#1 swanno

swanno

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hi all,

I have just finnished my first game (its barely finnished, but ill get to that). I would like to give you all the chance to review and comment on this game

The game itself is suffering from a handfull of major faults and bugs which need to be cleared up. Once I have gathered enough feedback I am planning on updating and re-releasing the game.

Issues
- The Theme is all wrong. sprites seem too modern and colourfull for this type of game
- The Game feels half finnished in some places, and lacks an all-round professional feel
- The Layout is poorly thought out. Some rooms are over crowded, while others remain virtually empty
- Can be confusing for new players

and perhaps the biggest issue (that is most serious) is that the game just isn't fun. please be honest if you think the game is fun as I dont want to invest alot of my time into somthing which is never gonna work (personally I nearly fall asleep evertime I play it, but I have BETA tested it all the way, for hours)

I realise, before you all say it, that most of these issues are easily fixable. I agree. I would just like to know in what direction I should take the game before I decide to spend along time fixing these issues

Game Link:
http://sandbox.yoyog...ribbean-fishing

I hope to see some detailed reviews/comments soon
Thanks

P.S. Sorry to any moderators in advance if this is in the wrong place. I search for ages but wasn't sure

#2 swanno

swanno

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

60 views/no comments?

honestly, GM community you should be ashamed of yourselves

#3 nxs

nxs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

(personally I nearly fall asleep evertime I play it)

That's a big turnoff.

And why make a game that you yourself don't enjoy playing?

#4 nxs

nxs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Going to options from the main menu and then hitting "back" takes you inside the game

And I can't even figure out how to play the game. Make instructions.

Edited by nxs, 10 July 2011 - 09:28 PM.

#5 swanno

swanno

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

Going to options from the main menu and then hitting "back" takes you inside the game

And I can't even figure out how to play the game. Make instructions.

try hitting f1

#6 Jster391

Jster391

Artist 4 Life

• GMC Member
  • 630 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Some things i noticed->
  • Hitting Back in the Options Menu makes you start the game.
  • The buttons fade out when you mouse-over and come back when you click on them everywhere EXCEPT for the Options Menu. Needs to be consistent style.
  • Either change the sound when you click or make it so you only hear a sound when you click a button.
  • Needs the option of starting over again.
  • Needs to have a button leading to the Instructions or telling to press F1 to get the Instructions.
  • The button style isn't suited for this game.
  • You spelled stuff wrong in the instructions and you made mistakes
  • PLEASE use correct grammar, spelling, and puncuation.
  • A scoreboard or a little tally that tells you your current money would be nice
  • When you press Music On in the options menu it automatically starts the track again.
  • A variety of music would be nice then the repatative music.
  • Style is not consistent

#7 swanno

swanno

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

Some things i noticed->

• Hitting Back in the Options Menu makes you start the game.
  • The buttons fade out when you mouse-over and come back when you click on them everywhere EXCEPT for the Options Menu. Needs to be consistent style.
  • Either change the sound when you click or make it so you only hear a sound when you click a button.
  • Needs the option of starting over again.
  • Needs to have a button leading to the Instructions or telling to press F1 to get the Instructions.
  • The button style isn't suited for this game.
  • You spelled stuff wrong in the instructions and you made mistakes
  • PLEASE use correct grammar, spelling, and puncuation.
  • A scoreboard or a little tally that tells you your current money would be nice
  • When you press Music On in the options menu it automatically starts the track again.
  • A variety of music would be nice then the repatative music.
  • Style is not consistent

-Yes hitting back does make you start the game (as somone else has already mentioned)
-The buttons are meant to fade out
-I agree it should say "press f1 for help", or alternatively a button that open the help screen
-Maybe could do with starting a new game
-button style is fine (but the overall theme should be changed)
-Unfortuneately by the end I was in a rush and may or spelled things wrong
-Your money is displayed just left of your equipment, just above the day
-Yes there should be more music, however I saw 1 track acceptable as the game is a BETA, but definately should be more music in the game
-Style and theme are terribly wrong and inconsistent

Thanks for the feedback, it's a great help

#8 Jster391

Jster391

Artist 4 Life

• GMC Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

No problem.

