187 replies to this topic

#101 BladexDancer

BladexDancer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 320 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

In grade(Insert grade here), I found a file on the school PC and opened it. It was that car game where you have to avoid the police and pick up the fuel...I was amazed that the school PC's had such an 'awesome' game and then opened Game Maker and I didn't know how to work it (I was Anywhere in between grade 2-4). Many years later I found it on my school netbook and since I have a memory like an elephant, I recognised it and because I was so shocked, I started to actually use it and I got allright at D'n'D and discovered that you could so much more with GML and switched to GML after purchasing GM 8.0 Pro on my home PC. I now spend a lot of time learning and practising GML. Before GM...I had no idea what to in the future. But I now what to become a game dev..or a programmer. Thank you Mark Overmars and YoYo Games :). I literally would be wasting my time doing nothing before you waltzed into my life again :). Thank you.

Edited by BladexDancer, 29 October 2013 - 12:17 PM.

icon170_zps703b58c6.png

#YYG

#102 shirsakbc

shirsakbc

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

When I was in school, one boy told me that he created games using a program named Multimedia Fusion 2, i was kinda amazed, so i googled it, downloaded it and started on the tutorial (a breakout game named chocobreak) right away. Later on I made another game but only then realised that I had to purchase the full version to compile executables. So I asked that friend again if he had such a program and he told me that he didn't but another student had, who was three grades senior than me. So after much begging requesting him for it, he finally gave me Gamemaker 6.0 installer...

Zzzzzz...Zzzzzz...

#103 Oldschoolgamer69

Oldschoolgamer69

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:43 AM

I learned about it after I first played the original Spelunky (which coincidentily was done with Gamemaker, and is arguably the most well known GM title to date).

Edited by Oldschoolgamer69, 31 October 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#104 ThePC007

ThePC007

Chickenator

• GMC Member
  • 1062 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

I once wanted to create my own game, so I asked Google for help. That was about 3 years ago, and now I am still using it. 

#105 binarybits

binarybits

Binary Bits

• GMC Member
  • 396 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

My GM story:

Over the summer i went to a game design summer camp; learned game maker; went home and downloded it; two weeks later i was hooked. making games like 

Perl Diver

The Dark Land

Nature Saver

MY Pet

and more

Game Making Rocks!
Entered Jbax's contest! Here is the game I entered! 

SNOW DEFENDERS! PLAY AND DOWNLOAD! FOR PC'S! 

MAC VERSON TO BE UPLODED SHORTLY!

MY CONTEST: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=606105

#106 Player Zero

Player Zero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

I have experience with C/C++, PHP, Assembly, etc.  But what I really wanted was a 2D game development environment that was a complete solution, where it wouldn't be necessary to be constantly reinventing the wheel to implement sprites, collision detection, scrolling, and all the other things that are taken for granted in a 2D game.  Going down the C/SDL path would require a vast amount of foundation work before I could even think about actually doing the game.  Any serious work would require a team, or years of dedication.  3D was very well catered for, but 2D solutions were not very numerous.  So it didn't take me long to discover GameMaker 7 among this short supply of solutions, and found it was actually very well thought out, the complete solution that I'd been looking for, the problem then was that while the fundamentals were brilliant, the final execution was rather lacking for any serious game development.

So I tried Microsoft's C#/XNA framework with the FlatRedBall 2D engine, and while it wasn't as good at the fundamentals as GM:7, the results were very impressive.  But then MS killed Silverlight, one of the more interesting platforms for XNA generated content, and then finally XNA itself.  A shame as they didn't seem to know or care what they had there.

Meanwhile GM has morphed into GM:S, and the things that let the original GM down have been very aggressively addressed by the Mike, Russell, and the rest of the YoYo team, and today GM:S is by far the best solution for 2D game development, and it just keeps getting better.  I can no longer blame the development environment for my lack of progress.

#107 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

g e n o d o

• GMC Member
  • 1008 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

I don't remember, but it was 3 years ago.

Well, I DO remember making games with GameSalad (:P) in 2009, then I found GM4 Mac. I stopped in 2010. I was like NOPE. Then I stopped for a while. Then I searched for the windows version. I'm like dats cool. I made my first game, then I found Minecraft (thanks to DSHADOW) . Then in 2011, I went back and tried GM8.1 and then I convinced my dad to purchase it, and then I got it. Then a couple of weeks ago I used a friends version of GMS: Master, but I turned it down because of GMS: Standards' free upgrade. And here we are today.

