1230 replies to this topic

#1001 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

Bahaha you blasted two games that actually used the correct theme.

When voting did you not keep in mind that the objective of the competition was to use the word "LIVE" as in live event....
And not live as in living... lol

You seem to have been misinformed, because it was clearly stated several times that the theme was open to interpretation. Meaning, you could use any definition of the word that you liked.

That wasn't until shortly after Nocturne's discussion about the originally intended theme.
So I believe your mistaken considering Nocturne had pointed out earlier that the intended theme had nothing to do with living or life.

The theme was not originally intended to be open to interpretation, just that so many people thought it was, so it had to be allowed. :/

If I understand correctly, Nocturne allowed the interpretation of the theme as "life" because it's just the noun form of "live."

Teh Post

It was most definitely supposed to be open to interpretation, as all the previous jams have been.

Although I do agree with you that I'm a bit disappointed with the games that have been "my character lives so it follows the theme" because that's like every game in existence.

Regardless, in the end it's the voters' decision on how strictly to follow the theme, so it's not like anyone's right or wrong here.

Edited by ThatSnail, 07 August 2011 - 02:48 AM.

#1002 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 852 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:54 AM

Bahaha you blasted two games that actually used the correct theme.

When voting did you not keep in mind that the objective of the competition was to use the word "LIVE" as in live event....
And not live as in living... lol

You seem to have been misinformed, because it was clearly stated several times that the theme was open to interpretation. Meaning, you could use any definition of the word that you liked.

That wasn't until shortly after Nocturne's discussion about the originally intended theme.
So I believe your mistaken considering Nocturne had pointed out earlier that the intended theme had nothing to do with living or life.

The theme was not originally intended to be open to interpretation, just that so many people thought it was, so it had to be allowed. :/

BEFORE the theme was announced:

Now, another clue perhaps???

Okay, the theme is open to multiple interpretations....

"The reason programming is addictive is the same reason a good game is addictive: it constantly feeds you with a sense of minor accomplishment on your way to [achieving] the greater goal."

Yal

Planning to build a network of like-minded, innovative GameMaker developers, connected by a set of tools for building awesome games. Interested? PM me.

#1003 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:43 AM

Due to me having no life I went and compiled all of the votes as of today. Don't take this as an official count because there's a good chance I missed a few (also I didn't put in Soulsnatcher's votes because I couldn't figure out how to number them).

(I also didn't put in IQbrew's votes because well. Heh.)

The format is the author of the game with the votes following it (1 being a 1st place vote, etc). Games with no numbers after them have no votes as of yet.

Spoiler

With the SSE system, if I remember correctly, games without at least 2 first place votes are eliminated immediately. Therefore, the following games are in the race for first place. Note: the other games are still in the running for second and third. I think. Depending on how the SSE is going to work for those.
Spoiler

There's still a week left to vote, so plenty of time for the data to change, but that's (roughly) the standings for now.

EDIT: Fixed CoolGamrSms's score, of which I missed like four votes. Stressing this again, this is a completely unofficial list. Thought I got most of the votes but I guess not because jeez I must be high or something to miss that many votes.

Edited by ThatSnail, 07 August 2011 - 04:33 AM.

#1004 link3000

link3000

Link3000

• GMC Member
  • 1130 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:57 AM

28 link3000 no votes
29 ElecGM 3 votes

what even is this :(

Link3000

#1005 Punky

Punky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:06 AM

28 link3000 no votes
29 ElecGM 3 votes

what even is this :(

This appears to be an unofficial spoiler of the winner.
Each number is someone's vote for you, 1,2,3 is good, anything else is just misc.
If you have no numbers then you have no official votes towards your game?

Or are you just puzzled that a game has votes and yours does not? :(
The 10 days aren't over, and now that there is a ZIP people are more likely to try each game.

I never intended to get a single vote, I just wanted a laugh glad I got some. ^^

Either way, games involving "living" don't seem that original in the first place so they should rank low.

