100 replies to this topic

#1 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

SBX - Space Blaster X

Level 8 is now complete - Game nearly finished. (new update 4-22-12)

Woot Woot! 100 downloads of SBX so far!!! Thanks to all who have played it!

WIP: Approx % Complete: 99%

Please let me know if you find any bugs or anything at all.
SBX Game LINK:
http://sandbox.yoyog...-blaster-xtreme

Blog on the game and development in general:
http://spaceblasterx.blogspot.com/

Category: Shmup
File size: 9.4 Mb (ZIP FILE)
Changes screen resolution: Nope, room size = 1200x700
GM version: 8.1 standard
Vista compatible: Yes
Direct Download: **not available atm**
Screen shots can be found at the link above (and below)

Screen Shots:
Spoiler

TOP HIGH SCORES on Endless:
Easy:
1. 4809 - WakeskaterX
2. 3314 - TheUltimate
Hard:
-

QUOTES:
beatson: "Overall though I enjoyed it, I'll try this again when you release the next version"
TheUltimate: "I finally got around to trying your game! It's honestly quite fun and looks good so far."
TheUltimate: "So yeah, the graphics look a LOT better now." Don't take my word for it (Reading Rainbow Style)
Enter_Name_Here: "I'll definitely try it again when you finish the next level!"
Enter_Name_Here: "It was fun though, I liked the rooms and fighting people off in the next level. It's really hard with stuff coming at you from the bottom and the sides, but it makes it different from other games where enemies only come from the top and all you do is go from one side of the screen to the other and back and you win that way."

Instructions:
Space bar - Fire
S - Special Fire
D - Ultra Fire
F - ??? ( you'll see )
P - Pause
Arrow Keys - Move
Mouse - Select Levels, etc
Enter - Select Highlighted Item / Skip Story

Microsoft Word Doc Tutorial now included in the files.

Old Changelogs:
Spoiler

Newest Changelog:
6-4-12 :: 1.5
Changelog: Oops forgot to add V 1.4 There is a boss now to the endless level! It's at wave 3! If you beat him you are close to unlocking the first ultimate item. Also Level 3 in the color room, on easy the buttons last 5x as long. Meaning it's way easier. Also some bug fixes. Woot Woot! Beat level 3 now! It's way easier on EASY

Edited by wakeskater_X, 24 June 2012 - 02:14 PM.

My Games: 

SBX1&2 and GMC Jam Game: Julius Dragonslayer

Twitter:  @WakeStudio

#2 ypick

ypick

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

About to try the game. Will edit in my reply... Looks cool...
EDIT:
I'm not sure if I suck at the game, but I tried about 15 times and was unable to beat the first level. The special attacks did barely anything. I felt like my normal attack had more of an effect.
I tried seeing if I could upgrade something in the autoshop, and unfortunately no.
I think what would be really nice would be either upgrades that you can collide with that heal up a your shields or (More preferably) your shields recover slowly. The graphics were awesome, and the asteroids added a neat thing to the gameplay. (Destroy the asteroid to try and launch kill missiles at enemies or use as a barrier against enemies.) I'm not sure you if you had music or not because my sound on my computer is kinda screwy. The story I can't exactly rate yet though. Can't wait to see it further developed!
4/5 :D
EDIT2: I'm extremely sorry, I missed the part about level 1 suppose to be that hard xD
And I forgot to include, restarting after dieing is really annoying. Maybe restart goes straight to the saves?
And I'm going to play it again and try to beat the 1st level for this game is fun no matter how hard it is.
EDIT3: I beat level 1! And after beating it once with a rank C, I got a rank A!!!!! :D

Edited by ypick, 12 July 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#3 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

Nice!

I'm glad you beat Level 1, it is pretty tough, imagine playing through it over and over and over just to test the events and conclusion... testing this game was a pain cause I failed so many times XD... also, if you kill the large asteroids you get +5hp and of course asteroid kills with the small ones give you lots of points for the end score. Did you try out the new weapon/cores/thruster? I'll add way more weapons and stuff later and whatnot, but this is just the very first public release. I started programming it like a week ago, so I should make good progress on future levels. Also future levels will be longer/with bosses, etc and have more interesting mechanics.

Edit: Also sound is something that I am going to have my little brother work on: He wants to major in audio engineering, why not let him do the sounds for my game? So there are NO sounds what so ever at this point, but there will be full music/sound effects/etc later on.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 12 July 2011 - 02:50 PM.

My Games: 

#4 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:02 PM

Thoughts
1 You are not using standart font all over the place. Well done!
2 Title looks good
3 Okay, game crashed. Doesn't deal too good with my default download dir
4 Did you apply gradient tool to text? Because it looks like that
5 Enemies draw over the HUD? Strange
6 It's not really needed to re-ask if player wants to go to shop. If one clicks the icon, one probably does.
7 Why do I have -20/100 shields after the first mission?
8 Add autosave
9 Add A\Z\X as optional button for firing
10 After about 5 tries, I managed to complete level 1 with grade B! Fantastic.
11 Apart from looking cool, it does not seem to be possible to kill anyone with spllatter cannon. Spread range is too wide to kill anything not in melee range, and it overheats nicely.
12 Maybe shield should regenerate by a bit? It's called shield for a reason, isn't it?
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#5 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

I appreciate the feedback!