There's my two cents.

ALWAYS >b3v6o7.jpg< ALWAYS

#108 -DIE Wolf-

-DIE Wolf-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Yo! Here is my stories

Fun fact : I'm younger  :duck:

------ Time 1 --------

When i got the computer. I play many game... But i know about Counter-Strike.

So... I play CS a lot and bored the offical map! I can download some extra map from internet. But i dont know why i dont like that ! I want make make my verry own map.

So i start to make map for CS ! My skill is not so well. But my computer is suck and lag ( 200MB RAM). Make map for CS is too hard !

------ Time 2 --------

Then... I know game call CS2D ! Is Counter Strike in 2D ! The game amazing ! The map editor, player skins, scripts... is so easy to use ! In that CS2D. I just made about 30+ maps ! And it verry nice. Many player like it.

Then ... I know the game ASSAULT CUBE. So i make a map in that game as well. In Assault Cube, i make best map ever. People love it. 

------ great time ---------

That moments, i realize that im good at map designer ! And that is only job make me feel " :) ". So i choose my dream : I will become the game designer !

So i think i need to do somethings to make this dream come true. So i know about Game Maker. Is start from here ....

#109 elvirais

elvirais

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

I actually took an introductory course in game design. It was a very bad course but it did use Game Maker... It took me a few months to really get into it and now I love it :)

#110 Yitcomics

Yitcomics

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Back in 09,trying to find a good and free game software I can use to make my 2D game,after searching for a while I found GM7,i mean the free version has restriction,but I wasnt planning on making a commercial or anything grand scale,so it was fine for me.And probably like most of people,I wanted to create something big for my first game,I wanted to create an RPG lol,of course i had to learn it the hard way.

It was a total mess,never program anything in my life,GML seems like chinese to me and bam I created a monster,lol after that I start learning slowly.

Edited by Yitcomics, 02 December 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#111 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

Well...I remember GM since it was on markovermars.nl . Decided that i want to make games..aand hapily stumbled upon GM.That drastic change in GM5 that was the moment i saw in GM potential to become a powerfull tool. Now GM demonstrates this again with GM:Studio. Soo good job on this one:).

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png

#112 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

Gamemaker.nl

#113 FortyEightKay

FortyEightKay

Commercial Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1297 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

I started using it in about 2003, I think this before it was called gamemaker. Found it by searching on google for a game making tool. Tried a few other programs before settling Gamemaker (was it called animator back then?)

Been using it on and off for many years. Joined the GMC in about Nov 2003, pop in now and again and say hello.

#114 blopit

blopit

cool guy

• GMC Member
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

Someone posted a link to their game in the engine001 forums and I was amazed because I was using engine001 and it sucked compared to GM so I DL'd GM 7 lite and its history from there!

E3VdaOr.png GLOB  - GMC Jam 11( PC

"it's cool I guess" -blopit

#115 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

I remember it well. I had bought a really crappy product before. This -> http://www.thegamecr...product&id=2126

And one day I was thinking: "Hey, I want to make a game with software I can really have freedom with."

"What if I type in; 'game maker' to find out new software?"

"Cool! An actual hit on those keywords!"

"Mark Overmars? Who's that.." (Clicking download without reading anything.)

"Gamemaker 6.1" (Started opening 1945 example)

This is were it started for me. :P Does anyone know how many ages ago 6.1 was released?

#116 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

Does anyone know how many ages ago 6.1 was released?

It was released mid 2005.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#117 itsTheDev

itsTheDev

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

I used a lot of game engines (Unity, GameSalad( :yes: it exists), UDK, etc.) and none of them seemed to be good for me (Except for Unity, but that's complicated) so I Googled 'game maker' and Game Maker 8 was there to get, so what did I do? Get the lite version.

Spoiler

I had been Unity since that experience and I got pretty far with Unity.

Then YoYo Games announced that GM:S was free and I got it and I was satisfied. I use it still.

Spoiler

Edited by itsTheDev, 15 December 2013 - 11:06 PM.

It's... THE DEV!

#118 blopit

blopit

cool guy

• GMC Member
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:39 AM

It's fascinating how much the name of a product influences it's sales. I'm sure many many people have found Game Maker just by searching 'game maker' in google.

