187 replies to this topic

#51 Panzergeist

Panzergeist

Insane Box Man

• GMC Member
  • 1241 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

i had programming knowledge since a very young age since my father was a really big hacker back then. so amongst many other skills i had thought to be useless at that age i learned C. i always got bored staring at lines of code and then moved on to playing video games. some time later the realisation occured to me that i could invest this knowledge into making games. whilst i had a very difficult time using C to code a game i later researched what i would need to actually develope a game and i saw the game maker softawre, so i downloaded it, played around with some engines from the yoyo games sandbox and a few years later, after abandaning the software completely, decided, out of bordom, i would read through the game maker help documentation. i didnt understand it, it just didnt compute. i then realised the best way that i learn is from experience, so i started coding things and learning what did and didnt work and how i could use these features in different ways. after dealing with the lite version of GM 6, i eventually found GM 8 and got the pro version (completely legally of course 3:) )

[ ._.]> Where am I...

#52 wizaerd

wizaerd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 45 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

What a fun topic. I've always had this drive and ambition to be creative.  I work as a professional software developer, but it's not necessarily creative from an artistic point of view, although I've come up with some very creative solutions to business problems.  Anyways, I was interested in videos and animations.  I played around with using Warcraft's map editor to create animations, little machinimas, which was a great deal of fun, so I though the next logical step was to use an actual game engine for machinima.  I played with different options, including GameMaker 7.  I was utterly confused, although I tried to understand it.  Eventually I gave up, and went back to the Warcraft map editor.

A few years later, HTML5 is taking off, and once more I'm interested in game development.  Not so much machinima as I was before, although it is still of interest because I ant to make private games for friends and family that tell stories about those friends and families.  So I purchased GameMaker Studio, and I certainly understand it much more, although truth be told I'm still at an utter loss as to how t make the specific game I want to make.  I'm also evaluating other game engines as well, as there's quite a few that are easier to use, but I keep coming back to GM because I like the appeal of coding some aspects of the game.  Although I think there's too much code required fr a good GM game.

Live fast, die you, and leave a good looking corpse...

#53 TehPilot

TehPilot

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

• GMC Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

I had been playing around with RPG Maker for some time, and I had started to try and make things that weren't simply RPG games within the confines of the program. I got bored trying to do that, searched for another tool, and found myself with GM version 6.1. I've been using GM since.

-~✈~-
To infinity, and surround!

#54 Monstr Gaming

Monstr Gaming

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

My 10yr old self decided to make ps3 fan page using webs. Some people I met through there were using game maker to make games, so... it went on from tghere :)

youtube.png

#55 Exkakx

Exkakx

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 705 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

I was googling "game maker" when I was nine, or something...

ExkakxWord1.gifExkakxWord2.gifExkakxWord3.gifExkakxWord4.gif   

#56 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

I wanted to make a game and asked motg how he did it. Simple enough.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#57 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1902 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

I guess yoyogames smart strategy of naming their product "game maker" actually paid off , Most people , including myself , found game maker googling it.

#58 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

I guess yoyogames smart strategy of naming their product "game maker" actually paid off , Most people , including myself , found game maker googling it.

It was not "YoYoGames smart strategy", YoYoGames didnt even existed before Game Maker, it was Mark Overmars propierty and idea.

Edited by Manuel777, 16 August 2013 - 10:26 PM.

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.

#59 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

How did I get game maker? It was a sunny day, four years and a half ago. I was searching for hacking trickz (I was still a n00b).

I found, on a hacking forum, someone having problems to use a software called Game Maker 8.0. He was searching for a hack to use it full and free.

After I searched for some video on youtube, I decided to buy it (yes, because the hack wasn't working :P ). And I litterally fell in love with it!

After four years and a half, I'm gone pretty far from the n00b that was me four years ago. I don't use D&D from 3 years and a half, and I released two games with another nickname (but was bad games).

Now, I'm good at graphics, music and scripting. I can do a game, but I'm too lazy.

People never changes 100%.

- GVmG

just another indie game developer, this time agoraphobic.

Twitter | My Blog | Youtube | Steam | GameJolt | Itch.ioIndieDB | Ask.fm | reddit | MyAnimeList | osu! | WINGverse

GVmG.gif twitch_emoticon___wutface_by_centaurman_

image4.png?uid=6995159&m=0

#60 seanrr

seanrr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

I had been playing Roblox and wanted to make my own games that i could sell (thinking I would make money) so I googled game maker and have been using it since Game Maker 7 I think.

