#1 Dan1

Dan1

As Cool As Custard

• GMC Member
  • 1901 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:35 AM

Hello GM'ers :)
So, for some of us it may seem like a distant memory, for others it may still be fresh in your mind
But my question of interest is...
HOW did you find Gamemaker?
What made you find this software over all the other's out there?
How did THIS particular game creation software become the one you use?
Was it through a friend... a recommendation... a school project...

Personally,
I decided one day I wanted to learn how to create games and just google'd and google'd, downloading all sorts of tools, viruses, the works
I was young, viruses didn't seem to matter to me as much... and then I stumbled upon this one back in the days when it was still on the old .nl website

I gave it a shot and just kept working with it from there... that was back in 2004
And that's my story...
What's yours?
:)

- Dan -

xdatdz.png  2ypb5o4.png  oqhq4j.png

#2 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

I didn't find it, actually. Back in the day, my only "programming" experience was client-side web development (unless you include a failed attempt at learning DarkBasic). My grandfather knew about my web development stuff, so he sent me a link to GM's site (back before YYG) and said "Maybe you can use this?" And I have been using it ever since. That was back between the release of 5.3 and 5.3A, so whenever that was.

-IMP ;) :)

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#3 Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero

GMC Member

• 286 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:51 AM

I was working on a book report that our teacher said could be different (it could be a puzzle, a game, a video). My friend told me how he was using Game Maker to make his project. I got the Lite Version and I was hooked.

Although I still haven't used Pro Version because it's $40 now... <_<
Sincerely,
The Unsung Hero

Proud supporter of Gang Garrison 2

#4 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• GMC:Member
  • 1437 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:14 AM

Err.... about a year and a half ago i really wanted to make my own GTA type game, i searched everything, but then i found out Game Maker, i didn't know how to use it, i stropped, i got mad, i uninstalled it, but then a month later, i just wanted to make my own game, with any program, so i tried aload of different tools, viruses ect ect. Then i downloaded Game Maker again, and looked for tutorials on Youtube.

#5 JKratings

JKratings

GMC Member

• 31 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

Let's reflect back on those days in 2009, when GM7 was still the greatest, I was at my cousin's house and he showed me this amazing game design program, I ended up making 4 games that day (all of which had 3 objects), then I bought pro and it was all good from there.

#6 Dan1

Dan1

As Cool As Custard

• GMC Member
  • 1901 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

i found out Game Maker, i didn't know how to use it, i stropped, i got mad

Haha I've been there :) The frustration when I can't create the next amazing "big thing" after 30 seconds of jumping in the deep end, fun times :P

and fair play to you JK - 4 games a day!!!

Edited by Dan1, 04 July 2011 - 02:19 AM.

#7 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• 1437 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:19 AM

i found out Game Maker, i didn't know how to use it, i stropped, i got mad

Haha I've been there :) The frustration when I can't create the next amazing "big thing" after 30 seconds of jumping in the deep end, fun times :P

xD

#8 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:27 AM

Basically the same way as you.

I was bored one afternoon, thought it might be neat to make a game, then I google'd "game maker" and found YYGs, installed right away, made the catch the clown tutorial and then went on to the rest. After about 6 months of not learning anything and screwing around with tutorials, I stopped using it. Worst mistake I've ever made.

About a year afterwards, I decided to try it again and suddenly, I understood it! I started a lot of ambitious projects, but never finished them. I screwed around with game development for another year, which brings us to a week ago.

One week ago, I finished a game. Two and a half years since I first found GM, I finally finished one. I decided to try rapid development, and made a weird little 'game' in 4 hours. The next day, I finished another, made in 2.5 hours. Now I'm updating that second game, titled 1000 Arrows, because I love the concept and I thought I could do more with it.

So that's my story.

Edited by Theophilus, 04 July 2011 - 02:28 AM.

#9 Dan1

Dan1

As Cool As Custard

• GMC Member
  • 1901 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:31 AM

Basically the same way as you.

I was bored one afternoon, thought it might be neat to make a game, then I google'd "game maker" and found YYGs, installed right away, made the catch the clown tutorial and then went on to the rest. After about 6 months of not learning anything and screwing around with tutorials, I stopped using it. Worst mistake I've ever made.

About a year afterwards, I decided to try it again and suddenly, I understood it! I started a lot of ambitious projects, but never finished them. I screwed around with game development for another year, which brings us to a week ago.