However favoritism is sometimes the victor in these sort of things, though anyone who wins deserves it. :D
Since a lot of these submissions were actually play-able besides a couple which I had issues even starting up.
But those are things one can't predict, kind of like I couldn't predict that someone would want to play my game in fullscreen and the fact that they couldn't was a factor in their vote. :/

Edited by Punky, 07 August 2011 - 04:15 AM.

Posted Image

#1006 link3000

link3000

Link3000

• GMC Member
  • 1130 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:13 AM

This appears to be an unofficial spoiler of the winner.
Each number is someone's vote for you, 1,2,3 is good, anything else is just misc.
If you have no numbers then you have no official votes towards your game?

Or are you just puzzled that a game has votes and yours does not? :(
The 10 days aren't over, and now that there is a ZIP people are more likely to try each game.

That game wasn't released. :P

I thought it very ironic that my game got no votes and a game that wasn't even released got 3, beating out many other games. I actually worked pretty hard on my game, and was sad when people didn't like it. This was insult to injury, in a way.

Either way, games involving "living" don't seem that original in the first place so they should rank low.
But favoritism is the victor in these sort of things, I'm not crabby about not placing. :}
I never intended to get a single vote, I just wanted a laugh and I got some.

I agree, simple games involving "live as long as you can" were plentiful and unfortunate. I tried using electricity for mine (hence 'livewire'), but didn't have enough time to efficiently incorporate an idea I had for it, so it limited how visible the theme was in my game.

Link3000

#1007 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:19 AM

That doesn't... what? People who followed the theme should be ranked lower? I don't really think the Jam is about making a bizarre interpretation of the theme. It's more about seeing how fun of a game you can make within the 72 hour timeframe. The theme is likely in place to give people ideas and to make all the games have a common aspect.

Help me finally finish my game! Click Here!
Tri-Level Dice | Icon Editor | Don't Die (GMC Jam)

Posted Image

#1008 link3000

link3000

Link3000

• GMC Member
  • 1130 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:22 AM

@Punky - Just saw your review: I did make the graphics, so thanks! ^_^ Also, if it's running slowly, you can turn off some of the effects in the options menu from the start screen (the most noticeable will be bloom, though turning AA off will help too).

Thanks again!

Link3000

#1009 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1889 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

Only just noticed this comment...I mean really Zeddi, you act like you've never seen an ad on the internet before :rolleyes:

Doesn't mean I have to like them.

My adblock doesn't work with GM games :[

Also, your ad.fly link were keeping me from getting your game, remember?

Edited by zeddidragon, 07 August 2011 - 08:29 AM.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#1010 CoolGamrSms

CoolGamrSms

Scorching Strings Maker

• GMC Member
  • 1499 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

I calculated the results so far up to and including Punky's votes. Not included: IQBrew's votes, Soulsnatcher's votes. I'm not 100% positive that the numbers are correct, but this should be a good indicator of how things are going so far.

1st. Doodledoo
2nd. Don't Die
3rd. Die
4th. The Statues Live
5th. Tie: SakanaJo / Colour My World

These are the only ones I know so far.

NOTE: I probably won't be updating this.

Edited by CoolGamrSms, 07 August 2011 - 09:08 AM.

Help me finally finish my game! Click Here!
Tri-Level Dice | Icon Editor | Don't Die (GMC Jam)

Posted Image

#1011 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

Me'n the Mouse, eh?

En Garde -- Have at thee!

BRB 3 years for University

#1012 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:04 AM

Spoiler

Hate to say it, but I found your review a little unfair. I don't know if you read my topic, but my game's not going to be crazy complicated because it's the second game I've ever made. I think you should focus on the fact that there's actually a story too, and that it definitely fits the theme if you think about it.

I did see it was your second game, and I did think it was a little unfair on you, but I decided that I should rate all the games the same, no matter how experienced the game maker. I didn't always read the topic carefully, because I reasoned that anyone can make up a backstory and post it, but unless you actually see it in the gameplay, it's not really there. It was a good game for your second, and I was comparing it to other people who've made plenty of games, so don't feel bad about my score - it's not that bad really...
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#1013 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hurray you win for being the most boring game I've played yet.

