will often leads to frustration. Trust me, I was a perfectionist on my old project (I spent weeks for making menu interfaces only) and they never finished. -_-

#32 -Paix-

-Paix-

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

There are few game ideas I've literally given up on permanently. The only ones I did that with were ones that I simply wasn't interested in (one or two).

I currently have

1 game engine project on the back burner
1 (small-medium action/arcade) game that is 100% conceptually completed but I need to reprogram it (lost the gmk file).
1 (large strategy) game that is probably 5% concept completed (largest project, currently no programming). This is my current project.
1 (medium strategy) game that is about 90% concept completed and no programming.
1 (small puzzle) game that is 100% concept completed and completed, prototype programming with no actual production programming.
3 Retro remakes that are 90% game-play programming complete but just require polishing, which I probably won't get around to since they were simply meant as warm-ups.
2 other concepts that are only 5% that I'll keep but probably not get around to messing with further.
1 concept that is about 50% concept complete with no programming. Good chance of being revived.

I don't really give up on projects completely unless they are small and random. I've been working with GM since GMv5 and have only permanently dropped probably 2-3 concepts. The above ones have been started in the past 2 years except for the "action/arcade" game which was my first real project with GM.

Sadly to say...I haven't finished anything. The closest I've gotten to "finishing" is retro remakes and those weren't even fully completed or polished. I do believe that perfection has caused me to get frustrated with my concepts since I love my concepts. I wonder if working on a smaller game that I don't care about as much and completing it would help?

Thoughts on ways to reach completion? Common distractions? Common pitfalls to avoid?

#33 Rawulf13

Rawulf13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

I have a nasty habit of creating a new file and "project" for every small experiment I want to make. When I want to play around with a new code or feature I could learn to make and leave it when done. I do what I intended, but it's still far from a game, and not playable at all. It has the basic movements and the few features I made when I wanted to practice coding.

Beside that I have some unfinished projects that I worked on lazily for about a month and then gave up on it. I rarely try to remake them or even open the game file.

#34 Dikanex

Dikanex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

Right now i got 2 games that i'm not working on so much... i week ago i've got a new idea about a new game ... :(

#35 fluffydino2000

fluffydino2000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

85% of the time. I didn't give up on my first game and finished it to a degree. And everything since I have failed to finish. Two games I didn't even start.

#36 TurboBlizzard

TurboBlizzard

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:20 AM

sometimes I will start something I really want to do, but find out that I don't have the expertise to complete it.

I've had an idea in my head for a game for like 3 years now, but I kinda suck at game making so I downloaded game maker and started making Super Jump Boy to help me gain some knowledge at game maker.

it's going so-so, but i don't really give up that often, (I haven't been in the whole Game Maker thing for long). I had no idea how to do anything, but I got a little better :)

#37 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8492 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:38 AM

it only took me a little while to figure out that there's no reason to make a fan game when you can make an original game.

There's two semi-reasons to make a fangame:

- You can get music and graphics already complete from e.g. tSR and get to coding the game at once
- You get bonus attention from people liking the original game

At least those two reasons are what keeps making me embark on new fangame projects every now and a while.

#38 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

My problem is not that I ever get bored of a current project, but that I get fantastically excited about a new one. Once that wears off I realise it was as good as my other one, and that now I've abandoned both...

#39 rubencoll

rubencoll

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

EVERY project in less that 3 weeks
But if you asking because you want advices heres one :
If you fell bored just continue the project that you will regain focus

#40 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

I have given up on ally of games while using gamemaker, but now I have found a game idea that I WILL be working on until it is complete.

#41 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

it only took me a little while to figure out that there's no reason to make a fan game when you can make an original game.

There's two semi-reasons to make a fangame:

- You can get music and graphics already complete from e.g. tSR and get to coding the game at once
- You get bonus attention from people liking the original game

At least those two reasons are what keeps making me embark on new fangame projects every now and a while.