#5 - Enemies Draw over Hud - Yes i noticed this: I will fix this for future releases, I just didn't for this first one, just need to adjust depths. ((FIXED)) - next release will be when I am done with lvl 2
#6 - True, for the shop, but if you miss click then you'd have to exit, I just wanted to have verification for all rooms, even if it is easy to leave the shop.
#7 - Ah yes, this shows up in the shop, i worked a fix so it resets HP at the start of a new level, but i will go ahead and do the fix for end of levels as well.
#8 - Will consider (lower on list of priorities, since a manual save is available) - Later implementation
#9 - Will consider alternate firing (again, atm lower list of priorities and easy to implement)
#11 - I will tune the splatter cannon, either making it stronger or a more narrow attack - Later cores though will increase the cooling capacity and make it more viable - however I can tune it down so it does not overheat so quickly. ((Splatter Cannon now tuned to be much better - can test in future versions))
#12 - Yes I might add a slow shield regeneration - as of now killing asteroids regenerates your shields - I might just keep the theme and make a destructible item in each level that restores some shield power (Or certain event items)

Again, thanks for the feedback and I'm starting work on the next few items, then I'll be working on the graphics for level 2 (Enemies, different asteroids, different events, things like this) then putting that all into the timeline.

(I posted a new version with a few fixes - it should be up soon after the virus scan YYG does)
(Edit2: Re-did the program with a few glitch fixes, also both non special weapons now have 3 varying levels and will level up with enough xp)
(Edit3: Found a bug - if you did level 1 twice, the asteroid kill bonus stacked from each time, forgot to put a reset in it so if you got A the second time, you likely didn't earn it properly ;) )

Edited by wakeskater_X, 13 July 2011 - 04:22 AM.

My Games: 

#6 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

Just beat the first level in 6 or so tries! I enjoyed the gameplay for a first public release. I'd say the graphics needed working on slightly, couldn't hear any sound because I'm using a computer with no speakers at the moment. I'll try it later on by better computer to comment on the sound.

I would take out the confirmations though, like "Are you sure you want to move to...", but if you are going to keep them, try designing your own input box as the GM default looks nasty.

Overall though I enjoyed it, I'll try this again when you release the next version :D

VIS Design - Quality Web Design & Development

#7 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for playing it! There isn't any sound at the moment, that will be added later. Also I'm no graphic designer but I'll probably try reworking the graphics later :)

Also, good idea designing a new input box, i'll put that on the to do list. Pounding out the levels and designing new enemies/bosses/weapon is priority #1, then I can always do touch ups after once the basic game is set in place. Stuff like redesigning graphics / Changing menus etc will come later to fine tune it up for the official release! Your game looks really graphically good beat so if you have any specific suggestions on graphics I'd be glad to hear them :).

I might remove the confirmation box for saving and the autoshop but you can't just go back to the map if you missclick on a level so I'll probably design one for use with clicking on levels.

My Games: 

#8 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

New Release with Level 2 completed should be coming out this week - the graphics are updated as well as a few bugs on the current one.

Check it out! :D

My Games: 

#9 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

LEVEL 2 NOW ACTIVE!

Major Update Including: Level 2 added, new enemies, story line, weapons added!, better effects, some bug fixes and other small things as well.

COMING SOON: Sound, Level 3, Added Effects for Weapons, Mouse over Descriptions in Auto Shop of Items.

Test the game and let me know what you think!
Will write a review for anyone's game that writes one for me :) One good turn deserves another.

ALSO NOTE TO SOUND ARTISTS: If anyone is a great composer / sound artist and wants to do the sound for the game - you will be credited for it :).
I am going to finish this project as portfolio for Game Design Jobs. - So if you want to help in the sound dept let me know: Includes: Music/Effects/Chimes/etc - But I'll make the final say if it'd go in game - IF you help, and the game sells at all eventually you will be compensated for your work - also if you help I expect all the sound work to come from you :). PST if interested

Edited by wakeskater_X, 20 July 2011 - 11:18 PM.

My Games: 

#10 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

New Update: Mouse Over Descriptions added in the Auto Shop for all weapons, cores, thrusters, and specials in game :D

Play the game and try to unlock all 12 items!

My Games: 

#11 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:30 AM

Bump - Try it out! Also PST if you want to work with me on the project :)

Post Screen shots of your scores! Anyone got 2 A's and unlocked everything?

Edited by wakeskater_X, 25 July 2011 - 02:31 AM.

My Games: 

#12 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

Bump - New Updates should be coming sometime later this week hopefully - we'll see how much free time i can muster

My Games: 

#13 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

Currently Adding all the upgrades that will be in game - this will take some time so Level 3 will be pushed back some.

