#1021 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

RogueLime by Dark Matter and Theg721

I'm sorry to say, but I got bored of fighting bores all the time. I guess with more time this game can turn into something, but with non-skippable text (unless I didn't try the right button) I wasn't going to stay interested too long. The combat system was down though, and has potential. I read if this gets in the top 3 then the game will be continued... That remains to be seen!

Yeah, there were a few too many boars :P
Time was the issue really, as originally I thought I had a partner, who could do half the work, but discovered late on I didn't <_<
Glad you liked the combat :)

Live rogue - By Dark Matter and theg721
Although equally aimless to RogueLife, I prefer this one because it has a couple of nifty graphical effects, humour and the download link and exit button didn't use an Internet bridge troll to extort money from me.

-Most boars.
-Most sociopathic protagonist.

Someone appreciated the graphical effects :D Also, they actually thought it was humorous. I'm glad I pulled that off. Yeah, I try not to use Internet bridge trolls if I can help it.

#1022 fenyxofshadows

fenyxofshadows

coobie

• GMC Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

@fenyxofshadows: I couldn't find a topic for your game so I'll just mention here that I beat it but I didn't get to read the ending because the boss kept shooting during when she talked and I lost my last life during it. It was the pattern where she fires red and blue bullets. (Paths traversed and forgotten or something)

And that's the glitch that I mentioned in my topic that I would fix after the judging is complete. I'm glad you beat it though :).

The Meaning of Life and Death
There was one enemy and you shot at it. That was it.
Theme use: Not really...
1/10

Something tells me you A) Aren't good at bullet hell shooters. B) Didn't actually read the dialogue. C) You're judging solely on complex and interesting gameplay dealing with concepts that you personally enjoy. One word: Variety. This game does have it, if you are good enough.

Edited by fenyxofshadows, 06 August 2011 - 04:59 PM.

#1023 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

I really wish I was able to finish my game, but oh well. I am making a C++ Port of it.

I am willing to attempt the port the winners game into C++ on the given conditions. Tailware becomes the publisher of said game, and the game be double-tail enabled. I can only port 2d games, and currently I can not use the image_xscale or image_yscale function because I have not coded it.

This is not a guantee port for anyone, but I may consider it.

#1024 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

@fenyxofshadows: I couldn't find a topic for your game so I'll just mention here that I beat it but I didn't get to read the ending because the boss kept shooting during when she talked and I lost my last life during it. It was the pattern where she fires red and blue bullets. (Paths traversed and forgotten or something)

And that's the glitch that I mentioned in my topic that I would fix after the judging is complete. I'm glad you beat it though :).

The Meaning of Life and Death
There was one enemy and you shot at it. That was it.
Theme use: Not really...
1/10

Something tells me you A) Aren't good at bullet hell shooters. B) Didn't actually read the dialogue. C) You're judging on complex and interesting gameplay. One word: Variety. This game does have it, if you are good enough.

A) Hmm... not really :P
B) Well... :whistle:
C) I'm just judging on what I find fun. If there was more after shooting for ages, I apologise :unsure:
I had a lot to get through so I didn't spend as long as I could have done on some of them.

#1025 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

People are entitled to their opinion on your game. However obvious your game may be to figure out to you, it may baffle others within the first few seconds. The same thing happened to me, where the majority of players couldn't make it past the very first puzzle in my game, but the proper response isn't to tell them they aren't "good enough" at it to understand it.

Also, does a seemingly random numeric rating matter at all? Not really.

-PF

#1026 fenyxofshadows

fenyxofshadows

coobie

• GMC Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

Completely understandable.... I probably could have given Eisiol about half of his health, halving the time spent on each pattern.

The game is also meant for those who are used to bullet hell, so if you aren't, it's very difficult, if you are, it would actually seem rather easy.

I just feel that 1/10, no matter the context, to be rather harsh for any game that was made in 72 hours. Every game that he reviewed should not have gotten a 1/10, unless literally unplayable.

And as far as the theme goes: It was in the dialogue. If it was not read, then there's really no theme, but it is there.

*runs off to play DonPachi*

Edited by fenyxofshadows, 06 August 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#1027 Klassic

Klassic

Magnesium Ninja

• GMC Member
  • 242 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

As little as it matters, I agree with Fenyx. Not even attempting to understand the concept of the game you're playing, and then rating it low because you don't understand it is somewhat childish and it impacts the developer in a number of ways.

#1028 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1468 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

I HAVE A VOTE!!! THANK YOU SOULSNATCHER!!!

I've downloaded new .zip and will play all of them and review AMAP!

