187 replies to this topic

#151 TarasT.

TarasT.

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 73 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

About a few years ago when I was struggling with XNA and C# I was starting out then Microsoft decided to pull the plug on XNA, so I started learning python and jumped into Pygame, it didn't impress me :( And it was really accidental I was watching youtube videos on game development and game maker studio came out, I was so impressed with all the features and also the ability to use GUI to perform certain tasks I bought the damn thing right away master edition, I love it now and it seems to grow and improve also with great community here.

#152 mzn528

mzn528

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:34 AM

I always wanted to make games but didn't know where to start.. then started learning SWIFT and one day found out about the existence of DND softwares and then game maker

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist
Dxbmt7Y.gif
HhzgS0O.gif

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Dragon's Crown

DevLog here
Add me on Twitter! @mzn528

#153 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

As much as, I know, there're only a few DnD development engines, I just took a look at more than 20 game engines, based on DnD... They aren't anything, except some sort of level editor with game making facilities, they are nothing other than this. But, I can rely on GM's DnD as, my laziness makes me use them often. I never decide, what to make, I just put DnD icons and some codes into a skeleton, it does the deed for me. I'm never sure, what the game is, with strange alarm calls, bumping as people do in Q&A forums. :ninja:

#154 Ace Davenport

Ace Davenport

GMC Member

• 5 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

I found GM years ago as a teen, and used DnD for the first few years. I finally moved into GML as I became more familiar with scripting and syntax. 

#155 daviddorn

daviddorn

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

I took a class in college for beginner game design. The teacher used Game Maker 7 or 8 for the majority of the class. Up until that point, I didn't think I could make a game by myself, as I'm mostly a graphic designer, not a programmer. After that I was hooked and now I've made over 12 complete games. 

#156 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

I took a class in college for beginner game design. The teacher used Game Maker 7 or 8 for the majority of the class. Up until that point, I didn't think I could make a game by myself, as I'm mostly a graphic designer, not a programmer. After that I was hooked and now I've made over 12 complete games.02

You shouldn't bother much about this. If you look at the top GM programmers, they aren't good at graphic design, anyways, a few are exceptional cases. And same way, there're many graphic designers, who aren't interested in programming and barely know it. You should be happy, that you can do it. 12 gamez isn't a small thing to achieve, no? :)
*happy happy happy*

#157 Repix

Repix

Goodbye!

• GMC:Member
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

I remember something about writing in cheating on youtube, and there was this "How to make cheat codes in game maker" so naturally i wanted to make a game.

Take the pistol, aim the front towards yourself, pull the trigger, why? because it's not a prank gun no longer.

#158 tsa05

tsa05

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1063 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

Heh, I found GM the hard way: I tried all of 'em!

*wavy Tv transition*

The year was 2003...  There was no Unity. There was no Construct. There was no RenPy.

I'd been programming since the first grade. First, in TI Basic on the family TI-99 console, hooked up to a transistor tube television (Hey, in the 80s, that was a home computer!). Then, in Intel Basic on the 386, with a blazing 40 megahertz processor (in Turbo mode). Moved on to one of those kid's learning computer things, which had its own version of Basic...And then, moved TI's fancy-pants graphing basic on a TI-85 calculator in 8th grade. Switched to Pascal in High school, 'cuz that's what the programming teacher knew, and then on to C++ 'cuz that's what the other programming teacher knew, and then Java 'cuz that's what the other other programming teacher knew.

And then I went to college :(  Scheme, Lisp, Python, Jython (Srsly, didn't need that), More Java, Visual Basic, Flash. Little bit of PHP. (And I wasn't even a CS major! ><)

So there I was, after frustrating my way through a Java class with poorly documented custom libraries, when I started searching the Yahoos (Google existed, but was rather new and not quite world-conquering until 2004). I was actually looking for XnA resources--crazy, right? XnA hadn't been released yet, but M$ was teasing that the following year would see an announcement and release of a solution for game development. And so, I was searching for game...making. Game maker? And came across this nifty little website made by a prof in the Netherlands.