Hurray, for not understanding the idea of this competition:

Remember everyone, the aim of the Jam is not to win, but to participate, experiment, and have as much fun as possible!

This is why I probably won't be entering the next Jam; because of people like you who think that this is something other than 72-hours to do something interesting with Game Maker. Which is sad, because I was actually having fun with the initial part of the competition, only to have it sucked out by reviews that just criticise rather than appraise.

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#1014 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8685 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Spoiler

Hate to say it, but I found your review a little unfair. I don't know if you read my topic, but my game's not going to be crazy complicated because it's the second game I've ever made.

Would you be happier getting a "sympathy review" because you're a newbie? Or an honest assessment?

I understand your disappointment, but Dark Matter's review was fair and honest. Not unkind at all. This isn't the "Special Olympics". Reviews should be about the game -- not the author's ability. (For what it's worth, I thought your game was OK ;) )

#1015 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

Yoyo Games (through Kirsty AKA Scotay) - Yoyos for the top three runners up and a T-shirt for the winner as well!

I do not understand this. Will the people who get 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place get a yoyo... and the winner only gets a T-shirt?
Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have a yoyo than a t-shirt(got plenty of 'em). :P

I'm still waiting for an answer about this question.

By the way...

46 orange08 (The Statues Live!)      3 1 3 4 2 2 2 1

^Quote from ThatSnail

Apparently you skipped a few of the votes. I counted up all the votes for The Statues Live... here they are:
Edit: Added another 2 at the end because TheSnidr edited his post and generously voted me for 2nd place =D

I knew for sure that I had gotten 3 people who voted me for first place, so I knew something was wrong with your tally there. ;)

Edited by orange08, 07 August 2011 - 05:50 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#1016 Punky

Punky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

Hurray you win for being the most boring game I've played yet.

Hurray, for not understanding the idea of this competition:

Remember everyone, the aim of the Jam is not to win, but to participate, experiment, and have as much fun as possible!

This is why I probably won't be entering the next Jam; because of people like you who think that this is something other than 72-hours to do something interesting with Game Maker. Which is sad, because I was actually having fun with the initial part of the competition, only to have it sucked out by reviews that just criticise rather than appraise.

Sorry, it was just the only comment I could make for your game.
And after individual downloading 67 games and playing them each, I got a little bitter through my reviews, and I apologize for that.

But your game had a player object with image_angle=direction-90 or something along those lines.
And then a bunch of random debris falling from the sky, and rockets blasting up.
As soon as I saw the rockets going up, I tried to go up and started bouncing on the edge of the room, not very entertaining to start there.

So now I'm assuming I'm traveling across the face of the earth while disaster happens, I'm also told to not pick up any survivors and I didn't see any survivors which I had to avoid besides the other rockets blasting off. :/

So where's the gameplay? direct a rocket around and move around a level is all I saw.
I'm sorry that I found that boring since it seemed like something I could make in less then 30 minutes.
But I guess I should just praise everything I see.

Sorry if your review seemed cruel and a bit harsh, but if your going to make a game based on life I suggest you make living the top priority I didn't die after the 2 minute timer was up.
What was the point of the timer? How hard/how much time would it have taken to add a game over screen at the end of the timer?
Anyways, sorry you feel that you don't want to participate in friendly jams, I'd hate to see how you'd feel in some sort of actual competition and were reviewed poorly on something you spent more then three days on.

Edited by Punky, 07 August 2011 - 03:33 PM.

Posted Image

#1017 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25648 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Yoyo Games (through Kirsty AKA Scotay) - Yoyos for the top three runners up and a T-shirt for the winner as well!

I do not understand this. Will the people who get 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place get a yoyo... and the winner only gets a T-shirt?
Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have a yoyo than a t-shirt(got plenty of 'em). :P

Winner gets a Yoyo AND a t-shirt! (and an ode, and a web page, and a video review etc, etc, etc....)

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#1018 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

Sorry, it was just the only comment I could make for your game.
[...]