Release 0.3c is up! Check out the first post to see the new stuff released! - Level 3 will be on its way soon. Will make some of the weapons and specials, not all of them, then i'll start on L3.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 30 July 2011 - 05:43 AM.

My Games: 

#14 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:03 AM

Level 3 is being developed! Gah It's lots of work :)

it is going to be pretty long and very well scripted - TONS of graphic animations as it is basically a giant level with rooms you have to beat to progress to the core of the fortress!

It should be really cool once it is finished but it is taking me QUITE a while to put each room together. Let me know what you think of level 2 though - I haven't had too much feedback on that level - (Is level 2 interesting / fun?) Was the boss too easy / too hard?

My Games: 

#15 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

I slaved all day today and FINALLY released Level 3! It is complete with a boss!

level 3 has a time based bonus so NO DALLYING!

If anyone can get all 3 levels to A! score - KUDOS!

I'll probably take a few days off from programming since i finally ground out the last bits of level 3 - this level has taken me the longest and I'll still redo some of the sprites for it and there is a little timing adjustments to do, but it is fully functional! Let me know if you find any bugs but i think i ironed most of them out.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 03 August 2011 - 08:13 AM.

My Games: 

#16 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

Try out level 3! ;D

My Games: 

#17 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:39 AM

Newest Update: Some sounds included, bug fixes

My Games: 

#18 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:05 AM

I finally got around to trying your game! It's honestly quite fun and looks good so far. Managed to get a B on level 1 after a couple of tries, and I'm gonna try the rest of the levels later. It is a tad hard for a first level, but I honestly didn't mind the difficulty that much. It was a nice challenge.

Suggestion: you should have extra lives so you don't have to restart the level every time you die, only restarting when you run out. It would be useful considering how long the levels are. There should also be some kind of non-special weapon where you can just shoot straight ahead too, instead of just tossing bullets all over the place.

Oh, and you should totally make some kind of special ability where you can absorb the energy from enemy fire in order to replenish your shields. Just a thought.

P.S. Thanks for trying my game out too!
Edit: You know you can put the screenshots themselves here instead of just linking them, right?

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 08 August 2011 - 04:08 AM.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#19 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

for some reason it wouldn't let me post the screenshots, but i'll try and do it later.

Later on there will be a special weapon (It's actually in the game files already) that will restore your shields for some special power... Also... you should have the main weapon as the blue flames right? Only the 2nd weapon fires them all over... I MIGHT have uploaded a file that had preset stuff on it, if so just use the delete function and do a new file. Or go to the autoshop and change it.

I am actually gonna make the first level a tad easier but not too much, the 3rd level is actually REALLY effing hard, but also i will probably add an easy option later on with adjusted HP values for enemies. For now there is just hard mode :D

But yeah, that file might have had my save file on it when i uploaded, i'll fix that tomorrow! And I can't wait for your next release of color my world? (If you are planning to finish) Also hopefully soon we'll have some more sound effects and perhaps some BGMs (menu music is at least pretty close).

Thanks man and look for more updates this week, i took some time off after level 3 from the hardcore programming grind this past week but i'll be back at it again tomorrow.

EDIT: New release with the save file fixed - Game should play as intended now - and you should start with the right items. ;D Also there was another bug where you couldn't exit from profile selection - ALSO fixed

Edited by wakeskater_X, 08 August 2011 - 10:38 AM.

My Games: 

#20 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

Level 4 is now out! - now comes in a zip file to keep all that goody stuff organized ;)

The Level 3 boss was made to be easier too. - HP cut by 45% or so, and prolonged open state. New Cheat Code available for anyone who get's a screenshot of 3 A! or 4 A! Scores.

Also Easy Mode added: It's pretty dang easy >_> - BUT HARD MODE IS STILL THERE!

Edited by wakeskater_X, 10 August 2011 - 01:26 AM.

My Games: 

#21 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

Try out Levels 1-4 now on easy mode! - they are fairly simple and you should be able to beat em all on easy at least. If you want to try though HARD IS SO MUCH MORE HARD FUN!

My Games: 

#22 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

There have been a few small updates: The game is now called Space Blaster X as the former title was already taken by another indie game. There is a new title screen with sounds and a few other small updates have been added. The story line is the biggest one. New font + Re-Written Story line to make it more engaging (hopefully)

BGMs are still being worked on, hopefully some background music will be finished this week.

My Games: 

#23 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:54 PM

Bump - If anyone is a song composer let me know. I could use some bgms :D

My Games: 

#24 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:20 AM

In progress: All weapons and specials are being added to the game files - i'll include a special code for those who've played and reviewed the game to unlock them all. Also I'll be reworking the movement system: Complete Overhaul for the player controlled ship.

My Games: 

#25 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

NEW UPDATE: All weapons and specials added to the game - Use the name "Cheater" on a new file to unlock everything!

Mouseover icons are not working for new items - NYI.
Also Level 5 is coming - and I'll probably just chuck some video game music from some games until I can find someone to make Original sound tracks for the game.