#61 Noel_Abercrombie

Noel_Abercrombie

Hexagon of Justice

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Stumbleupon linked me to a site full of VRML games (remember those? Anybody?). From there, I started making my own worlds (In DO3D, another thing lost to time...) and messing around in ones that other people made. One day, a gallery site I found had a page with a handful of downloadable games on it, including a crappy click the ball style game. It had a Gamemaker 4.0 banner on it.

One thing lead to another, and I spent a summer making crappy Dr.Who fangames.

That was 2004. Help.

#62 kepons

kepons

The Pear

• GMC Member
  • 999 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

Dan1, I found it the same way you did.

After playing many awesome games, I just thought "There are so many game, it's probably easy to make them." Then I started googling and found much software, including GM. From that time Game Maker has reserved it's place in my HDD and I know how hard is making a good game.

This forum has been archived. The content above may differ from my current opinion.

Twitter | GameJolt | Ask.fm
prize_award_4_zpsvm0hohkp.png

#63 StevePimFox

StevePimFox

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hello everyone. Thought this would be a good place as any to say hi and make my first post.

I have been interested in figuring out how to make apps for over a year and did a lot of research, long story so shall spare you the details, but I came across Gamemaker over a week ago when I wondered if there were any game maker programs out there where I could create games for apps and this popped up. Downloaded the trial version and figured I'd give it a go. I'm halfway through the tutorials, getting my head around the coding, but it does look promising.

I completed a diploma, many years ago, in computer games development so I have a good understanding of games, but it'll take time to get to grips with coding. So far so good. After my diploma, I spent a few years studying for a degree in film and television, and now that's completed, I decided to get back into creating games as well as, concentrating on make games for mobile phones and tablets.

I have many ideas but decided to keep things simple to start off with. Figured I'll make a couple of demos first until I get the hang of it before I buy the full version, but what I'm seeing so far I like. Looking forward to the day when I'm ready to make my first full game. I have no doubt that I'll have quite a few questions to ask as time goes on, so you may see me around on here.

#64 deathzero021

deathzero021

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

i typed the words Game Maker into google. Than downloaded GM6.

#65 Darkstar2

Darkstar2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:01 AM

I was looking for an quick way to make a game and so I typed "game maker" in google and sure enough

I landed on Game Maker 5.0 :)

#66 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

I searched "Game Maker" when I was 9 or 10 because I wanted to try and make my own games (inspired by GTA).

#67 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4248 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

At young age I developed games whether I had resources for it or not. So you'd guess the first thing I do when we got internet connection home was google "game maker" and the rest is history.

I've probably posted this already in some of the other topics like this that simply keep getting forgotten and remade.

#68 KriLL

KriLL

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

I heard about that 15 year old kid who made around 15 million when he sold his app to Yahoo which got me thinking. Then I came across GMS on Steam around the same time my best mate whos a graphics designer said that he really needs to get out of his place of work. So we decided to form our own 2 man company and create a game :)

#69 Darkstar2

Darkstar2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

Bloody hell! :D  It's hard to imagine someone making 15 million $ on a game, especially mobile app when they get pirated like crazy!

Were you serious because I have not heard about a 15 year old making 15 million $ with an app......... :P

#70 EGF

EGF

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

i guess 4 main reasons made me get to game maker

1. I wanted to learn how to create a game and game maker was one of the results google gave me

2. I noticed the program on the computers at my school, some of the lower year groups were making some basic games

3. I saw there were quite alot of video tutorials and that game maker was very popular

4. When i started using game maker i could bring the games into school to show and play with my friends

Test my 3D animator beta

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=551616

#71 pwyskowski

pwyskowski

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:04 AM

Came across a game made in Gamemaker called Megabot that was on a magazine coverdisk. 

#72 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:15 AM

"I WANT MAEK GAMEZ! OH BOI, GAEM MAEKER!" *newb games galore*

Edited by 11clock, 25 August 2013 - 02:15 AM.

qNDVrhl.png

#73 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

I heard some people discovered GameMaker by entering "Game Maker" on Google.

Not sure if it's true or not.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#74 Greenblizzard

Greenblizzard

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

As kids, I and my brother wanted to make games, so we searched for a tool to make us able to do it. We had at least two failed attempts, one of them being darkBASIC. Then I saw that someone had made a 2D Spyro the dragon fan game on the at the time official Spyro forum, and that he had used Game Maker. So we downloaded Game Maker 6.1 from the gamemaker.nl website.