It is such a good argument against those many people on the forums that insist on a name change.

E3VdaOr.png GLOB  - GMC Jam 11( PC

"it's cool I guess" -blopit

#119 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Ok thanks. So, I was 12 and half years old when I first discovered gamemaker. =P

It is such a good argument against those many people on the forums that insist on a name change.

Yup, that's a good one. Another good argument would be that it does sound a bit childish for it's age of development. Maybe it does need a name change eventually. :)

@itsTheDev

So I guess you know how to handle 3ds max / blender pretty well right? Unity is a really powerful tool to work with. Although the effects are mostly over used. =P

Edited by Alvare, 16 December 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#120 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Ok thanks. So, I was 12 and half years old when I first discovered gamemaker. =P

Yup, that's a good one. Another good argument would be that it does sound a bit childish for it's age of development. Maybe it does need a name change eventually. :)

So you learned of Game Maker when you were a child of 12, now your 20 are a customer.

Yet you believe that a valid argument is not to have a name that you perceive to be childish? 

And I really don't understand this perception that "Game Maker" sounds childish. 

Why does it sound childish?

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#121 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

Well I for one don't refuse to use coffee makers because they sound childish, so what's the difference?

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#122 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

Because there are awesome names (Unity, Unreal Engine etc.), and Game Maker is just... meh.

Really guys, if a product is easy to use and offers awesome characteristics, why do you bother to change it's name?

Don't say a cool name would attract more people, as the proof that the current name is better is in this topic.

Imagine if Firefox was named "Web Browser", in that case a lot more people would use it, and if Mozilla is as good as YoYo, for the same reason it would be the best Web browser, right?

Back on topic:
I discovered GM just searching for it. Before it,I tried to make games using Visual Basic.

Edited by GVmakesGames, 24 December 2013 - 10:01 AM.

just another indie game developer, this time agoraphobic.

Twitter | My Blog | Youtube | Steam | GameJolt | Itch.ioIndieDB | Ask.fm | reddit | MyAnimeList | osu! | WINGverse

GVmG.gif twitch_emoticon___wutface_by_centaurman_

image4.png?uid=6995159&m=0

#123 daniel_lemke

daniel_lemke

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:00 AM

I found Game Maker when I was researching how to program. My dad told me I would need to buy a compiler, but being a broke kid at the time I searched the Internet for a free compiler. One of the websites I was looking at had a section for game creation tools and there was a link to Game Maker 6.1a. I've been using Game Maker off and on for seven years since then.

I've stuck with Game Maker because it was the first tool of it's kind (as far as I'm aware anyways) that both made it easy to make games and to allow you to make whatever game you want. It takes a little bit more work because of the freedom Game Maker provides, but it has been my experience that the end product comes out much better than using other game creation tools.

#124 BBaller

BBaller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 820 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:06 AM

I found Game Maker when I turned 18. I had asked for a car for Christmas, but my parents decided to get me the free version of Game Maker instead!

No, actually, I stumbled upon GM about 10 years ago when I was using RPG Toolkit to make games. The first time I tried using GM, I gave up. It wasn't until I gave it another shot a while later that I stuck with it.

k1eyl3.jpg

#125 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

So you learned of Game Maker when you were a child of 12, now your 20 are a customer.

Yet you believe that a valid argument is not to have a name that you perceive to be childish? 

And I really don't understand this perception that "Game Maker" sounds childish. 

Good question. I think it has to do with the fact that the name doesn't seem to be thought out very well.. Yes, alot of people have found the program.

But Gamemaker for me, just sounds a bit dull now. Like a painting program called paint.

Why the heck would this be defined as childish? I don't know. I have no answer for that.

Or maybe it has to do with Gamemaker's presentation in the past. The 1945 game with the terribly loud music and the topdown car driving game.

But we can all forget about these now. xD

#126 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:23 AM

Good question. I think it has to do with the fact that the name doesn't seem to be thought out very well.. Yes, alot of people have found the program.

I just did a google search for the phrase Game Maker all but one of the hits on the front page was referencing YYG's Game Maker.

Yeah, not very well thought out.

What are you thinking?