I feel it's wrong for you to speculate on what my game contains, as you've never seen the .gmk and I haven't even commented on your game, and I'm not going to justify why I think it shouldn't be criticised in a "friendly [Jam]" (your words); that should be obvious. Thank you for taking the time to review all of the games, including mine, but perhaps if you are liable to get "bitter" while reviewing, you should reconsider whether it's appropriate next time. :)

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

Insightful links:

#1019 Punky

Punky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

Well that's why I took the time to explain myself in my latest review for you.
I can attempt to speculate how you did anything, it's kind of how I play games these days.

Your going to try and tell me you didn't use image_angle or direction for the rotation of your sprite?

Also, for you to think it's wrong for me to speculate what your game contains, I did this to every game.
This is also the first time I've ever reviewed games on this forum, let alone more then one at a time, so yes attempting to thoroughly review 57 of them was time consuming and kind of made me realize how much time I was wasting while doing such. :(

Besides, it's easier to say what you don't like about something compared to what you do like.

I liked the trees, buildings and the atmosphere of your game.
It wasn't visually boring, just the game play was dry and you made the game tell me not to do things like save people.
And I couldn't find anyone to save to begin with, I hope you aren't too sore about my review... It was very harsh being very blunt and not saying anything positive about it.

Edited by Punky, 07 August 2011 - 05:13 PM.

Posted Image

#1020 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

Yay! I'm so far in 15th place :P ! I actually am surprised at how many votes Enliven is getting. Completely unexpected given the amount of work I put into it (not that I didn't put effort into it, but TV shows and movies sort of took priority of the Jam this time :lol: ).

Soulsnatcher, you should probably rank the three votes in your post so they can be more easily counted. After all...my game is there :P .

-IMP

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#1021 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

Winner gets a Yoyo AND a t-shirt! (and an ode, and a web page, and a video review etc, etc, etc....)

Alright, I just want to make sure I understand this.
Yoyogames is giving away 4 yoyos to the top 4 people, and a shirt for the winner.
Right? o_0

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#1022 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

Yoyogames is giving away 4 yoyos to the top 4 people, and a shirt for the winner.
Right? o_0

Although technically "top 3 runners-up" means 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place, intuitively I'd assume it means here that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places get a yo-yo and 1st place also gets a T-shirt.

-IMP

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#1023 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Apparently you skipped a few of the votes. I counted up all the votes for The Statues Live... here they are:
Edit: Added another 2 at the end because TheSnidr edited his post and generously voted me for 2nd place =D

I knew for sure that I had gotten 3 people who voted me for first place, so I knew something was wrong with your tally there. ;)

You're right, I messed it up. Recounted all of them (turns out I must've hit the page down key or something, I missed a lot and had some that weren't supposed to be there). Ended up with a different count for The Statues Live! though (double-checked it too) so I think you have it wrong.

Here's the updated one with (hopefully) all of the votes correctly up to and including Punky's (not including Soulsnatcher's or IQbrew's vote):
Spoiler

Putting these games in the running after the first round of SSE:
Spoiler

#1024 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3328 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

Good job counting the votes so far, but just to keep things straight - you forgot a 1st vote for me.

I can't really believe how many votes my game gets... I really appreciate it guys :)
But there are still a lot of voting left to be done, things can still change drastically

#1025 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25648 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

Right? o_0

Although technically "top 3 runners-up" means 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place, intuitively I'd assume it means here that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places get a yo-yo and 1st place also gets a T-shirt.

-IMP

That is exactly what I meant, IMP. I should probably have omitted the "runners up" bit and just said "the top three get... and the winner also gets..."... oh well!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#1026 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

Good job counting the votes so far, but just to keep things straight - you forgot a 1st vote for me.

asdfasdfasdfasdf

Fixed yours, CubinJ's and chance's votes; I missed a voter. Hopefully these are accurate now and otherwise have a chicken. :chikin
Spoiler

#1027 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7624 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

I'm going to assume those aren't arranged in any particular order except by when they were uploaded.