#9 DoubleD33D

DoubleD33D

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:59 AM

I enjoy this game myself. I like games that do calculation without real time graphics, brings in the ideas a strategy. However, this issues with this game right now is what's making it hard to play or find fun. For when you decide to, if you decide to, fix this game up, you should go for a dash board setup rather then how it is. Then you could make the shop and such all be in the same room. Also when it tells you what the weather was like, it should say that right on the report for how many you hauled in.

#10 swanno

swanno

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

Thankyou to the few who have helped by commenting and reviewing

I have now realized that Making Caribbean Fishing 1 was an optomistic task for somone of my level on Game maker. However since then I have started design into much larger games and now feel ready to start on caribbean Fishing once again

I realized that the theme in CF was rather clumsy and inconsistent, and have consequently tryed to improve it. This is proving harder than i thought it would be

but you could help me by identifying which button you like more

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Jster391

Jster391

Artist 4 Life

• GMC Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

I like the second button, the red one. Mainly because the first one is not very well done. Unless, that is of course, the style.

#12 swanno

swanno

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:12 AM

I like the second button, the red one. Mainly because the first one is not very well done. Unless, that is of course, the style.

indeed, the style was meant to be rugged and untidy

#13 DoubleD33D

DoubleD33D

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:17 AM

indeed, the style was meant to be rugged and untidy

I prefer the red one aswel. But may I suggest not so big. Maybe about 24px shorter.

#14 swanno

swanno

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

thanks for the help, but im not sure what you mean? the game is fullscreen, so the buttons should be fairly big (in my opinion). Do you mean the button should be a different shape?

#15 Jster391

Jster391

Artist 4 Life

• GMC Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

If it's going to be fullscreen stay with the size I think. You may want to resize it by around 20 pixels or so if you have a lot of buttons though.

#16 swanno

swanno

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

If it's going to be fullscreen stay with the size I think. You may want to resize it by around 20 pixels or so if you have a lot of buttons though.

again, thanks for the continued feedback. The screen size is 900x600 (fairly large, but not fullsize). And there are not many buttons onscreen at any one time. I did try a resize them, but the text got disstorted, so ill leave them as they are, atleast for now

#17 DoubleD33D

DoubleD33D

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

again, thanks for the continued feedback. The screen size is 900x600 (fairly large, but not fullsize). And there are not many buttons onscreen at any one time. I did try a resize them, but the text got disstorted, so ill leave them as they are, atleast for now

If it even comes to the point where you do need to resize them, I suggest using the free paint.net(use google). It's one of the best free image editing programs around and I find it has just as much power as photoshop if not more(I hate photoshop btw:P, just saying)

#18 Jster391

Jster391

Artist 4 Life

• GMC Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:50 AM

If it even comes to the point where you do need to resize them, I suggest using the free paint.net(use google). It's one of the best free image editing programs around and I find it has just as much power as photoshop if not more(I hate photoshop btw:P, just saying)

Gimp people anywhere? going once? twice?
There is also Sumo Paint .

Edited by Jster391, 06 December 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#19 swanno

swanno

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

I use Gimp alot, I actually used it for the two buttons above

#20 Jster391

Jster391

Artist 4 Life

• GMC Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

Cool. I use Gimp most of the time too. Even though i have Photoshop, i started off with gimp so i have never really tried Photoshop.

Edited by Jster391, 07 December 2011 - 11:10 PM.

#21 swanno

swanno

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

Posted Image

Just now stringing together a few new ideas for Caribbean Fishing 2 (although I may call it CB1, as the original wasn't played by many)

Yes?, No?. This is a basic idea for the main menu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users