The main reason is that you would want to tribute the thing you're making a fangame of, hence fangame.
Note; nobody should think that fangames have to be a "clone" as in, trying to remake a game. Tributes to shows, movies, books, games, etc can have many forms. Including this.

#42 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1898 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

Probably once every month! I'm very picky and if it takes longer than three weeks to make I'm not interested in it, though I do try and revisit them in a years rime :D ;)

better complete the current project ! i guess you know what i mean Posted Image

@the topic : i often have some brilliant ideas and start with them . then i give up because i can't continue throw .. like get stuck in a situation and no body can help coding ! .. how often? since i've started with gm (a year ago) .. i left behind me about 7 projects ! and onl;y done my first game and 2 other projects ! .. i also used game maker to create useful programms for work and some other stuff !

#43 Fireball16

Fireball16

Indie Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1015 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

Probably once every month! I'm very picky and if it takes longer than three weeks to make I'm not interested in it, though I do try and revisit them in a years time :D ;)

better complete the current project ! i guess you know what i mean Posted Image

@the topic : i often have some brilliant ideas and start with them . then i give up because i can't continue throw .. like get stuck in a situation and no body can help coding ! .. how often? since i've started with gm (a year ago) .. i left behind me about 7 projects ! and onl;y done my first game and 2 other projects ! .. i also used game maker to create useful programms for work and some other stuff!

Hahah! I will *crosses fingers* :D also I am yet to complete a project :) and I've been at it for two years, your doing better than me ;)

#44 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

Hey, I've been doing it for over 3 years and I'm yet to finish a game - but his one will be finished. I've already worked on it for over 4 times any of my other projects. And I've got musical, graphial, and model support... It will happen!

#45 Foxikado

Foxikado

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 9 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

I've given up on most games i've started, But i learned something from most of them, The Reason i gave up is that I'm not very good with graphics or sound :confused: and i dont really have any means to let others play them if they ever got near being finished.
Though if i start a game any time soon i will have the GM site to put them on :happy:

Edited by Foxikado, 18 September 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#46 GameRoom

GameRoom

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:26 AM

Here's some advice for people that give up on projects too much: make sure you work on the game every day. No exceptions. If you skip one day because "you don't feel like working on it," you'll end up doing the same thing the next day. Force yourself to make even a little bit of progress and before you know it you'll be working on the game multiple hours a day and you'll feel edgy about the next thing you want to do. Just 30 minutes will do. Soon enough that number will grow exponentially. The hard part of the game will soon be done, and you'll be working on gameplay before you know it.

So this advice doesn't apply as well to people who have 5 different shiny new ideas, but still. Force yourself.

Edited by GameRoom, 19 September 2011 - 01:27 AM.

#47 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:45 AM

Someone needs to make a GameMaker Planner, so I can track and estimate progress because I'm really bad at it and I don't feel like buying a planner for that purpose.

I'm really bad at abandoning projects. Mostly I get a lot of hard stuff done, and then by doing so I think "Now that I know how to <insert newly learned technique here>, I have a really cool idea that could use it".

Most of the things I've made get to a "Proof of Concept" stage and I just kind of start something new. I don't think I've ever finished anything really. The only two I can think of were made in my first years of GM: The Adventures of Wittleman and Astro-Janitor.

Which were hilariously bad.

Thankfully I've been able to keep at my current project (*wink wink* in the sig) for half a year now.

But I'll tell you with everything I do,
I always manage to learn something new. :thumbsup:

#48 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16029 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

Someone needs to make a GameMaker Planner, so I can track and estimate progress because I'm really bad at it and I don't feel like buying a planner for that purpose.

I'm really bad at abandoning projects. Mostly I get a lot of hard stuff done, and then by doing so I think "Now that I know how to <insert newly learned technique here>, I have a really cool idea that could use it".

Most of the things I've made get to a "Proof of Concept" stage and I just kind of start something new. I don't think I've ever finished anything really. The only two I can think of were made in my first years of GM: The Adventures of Wittleman and Astro-Janitor.