Also, new version of Livewire should be done very soooooon :)

#1029 Punky

Punky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

Dark Matter

Live Talk Show Hero
Not much going on. A bit boring. It was easy to cheat by repeatedly pressing all the keys. Graphics were bad and there was no variation in the gameplay.
Theme use: It was on a live TV show. Okay.
3/10

And yes, I already admitted that you can cheat by smashing the buttons.
I didn't care enough about the project to try and fix that, it seemed like more work then I cared to put into this.

There are actually two variations to gameplay one which is a consistent speed of notes and eventually ends, and one that gets increasingly faster and doesnt stop.
That's a variation of two gameplays, your statement of "no variation" is invalid.

Considering I only put 30 minutes into these graphics
"the graphics were bad"
I can live with that.
Posted Image

"Theme use: It was on a live TV show. Okay."
"You were on Live TV. Yes, a pretty poor theme use, but preferable to YCD." - SHOWTIME
"Live TV again (2 in a row). However, this one did it a bit better, with TV screen effects that actually worked." - Rogue Game

Bahaha you blasted two games that actually used the correct theme.

When voting did you not keep in mind that the objective of the competition was to use the word "LIVE" as in live event....
And not live as in living... lol
I take your critique with less than a grain of salt, or should I say less than a partial of dark-matter. :}

Edited by Punky, 06 August 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#1030 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3163 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

RogueLime by Dark Matter and Theg721

I'm sorry to say, but I got bored of fighting bores all the time. I guess with more time this game can turn into something, but with non-skippable text (unless I didn't try the right button) I wasn't going to stay interested too long. The combat system was down though, and has potential. I read if this gets in the top 3 then the game will be continued... That remains to be seen!

Yeah, there were a few too many boars :P
Time was the issue really, as originally I thought I had a partner, who could do half the work, but discovered late on I didn't <_<
Glad you liked the combat :)

Out of this review though and it ended up getting one of my votes!

#1031 Punky

Punky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

I just realized Dark Matter made a game revolving around the Live event, so I kind of look like a dink-wad. :/
Any who thanks for the support soulsnatcher, but I see you recently changed your votes as well.

Edited by Punky, 06 August 2011 - 09:27 PM.

#1032 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3163 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

Okay, here's my list of reviews. I'm being very ambitioius with 57 or so games to review (although Soulsnatcher and zeddidragon have done it). My top 3 will be stated at the bottom of this post. I'm going to give each game a score out of ten, as well as a short paragraph of my thought for each. I hope you'll excuse me for not writing whole essays (especially towards the end) - I have a lot of games to review. The use of theme will have a short sentence too. Any games that simply used the concept that "you can die, so it's based on the theme - alive or whatever, may simply be abbreviated to YCD - You Can Die).

Breaking News
The concept was nice and worked pretty well. I could see it being pretty fun if continued. The graphics were fairly poor. There wasn't much to do - there was just one scene with a few events. I couldn't figure out how to exit from the highscores list without quitting the game, which was annoying as I wanted to replay.
Theme use: You were filming live. A pretty good implementation of it.
5/10

Nice review, I think you have summed up what I was trying to do here, so I am happy! And by reading through the rest of your "Theme use" parts in each review, you consider mine to be one of the most original theme-full games! :D My idea was to get across an idea!

#1033 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

I seem to have upset a few people :whistle:

@fenyxofshadows - You're right. I probably did rate too harshly. I'll play it again properly and re-rate it. None of the games were unplayable, but I suppose some were very good. I'll make sure I don't do it next time.

@Klassic - I wouldn't call it childish. I didn't do it on purpose. But it wasn't the right thing to do, no.

@Punky - I didn't take the theme into account when actually voting on the games. I rated them simply on gameplay - I just added a comment. I know how easy it is to overlook a theme (well, for my anyway), so I thought it'd be unfair to. Please do take my critique with a grain of salt. I had a lot of games to get through, so some may not have got quite the fairest of comments. Sorry!

@Soulsnatcher - Yay! :D Also, I'm glad I didn't review everyone unfairly :P I liked the idea, it just needed more content and polish really.

Live rogue - By Dark Matter and partner?
Bahaha, I crushed the woman's head with my mallet. Awesome.
But when I ran into a boar, nothing I did worked at all...
It's funny I liked that there were no other options when dealing with the lady other then the 3 combat options.

I knew someone would appreciate the dark humour :P
The boars didn't move quite right. I think it's because their (or the player's) mask was a bit off or something. It worked well enough though, I thought.
Hehe, yep. I didn't feel I should let you give any mercy to her. She didn't deserve it :skull:

#1034 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3163 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

Breaking News! - By Soulsnatcher
Seriously, the idea for this game is awesome. The execution could have been better but the idea alone is by far one of the most original games based on Live Events.

Thanks! I had so little time during the 72 hours, I literally could only spend 2 and a half hours on this, so as long as I got the idea across, I'm happy!