Check out the new items and let me know what you think!

My Games: 

#26 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

In the works: Mouseover Icons Added, Level 5 is currently being worked on, Some Tuning for Level 4 with final scores and rewards.

Check out the game if you haven't yet! :D

Also SBX is now hosted at: http://yoyogames.web...OTERSpage3.aspx

Edited by wakeskater_X, 06 September 2011 - 07:50 AM.

My Games: 

#27 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:56 AM

Mouseovers finished, Level 5 complete, Music added! Huge update!

You are able to unlock the first 6 of each item without cheats now! Sweet Potato Pie, that's awesome!

My Games: 

#28 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:51 PM

Few Bug Fixes:
-Ricochet Laser now kills enemies on Level 4 !! YAY!
-Bosses now take more damage from laser type weapons
-Level5 map now shows the proper score instead of sometimes showing a worse one.

My Games: 

#29 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

Level 6 in the works. Any suggestions on 1 through 5? Either hard or easy mode, are things TOO easy? too hard? Are the weapons glitchy, or do some seem overpowered compared to others?

My Games: 

#30 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Level 5 has been tuned down, and you can now find paths to avoid the clouds, YAY! Level 6 is added but cannot be finished and is only half done, so just note that, you are free to check the first 2 rooms out though.

ALSO the big thing added is a replacement to the final special you can unlock - previously it was SUPER BUFF!! that gave you stats for a time, BORING!

SO, I replaced it with my original Idea, that I was too lazy to code earlier, the LIGHTNING RAY!

Figured out how to get it working properly and I have ironed most of the bugs out i believe, so let me know what you think, You can use it if you enter the name "Cheater" when you start a new game.

the Lightning Ray is super OP, but atm does not hurt bosses, I MIGHT change that later, it does wreck enemies though.

My Games: 

#31 Enter_Name_Here

Enter_Name_Here

GMC Member

• 109 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:22 AM

You look like you need a review. :) Lemme break your 12-post streak.
Well the first thing I noticed is that it's way way way way way too hard, even on easy mode. If you go on easy you should be able to breeze through the game no problem, but I can't even beat level 1 on it without the cheat code, and even then it's hard... Will you add normal mode? There's room in the box to put it in if you squeeze it between the easy and hard buttons.

That means I have a 30 second view of each level, but I'll tell you what I think:
1: I guess it's like a normal shooter, just to get you used to it. Not bad, but I don't get why I explode when I hit a ship that's a third my size, or if a bullet just barely brushes the wingtips.
2: Nice music. Can you show me how you made the worms? They're kind of awesome, and the asteroid field was neat too.
3: Every enemy has too much health :( Tried a couple of times to see all the puzzle rooms, and I can't get past the buttons. Sometimes they don't activate when they're hit with the same color.
4: Never thought I'd see a reverse shooter level. It's fun trying to dodge enemies, but how long does it go for? It seems like a random distribution and sometimes there's no way to avoid bullets. The big ship on the bottom is nice though, keeps you on your toes.
5: This level weirds me out somehow, but I guess that's the point. Finding a path through poison clouds is pretty fun!
6: So you're using the same music for the same type of level... I like it!

You need more explosion effects too. Just having a tiny little cloud doesn't count. Use particles.
Oh, and I don't really like how my main weapon overheats constantly, it keeps me from holding down space to shoot. It doesn't help when I have to chase even the smallest enemies across the whole screen to blow them to smithereens.
I liked the story that scrolls Star Wars-style. Pretty awesome to read, but I actually wrote down the coordinates because I thought I would need them later. (I don't think you do...) Anyway you need characters in your story if you want people to be interested in it, and maybe have a cutscene at the end of each level. Keep people guessing.

Edit: I think this is my longest post ever...

Edited by Enter_Name_Here, 28 September 2011 - 03:25 AM.

I'm kind of new to this whole programming thing. Mind helping me out at this topic?

#32 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:53 AM

Hahaha, you wrote down the coordinates - that's funny. No you don't need them XD... but... maybe i'll add something cool later like... some easter eggs that have to do with the coords.

hmm... maybe try a few more times, Idk i think the game is WAY too easy on easy mode, 1-2 hits is all it takes to kill an enemy, hard at least requires you to do more damage. Did you know you also have S for the flame spear, and D for the ultra at the beginning? using those helps a ton. And the idea is that it's supposed to be kinda tough to force you to get upgrades.

As for level 6, I will switch up the music later, it's just a place holder.

The worms basically use 1 path for 5 objects. They are spawned 5 frames after each other and given the same path in 5 frame intervals. Each one is linked to the nearest object of the "head" and if the head dies, they all explode. Thanks for breaking my self post streak! I'm glad you think it's cool, it's neat to hear back from other people about it. I can go back and add a normal button, but it'll still be in between easy and hard ;).