Edited by makerofthegames, 07 August 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#1028 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

asdfasdfasdfasdf

Fixed yours, CubinJ's and chance's votes; I missed a voter. Hopefully these are accurate now and otherwise have a chicken. :chikin

Now sort them in order of most votes? :)

#1029 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

P.S. I got a vote courtesy of soulsnatcher Posted Image

2a7ubuv.jpg

#1030 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

P.S. I got a vote courtesy of soulsnatcher Posted Image

The problem with his votes was that he did 3 1st places, so they can't be counted until he finished his.

27. Rogue Live by Dark Matter and Theg721
+ Graphics
+ Dialogue
- Slow combat system
- Inconsistency
- No goal
- No sound

This is obviously not finished, but it's still an entry. The graphics were pretty good, but rather inconsistent (compare the text on the first menu, or the weapon symbols in the combat interface with the rest and you'll see.) The movement system was allright, but was that red arrow really neccessary? Now, the combat system was neat the first couple of times, but then it started to become slow and more irritating, especially with those boars popping up without warning and starting a fight. There should be a way to speed up the text.
I honestly did not expect the player to chop the princess into pieces , that was a fun twist.

You liked the graphics? o.O
The combat system should have had skippable text, yes. I don't know why I didn't add that in...
Yeah, the graphics were a little inconsistent. I put quite a bit of it together at the last moment.
Nope, no goal. Didn't get that far. Didn't get far enough for sound either :P
The red arrow was a result of an earlier real-time combat system, which I forgot to take out.
In regards with the woman/princess, I have a slightly... dark... sense of humour >:D
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#1031 link3000

link3000

Link3000

• GMC Member
  • 1130 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

39. LiVEWiRE by link3000
+ Main menu
+ Graphics
- Gameplay
- Lag

I immediately fell in love with the main menu, but I'm afraid the game itself is not nearly as perfect. For some reason, it ran very slow on my computer, resulting with the waiting time between the rounds becoming unbearable, driving me to stop playing. The camera was way too sensitive and it was hard to see where you were aiming. The enimies were also way to strong.

Did it run slow even after turning down settings? I assume you saw the settings menu, since you liked the menu so much. Sorry you didn't like the gameplay; it's certainly repetitive (as many people pointed out) but you can also adjust the sensitivity in the options menu as well.

Link3000

#1032 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7624 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

I hate how you split the two topics up. And not just because I got them confused, it just makes it harder for people to respond to comments in general.

High On Life
The graphics were poor. The voice acting didn't fit the sentences - it was probably computer generated. The running level was far too long. Controls were not the best. The gameplay wasn't that fun.
Theme use: YCD.
2/10

I take offense to that one. Honestly? Seriously? "High On Life" theme use: You can die. Really? Not to mention what actually happens in to game, which I will mention, but just the name of the game is more than "you can die," I mean come on. You sky-dive out of a plane and fight a helicopter on your way down to the roof-tops where you jump across sky-scrapers and jump into a portal and fight...other...dimensional...things...and surf avoiding rocks and jump into a volcano.

I mean really now. Come on. "You can die." Really. <_< :P

45. High On Life by speedchuck and makerofthegames
+ Music
- Story
- Difficulty
- Graphics
- Voices

So apparently, Microsoft Sam got seriously injured in a horrible car accident, ends up at a hospital, and then suddenly wakes up and decides to go jump off an airplane and shoot at an invincible helicopter...
Yeah, the story doesn't make any sense, neither does the game. The helicopter is indeed invincible, and not only that, but it constantly shoots Microsoft-Sam-seeking missils at you that will kill you instantly. The graphics are not very good, the robotics voices are annoying, but the music was fitting however. Perhaps the game got better later on, but I couldn't get past the helicopter fight.

It's not invincible, not by a long shot. Perhaps you were playing in a hard difficulty. In "Living" the hardest difficulty it has a lot of health. If not, I'll direct you to my previous post in which I address people who didn't get to read the topic because they used the .zip file of all the games. ^_^
http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=3803448

#1033 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1146 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:23 AM

I did see it was your second game, and I did think it was a little unfair on you, but I decided that I should rate all the games the same, no matter how experienced the game maker. I didn't always read the topic carefully, because I reasoned that anyone can make up a backstory and post it, but unless you actually see it in the gameplay, it's not really there. It was a good game for your second, and I was comparing it to other people who've made plenty of games, so don't feel bad about my score - it's not that bad really...