#1035 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

I seem to have upset a few people :whistle:

You were brave enough to speak your honest opinion of what you thought of the games. I'm fine with that. ^_^

Sanctum
Okay. It told me I needed to "live" to survive. No, really? :P The shadow effects were pretty nice, but inside the house it got so limiting you couldn't really see anything. The gameplay seemed to consist of your standard (zombie?) TDS-ing. Graphics were okay, but nothing special. Sounds were the same.
Theme use: YCD.
6/10

Haha, yeah that's about right. There is a fine line between placing restrictions (such as limiting vision) to make something scary and making something frustrating. It appears you were more frustrated with it, and yes, generic theme use is generic. :P

#1036 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

Spoiler

Hate to say it, but I found your review a little unfair. I don't know if you read my topic, but my game's not going to be crazy complicated because it's the second game I've ever made. I think you should focus on the fact that there's actually a story too, and that it definitely fits the theme if you think about it. I didn't go for the direct "run for your life" interpretation, which doesn't mean it's got nothing to do with "live." And there aren't any errors in the game. I tried it, a lot of other people tried it, there aren't any. Thanks for the review anyway...

Spoiler

Really? Try the new version and see if it works, or try it on a different computer. Sometimes games won't work properly on different PCs...
You should really try it, though. I spent a lot of time making that game.

If we're going to have a zip containing every game, use this one instead by me:
[*]A "read me" file explaining the controls for High On Life is included.

Thanks for the full zip. But, what lead you to the conclusion that nobody else wanted a readme file too?

Just so you know, I also re-fixed that bug in my game with the blob. Please go download it HERE.
I wonder if Davve will put this with the other games, so that the one bug is gone...

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 06 August 2011 - 10:52 PM.

#1037 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

Yoyo Games (through Kirsty AKA Scotay) - Yoyos for the top three runners up and a T-shirt for the winner as well!

I do not understand this. Will the people who get 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place get a yoyo... and the winner only gets a T-shirt?
Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have a yoyo than a t-shirt(got plenty of 'em). :P

Edited by orange08, 06 August 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#1038 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3163 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

Yoyo Games (through Kirsty AKA Scotay) - Yoyos for the top three runners up and a T-shirt for the winner as well!

I do not understand this. Will the people who get 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place get a yoyo... and the winner only gets a T-shirt?
Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have a yoyo than a t-shirt(got plenty of 'em). :P

When I read it, I assumed 1st, 2nd and 3rd get a yoyo, and 1st gets a t-shirt aswell, but now you mention it, the top three runners up I suppose are technically 2nd, 3rd and 4th :blink:

#1039 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4041 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

3000th post!

I wonder if Davve will put this with the other games, so that the one bug is gone...

Allright, I'll update the zip tomorrow. If anybody else needs some changes, tell me.

#1040 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:04 PM

3000 posts? Nice.
Thanks for offering to put the fixed version in, Davve. I hope there's nothing else that I missed...

TheUltimate

#1041 Fuzzle

Fuzzle

The Super Pickle

• 163 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:04 PM

Don't complain that someone gave you a bad review.

Thank them for bothering to play it and share their thoughts.

At Dark Matter: My apologies that your computer doesn't have an Insert key with which to play my game. It's okay, though, you aren't missing much.

Edited by Fuzzle, 06 August 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#1042 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

RogueLife
The menu was nice - minimalist, but gave a good impression. Upon starting, I found out the character moved very slowly, the speed needed to be doubled at least. The text was a bit hard to read, but that's to be expected with a pixel font. Combat was simplistic, but it worked, and was all that could have been expected given the time frame. I liked the music, and thought the donation link on the main menu was quite clever. However, clicking on the "MENU" button took you to the menu, without saving or anything. This is counter-intuitive, as I thought it would contain a "RESUME" button. Unfortunately, I had to start over. The random generation was nice, although there weren't that many different features. I liked how you trailed blood when you were injured. There was no objective, so I was just wondering around, but for the time we had, this was a pretty good game.
Theme use: not that good. Just your basic "well, the main character is alive" attempt - YCD.
7/10

I think you got the general experience I was aiming for. I'm glad you liked the details!

Also, I agree clicking menu should have saved, but I found out half way through development that GM won't save data systems so I have to write my own save system. The common complaint seems to be that the game needs an objective; that's understandable.

Thanks for the favorable review and high score :)

RogueLife - By True Valhalla
That's one strong unarmed naked man.
Can you heal in this game? Or do you just walk around until your dead?
Could be turned into more for sure, looks like a nice little example of what you can do.

Haha, yeah he'll have armor one day. You can heal, you have to find wells scattered around the map. Some are poisoned, some fully heal you, and others have a chance of both.

I'm glad you see the potential of the game, thanks for playing!