Edited by Greenblizzard, 25 August 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#75 elidzer

elidzer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

I remember very well : I was 13, and I never saw how things are really done to create a game. Then I bought "Windows News" (in 2004 I think), shipped with a CD which included Game Maker 6. This magazine included a tutorial about how to do a shooter with the hamburger sprite.  :teehee:

#76 ZachX888

ZachX888

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

It was about three years ago...

I joined a forum about animation in 2010, and did that for a while, did pretty good and while there, met some guys that showed me Game Maker.

Their names were Pivotman (Later Warrior and now Nick) and mcmonkey.

Pivotman had a forum of his own (which later died out) and there we worked on a game that never got finished.

It was supposed to be a GTA type game, Pivotman and mcmonkey were the programmers, and I made the sprites.

mcmonkey made some basic sprites that filled most of the engine, and edited some of mine slightly. (Such as making the mini gun barrel longer)

Later on with the forum owned by Pivotman being closed by him, and mcmonkey being "evicted" from the animation forum, it was just me and Pivotman at the animation forum. (Which now, in 2013, is merging with two other forums.)

Anyway, after all that, the game had been forgotten about, and I moved on to try Game Maker for myself. I had learned some things while working with the other 2, but it took a good tutorial on youtube (and a lot of help from the GM Sandbox community) to really get my game making career going.

I began work on a shooter about stick figures as my first project, although I was new to Game Maker and didn't really know what to do. Then I found a tutorial on youtube about how to make a Top Down Shooter. With this information, and creating a new GMK, as not to use the poor programming in the original file, I was finally able to create what is today Stick VS World.

It's been years and it's still unfinished, but it's come really far and will be finished at some point. I've learned a lot from the sprite making I did for that one game years ago, and other things like example GMKs and testing different things out with the GML code.

And so far, I've really liked it. =)

#77 Changgi

Changgi

Infamous Irregular

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

I was taught this back in middle school, third year. Though I was the only one who understood it (because I started programming in F1) so the tests didn't have it, and the assignments were never graded... Shame really... We were required to make "click the clown" as our first assignment, and I put many many features in such that it no longer resembled just click the clown...

And I started making games since. I'm now one year after the graduation of high school, and have made more than 150 games.

#78 FiLkAtA

FiLkAtA

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 541 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

I was 11 (I think) and I was messing around in the internet when I came across it on a site for software downloads. I was version 6.0. It sounded amazing. I installed it and had some very simple games made hours later. I even remember making back-ups on a floppy drive :D

#79 Dmajster

Dmajster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

when i was 11 (2009) i really wanted to make games , i was watching allot of TheNewBoston tutorials on Youtube and learned the basics of C++ when i noticed that making your own game engine is hard as ****. Then one day i just typed into my google search bar  "Gamemaker" and clicked the first page i saw , fortunately it was this site :D 

#80 RabbiRexTexas

RabbiRexTexas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

I've always wanted to make games, pretty much my entire life, ever since my dad held me up to a PacMan machine when I was three--probably dating myself there. I'd tried to learn Unity and the UDK, but I lack any formal training as a programmer and just couldn't wrap my head around them. I started taking a Code Academy course on Javascript, but fell far behind on the daily lessons, despite putting in real time and effort; I even got a book--a real ****ing physical book--on Java out from my local library--I know. Right?--and started reading it, but it was just too difficult. Javascript was absolutely opaque to me. What little I could do with it I couldn't see as applicable to game design.

Then, there was the 2012 Steam Winter sale, which introduced GameMaker: Studio at a 50% discount. I'd tried GameMaker before but, in 2010, but after finishing the clown-game tutorial, I dismissed it as a janky novelty, not suited for designing games that didn't feel like they were being run in Windows 3.1. Having heard, in the interim, though, that Hotline Miami was done in GameMaker, I decided I'd give it another try. So, I plunked down the $50 for Professional, watched Wizirdi's tutorials to get up to speed on GML, and here I am.

#81 WingMaster12

WingMaster12

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

I downloaded gamemaker back in 2009, but never opened it (must've just forgot I downloaded it.) But then about a year later (20010) I opened it after hangin' with some friends.

I suddenly realized I could make a room and put a little sprite in an object and then into that room, eventually I figured out actions and then took the gamemaker tutorial, SO glad I opened it that day, cause I found out my bro was gonna delete all un-used programs later that day.

That's my story.

If I've truly helped you please 1+ me 

#82 Norrox

Norrox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

I really wanted a yoyo, so I typed it in Google. Now I make games instead.

