GameMaker or Game Maker

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Frenchies

Frenchies

GMC Member

• 105 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:54 AM

Someone may have already commented on this, but here I go anyway.

YoYo Games has repeatedly referred to GM as both "GameMaker" and "Game Maker". On this page they use both. I'm pretty sure that before GM7 it was always called "Game Maker". This very place is called "Game Maker Community". Which is it officially called? It makes no sense and it is only confusing to consumers. Somebody please enlighten me.

Edited by Frenchies, 06 July 2011 - 03:00 AM.

bogus

#2 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:57 AM

I always recall official sources calling "Game Maker" before YYG came around. Now, I'm not so sure, but I assume it's still the version with the space in it. Good question though.

-PF

#3 Dr. Watz0n

Dr. Watz0n

The Best Doctor

• 351 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:59 AM

YoYo Games's (paraphrased) reasoning: A "Game Maker" is someone who makes games, while "GameMaker" is a tool to create them.
My reasoning: "GameMaker" is stupid; it's incorrect grammar, looks unprofessional, and YoYo Games' reason for spelling it this way doesn't do anything. Why? Because it's the same two words, except now, there is no space in between. I really hope they change their mind about this. It's just so ridiculous.

EDIT: To be clear, YoYo is transitioning to the "GameMaker" branding.

Edited by Dr. Watz0n, 06 July 2011 - 02:59 AM.

#4 Frenchies

Frenchies

GMC Member

• 105 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:03 AM

There really shouldn't be any transition. It's stupid, unnecessary, and causes confusion when they refer to it both ways.
bogus

#5 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:05 AM

I don't see the point of referring to users of the program as "Game Makers"; it seems a little juvenile to me. I'm content with the term "developer", frankly.

-PF

#6 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:14 AM

I don't see the big deal. I think one of the main reasons for the change is because searching for Game Maker gives more general results than searching for GameMaker. It's better marketing from the customer discovery angle. And, really, does a space make all that much difference as to even warrant a discussion about it?

-IMP ;) :)

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#7 Frenchies

Frenchies

GMC Member

• 105 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:19 AM

Uh, if "Game Maker" yields more search results then why are they changing it to "GameMaker"?

EDIT: Wait, I'm stupid. Misinterpreted the word "general" there.

Edited by Frenchies, 06 July 2011 - 03:21 AM.

bogus

#8 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:51 AM

Uh, if "Game Maker" yields more search results then why are they changing it to "GameMaker"?

EDIT: Wait, I'm stupid. Misinterpreted the word "general" there.

Haha, yeah. When marketing a product, you want users to find your specific product when searching.

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#9 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

To be fair, this isn't a new thing.

On the old website, it was called gamemaker, Gamemaker, Game Maker, and GameMaker many times.

#10 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:07 AM

Putting in "Game Maker" in Google will obviously still have YYG as the first result, and will still have "GameMaker" bolded in the search results (which is what Google always does to matching words).

Whether the name is "Game Maker" or "GameMaker" will not significantly change the popularity GM will gain.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tuts/Examples: Ultimate Weapon Arsenal(AI included) | Wall-Jumping | Plasma Pistol/Rifle Overheating System | Cash Register Example | Two Objects In One View
PM me if one or more of my posted examples have a broken link.

#11 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

Perhaps Google, yes, but there are other search engines. For example, searching "game maker" on Excite has YYG at the 4th result, dogpile.com has it as the 3rd, it's 4th at WebCrawler, sixth at MetaCrawler, etc. The reason for all of these drops is because other sites involving "game" and "maker" (some about university courses in game design) show up first. If removing a single space would bring GM to the top of all these engines' pages, then it's a good marketing move, and there's no reason to be against it. It's just a space, after all.

#12 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

So what? Who cares? How does this really effect you?

As for the original question, they are changing it from "Game Maker" to "GameMaker" and apparently are still getting used to it.

And it in no way causes confusion. If I see both versions in the page, the only thing that pops up in my head is "oh, a typo." (Which I assume they will fix eventually) Not, "Oh my gosh! Are there two products? Is this the wrong company? There was... a space, and now not just a few sentences later? My... brain... can't handle this!"

If Yoyo wants to change it, it is their business. They have their reasons, whether good or bad, and honestly it effects us in no way whatsoever. The only people that it effects are those who want to find Yoyo in the first place, and that, again, is Yoyo's business.

Man...

Ok, rant finished. The drama that goes behind these trivial issues gets tiresome and I don't even know why I bother.

Edited by Scyler_27, 06 July 2011 - 06:31 AM.

NEWS FLASH! You can't get to heaven by your works. No chance. Hopeless. Give up now. No amount of works will get you anywhere, in fact all your efforts have been botched years ago because you already missed perfection the first time you lied, stole, or performed any of those other lovelies.

That said, do you want to go to heaven? Not the hellish picture given by cartoons. You know, the nightmarish one where you are renting a cloud and harp? I mean, holy crap, where did that come from? I am talking about a bonafide city, people, designed by God no less. Heck, read John's Revelation 21 if you want details. Getting to heaven is extremely simple, actually, the how and why is spelled out in Paul's letter to the Romans, summarized in Romans 10:9,10. God lived a perfect life and died in your place, covering every one of your mistakes and failures past and future. All you have to do is believe that He did what he said He did and accept the gift. Bam, you're saved. Done deal. Complicated, no? Questions? PM me.

#13 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

It's GameMaker. They changed it with version 8.1 but occiasionally there are lapses where the old form is used. But really, was a whole topic about this necessary? Some people have too much time on their hands... topic closed!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png