Thanks for the apology DM.
But... Did you even notice the cutscene in my game??? And the fact that every level has something to do with the story? The only reason I wrote it out in my topic as well was so you could read it if you were trying to decide whether you wanted to try my game. I dunno, it just felt more like you criticized my inexperience with GM more than the game itself, even though you said you wouldn't do that.
If it really wasn't that bad, I think I'd have gotten a better score... There's only so much you can do with the lite version, I guess. Well, I'm at least glad you didn't think it sucked. :)

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 08 August 2011 - 05:35 AM.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#1034 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

26. Enliven by IceMetalPunk
+ Idea
+ Voice acting

- Controls
- Lack of information
- Level design

The idea/story behind it was clever, but I found this way too easy (but maybe that's just me). None of the levels were really that challenging, and the difficulty was rather inconsistent. For instance, the last level took about 2 seconds to complete, thus being much easier than the first level. The items could have been explained a little better (in the game itself, not in a separate file. Plus, what if you don't have Microsoft Office Word?), I had no idea I had to click the generator to make it give power at first. Also, as stated by others, the controls were really annoying, right-clicking should toggle the rotation mode, not space.
The graphics and musics were good, but you didn't make them. The voice acting was really funny and well done :D.

You know, I could swear I mentioned clicking the generator in the F1 game info...but apparently I did not. Whoops. Still, I'd be surprised if there's anyone that uses the Internet that doesn't have either Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.

Anyway, making right-click the rotate button would leave me with no intuitive option for removing pieces. Of course, I could have done what others suggested and made SPACE rotate the piece before placing it; if only I'd thought of that :P . I honestly didn't think using SPACE to toggle between tools was all that unintuitive, but you're not the only person who mentioned that, so...oh, well.

I'd hoped you'd realize that the last level was a complete BS level made due to lack of time. I mean, come on: it spells out END, requires only 1 piece, and gives you 101 pieces to work with :P .

And I take offense at you saying I didn't make the graphics. I made every graphic in the game except for 6. The logo, all the wires, the source, the brain box, the VoltCages--all were made by me. The water is procedurally generated, but I programmed it ;) . Did I make them all? No. But I made the majority of the graphics.

Anyway, I suppose I should be happy you didn't rank Enliven as the worst game :lol: . Thanks for the honest review.

-IMP

Edited by IceMetalPunk, 08 August 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#1035 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

And I take offense at you saying I didn't make the graphics. I made every graphic in the game except for 6. The logo, all the wires, the source, the brain box, the VoltCages--all were made by me. The water is procedurally generated, but I programmed it ;) . Did I make them all? No. But I made the majority of the graphics.

Well, it did say

GRAPHICS
Frankenstein Animation - PicGifs.com
Heart Graphic - Lilfilthy of OfficialPSDs.com (animated by IceMetalPunk)
Flask Graphic - OCAL of Clker.com (modified by IceMetalPunk)
Vampire Graphic - Clipartheaven.com
Bat Graphic - Public-domain-photos.com

AUDIO
SFX - FindSounds.com & RoyaltyFreeMusic.com
Game Music - "Let's Party 05" by MeanBeat of SoundSnap.com
Shop/Menu Music - "Angelic Disko" by Rooks of SoundSnap.com

EVERYTHING ELSE
IceMetalPunk

in the game info, so I assumed you made everything but the graphics and music, with the exception of modifying the graphics a bit. :P

#1036 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

Well, it did say

GRAPHICS

AUDIO
SFX - FindSounds.com & RoyaltyFreeMusic.com
Game Music - "Let's Party 05" by MeanBeat of SoundSnap.com
Shop/Menu Music - "Angelic Disko" by Rooks of SoundSnap.com

EVERYTHING ELSE
IceMetalPunk

in the game info, so I assumed you made everything but the graphics and music, with the exception of modifying the graphics a bit. :P

If you notice, there are only 5 graphics listed there, and many more than 5 graphics in the game. Never assume, or you'll be making...something out of some people. Something like that :lol: .