One week ago, I finished a game. Two and a half years since I first found GM, I finally finished one. I decided to try rapid development, and made a weird little 'game' in 4 hours. The next day, I finished another, made in 2.5 hours. Now I'm updating that second game, titled 1000 Arrows, because I love the concept and I thought I could do more with it.

So that's my story.

Fantastic story :D and congrats on your first game, surely the first of many! ^_^

#10 Awesomeness

Awesomeness

GMC Member

• 367 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:54 AM

Well, one day, I was feeling adventurous and eager to try something new, so I took a minute to think of something I'd NEVER DONE BEFORE, and "make a video game" popped into my head. After several hours of Googling, downloading programs, trying to decipher said programs, and going back to Google, I found Game Maker. I did the Click the Fruit tutorial, messed around a bit, and discovered that I actually understood what the heck was going on. (Keep in mind that I had, like, zero programming experience at the time, so it was quite a learning curve :))

Three days later, I'd already left Drag n Drop behind in favour of GML and coding, and I had a game going. (Yeah, I learn pretty fast actually.) I was pretty amazed to be able to run a working program and think "OMG, I made this!!!"
I've enjoyed it since, and it has actually helped me with learning other programming languages as well.

So, that's my story. Hope you enjoyed reading it. :)

- Awesomeness

#11 Titanium

Titanium

the perfectionist

• GMC Member
  • 1166 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:13 AM

I live in the typical suburbia. I went to school, came back, watched tv and played games and repeat. I couldn't afford to buy many games, and my family's ridiculously strict about entertainment like that so I couldn't play games on the weekdays... sucks right. Anyways, one day I decided screw it, I know enough about games to make one, and went to google.

I found GM 6.1 and made my first D&D game. I was pretty slow on the uptake because it took me a whole month to move up to GML. I only moved up because I found the official tutorials. When I was creating my games, and was coming accross problems and overcoming them, I REALLY felt like I was achieving something so I was spending 5-6 hours a day designing.

When I found the forum two months later... TRUST ME, I was an internet noob...(strict family.) I posted really ridiculous topics and the old GM members helped me learn the wonders of the GMHelp document. After that, I read through the whole thing and did my best to use each and every function, building my technical knowledge and that's where I still am today. I haven't graduated from creating fan-games to full on Indie games.

I still need to learn how to use surfaces efficiently, so I can get interesting graphical styles, and get the hang of using scripts.

Since my first programming language is GML, and I was never taught how to program until recently in college, I never understood, why people created scripts in their examples. Now I do, and boy... all the games that I stopped midway earlier was just the result of messy programming, which would've been fixed if I used the script system more.
ljrk.png
Please Play My Games.

#12 sheepmanbuddy

sheepmanbuddy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 11 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:53 AM

One day(more like a year) I just wanted to make a game!
My head was filled with ideas, but I didn't have anything to put on :(
So after a few minutes on google
I found yoyogames
and installed game maker!
I am an Posted Image in the GM Quiz!

#13 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:03 AM

School project. It was the most fun I ever had at school; mostly learned D&D, my interest for it went beyond school, and my teacher sucked. So, I had to teach myself (and ask the this forum). Back then, I looked like a complete noob with no grammar/spelling skills. Since then, I've been slowly learning more and more about GM; but I've decided to fall short of all of it, and go to VSC++ (I don't understand primitives, D3D, or mplay).

Overall, I started at GM6.1, and mostly stopped at GM8.1.

-MoK

Did I help you? If so, help me by pressing the + button above here.

bannersyd.png

banner22z.png

#14 ani12321

ani12321

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

In the time I found GameMaker I was having a little knowledge of VisualBasic 6. One day I was thinking: what if I try to make a game?
Then I googled typical question: How to make a game?
I downloaded a lot of programs including gamemaker7 even thought I used it days after I downloaded it. First impression was very good especially with the rooms. Then I complete some tutorials I found on the web.
Since then GM is the program make my games and I love it for it's easy of use, low price and it's capability.

#15 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

Back in the day, my only "programming" experience was client-side web development (unless you include a failed attempt at learning DarkBasic).

Same here, but my failed attempt was VB.Net, and I searched "how make game" on Google. I'll never forget that day.