Honestly if a small destroyer class ship (like on the ocean) crashed into an air craft carrier... both would sink. That's the idea, you shouldn't be able to tank an entire asteroid or a collision with another ship. You just have to dodge, it's arcade style, meant to be hard, somewhat, even on easy.

Try giving it a go and focus on timing shots and strafing them, and use your specials, and once you get used to it, the game is super duper easy on easy mode. Just gotta dodge everything ;D

but yea, thanks again, and I'll be working on Level 6 when i get some free time in the upcoming week, so expect to see some new stuff.

Cheers!

Edit: OH, yeah level 3 is a bit tough unless you know the exact path to take, I might make the buttons bigger so they are easier to hit. As of now you have to have specific placement to get them all to hit in time. It's probably the hardest thing you'll encounter on easy mode.

Edit2: Also to make level 4 easier you can get behind enemies and kill them quickly once you memorize the enemy spawns so you don't get hit. That makes the level much easier. The level does end, if you can get there you'll see how you escape! ;D

Edit3: ALSO ALSO, the overheat isn't supposed to be your friend, it's supposed to make you pay attention to how often you hold down the button ;) It's a limiter so you can't just hold space the whole time.

And i think this might be my longest reply too. XD

Edit4: ALSOALSOALSO, explosions are particle effects, it's a single particle explosion effect, don't wanna be over dramatic, but i can make it cooler later.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 28 September 2011 - 08:59 PM.

My Games: 

#33 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:32 AM

"Lemme break your 12-post streak."
DANG IT that was supposed to be my job!!!

Anyway...
"Honestly if a small destroyer class ship (like on the ocean) crashed into an air craft carrier... both would sink"
Not really, but you'd definitely get a sizable dent in the side... Wait. *RANDOM IDEA!* What if damage to your ship affects things around that area? Like, if you get hit on the right side, bullets that come from the right side should be weaker/less numerous, and you move left more slowly (since your right thrusters are damaged or something), and direct hits to the front take more health than the sides. Yeah, feel free to use that...

And OMG level 3 was ridiculous! WHY does barely touching the wall kill me? The layout doesn't make any sense to me from a logical standpoint either. The fact that there are stars below you kind of implies you could just fly underneath it all and bypass the entire level, since there doesn't seem to be a force field or anything blocking your way... You should totally make it so that you're guiding a remote-controlled drone through a duct, and the security system doesn't recognize you so it attacks. When you destroy the boss, it opens an outside door so that you can fly your ship in, blow up the core, and fight ANOTHER boss, only unlike every other Fuschian boss in the game, you're not forced to chip away at its defences while avoiding stuff, you have to kind of go on the offensive for once (just to have some variety between bosses). About the level itself, the different rooms were something I liked. It keeps you guessing and has quite a bit of variety. I'll give you a little feedback on the other levels if you want, and a bunch of little minor bugs I found, like how if you hold down fire before the giant... octupus? ...thing? appears, you can get some damage in before he starts sending stuff after you.

And I gotta agree, EVERYTHING HAS WAY TOO MUCH HEALTH. If people can't beat it without cheating, maybe it's a sign that you should tone it down a bit more... There should be at least two types of relatively harmless enemies that die in one hit, and no, putting them in level 5 doesn't really count. I tried Easy Mode, and they STILL have too much health.

One crucial thing that's missing from your game is excitement. Everything moves too slowly and is done via unanimated sprites. You should really do stuff like engine trails, multiple layers of stars, energy weapons, real explosions, etc. If you want, I could show you a bunch of awesome graphical effects that'll enhance it quite a bit while keeping the gameplay exactly the same. And yes, you should definitely add characters to your game. It's definitely got a good start, but it feels a bit too generic. The point of a story in a game is to keep people captivated, so either add detail to it, or leave it out altogether, and tell the story via quick cutscenes that show what happens then goes straight to the next level.

By the way... THESE SCORES ARE ALL LEGIT.
Spoiler

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 29 September 2011 - 01:42 AM.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#34 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:09 AM

Thanks TheUltimate!

I really appreciate the feedback. This feedback is super helpful. Most of the stuff you mentioned will be added once I finish the core of the game. Some things I can add now to make sense though, like adding a backdrop for levels 3 and 6 so you don't see stars. Once i finish the next 3 levels the core game will be finished and I will begin to add graphics, more story items, etc. I will definitely rework the profile menu and I can add some simple story boards later on and give it a great feel for the game.

But yeah i was thinking about the stars in the back of level3/6 earlier... and was like... well eff it for now I can fix it later. It's not that difficult though to fix, so I might just do that.

I like the area damage, such as taking out a side of the ship, or disabling weapons or specials based on where you are hit. That would be really neat but would come WAY later, as it would take some time to figure out the best way to do it and implement.

If you have some good resources or places to find better animations, by all means, I am no pro graphic design person, I can use the help. As for the HP in level 3, if you use the missiles+S laser on the turrets, they die super fast, so I'll probably keep the HP for now. The boss isn't meant to be killed in 1 round of turrets either.