I used Game Maker's free version for 20 minutes, then started sending money. It was immediately apparent that this thing rocked. In a world where 110% of all computers were Windows PCs, this GameMaker thing allowed me to assemble a rudimentary clicking puzzle game in minutes. Minutes!!! Usually, it took minutes just to get everything to line up correctly in java's box layout--never mind making a functional game. And GameMaker's language was fully documented, followed a logical and consistent naming schema, and short-cutt'ed low-level minutia (building drawing stacks, string handling, memory management) while leaving game mechanics programming open and easy.

So, it was immediately obvious that Game Maker was a better way to teach, learn, and ultimately make a 2D game.

(There's always some fun to be had in the challenges of making low-level stuff work modularly and elegantly--but it also hampers the process of just getting a functional game made with a small group of friends).

As the world changed, I became, for a short time, an illogical dinosaur.

I like my GameMaker, and I stuck with it. And since I'm not a coding professional, it was fine. But around me, people who needed to do "real" programming moved on to "real" tools like Visual Basic, C#, XnA, Java, and of course, Flash--the truly cross-platform solution to the world's web app and light gaming needs. ::lmao:: The university I've come to work at even switched, to my dismay, from teaching intro to programming in GM6 to using Flash, with the reasoning that "students invest time learning the tool, and they should be able to go out into the real world and use it."  (Not hating on Flash, but giggling at how short-sighted that decision was)

Of course, seven years ago, their logic was technically correct. GM6 ran on Windows only, and made games for Windows only. It was slow and inefficient performance-wise and lacked the "buzzword" innovations (surfaces, shaders) that shiny new games were being hosed with. But here we are, and everyone here at the university who is insisting on sticking with their old standbys (Flash and Unity, mostly) are starting to fall behind the indie curve  :whistle:

So somehow, being even more stubbornerer has...paid off!!!  :wub:

#159 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

I'd been programming since the first grade.
That sounds quite unbelievable, but If you've been, it's good. :P
ic, C#, X
That is the reason that I love to program, with GM or whatever. I, first thought C# n Java to be game companies, and I was wondering, knowing, they are programming languages. I love the WriteLine and ReadKey functions. :wub:

#160 tsa05

tsa05

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1063 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:11 AM

That sounds quite unbelievable, but If you've been, it's good. :P

XD Not programming all by myself at that age, though--I could read and write by then, so my Dad began to teach me how to program in Basic, and he used to type for me until I got better. My first game was a really, really odd sort of text-based choose-your-own-adventure. I pretty much made up the plot as we wrote it, so it was very silly!

#161 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

That is good that you had a programming environment, around in your childhood. That's pretty good.
My first game was a really, really odd sort of text-based choose-your-own-adventure.
I used to play them when I was a kid, and they were game type that I used to download the most, because of their small size, oh yeah. :P

#162 Nafees

Nafees

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 213 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

Back in the days when I was 8 and a half, I had been playing a game for 2 weeks and was bored of it, as I played it, I kept thinking that how were games made. I thought that binary was the answer :lol:  and I would google it the next day. The next day, I forgot it, and at night during sleep, again remembered it, this went on for a week after which I finally googled it. I found Construct 2 and Game Maker 8.0 and a few more. First I tried Construct 2, I couldn't even stand the UI for a second, after about 10 minutes, un-installed it. Then downloaded Game Maker 8.0. It looked great and easy, but the video tutorial I was using over-confused me, and I thought that what I as trying to do was really difficult, so I un-installed it too. After a month, or maybe 2, I again downloaded it and never un-installed it, I still have it ::lmao:: , GM8.0.

#163 Greg Squire

Greg Squire

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:05 PM

I'm a long time professional web applications developer, but I had been dabbling with game side projects for years. (Still am) I wrote mini-games in BASIC as a kid, and did some in C and C++ later. In 2004 I started using Blitz3D, and later Torque2D, and then BlitzMax for some small game projects. Somewhere in there I became aware of GameMaker (maybe 2005 or 2006) from some other game developers that chatted with on forums. I looked into the engine at that point and dismissed it out right as a hobbyist engine and not having the performance needed to build a decent game with (which was probably true then). It wasn't until around 2011, after the YoYoGames buyout, that I decided to give it another look. Once I did, I was surprised at how far it come along in those years, and how much closer it was to my "dream game engine". GameMaker had turned into a very capable and multi-platform engine. So I decided to build a small game jam game with it then and now I have been using it ever since.