#16 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

Back in the days of yore, I was using my zx-spectrum to program using BASIC... this then progressed for a few years to a C-64 and Amiga, until grown-up life intervened! Then a few years ago I remembered how much fun I had making my own games and investigated systems available now. After a look around the net I stumbled upon GM and said "Oh! that looks easy!". I was wrong... it was a damn sight harder than I thought but it WAS fun, so I stuck at it and here I am today, still using it and occaisionally making a game or two!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#17 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

Well, i was like fifteen and i had no internet at home, so i tended to play lots of games in consoles and PC (Thoose old Sega's and PlayStation 1 rocked out!) and so one day i had no games to play, i went to a friends house and started to search how games where made.. unsurprisingly i found C++ and GameMaker, GameMaker caught my attention right away, so i downloaded it and installed it at home. Due to the lack of internet i was unable to seek for help and the tutorials where a maze for me, since i knew nothing about programming.. so i quit it.
I think it was a year later when i saw the installer rambling around my PC, and started using it again.. I downloaded 6.1, I joined theese forums, i started making crappy Space Invaders clones, then Pokemon clones, then some things more original, and so on until now.. :)

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.

#18 GloryAndBen

GloryAndBen

Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

I don't remember. I was eleven, I had a cold. I was bored. Internet was there. I've been fascinated with game development since I was a wee kid, though; my first real attempt when I was five, and I cut a circle out of my box of Frosties, punched a giant hole in the middle and stuck it in my PlayStation.
Green.

#19 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

HOW did you find Gamemaker?

My father had a copy of GM4 on a disk for some reason. At least, my memory says it was 4, I'd have to install 4 again to really know, though. :P

#20 Medusar

Medusar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1228 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

Read about it in some Dutch magazine, just after 6.0 was released. Not sure why the magazine was advertising GM (normally they only featured freeware), I suspect it might have been something to do with the fact that the creator of GM was Dutch too... Anyway you can guess what happened next.

Posted Image

Q: Why do programmers always get Christmas and Halloween mixed up?
A: Because DEC 25 = OCT 31

#21 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3345 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

Like most, I found the program through google ^^
That was many years ago... I was 11, I think, which makes it a little more than 7 years ago.
When I first found game maker I barely knew english, which is why I didn't join the forums before in '05, and then only to fix a problem I had in LibBuilder! biggrin.gif
I then quit for a while, but in 2008 I came back to these forums, and started developing all sorts of games and engines. Though, in all my time as active user, I've never finished a single real game... I guess I just like the process of making the engines.

Edited by TheSnidr, 16 August 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#22 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

Back in the days of yore, I was using my zx-spectrum to program using BASIC... this then progressed for a few years to a C-64 and Amiga, until grown-up life intervened! Then a few years ago I remembered how much fun I had making my own games and investigated systems available now. After a look around the net I stumbled upon GM...

Looks like you and I followed similar paths. Replace "zx-spectrum" with "TI-994a", and my story is the same as yours.

#23 Eddygp

Eddygp

Horizhite Games

• GMC Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

I was looking about downloading some type of game and found in the tenth page or more this 'Download Game Maker Pro now!". Then I said 'Wow! I can create games!'.
Once I got to the real link (which I had to search a lot to find it) I downloaded it.

I sucked during 2 weeks where I created games I am now embarrassed bout. Afterwards, I learnt GML, and started to make -again- unefficient codes with a lot of errors until I actually used it properly.

Then I left it during a few years and found out the GM8 was out. I got it and.. it's now.

Edited by Eddygp, 04 July 2011 - 06:18 PM.

#24 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3345 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

I was looking about downloading some type of game and found in the tenth page or more this 'Download Game Maker Pro now!". Then I said 'Wow! I can create games!'.

I sucked during 2 weeks where I created games I am now embarrassed bout. Afterwards, I learnt GML, and started to make -again- unefficient codes with a lot of errors until I actually used it properly.

At last I managed to create some decent games and even some very strange ones, but I could stop being called a Total n00b.

WHAAAAAAAT, you weren't perfect from the beginning, like everyone else?

Edited by TheSnidr, 04 July 2011 - 05:51 PM.

#25 Eddygp

Eddygp

Horizhite Games

• GMC Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

What on earth did you quote?

#26 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

I stumbled upon some freewebs website when I was in 4th grade, a low quality website about bikes or something.
Laughing at the poor website quality, I explored it and surprisingly found a page that said "make your own games! go to yoyogames.com".