Live rogue - By Dark Matter and theg721
Although equally aimless to RogueLife, I prefer this one because it has a couple of nifty graphical effects, humour and the download link and exit button didn't use an Internet bridge troll to extort money from me.

Only just noticed this comment...I mean really Zeddi, you act like you've never seen an ad on the internet before :rolleyes:

Edited by True Valhalla, 06 August 2011 - 11:09 PM.

#1043 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

Sorry about that, motg. I thought I had preserved directory structure for all the games that came from zip files but I must have missed yours.

That's not the problem. The problem is that the instructions are in the topic, and anyone who uses the zip sails right past the topic!

So, to anyone reading this, if you want to play my game without dying on the first level in the easiest difficulty: the topic is where you want to be.

#1044 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:31 AM

When voting did you not keep in mind that the objective of the competition was to use the word "LIVE" as in live event....

You seem to have been misinformed, because it was clearly stated several times that the theme was open to interpretation. Meaning, you could use any definition of the word that you liked.

#1045 Punky

Punky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:51 AM

You seem to have been misinformed, because it was clearly stated several times that the theme was open to interpretation. Meaning, you could use any definition of the word that you liked.

That wasn't until shortly after Nocturne's discussion about the originally intended theme.
So I believe your mistaken considering Nocturne had pointed out earlier that the intended theme had nothing to do with living or life.

The theme was not originally intended to be open to interpretation, just that so many people thought it was, so it had to be allowed. :/

Edited by Punky, 07 August 2011 - 01:53 AM.

#1046 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:34 AM

That wasn't until shortly after Nocturne's discussion about the originally intended theme.
So I believe your mistaken considering Nocturne had pointed out earlier that the intended theme had nothing to do with living or life.

The theme was not originally intended to be open to interpretation, just that so many people thought it was, so it had to be allowed. :/

If I understand correctly, Nocturne allowed the interpretation of the theme as "life" because it's just the noun form of "live."

Teh Post

It was most definitely supposed to be open to interpretation, as all the previous jams have been.

Although I do agree with you that I'm a bit disappointed with the games that have been "my character lives so it follows the theme" because that's like every game in existence.

Regardless, in the end it's the voters' decision on how strictly to follow the theme, so it's not like anyone's right or wrong here.

Edited by ThatSnail, 07 August 2011 - 02:34 AM.

#1047 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 850 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:40 AM

BEFORE the theme was announced:

Now, another clue perhaps???

Okay, the theme is open to multiple interpretations....

#1048 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:29 AM

Due to me having no life I went and compiled all of the votes as of today. Don't take this as an official count because there's a good chance I missed a few (also I didn't put in Soulsnatcher's votes because I couldn't figure out how to number them).

(I also didn't put in IQbrew's votes because well. Heh.)

The format is the author of the game with the votes following it (1 being a 1st place vote, etc). Games with no numbers after them have no votes as of yet.

Spoiler

With the SSE system, if I remember correctly, games without at least 2 first place votes are eliminated immediately. Therefore, the following games are in the race for first place. Note: the other games are still in the running for second and third. I think. Depending on how the SSE is going to work for those.
Spoiler

There's still a week left to vote, so plenty of time for the data to change, but that's (roughly) the standings for now.

EDIT: Fixed CoolGamrSms's score, of which I missed like four votes. Stressing this again, this is a completely unofficial list. Thought I got most of the votes but I guess not because jeez I must be high or something to miss that many votes.

Edited by ThatSnail, 07 August 2011 - 04:19 AM.

#1049 link3000

link3000

Link3000

• GMC Member
  • 1130 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:43 AM

28 link3000 no votes
29 ElecGM 3 votes

what even is this :(

#1050 Punky

Punky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:52 AM

28 link3000 no votes
29 ElecGM 3 votes

what even is this :(

This appears to be an unofficial spoiler of the winner.
Each number is someone's vote for you, 1,2,3 is good, anything else is just misc.
If you have no numbers then you have no official votes towards your game?

Or are you just puzzled that a game has votes and yours does not? :(
The 10 days aren't over, and now that there is a ZIP people are more likely to try each game.

I never intended to get a single vote, I just wanted a laugh glad I got some. ^^

BEFORE the theme was announced:

Now, another clue perhaps???

Okay, the theme is open to multiple interpretations....

Either way, games involving "living" don't seem that original in the first place so they should rank low.

However favoritism is sometimes the victor in these sort of things, though anyone who wins deserves it. :D
Since a lot of these submissions were actually play-able besides a couple which I had issues even starting up.
But those are things one can't predict, kind of like I couldn't predict that someone would want to play my game in fullscreen and the fact that they couldn't was a factor in their vote. :/

Edited by Punky, 07 August 2011 - 04:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users