I can also tone down the first few levels on easy - it's quite simple to tune down easy to be super easy. I will probably add normal mode, and maybe a nub mode later so that people can do what they think would be fun.

The story is legit and I'll keep it, but you are right, there should be some sort of character involved and I think I will add some cut scenes later. Maybe with like FF3/4 graphics and some story like stuff.

I really like the aquaduct idea, I will probably use that for level6... I still am trying to figure out what to do though so that is a really really good idea.

and... GRATS on getting 5 A! scores! I will keep you posted on new cheat codes added but I'll give you this hint: check out my blog and you can get a neat cheat code that gives you a new skin ;) link is below too.

Thanks for the review, and as I'm finishing up the game I'll definitely come back to your post specifically to change up some things... Right now I still consider this an Alpha stage game, I need to get to beta to do most of those things and that means finishing Levels 1-8 and then tuning everything so that it's sweet and attracts people.

edit: BTW plz finish colour my world - that game is so much fun! XD

Edited by wakeskater_X, 29 September 2011 - 03:11 AM.

My Games: 

#35 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

Backgrounds were added to levels 3 and 6, a few other small fixes and additions have been made as well. Such as a back button for profile views, if you select the wrong one.

edit 10/01 - new build with a special easter egg... wonder if you can find it in the game? let me know if you do. ;)

Edited by wakeskater_X, 01 October 2011 - 09:52 AM.

My Games: 

#36 Enter_Name_Here

Enter_Name_Here

GMC Member

• 109 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:51 PM

Wow I appreciate the huge reply... Usually people just say like two or three things. It tells me that you really care about your game so I'll definitely try it again when you finish the next level!

I'm kind of new to this whole programming thing. Mind helping me out at this topic?

#37 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:59 AM

This game is my baby. I have loved programming games since i was young to mid teens, and have always done side projects, but this game I want to finish, and make it a game that people will play and really like. It's not meant to be something with a lot of replay value but something fun that people will play, appreciate, and remember. And I have plans to add to the series with online multiplayer versions of SBX ;). I'll have to learn a little about online coding though.

This project is basically a portfolio for someday becoming a paid game designer, and I really do appreciate the feedback and responses. So of course! I will add in long replies and try to address each suggestion with either why it's that way or a possible way it can be changed. Also in future builds, but also in the current one - you may find something you mentioned has changed - and you should figure out what it means and how you can use it XD.

Edit: I also just realized how random my response to you was in the big post earlier >_>

Edited by wakeskater_X, 02 October 2011 - 05:03 AM.

My Games: 

#38 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:23 AM

Level 6 is nearly finished! New Music is added to level 6, you can't beat it yet, but everything outside of the final boss is finished and playable - more graphics will come later in the level, but most of it is done as well.

Check it out and lemme know what you think! It is pretty hard at the moment, but It is definitely doable. Pay attention to pathing!

My Games: 

#39 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

LEVEL 6 is finished! Whoo wooo... finished out the boss tonight. Only took around 4-5 hours but it is DONE. At least basically it is done, if you find any kinks/bugs let me know.

It's pretty tough, but if you wanna beat the game, you gotta HAVE game. Or just go back and level up all your weapons XD.

Enjoy folks!

Small Update: 0.5b - Fixed a bug with the leaflets, new title logo, few other small fixes.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 07 October 2011 - 08:49 PM.

My Games: 

#40 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:01 AM

Coming soon:
New Secret Skins! (There are already 3 total if you haven't found them)

Level 7 - Destroy the terrifying Plasma Satellite

New Enemies! - Battle the Elite of the Fuscian Force!

**I may be redoing one of the specials as well** (Amplifier might get changed for a new special weapon!)

Also Ideas In the Works, but much later:
Story Panels! - Tell the epic tale of a lone pilot here to save the galaxy!

Upgraded Graphical Effects

Custom BGMs (possibly)

If you have a request for a custom skin - and you've been one of my faithful testers, ;) I may add one in for you.

My Games: 

#41 Enter_Name_Here

Enter_Name_Here

GMC Member

• 109 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

Another level? Download time!
I'll be back in a bit.

#42 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:59 AM

Another level? Download time!
I'll be back in a bit.

Let me know what ya think of the boss ;D I might rework him a bit later too after the core game is finished.

SO to TheUltimate and Enter_Name_Here... i have good news for you guys and bad news.

The bad news is that you're gonna want to go download the latest file.

The good news is that i programmed in special skins for both of you for being supportive fans of the game so far! I will PM you both the codes to check out the new skins just for you guys. ;) They'll only be under these codes for a little while as they'll be general unlockable skins later, but I figured I'd give you somethin different to look at while you play the game ;)

EDIT: smash ball also got a skin but i don't think he visits these forums :)

EDIT2: Sad announcement: I will be taking all the extra skins out of the game for a little while, they're still coded in, but right now I am reworking all the graphics for the ship to add banking graphics when you go left and right and it's pretty much done. I'll have to change all the skins graphics and re - add then later, but in the next few builds they might not be available so enjoy them with this latest file before I upload the new one in a few days.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 11 October 2011 - 05:18 AM.