Unusual way to stumble upon GM, I guess I would've stumbled upon it anyways later on even if I hadn't been to that website. -.-" But I guess I thank the random bicyclist.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tuts/Examples: Ultimate Weapon Arsenal(AI included) | Wall-Jumping | Plasma Pistol/Rifle Overheating System | Cash Register Example | Two Objects In One View
PM me if one or more of my posted examples have a broken link.

#27 masterm

masterm

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1107 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

I always wanted to make games because i felt that games did not deliver what i really wanted in games, but my family wasn'tm the richest so when i as 12 my mom baught a computer for me...i started playing only free games on miniclip,etc with the internet connection i borrowed from my aunt and after a while i played all online games(lol) so i remembered on my dream and i searched "google" for "how do i make a game" and afer a while i stumbled into gamemaker but i uninstalledit cause i though it did not work but i could not find anything else to make games mso i redownloaded it and started by changing pacman sprites color(and then i knew gm was the real deal)
If i helped you and you want to return the love or you just want to help someone then pleas like the Company i work for fan page by clicking here
It helps to motivate us to work harder on our project's and to achieve a better job everytime.

Posted Image

#28 Arial

Arial

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

How did you stumble into Gamemaker?

Someone pushed me into it. I did hit my head really hard on GM.
Screw everyone who puts my quotes in his signature to make fun out of me.

#29 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

My brother found it. At first sight it looked kinda crap with all those little icons. However the next day when I came home he had made a little game and showed me how he did it. I thought "oh this is just programming" and decided to try it too. That was somewhere near the end of 2005.

I don't really know where he found it though. But I'm sure glad he did :D

promo_briquidmini_500x150.png

#30 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

Some friends showed it to me in 5th grade because I wanted to make a game about a duck that shot thumbtacks out of its hands. (Yeah, the duck was supposed to have hands.)

-PF

#31 Fuzzle

Fuzzle

The Super Pickle

• 163 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

PurpleFuzzy showed it to me.

#32 MysticTrunks

MysticTrunks

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

I was using RPG Maker 2003 at the time and could not get my action combat system working(like seiken densetsu) than one of my friend's found game maker and well the rest is history.

#33 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1585 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

Looks like the majority of people posting in this topic are getting their rep up... :rolleyes:

I discovered Game Maker after I had a dream on a subject which I though would make a good game. In a few days I had all this concept art and stuff, motion paths, story and everything, so I googled 'game maker'. No prizes for guessing what came up. It was GM6 at the time, and I introduced it to a few of my friends. Together we stumbled through a series of cruddy, over-ambitious games which all ended up in failure.

After I realised that 1) I would never be able to make my unnamed 3D alien game in GM and 2) It was a bad idea anyway, I delved into the world of simple 2D adventure games. My first in this genre was Gemquest (which some of you may remember), which has subsequently been removed from YoYoGames.
Assorted Quotes:
Spoiler

My Forum Fic (currently on prologue + ten chapters)

#34 PrinceOfSorrow

PrinceOfSorrow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:21 PM

At 2005 after I got my personal computer, I decided to create games using any softwares for that purpose
I requested this from my friend at school, he gave me Rpg Maker (because i don't have net connection)
than my cousin came and gave GameMaker, he said he found it randomly at google, and may help me out to create games!
I tried to make platform game but i didn't success i quit quickly and got another software (the game factory)
i stuck with it the rest of summer, but failed again to make platform game with it, till i decided to gave
Game Maker another chance, and i love it, and i wish i didn't use the game factory and waste my all time with it
in the rest of summer back to 2005.

#35 CoderBlue

CoderBlue

GMC Member

• 668 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

I was in college at the time(2004) and my professor said we were going to be using a program called 'Game Maker' instead of the neverwinter nights engine. That made me happy because I didn't want to go to college to learn to make a mod, but a game.

GM was at version 5.3 then and progressed to 5.3a within the 15 weeks of the course.

#36 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

I fail to remember how many years ago this was, but I do remember that it was my friend who introduced it to me. Ha, the friend that showed me about it lied and told me that he created one of the example games you got with Game Maker... I could't use it back then though (and from what I recall, neither could he). I suppose a year later I started to develop games. Since then I must have developed soooo many games, but never publishing anything. To this day I genuinely can't remember every putting a game up to download, hopefully that'l change quite soon though :)

VIS Design - Quality Web Design & Development

#37 Jumpey

Jumpey

GMC Member

• 410 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:30 AM

I had already done some game making with The Games Factory and Blitz BASIC and then around seven years ago Game Maker 6 was featured in the magazine GBA World and that's how I started with Game Maker.