#83 TheAlvaMC

TheAlvaMC

GM Community King

• GMC Member
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

Ahhh It was a long time ago I saw one game on net (it was a sticky fight or something) and I wanted to make something like it sooo bad so I installed game maker light and left it and uninstalled it cus I was retarded LoL, then few months later I had to make a game so I downloaded it again and that is when I started making games :D

svs0fa.jpgProud of my new game editor im creating for my fps project!

Lots of features like instant testing, collisions, animations, pretty interface, load/save system and a lot more...

#84 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5900 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

When I was in elementary school I just loved the thought of being able to make my own games.

So I searched things such as: "make games", "how to make a game", which then lead me to google:
"game maker" and the obvious tool came up.

This was around when GM was...around maybe version 5?

Haha I remember getting so hyped about Mark Overmars, I'm surprised I didn't have posters of him

hanging up in my room at the time, he's such an inspiration.

Game Maker was also the very first program I'd heard of that used an interpreter.

I was so fascinated by how it worked.

Good times.

omQasih.jpg

#85 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

<Redacted>

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 16 January 2015 - 08:19 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#86 Nark

Nark

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Tried a game called Risk of Rain (beta) and then Gunpoint.  Realised that you could make something decent and very quickly so I jumped on board and bought it.

#87 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

The kids of my dad's new wife had a friend who used Game Maker. All four of us made some really simple 4-player-games. I somehow picked GM up, and started to outshine the others eventually because I was the only one using it regularily.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#88 NazGhuL

NazGhuL

From NazTaiL

• GMC Member
  • 2368 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

I started with a vic-20, then basic. I always been interested into making games. I nearly do it my job, but in the late 90's, it was not easy to be a programmer here in Montreal. So I choosed another path, but I kept playing games, use level editors, rpg maker, trainers, etc... In 2011 I decided to improve my programming skill and learn the C language. After 2 month of work,  I heard about Gamemaker on a site call: Le site du zéro.  I tried it for 1 weeks then I bought it. I took me about 6 month to fully understand the potential of the engine. I found the tool that fit my needs!

tag_mtmapo.jpgtag_marketplace.jpgtag_fake_light.jpg

#89 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4734 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

I believe a friend of mine had played with having found it through RPG Maker and had mentioned it to be, I was immediately hooked.

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#90 Gizmo199

Gizmo199

Dapper Dan Man Band

• GMC Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:50 AM

I honestly can remember, I was like in the 7th grade, and I am 21 now so...lots of lost memories between then and now. I think I just searched on ask jeeves (I know a long time ago since that was around.) About how to make games and thats when I found the gamemaker.nl website. It was like 2 years before I realized that there was a forum whre I could ask questions and view other games. Haha. Before that I just messed around wih the tutorials that gm had on the site for download and messed around a bunch. Ah, the good ol days. Gm has been with me throuh alot of stuff. Haha

Games: Shadow of the sea | Druknsmas Eve | LOST (alpha) | The Machine

Need epic game music? check out my soundcloud series EPIC GAME MUSIC

and give me some feed back :D

#91 shae15

shae15

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:17 AM

well i always wanted to make games but my programming skills were lite so i needed something easy and basic so one day while playing on the internet suddenly i stumbled apon a page called gamemaker so downloaded it but that was when gamemaker first cam out i was one of the first to beta test the program. 

GSW

#92 Floofpaws

Floofpaws

Fox

• GMC Member
  • 2161 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

I started almost 6 years ago in 6th grade when a friend told me about it. He sent me some of his games and I thought they were so cool at the time (they were actually pretty bad). My first game was a white screen with 4 blue balls that went in a random direction when you clicked them. I've made games almost every day since.

Edited by darkwalker247, 18 September 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#93 Viloen

Viloen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

Long time ago 2001 was an undergraduate. I used to program simple games in pirated copy of Q-basic 4.5 I kept on a Zip 100 disk. I cut my teeth on loading bitmaps, low-res graphics (QB's screen 13 mode was only 320x240 but had support for 256 colors), and keyboard trapping, and music (QB could generate square wave tones of different pitches, and play music stored in strings).

It was fun, but QB was way underpowered for games so through a search engine I found software called "The Games Factory" [TGF] which I used for about a year. TGF changed how I thought about games. It abstracted away all programming and I could focus on graphics and sound. I used it for about a year and it allowed me to learn more about game design. Eventually I tried making an Isometric game using TGF but it didn't have the power to do what I needed. So I searched and found Game Maker I can remember the version, but I remember no liking it, I'd become too used to TGF's way creating games.