My Games: 

#43 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

Just completed the BLUE FLAME CHALLENGE - I challenge you to do the same! The idea is this - I did it on easy, but on either easy or hard, beat ALL 6 levels without a single upgrade! That's right with all your starting items! It's doable I just did it!

Here is a SS of the levels, I just went through and beat each one once, so there is a b and a c ;)

Can you guys do the Blue flame challenge?
Spoiler

Edit: BTW these scores are legit, and before I start working on level 7 I am redoing a lot of the graphics for things, so expect a graphics update before another major content update - graphics update coming soon.

EDIT2: New game updated - if you missed the skins :( oh well, they will be put back in later - BUT FOR NOW - enjoy the new graphics (for backgrounds, ships, a few weaps, planets, effects, lots of small things)

(also in the next patch i forgot it for this current build - the detonator is now twice as powerful vs bosses - it just had too slow of a fire rate, so now it will actually do some decent damage against a boss, even though it's not as good for bosses as other weapons. I'll make the orbs bigger too.

EDIT3: Updated AGAIN! Yes I have had lots of free time - Level 7 is now active!! Go out and beat up that mean plasma cannon! It's not the most innovative of my levels so far, but the next one is the final level and I'll put in a lot into the boss fight. SO enjoy Level7!!!

Edited by wakeskater_X, 15 October 2011 - 03:21 AM.

My Games: 

#44 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Level 7 is finished - Check it out!

My Games: 

#45 Enter_Name_Here

Enter_Name_Here

GMC Member

• 109 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

Told you I'd be back. :)
I got the version with level 7 and finally beat some of the levels! I also noticed that the level is always harder than the boss. It should probably be the other way around, you know?
Anyway the boss in level 6 is the second best one after level 2. It's more fun going against aliens than a bunch of machinery that just blindly shoots at you. But the thing that sucks is that he's always at the bottom of the screen and I'm spending more time waiting for him to move than I'm spending shooting at him. I know he's trying to claw at you but it still feels like he's getting in your way. Maybe if he randomly dash attacks you once in a while...
It was fun though, I liked the rooms and fighting people off in the next level. It's really hard with stuff coming at you from the bottom and the sides, but it makes it different from other games where enemies only come from the top and all you do is go from one side of the screen to the other and back and you win that way. But for the whole game it seems like you're always just trying to avoid things long enough to run away, instead of having some sort of goal. The story's kind of like that too, it's like "I'm lost and I have an experimental ship, now I found all these people who are shooting at me, and then I stumbled on their secret lab that I'm going to blow up just cause, and then blow up their satellite that I also found out about by complete accident..." Is the last level going to start tying this all together and then you have a sequel or something? I'd definitely like to see that.
Oh and how do you quit a level if you accidentally go to the wrong one? The only way I see is to quit the game and then start it again. It should save automatically after each level too, so I don't accidentally lose all of my stats whenever I quit the game.
There's also a weird glitch I found. I hit alt and the game froze, then it unfroze and then my ship kept going to the left when I wasn't hitting anything, then I died, the level started again, and I couldn't shoot. It was okay once I shut the game off and started it again.
So good job! Waiting for level 8 now...

#46 Enter_Name_Here

Enter_Name_Here

GMC Member

• 109 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

Oh, and I think you put the new skins in and then took them out while I wasn't here, they aren't in the current version.

#47 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for Commenting Enter!
Yeah* I did remove the skins :(, But I WILL add them later and re-activate your code for you. I just re did the movement graphics so it was necessary to deactivate the skins for a little while.

You say you hit alt huh? I will have to check that out - nothing uses alt atm : / I wonder why that happened. Yes the story is rough. I plan to go back and instead of scrolling text use cutscenes to explain what is happening and re-work the story. I didn't feel like writing a ton, so it doesn't really explain much. You are right, the story kind of just happens. The idea is that you are kind of lost and just trying to survive as the lone pilot unaffected by the fuscians, you get more powerful and can fight back some, but then you realize you need to beat these guys. The last level will be against the mothership of the fuscian army. There is definitely missing story, but i think i'll wait until the cutscenes to add it.

The missing story involves: The home empire you belong to was doing experiments in energy production: They found an energy producing alien and began to process "fuschite" but the fuschite had a mind of it's own and was parasitic and began to take over ships and finally created it's own army: The Fuscia Force.

I will go in depth into this story when I redo all the story levels. Also, yeah if you press the wrong level you have to game over to re-choose - but that's why it asks you if that's what you wanted. I may change this later.

I can also up the difficulty on bosses: That's a good idea - the thought was: If you survived the level, you should have only a bit of HP left to beat the boss, so it shouldn't be TOO hard. XD

Glad you beat some of the levels!!!

I'll work on that bug, thanks Enter!!!

EDIT: *Note on Boss6 - For now the enemies that spawn at the top are there, but I am going to make a new enemy that chases you down and will do more damage and has more HP later. They'll be scary!