#127 jake_president

jake_president

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

I first tried Game Maker some seven years ago though I only created like not even a game but something where could walk around as a poorly drawn stickman. Then like one and half year ago I started thinking about making games and I was looking around for something proper to use. Since I didn't know any programing I wanted something I could get started with very quickly and which was easy to use. I started trying all these Game Making tools all over the web simply because I thought Game Maker was to unprofesional (something which I want to slightly punch myself for thinking) But then like almost exactly one year ago I tried it again and then it was awesome! Went some weeks and then I bought the full verision!

BaWhYOnCAAAKcXE.jpg

#128 MrFlippy

MrFlippy

Magic Snowman

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

When I started HTML and JavaScript, I thought there could be an easy way to make games by coding. Then I searched Game Maker...
NAAAH! The REAL story is, When I was an embryo, I developed computer hands ^^

Edited by Mr. Flippy, 17 December 2014 - 11:51 PM.

4623930893.png
I make free music! Call me either Mr, Flippy or MrFlippy. :D

#129 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:45 PM

The point of the name "Game Maker" is to make it easy to recognize, easy to remember

and easy to find. The name sounds simplistic not childish, simplistic for the reason that

most people who want to make games would probably end up searching... "game maker,"

"game making program," or even "game development." All of which would lead to

Game Maker at one point or another.

The point being is that "game" is a common word for video games(obviously) and "maker"

is a general and simplistic term for development kit... makes for an easy search all together.

Edited by FatalSleep, 17 December 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#130 MrFlippy

MrFlippy

Magic Snowman

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:47 PM

The point of the name "Game Maker" is to make it easy to recognize, easy to remember
and easy to find. The name sounds simplistic not childish, simplistic for the reason that
most people who want to make games would probably end up searching... "game maker,"
"game making program," or even "game development." All of which would lead to
Game Maker at one point or another.

The point being is that "game" is a common word for video games(obviously) and "maker"
is a general and simplistic term for development kit... makes for an easy search all together.

I was going to say this, But didn't know how to explain it. Lol

4623930893.png

#131 karlos

karlos

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:12 AM

I got a free copy of 'RPG Maker VX Ace' as a gift on Steam. Was lucky enough to be lurking on GameDev.net to catch a guy giving away a couple of gift keys.

I loved the concept behind it. Click some things and have it do all of the hard work making the executable. I soon found that RPG Maker seemed pretty limited in scope and anything made by it seems instantly identifiable.

So, I typed in 'game making software' in to Google to see what else may be out there and soon stumbled across 'Game Maker'. Which funnily enough, I had never heard of.

Been working with it ever since :)

#132 DbldudeBlarg

DbldudeBlarg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:21 AM

I did the Click the Fruit tutorial, messed around a bit, and discovered that I actually understood what the heck was going on. (Keep in mind that I had, like, zero programming experience at the time, so it was quite a learning curve
- Awesomeness

Lol that's pretty much my reaction.

I had found gamemaker after a month of making scenes for a fangame and finally decided to try and make the thing. Got gamemaker (6.something) and dived into the drag-n-drop.

Got frustrated with that, did the point the fruit tutorial and realized that my I am doing to much! Lol. Switched over to code, love working with it, and been messing around and learning since.

Edited by DbldudeBlarg, 20 December 2014 - 12:45 AM.

"Never argue with an idiot... they will drag you down to their level and beat you through experience."

#133 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

I did the Click the Fruit tutorial, messed around a bit, and discovered that I actually understood what the heck was going on. (Keep in mind that I had, like, zero programming experience at the time, so it was quite a learning curve
- Awesomeness

Lol that's pretty much my reaction.

I had found gamemaker after a month of making scenes for a fangame and finally decided to try and make the thing. Got gamemaker (6.something) and dived into the drag-n-drop.

Got frustrated with that, did the point the fruit tutorial and realized that my I am doing to much! Lol. Switched over to code, love working with it, and been messing around and learning since.

I did this exact same thing. All I can say is that... the Fruit Tutorial was perfect.

I knew nothing of game development, programming, d&d and I got right into GM with ease through that tutorial.