So I gave up and tried "Multimedia Fusion" [MMF] also from the creators of TGF it was more powerful, but still too cumbersome for an isometric game. Some time passed and eventually I forgot about GM. Eventually still unhappy with TGF I tried Game Maker not realizing I'd tried it before. That time I tried version 5.1, its possible the first time perhaps I'd found GM2 or GM3 because the interface was different enough that I didn't event realize I was using the same software.

GM5 was exactly what I was looking for it abstracted away the graphics and audio, but I could still code, and it was fast. I remember people complaining about the speed, I would think obviously they've never used TGF. it all started there. I loved it so much that I bought a full version. My first major GM5 project which got carried through to version seven still exists on this forum.

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=220912

Anyway its been a wonderful time programming in GM all of these years. Now hopefully to finish something!

flya.png

#94 The Pancake Guy

The Pancake Guy

typical aussie

• GMC Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Very simply, back when I was 11 years of age I wanted to make a game and googled "game maker".

G'day.

Gr8 Code m8, I r8 a str8 8/8

if I helped, 1+ <3

#95 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

@#Pancakeno way! I did too haha. Actually though I first found DarkBasic, got confused then googled GameMaker. ^__^

<3 GM for being there for me after all the confusion, hell at a reasonable price too! Only $25 for GM8. Never once regretted

spending that $25. Damn it, YoYo has one satisfied customer!

Edited by FatalSleep, 23 September 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#96 primary686

primary686

Still learning code

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Cat Planet. I saw Cat Planet and thought: "how could I make a game like this?" Then I saw it was made in Game Maker 7... had it ever since.

dDGtYm5.png<< If I ask programming questions, it's most likely about this

#97 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

I think it was back in 04 when yahoo booters were the craze. I read somewhere that they were being made with Visual Basic and I wanted to give it a whirl so I waited (very very patiently) for six days downloading a pirated copy of VB6 from limewire on a dial-up connection.

I started playing with it. Loved it. Made a little pacman guy move around with the keyboard. Even hardcoded his wall collision points in an entire room before I realized VB6 wasn't meant for game development. But I had fun doing it and hit up one of the search engines. Found a site with tons of links to free software. That's where I found GameMaker. :)

#98 Tulloch

Tulloch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

I can't remember what version it was, I do remember that it was back in late 2003/Early 2004. I wanted so bad to make a game, even to the point where I was willing to jump into C++ before I knew what it was. After stumbling on all sorts of engines, Blitz, Rad3D, Clickteam, RPG Maker, Adventure Maker... etc.. I came across "Game Maker". I was willing to do anything to make a game so I stuck with it because it seemed to have great results along with a living community. I remember the original page with Mark Overmars' picture on it. I just stuck with it. It turned out great. It's near second nature to me to work in this program and now that it's become more powerful makes me a happy person.

JOIN THE INDIE GAME DEV COMMUNITY.
TullochCo.com -- Help. Create. Learn & Connect Indie Developers
http://forums.TullochCo.com

#99 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

My cousin was using it years back and I was introduced to it that way; whenever I visited them I would see the games he was making (they lived - and still do - a fair distance away). I didn't ever properly use GM until I got my very first laptop of my own back in '08. First GM version I ever used was GM7. Upgraded to GM8 when that came around. Then GM8.1 etc etc. Then Studio. It always was a hobby of mine, but more recently after I went to university, my time for it vanished so I became a lot less active in the community. Now that I've graduated and have some spare time again (unfortunately due to currently being unemployed), I want to try to make an Android game. I also want to join in with the Jam #12 (last Jam I was able to take part in was #3). Game development is never going to be a career of mine, as I'm just not mathematically minded enough (I'm pretty terrible at maths actually), which is why I used GM in the first place and why I will continue to use it due to its ease of use.

Edited by Cakefish, 20 October 2013 - 01:02 PM.

2a7ubuv.jpg

#100 NukeTheFox

NukeTheFox

Isaiah 11:6

• GMC Member
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

When I was small I used to play a lot of Game Maker games (back then we used Windows 97), Reflexion and Cool Dog were my favourites. 

I wanted to make my own games but I had no idea how to run the internet, because I was so young that time and my parents didn't want me to accidentally access a wrong site. 

I later discovered that my computer had Game Maker 5 the whole time. (._.') 

Spoiler

Edited by NukeTheCat, 22 October 2013 - 04:14 PM.