For the record, no engine has arrived at my "dream game engine" yet, as that's a pretty tall order to fill, but GameMaker comes the closest.

Edited by Greg Squire, 20 February 2015 - 07:07 PM.

#164 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:11 PM

I'm a good for nothing, derelict, compulsive, addicted gambler and I heard Playtech bought GameMaker, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

How do you win?

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#165 Lawsome

Lawsome

Not Lukasmah

• GMC Member
  • 271 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:27 PM

I'm a good for nothing, derelict, compulsive, addicted gambler and I heard Playtech bought GameMaker, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

How do you win?

make a game with 9000 pokemans from scratch in a week I believe.
ahahahha theyll never catch mee

#166 BarrowBloke

BarrowBloke

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

I used to make some games back in the early 90s on my Atari ST using GFA Basic and Devpac2 for some assembly language.

The only one that was ever released was 'Guerroyer' and I found it again a few years ago on Serenade disk 76 which plays quite well on ST emulators like Steem. But I digress...

For the last 20 or so years I've done almost nothing involving computer games other than playing them when I saw this article which mentions GM8

http://www.gamedev.n...ame-on-pc-r2880

So, I tried the free version and was very impressed at what it could do. The idea that I could create a game for my PC and my Android phone was quite intriguing! And I can release on the OUYA and the Amazon Fire Tv too? Great! It's the closest I'll ever get to a proper console release.

It's been over 20 years (I'm now 39) but GM rekindled my interest in game programming.

#167 Eisot

Eisot

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

I started out with a Radioshack TRS-80 in early 1980's a tape recorder and 16k ram. :)  First game I played was Star Trek. Loved it. Made some fumbling tries dissecting the programming to understand it and from there I made some simple administrative programs. 

After that I have made administrative programs (for handling boring paper work) and games with the early Mac SE and HyperCard, SuperCard, MetaCard. First "real game" released in 2000 made with MetaCard for Win and Mac. From there Multimedia Fusion, then testing Unity, Unreal Engine 4, Construct and now Game Maker studio which so far is doing what I want for my 2D-ish project. :)  Will most likely return to 3D environment after this. But we'll see.

#168 rivo7014

rivo7014

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:04 AM

I had always wanted to make a game. I bought a magazine one day that was ironically the only magazine a have ever bought and was about indie games. In that magazine was a list a famous game design programs and next to it a list of successful games that was made with them. I chose gamemaker because it was of the only programs that didn't take money off you if you sold your game ;) and because it looked easy... oh boy was I wrong...

#169 ZeplashStudios

ZeplashStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

I came accross Gamemaker 6.1 back in 2005/6 from a gaming magazine called NAG and created a tron style game from there on u just played around with d&d since the tron tutorial had pre written lines of code that i just copied and pasted. I then found the community a long while afterwards and just read a whole lot on the topics never being a member. This is how i got introduced to the idea of gml. I then used the help file which is the most helpful thing ever even to this day. And thats where i started using gamemaker fully

#170 NEEDhelpNoobert

NEEDhelpNoobert

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:00 AM

I think I was curious and find it when I was 15 and now I'm back I try Game salad but couldn't cause price and the Stencil and that Suks -.- never try so now I'm looking for a group just people to keep me sticking 2 Game Maker.

#171 ericbomb988878

ericbomb988878

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:12 AM

I think I googled "make games easy" back when I was in the 5th grade... and well, about ten years later, I never found an engine I liked again. Maybe I found the best one right off the bat... more likely though is this is the one that I learned how to dev with.

When I was young I wanted there to be a game like Pokemon but had combat like Super smash brothers.... Never found one. So now I'm making my own http://gmc.yoyogames...86#entry4910159

#172 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:10 PM

:) This is my 3000th, and last, post on this GameMaker Community, before the big upgrade.