#134 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:12 AM

I found GameMaker when I searched through YOYOGAMES site, guessing it to be a collection of games. I found GM just then and started using it as a result of constant hits of idea fairy and seek of a medium to spend my time. After 2 hours, I learned the basics and the click to destroy tuto was a great fun. :)

#135 MrFlippy

MrFlippy

Magic Snowman

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

I found GameMaker when I searched through YOYOGAMES site, guessing it to be a collection of games. I found GM just then and started using it as a result of constant hits of idea fairy and seek of a medium to spend my time. After 2 hours, I learned the basics and the click to destroy tuto was a great fun. :)

I wish I could've stumbled like that xP

4623930893.png

#136 Gynganynja

Gynganynja

The Clickable Name

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:40 AM

I first started on GM7. I stumbled onto it by searching "Gamemaker" into google. The first time was a fail (mainly because I didn't know what a sprite was, and I kept thinking the fizzy drink "sprite)

A couple of months later I stumbled onto it again, but decided to search up a few tutorials, and have been using it since.

#137 Monkeyman88

Monkeyman88

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:13 AM

I Stumbled into Game Maker when it actually first came out in 2007, I was a senior a high school and My computer tech teacher ask us to try out the program and I loved working with it. I stopped using it for long time and just recently got back into.

#138 Greenhawk

Greenhawk

Gue Games

• GMC Member
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

I was in 4th grade and i decided that it was time to learn how to program awesome games. So i did some searching and i stumbled upon the sandbox and oh man, did I have a blast there! Next I got the software which, was GM7 at the time and the rest is history.

Edited by Greenhawk911, 10 January 2015 - 03:07 PM.

Games Made:

Youtube Channels:

One of the many GMC Gurus.

#139 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:16 AM

I was in 4th grade and i decided that it was time to learn how to program awesome games. So i did some searching and i stumbled upon the sandbox and oh man, did I have a blast there! Next I got the software which, was GM7 at the time and the rest is history.

You got it quite early. I got it when I was in 6th grade, nearly 2 years ago. I stumbled at Sandbox, first and then, to Gm 8.1. I was crazy about it at that time. I, still remember those cute games that I made with those cute DnD icons. :}

#140 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

I just did a google search for the phrase Game Maker all but one of the hits on the front page was referencing YYG's Game Maker.

That a name turns out to be brilliant fifteen years later doesn't imply it was well thought out back in the day. It might just as well been a coincidence, and a very fortunate turn of events. :)

I don't know about Mark Overmars's marketing skills, after all ;)

promo_briquidmini_500x150.png

#141 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 4048 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:33 AM

That a name turns out to be brilliant fifteen years later doesn't imply it was well thought out back in the day. It might just as well been a coincidence, and a very fortunate turn of events. 

It was a brilliant advertisement play back in the day.

When you're looking for a program to help you make something, the first thing you look for isn't "Bloodcrest Flying Eagle Super Kick", it's a program called "Game Maker" or "Making Games" or "Over Here Dummy". I know of Unity through people, I know of Unreal through advertisement, I know of RPG Maker because I looked for RPG makers.

tumblr_ngbm3tNUVy1thlk7do1_75sq.png

Professor Kayge says: "Play Project Jin! I'm sure it's been released by whatever year you're reading this in!"

#142 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:16 AM

RPG Maker because I looked for RPG makers.

There're a lot of RPG Makers, but none of them gives much functionality as GameMaker does. I don't feel, there're any genre-based engines, better than GameMaker, and of course, there're no good and sweet forums, like we have for GameMaker, the GMC, kinda great.

#143 CupcakeCutie

CupcakeCutie

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

Google! :)

doritoooo.png

#144 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

I don't remember if I posted here... Hmmm.

I spent weeks testing engines and "makers", as I had my heart set on making my very own Zelda game. I was 14.

After a few hours of searching how to make Zelda games, specifically, I stumbled into something called Zelda Classic.

It hasn't been updated in a very long time, but it basically lets you either rewrite the first Zelda game's story and design new maps and stuff using the ol' NES GFX, or you can meticulously make your own art and import it.

I tried for a few days to get a handle on it, but it seems like it was made in the early Windows days, it has an almost DOS feel to it.

After chucking that in the bucket I found RPG Maker, but this was before it had the free version, so I chucked it fast.

Then there was the usual list, DarkBasic, Unity, and Platinum Arts Sandbox. I messed with that Alice thing from the Scratch people too.

None of them were easy to learn. So I didn't.

I found Construct (Still classic if I remember correctly!), and it had promises of being easy to learn and really intuitive... LIES! I still can't comprehend making games in Construct, I think it may be too simple for me to understand? That sounds pompous, but I like to learn complicated things, not be babied by software.