-IMP

#1037 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

asdfasdfasdfasdf

18 orange08 (Rocket Leaper)          5
46 orange08 (The Statues Live!)      3 1 3 1 4 2 2 2 1                        

Well I checked the votes to make sure, so I guess some people have edited their posts after you tallied up all the votes.
You need to add 422 to The Statues Live.
Rocket Leaper got a 2nd place vote as well as the 5th place vote, but that doesn't really matter too much :\

Edited by orange08, 08 August 2011 - 03:19 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#1038 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8685 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Well, it did say

GRAPHICS
EVERYTHING ELSE
IceMetalPunk

If you notice, there are only 5 graphics listed there, and many more than 5 graphics in the game.

I'm impressed you took time to credit the source. I see lots of public-domain / free-to-use graphics on the GMC... but not everyone acknowledges it. So kudos.

#1039 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Spoiler

I'm impressed you took time to credit the source. I see lots of public-domain / free-to-use graphics on the GMC... but not everyone acknowledges it. So kudos.

I always credit all sources and people that help with my projects. It seems to me like it's only fair. When I make something for others to use, I usually give it to them to use however they want, but I'd appreciate at least a line of credit for it. I'd think everyone feels the same way.

-IMP

#1040 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1595 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

Wow. It's taking so much longer than I expected to play and review all the games! $8^ | Figured I'd do it all this weekend, but not even a third of the way done yet, ugh... (Of course, I hadn't previously done the math that if I only spent one hour on each game, it'd take me two and a half days straight, skipping sleep, food, duties, etc.! Ack!)

Lots of interesting entries. $:^ ]

Regards,
theUndiscovered ~ Brandon W. Horton ~ ParodyKnaveBob ~ $:^ J

#1041 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

I got bored:
/*
Rank 	Name					Votes					Score
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - top 3 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1	Doodledoo				1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,5	10.60
2	Don't Die				1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,5			8.20
3	Die					1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,6		7.67
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - top 10 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
4	Colour My World				1,1,1,1,1,1,3,3,3,3,7			7.48
5	The Statues Live!			1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,4,4,4			6.42
6	Cantilever Bridge			1,1,1,2,2,5,5,5				4.60
7	Sakanjo					1,1,2,2,2,3,4				4.08
8	Underfall				1,2,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,9			3.94
9	Pangaea					1,2,2,2,3,3,3,8				3.63
10	RogueLife				1,2,2,3,3,3,4				2,91
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - others - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
11	Sanctum					1,1,2,6,6				2.83
12	Bound					1,2,4,4,4,7,10				2.49
13	Enliven					2,2,3,3,3,3,8				2.46
14	Geometry				1,3,4,4,4				2.08
15	Mickey Mouse - In search of life	1,1					2.00
	Germs Life				1,2,3,6					2.00
16	Live talk show hero			2,2,4,9					1.36
17	...and then he fell			1,4					1.25
18	Live As Long As Possible		1,9					1.11
19	Rainbow Dash				2,5,6,7					1.01
20	Soulsnatcher				1					1.00
	Lead Iron Fire Explosion		1					1.00
	Nature Comes Alive			1					1.00
21	Die Again				2,4,9					0.86
22 	Everybody Lives				3,3,7					0.81
23	Rocket Leaper				2,5					0.70
24	Live: The Game				2					0.50
	Penguin Survivor			3,6					0.50
	tale of Isamu				3,8					0.50
25	The Meaning of Life and Death		5,7					0.34
26	Congratulations, You're Alive		3					0.33
	Super Novavon				5,8					0.33
27	Bomb Disarmer				7,8					0.27
28	The legend will live on...		4					0.25
29	Livewire				5					0.20
30	Freedom					6					0.17
	I Have Given You Life Now Live		6					0.17
	Suburban Warfare			6					0.17
31	Spud Wars				10					0.10
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - unranked - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
	Tidal Wave				none					0.00
	JAM! LIVE! RANDOM!			none					0.00
	zombie/alien platformer shooter		none					0.00
	Fourth Dimension			none					0.00
	Showtime				none					0.00
	Rogue Live				none					0.00
	Enimies and Allies			none					0.00
	The Underworld				none					0.00
	LiVEWiRE				none					0.00
	THIRTEEN				none					0.00
	Breaking News!				none					0.00
	Alive?					none					0.00
	Traim					none					0.00
	The Ball 2 - Live Current		none					0.00
	Sunless					none					0.00
	High On Life				none					0.00
	Story of a Mother Bird			none					0.00
*/
Last voter by the time of these results: wakeskater_X