I asked my equally unaware friend, "How do people make games?". It seemed like magic to me at the time. How did almost everyone other than me manage to create something so spectacular... I was 14 when I asked that question, and I would never have guessed that this simple question would come to define my future. My friend said, "My cousin has made a game. He used a program called GameMaker or something," so we googled it. We downloaded it. I was hooked - in that moment, the very first time I launched that "game" - containing nothing other than a fixed doodle - I knew what I wanted to pursue. Wow. GameMaker unlocked a world of unlimited creativity and possibilities for me. I had no idea how to code, and it didn't even matter. I could make games... My very own games.

Sure, it took a few years before they were actually any decent - but I didn't care. It was never about the result for me, it was about the process. "Wow, that would be cool," and next thing you know it's happening on the screen. Just awe-inspiring... Learning to code in GameMaker Language wasn't always easy, it was very much a gradual process for me, and something I did at my own pace. I didn't feel like I "had to" learn it. It started when I learned I could use keywords in the drag & drop actions, like mouse_x and mouse_y. Wow! That blew me away.

The GameMaker Community helped me a lot in this process. I learned about arrays because someone on this community provided a code example to my question. Wow again! "Arrays are amazing," I thought. It wasn't enough, though. GameMaker had given me a taste of the awesome creative capacity of computers, and I wanted more variety. I said to myself, "Okay, that's how people make games. How do they make programs?". That took me on a detour away from GameMaker, a path that eventually culminated in the creation of a little thing called Parakeet. I made a lot of mistakes with the first version of Parakeet, and I'm glad I did. At this point I considered myself quite knowledgeable in the use of GameMaker, and so I spent a lot of time giving back in the Q&A section. It was also with the release of Studio I decided it was time to make use of my expertise professionally.

On the community, I was eventually lucky enough to be asked to spend a lot of my time doing tedious and boring tasks - which is what we call "being a moderator". Massive! I was very proud of that opportunity. It gave me the chance to give even more back to the community that helped me pursue my interest. Just as I used to look up to other users (I specifically recall hoping FoxInABox and Tepi would read my topics in Q&A - they just seemed to know it all), there were now users who looked up to me in that way. I was very humbled and honored by that. Very. I still am to this day.

I've continued my drive to 'give back' to this day, and today I'm close to releasing Parakeet 2 with my small but very talented and dedicated team of programmers - we're having a lot of fun making it. That same drive also took me to Dundee, Scotland in mid 2015 and now that my lunch break is over, I should get back to working on GameMaker. Best of luck to all of you out there, whether you are beginners or experienced users - and thank you for everything you've done for me.

Half a year ago, I asked myself a new question: "Okay, so that's how people make programs. How do they make electronics?"

My posts are my own views and opinions... Unless they are yours too, in which case I think you're a very intelligent and handsome individual (I think you are anyway!)

#173 FROGANUS

FROGANUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

Well I went checking for new Spelunky runs on YouTube, then went reading Designer Derek Yu's blog, then was prompted to search GM, then stumbled across Shaun Spalding's tutorials on YouTube, which really sold me. A 20 minute overview to get acclimated with basic rooms objects etc, 30 minutes (give or take) for a basic platformer? I figured no excuse to not give it a try. This is just like 3 months ago and already at this point I've already accomplished a few levels and overcome some humps in developing a smooth engine (thanks to lurking around on here, reading guides.

Coding is clicking for me more than ever. In my past I've dabbled with programming (KARL the robot, C++, some Visual Basic, some flash scripty stuff, *Quake/Halflife mapping*, but sticking mainly to front-end stuff (levels and textures).
So, I'm just checking out all the bustle on this forum, lots of interesting projects, getting inspiration and information to get over humps on my own stuff and getting good ideas of how to develop an alpha and hopefully get some feedback soon! :D

-FROGANUS

#174 ImperialCoder79

ImperialCoder79

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:46 AM

I came across GM a few weeks ago when my son told me he wanted to make a game like minecraft and I set out to find any way to make this happen. I found GM and found it fairly simple to code with an had a lively community, so I decided to give it a run. It's working great so far, strange syntax but its fairly forgiving. Glad to hear from you and hope to be a solid member of the community soon.