Which were hilariously bad.

Thankfully I've been able to keep at my current project (*wink wink* in the sig) for half a year now.

But I'll tell you with everything I do,
I always manage to learn something new. :thumbsup:

Why bother making one. so many out there
http://lmgtfy.com/?q...project planner

#49 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

Ah. Well I was merely thinking aloud. :rolleyes:

I'll look through it when I get back from school.

#50 epicpiedude

epicpiedude

Artist/GameDeveloper

• GMC Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

I give up because I SUCK at level designing and I throw so much into the first level I can NEVER get it to stay good for more than the third level.

#51 VerdantRain

VerdantRain

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

I used to try to learn everything at once. I had sprite tutorials, piano lessons, music theory books, programming books, and writing advice in front of me at once, ready to take on my dream of game designer. So...Needless to say, I gave up after the tutorials because it became a bit daunting to do every little thing that I planned to do. I've only given up on one game, my only game, and that was a while ago. I'm trying to get out into the world as a writer for games now, so, I guess I really don't have a new project just yet. Haha.

#52 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2774 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

I give up in projects a lot! XD, before each month I deleted 1 or 2 GB of .gmk but I'm currently working on DPReg System and WoD and I'm not quitting on them :D and now i only delete 1 MB each moth of things i do for DPReg System and WoD

#53 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

I'm not quitting on them

That's what they all say... -_-

#54 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2774 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

I'm not quitting on them

That's what they all say... -_-

I know right XD

but this 1 im sure im not quiting on them you can check the things i have done :D i started 2 days ago :D http://www.debels.co....php?f=17&t=161

#55 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7471 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

Let's be careful talking about "giving up" on projects. Because there's two different types of reasons:

Type 1. you give up because you lose interest... and/or don't have the discipline to finish anything.

Type 2. you give up because you learn a new capability, and decide to work in a new direction.

Type 2 is part of the learning process. You change direction, but you learned a lot from the attempt. So even though you don't finish the game, you gained something from the effort.

But Type 1 is procrastination. You aren't cut out for game making. You're just a loser who will probably wind up in rehab... or prison. :biggrin:

#56 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

But Type 1 is procrastination. You aren't cut out for game making. You're just a loser who will probably wind up in rehab... or prison. :biggrin:

Gee, that's a nice way to help people not procrastinate. :biggrin:

Edited by makerofthegames, 15 October 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#57 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2774 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Let's be careful talking about "giving up" on projects. Because there's two different types of reasons:

Type 1. you give up because you lose interest... and/or don't have the discipline to finish anything.

Type 2. you give up because you learn a new capability, and decide to work in a new direction.

Type 2 is part of the learning process. You change direction, but you learned a lot from the attempt. So even though you don't finish the game, you gained something from the effort.

my reason is the type 2

#58 Geordie Bloke

Geordie Bloke

GMC Member

• 31 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

I haven't released a game. I've worked on them, but every few months, I'd realise the story was convoluted (or that something popular, probably Doctor Who, had just done the same plot), the gameplay was clunky, or that it might work better with another style of play. A few months on from that, I'd go through the files and grab the basic concept for the central character, a few scraps of storyline and possibly some enemy sprites.

I've got a rule: don't announce a project as a work-in-progress until it can be played through from start to finish. My current project is at least 95% complete, and I still think it's too early to officially announce it.

#59 Adequate

Adequate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

PLAN EVERYTHING

as in , ima do this then this then this ... *time lapse* ... then ima finished

#60 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7471 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

I haven't released a game. I've worked on them, but every few months, I'd realise the story was convoluted...

I think that happens to lots of people. Personally, I think many of us spend too much time worrying about storyline -- and not enough time coding. It's understandable because imagining different stories is fun. But sometimes it becomes a preoccupation that actually keeps us from finishing a game.

as in , ima do this then this then this ... *time lapse* ... then ima finished

+1 for that game design advice, Kanye. :biggrin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users