Edited by wakeskater_X, 17 October 2011 - 05:11 AM.

My Games: 

#48 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:49 AM

Lol I've already beaten the Blue Flame Challenge. I called it the How The Heck Does The Shop Work challenge, because I didn't figure out how to equip anything until after I'd beaten the version in my other screenshot. You may wanna go for something more intuitive, like clicking on the item's name to equip it instead of that weird drag-n-drop thing you currently have.

Anyways, I'm glad to FINALLY see a boss that has killed me more times than the level has... You should definitely make the boss the hardest part, it's no fun to play through an insane level and then have the boss be a complete pushover lol. To solve the problem of not having any health, just have some checkpoints and health packs lying around. It doesn't have to be right before the boss either, so it's not like you have to make it too easy, and so that if people have to redo the boss like 20 times, they won't get annoyed and ragequit because they're also redoing the level 20 times.

So yeah, the graphics look a LOT better now. I like how the stars scroll at different speeds now, although the illusion stops working when there's a planet and the stars are moving like ten times faster that it. Glad to see you used some of my suggestions though. :) You need enemies that don't go in straight lines now, like going in circles or maybe even orbiting asteroids and sending them into you if they see you. Just to keep things interesting.

And the story... It's so much better than the one currently in the game. Put it in. It's awesome.

(Oh, and the lightning ray doesn't work. :( I totally wanted to try it too...)

TheUltimate

image.png

#49 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

Thanks TheUltimate -

first - The Lightning Ray DOES work - you need to press it close to enemies (for now it doesnt work on bosses or the little purple blob thingies) But when you get within the vicinity of an enemy it auto targets and will fire - could be more intuitive.

For the Shop, (yeah it needs to be reworked - i'll put it on my list) You need to click on say [W] on the ship icon and it goes down - then you can equip a weapon... i guess it's just overall clunky and can be streamlined to be easier. Will do that before level 8 (I think I'm going to rework a lot o things before level 8)

HMMMM a checkpoint is a great idea. Like, you can get there but you'll restart with the same HP/etc when you go back to the checkpoint, unless you restart the level.

And the story - I am going to redo the levels with cutscenes of what is going on - and then it will turn seamlessly into the story - I'll probably add cutscenes after the level too possibly if it's the first completion of the level.

Rough working to do list that I'll probably work on before the last level: This List is Finished
-New Dialogue boxes (default is ugly) <= Added (and Got Papyrus to work)
-Perhaps Checkpoints ( i like this idea ) (But I scratched this idea for now - not arcade-y enough, the levels aren't long enough to warrant)
-Harder Bosses <= Added a new enemy to the boss of Level 3 - Now you can't sit in the back anymore ;)
-New Profile Selection Menu <= New Profile Screen added: Check blog for pics
-Rework Shop <= Added the Change

The story will come later - that will be the last thing I do before removing the WIP status and posting it as a completed game.

Orbiting enemies huh? Maybe in the last level ;). I was actually already planning a kamikaze enemy type in the final level.

BTW graphics will be updated again (specifically the LvL3 background walls) and perhaps a few weapons. And the stars should be going by faster - the planet moves slow cause it is close - the stars move fast because they are far. And the bug in level 3 with the stars being visible in front of the background is fixed in this patch.

Look for an update later this week ;)

Thanks again,

~WakeskaterX~

EDIT: Ok the newest file now lets you click to equip! Easier shop use, also custom text boxes!!! No more ugly grey!!! And there are a few bug fixes with this patch. Will work on some more later and work on the profile stuff and boss content as well (Coming soon ;))
EDIT2: New Upload, a few things added: enemy in Boss of Level 3 added, New Profile Selection, New Font for Message Boxes, a couple other fixes.

Edited by wakeskater_X, 19 October 2011 - 10:36 PM.

My Games: 

#50 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:27 AM

"the planet moves slow cause it is close..."
It's actually the other way around, I believe. The closer something is, the faster it seems to move. Should be easy to mess around with until it looks right to you, though. And I actually didn't think those were stars in front of you for the indoor levels. I thought it was space dust, and I thought that it was a nice touch.

Cutscenes would be good too, just to have some visuals instead of just reading text on a black background. You planning to make animated cutscenes or just sort of a storyboard?

As for bosses, sticking a bunch of ordinary enemies in will make it harder, but it won't necessarily make it more fun, especially if you're spending more time going around enemies than you are fighting the boss. Don't get me wrong, though, it's great for maybe one or two bosses, just as long as you don't overdo it. Just give the boss more attacks or something, make it feel more threatening. Right now, most of the main bosses don't really react to what you do, it's the turrets and enemies that chase you around while they sit there and do nothing. Like the boss in level 7. Have the satellite actually pivot and aim at you instead of running on a timer. I'm sure that alone would make it a lot harder. :)

And yay, you fixed the shop! I'll be sure to try it out later, and figure out the lightning ray too.

TheUltimate

image.png