#175 ShineBolt

ShineBolt

GMC Member

• 15 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

When asked, "what do you want to be when you grow up" I had always answered "a video game maker" since I can remember.  One day my brother got an early version of Game Maker, and he learned a bit of the D&D.  Perhaps it was because I was so young < 10, but he never taught me how to use it, instead I just told him what I wanted, and together we started to make a game.  Unfortunately I was never ambitious enough, I should have really tried to learn it, but instead it just faded out of site out of mind, and when my brother lost interest I didn't do anything.

In my Junior year of H.S., GM got a second chance, and for one semester I learned how to make Catch the Clown, the demon dragon game, Lazarus, one level of a plat-former, and my own game (still unfinished)...  All with D&D however.  But since then I've never lost interest; however, being able to put in the time is another story.  Better yet I'm in my second year of college and know how to make snake in C++.  However, with out a teacher, I still haven't been able to really become an expert in gml, well I guess I need two things, time and a teacher.

I had never really been in a hurry to grow up; however, looking back at how for so long I didn't put in the initiative to learn GM, I suppose I always had a bit of the "when I'm grown up" mentality, that I can't do anything more now, so I'll just go with the flow until later.  However, I don't think I got rid of that mentality just by reaching 17 (if I ever did lose it).  Indeed I think some people have waited for the time when nothing stands in their way, well into adult hood.

#176 Theoriginalunderdog

Theoriginalunderdog

Just burn it

• GMC Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

Something like 13 or 14 years ago I was kind of curious what went into game making and just wanted to see if programming would be something Id be interested in. I think it must have been one of the first results I got when searching it. I ended up working in a different field of programming, but a little while ago I decided to get back into it as a hobby. I havent been back on here in a long time though. It's crazy to see how much the community has grown.

Edited by Theoriginalunderdog, 15 February 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#177 dinhlong1107

dinhlong1107

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:37 AM

Please practice on simple software before . Gamemaker: Studio : 

very dedicated to your beginnings
gamemaker needed passion and relentless stop, wish you luck

#178 Lexutor

Lexutor

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

One day I just randomly thought in create my own game, and so I just went to Google and typed "game maker" (Yeah, that simple), and just found it.

Hey you! Yes you, open the spoiler

Spoiler

#179 Jucarave

Jucarave

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:54 PM

Back in 2006 I was working in an game made in RPGMaker and someone asked me if I was doing it with Game Maker, at the beginning I though he was talking about rpgmaker but then I decided to google Game Maker and voila!

#180 jo-thijs

jo-thijs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3769 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:14 PM

When I was 12 (somewhere around 2009 - 2010) I started messing around with what I could do with power points.

I decided to make a game in ppt, which consisted of several minigames, like quizes, clicking objects, avoiding objects with the cursor, mazes, ...

Nothing too spectacular, but it impressed my brother.

Since I've always liked thinking about how I would design games, he suggested I should try something called a "programming language" to create better games.

None of us 2 knew a thing about programming at the time, so we started researching.

We came across just basic first, I managed to do some stuff there, but it was not my thing, so we searched further.

I'm not sure any more about what exactly happened then, but we stumbled upon GameMaker.

I tried it out and loved it right away.

I stuck with it ever since.

#181 2014gm

2014gm

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

I used the write games for the Sinclair ZX81, then ZX Sprectrum when I was a youngster still at school. I'd been thinking for awhile I would like to get back into making some games for these new fangled smartphones/tablets. I'd had quite a few ideas for games, but nothing that would help me put them into practice.

I got a book of amazon about writing apps for android....but I must have spent a month with some kind of development framework, and I could not even get the "Hello World!" to appear on the phone.

Many years past.....Then one day, in WHSMith (I always have a browse of the computer/games section) I stumbled across "The Ultimate guide to Indie Games" Magazine by PCGamer.

https://pbs.twimg.co...OU8WUAAe6aG.jpg

It mentioned a few tools, and GameMaker looked like the tool to use to me. That very weekend I'd downloaded the demo and was away.