GameMaker was actually the last stop on my travel through the dump of Engines. 

I made around 8 games with pure DnD, oh GOD the DnD! I can't even look in those projects anymore, they are a confusing mess of blocks!

I moved to GML after Studio came out, not because it took that long to learn, but all the games I had been working on were already DnD, and apparently mixing DnD and GML in older versions of GM actually made like a Frankenstein's Monster of a build and could run slower.

Since GM:S 1.1 I've been pure GML for everything except particles, but I finally nailed that a few months ago. Kicked that nasty DnD habit.

I have been a GM user for almost 5 years I think? 5 years in May.

My first copy of GM was 8.0 Lite, but I bought it just as 8.1 was released, so I got 8.1 for like $25 or something like that.

I haven't touched 8.1 for anything serious since I got Studio, but I keep it installed anyway.

Wow, this turned into an essay...

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#145 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

That a name turns out to be brilliant fifteen years later doesn't imply it was well thought out back in the day. It might just as well been a coincidence, and a very fortunate turn of events. :)

I don't know about Mark Overmars's marketing skills, after all ;)

Whether it was or wasn't well thought out 15 years ago isn't consequential.

The discussion of the name and not liking it, is current. When people talk about wanting to change the name they are talking about changing its current name. Given the value of its search potential and given then when people use terms that include game and make, Game Maker is returned prominently, that has huge value.

Many want to throw that away. Those are the ones that truly don't understand marketing.

People pay Google tens of thousands of dollars in advertising to be displayed prominently. YYGs gets that for free, and people want to abandon it.

So yeah, not very well thought out.

#146 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:47 PM

It was around six years ago today, we were running low on supplies. The area I lived in was in poverty, buildings were in ruin and nobody cared. Crime was abundant, gangs beat up the poor and weak for the few pennies they had. The rich, successful programmers looked down on us, viewing us with contempt and disgust. It seemed like it would never end. 

We attended the Church Of Scratch every Sunday, we prayed for better. We chanted, "Imagine, Program, Share. Imagine, Program, Share. Imagine, Program, Share..." We dreamed of non-drag and drop interfaces, we had hoped of a morning where we would wake up and be respected by our fellow programmers, one day, we would code.

It was around that point that the Cult Of Construct 2 burned down the Church. We had lost all will to carry on. That was, until one day. A middle-aged dutch man showed up at the town, born in the Netherlands and lived in the Netherlands. That's right...

It was Marc Overmars, the footballer. He showed up and said "If you just sacrifice your livestock, everything will be OK." He left. We weren't sure where he was going. But we like to think it was West Sussex. Also, he wasn't Marc Overmars, I lied. I think it was just a homeless person. Who knows.

I forgot where I was going with this but four months later they said I could come off the medication and that's when I got access to a computer and found Game Maker.

#147 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:37 AM

^^That kinda looks like a scene of a hollywood movie, roytheshort..
@Lukan - Unlike you, the first game creation I found, was GameMaker, itself.. Sort of, devotee meeting his lord.

#148 mnsingh367

mnsingh367

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:10 AM

We have an entrance exam in India called IITJEE for studying engineering in the top most college of India. After going over the studies for few months I found that my real passion was in Video Games from the very beginning. So I just google'd something and got to know about this after some waste. Just tried using it and it felt like I could do this whole day and I won't listen to anybody if he/she tries to stop me from making Games.

I am still a beginner but, nobody can stop me from fulfilling my dream... :lol:

#149 crozza

crozza

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

My first game was a freeware painter game in Delphi after that GM5 was the next choice because it was pascal based like Delphi and never looked back. GM studio standard is the last as it is beyond my pocket now and considering I make mostly retro freeware games for fun is not worth upgrading. I still prefer to use GM7/8 and sometimes GM5 Depending on the game.

Edited by crozza, 19 January 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#150 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

We have an entrance exam in India called IITJEE for studying engineering in the top most college of India. After going over the studies for few months I found that my real passion was in Video Games from the very beginning. So I just google'd something and got to know about this after some waste. Just tried using it and it felt like I could do this whole day and I won't listen to anybody if he/she tries to stop me from making Games.

I'm kinda loving the craze of Indian people, for GameMaker.... I've seen about one thousands of GMians, from India.... That's truely great, that Indians love game development, and gameMaker mostly.