A first place vote adds 1 to the game's score. A second place vote adds 0.5, a third place adds 0.333 and so forth.

NOTE: These are not the official results, and there are still a few days left of voting. I didn't use the "SSE method" however, I just sorted them in most votes to least votes. Considering that, the final results may differ from this one.

Edited by Davve, 12 August 2011 - 04:54 PM.

#1042 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

14th out of 50-odd sounds good to me :D .

-IMP

#1043 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

-IMP

Good news: After I added a scoring system, I found out that I had placed you a bit too far down. Your game is now the 13th. :D

That means bad luck, doesn't it? :S

Edited by Davve, 10 August 2011 - 12:17 AM.

#1044 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:48 AM

-IMP

Good news: After I added a scoring system, I found out that I had placed you a bit too far down. Your game is now the 13th. :D

That means bad luck, doesn't it? :S

Nah, it's good luck :D . After all, it's closer to #1, isn't it? ;)

-IMP

#1045 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8685 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

Your game is now the 13th. :D

After all, it's closer to #1, isn't it? ;)

One of my kids wanted to go to the Moon, so he climbed a tree in the backyard. "After all, it's closer", he said. ;)

Just kidding... glad to see your game's moving up. It's deserving.

#1046 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3328 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

I'd really like to thank people for voting for doodledoo!
However, I believe ranking the games after the ammount of votes can be quite misleading - with the SSE system, not only the number of votes go into the equation. For a second or third place vote to count at all, it's vital to know what game is above the game in question. As it appears now, I believe Don't Die has bigger chances for winning than me.

By the way, good job counting - however, you counted one first vote for me too many ^^

Edited by TheSnidr, 10 August 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#1047 fenyxofshadows

fenyxofshadows

coobie

• GMC Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

I updated my game :). I fixed bugs, made it easier to see, balanced out the difficulty a bit, and made most things higher quality. I also added 3 separate versions: HQ, MQ, and LQ; the difference being the filesize,, screen size, system requirements, and quality of the music.

For judging purposes, I included a link to the original version. Please use that, not the updated version, if you are judging.

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=515111

Edited by fenyxofshadows, 10 August 2011 - 04:20 PM.

Make a contract with me and become a magical girl!

/人 ‿‿ 人\

#1048 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

Your game is now the 13th. :D

After all, it's closer to #1, isn't it? ;)

One of my kids wanted to go to the Moon, so he climbed a tree in the backyard. "After all, it's closer", he said. ;)

Exactly. Why do you think I climbed Mt. Everest? ;)

Just kidding... glad to see your game's moving up. It's deserving.

-IMP

*EDIT*

My votes go to

• Enliven - Ice Metal Punk
    wow loved this game i have one note: 12 levels only ? need more it's really fun ;)

Heh, thanks, I guess. While I appreciate the enthusiasm, I do hope you played more than just Enliven before voting. This should be a fair fight :P .

Edited by IceMetalPunk, 11 August 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#1049 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

[...] but apart from that it was just too incomplete. Or maybe that was the point. But there should've been some ending to wrap it up. Understandable that it probably wasn't finished though.

No, you're right, it was just incomplete. I may one day get around to overhauling the game and giving it a proper conclusion/purpose, but since I'm working 9-hour shifts virtually every day it won't be for a while! Thank you for playing, and taking the time to review the game. :)

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

Insightful links:

#1050 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

26 hours till the winners are announced. Not like I'll be one of them anyway. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users