I love it.

Ant

#182 amusudan

amusudan

Steel be with you!

• GMC Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

Through Lindion45's Ducktards! It inspired me to give making games another go (I previously tried using Unity but quit quite quickely!)!

Main project: All I See Is Red: https://lousydev.wordpress.com/

Side project: Heroes of the Pit (name TBD): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=692698

I am searching for a sound designer, please PM me if you are one that is searching for work!

#183 Ax8472

Ax8472

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

Steam sale a couple of years ago. "Game maker, export to iOS, Android" etc etc. I'd seen "Make your own games without code" programs before, used Construct but was underwhelmed. It was only £15 so gave it a bash. Love it. 

Two and a bit years on and using GML is my #1 thing to do. Absolutely opened up my life, don't know where I'd be without that Steam sale.

#184 2% Milk

2% Milk

Got Milk

• GMC Member
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:16 AM

My dad bought me a copy of Game Maker 5 for Christmas (back when Overmars was the developer!) and I was fascinated with it. I had no knowledge of programming and I was amazed that "words could change what happens in the game," so I spent most of my free time learning it. Loved every minute of it.

Also, here is one of the first things I ever read about game maker:
http://web.cs.wpi.ed...s_GoodGames.pdf

- 2% Milk

Musician / Electrical Engineer
I love making games.

#185 superdaz83

superdaz83

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:21 PM

I remember downloading it years ago with the old interface and I said "what's this ****" being all ignorant and not realising it's the greatest dev tool I've used to date... anyway... I tried it for a platform game very briefly and couldn't get anything to work (didn't even put in the time to learn) so I deleted it. I then went onto programming for Mugen Fighting Engine for 7 years and became pretty much expert at it.... I then decided I felt limited as a programmer, and wanted to add certain things into the game that could only be changed by the source code to which wasn't available... so I looked up a few programming tutorials and how to get started in game development and GM Studio came up in most of the videos on youtube, I watched a few videos and decided to give it a go again, 2 years later here I am.

I enjoy meeting new people and talking code/making projects together..

Add me on skype: dazmo83  or drop me a message on here if you want to talk about gamemaker, GML, or even work on a project together, I'm ur guy ^_^ I'm here to make new friends!!!!!!

#186 Dylzer98

Dylzer98

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

It originally started out as a school project, as the weeks progressed, I started to get more confident with Game Maker. Therefor, I started to use it in my own time developing new skill and then eventually I could start making my own big project on my own (no help included). Three years later I'm still using Game Maker to create what I want. I am currently planning out a game at this moment (More info is on my profile or HERE) which is a Survival / Adventure.

Dylzer98 (OricalTek Software)

OricalTek Owner

www.oricaltek.weebly.com

#187 Funkey

Funkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

I came across Gamemaker 8.1 lite back in 2011 or whenever, honestly can't remember the exact date. After using it for a few years I decided to take it a bit more seriously. I quickly learnt GML and started messing around with small projects that never get finished, but then again I think everyone has that problem. I am now refining my music production skills and low-res pixel art skills to create a smaller project. I am now planning to release my next game in a few months, after the Tasmanian internet crisis is fixed :/

I'm up for a chat if you want to bounce any ideas about anything game related. Feel free to add me.

Big Smoke: Same things make us laugh, make us cry.

#188 Colonello

Colonello

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:45 AM

I actually used GameMaker a ton as a kid. I had no idea what I was doing at all and later dismissed the software as being too difficult to use. Fast forward about 6 or 7 years and here I am again. I used to feel as if GameMaker wasn't a "real" engine. After hearing Undertale and various other indie games were created with it I decided to give it a shot. Wow I sure missed out on a lot. I've been trying to find the perfect engine that suits my needs for nearly a year and I've finally found it. I actually enjoy using this program! Flat out coding an entire game in Java got way too boring, if I had used Swift my game would have been iOS only, and Unity was way too expensive for the full version.