Edited by Jumpey, 08 July 2011 - 02:34 AM.

Game Maker 8.1 Standard @ Windows 7 x64

#38 fenyxofshadows

fenyxofshadows

coobie

• GMC Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:54 AM

My school actually used it for the end-of-year project. Being a regular nerd in 6th grade (6-7-8 middle school), I was looking through the files when I saw something called Game Maker 6. I copied it to my flash drive and decided to try it out in my free time. I did the Catch the Clown tutorial, and tried to make a real game with it; perhaps I was too ambitious? Although that didn't work, I learned a lot of the basic concepts of the Game Maker, but I stopped using it for about a year, then when I got my own computer, I decided to start messing with it again, and here I am... I've mostly been messing around and trying to see what the boundaries of Lite are, as I only have one completed game (and it isn't even GM Lite; I was a bad boy and pirated Pro Posted Image, but the past 9 months I decided to just use LitePosted Image)... though the iOS runner has gotten me interested in serious game development.

Make a contract with me and become a magical girl!

/人 ‿‿ 人\

#39 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:06 AM

Well at first I just saw it but didn't really use it (4?) by finding it listed in a website database under gamemaker.zip or something.

Fast forward an indefinite amount of time:
I played ROPW, found out it was made with GM. I recognized the name and tried it out(5.3?), and I got hooked and I signed up to the forums.

My memory's pretty hazy -- How dare you try to make me remember things. :mellow:

BRB 3 years for University

#40 Xardov

Xardov

Game Developer

• GMC Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:23 AM

My school was offering a game-making course that used GM. I didn't take the course, but I did buy GameMaker. One of the best choices i've made in my life. :D

#41 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

I'd have to say I had a super hard time finding Game Maker...

Back in the day, way back in February of 2008 (was that really 3 1/2 years ago!?) I decided I wanted to make a game for the PlayStation 2. I searched Google for "How to make PlayStation 2 game", "How to make PS2 game", "How to make MMORPG", and "How to make RPG". After a few days of searching at my library (for about 2 hours a day), I gave up and decided to search a more general term: "How to make a video game".

This didn't bring me much luck, however, as I searched day after day (literally) until after a little more than a week after searching and trying out programs, I stumbled upon a link on the 17th page of the Google search with the title "Make games with Game Maker". I checked it out and tried the program out. I couldn't figure out how to make anything work, I tried clicking everywhere and gave up. A week later I tried again and found the tutorials which lead me down a great path. A few months later, in June, I wrote my first line of GML. I didn't really understand it, and it was a while more before I actually started working in GML for my games.

Since then, I picked up C++ in September 2009, and have learned various things since then: HTML*, CSS*, JavaScript, PHP, AJAX**, jQuery***, C#, Java, Android SDK***, SDL***, ActionScript 3, FlashPunk***, and most recently have looked at the AMAZING HTML5* development.

*Not a programming language **Just a method ***A library

I wouldn't have ever learned any of these if I wouldn't have used Game Maker. Game Maker got me into a "GM team" which started learning C++, and since then, I've branched off and learned more than I ever thought possible.

That's my story! :)

Edited by BretHudson, 20 December 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#42 Eddygp

Eddygp

Horizhite Games

• GMC Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

Wow, Bret, could that possibly be bad? (except the days of searching and all that stuff...) That's incredible.

#43 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

Wow, Bret, could that possibly be bad? (except the days of searching and all that stuff...) That's incredible.

I may have exaggerated... I was trying to tell a good story. :P

But I will say the 17 pages of Google (this was still at the age where I had to check EVERY link on Google) was rather tiresome, and took ages to sort through. Glad YoYo Games did show up on page 17, although a month later they were the number one search result for the same exact search. <_< Oh well.

#44 smbmaster99

smbmaster99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

I am a huge Mario Bros fan, and was always looking for awesome Mario stuff. I stumbled across a Mario fangame website and played all sorts of fangames. I was amazed at how all the users there had made Mario fangames, as I didn't know making fangames was possible at the time. (This was somewhere around 2004-2005) Making my own fangame seemed like a nice idea at the time, but I was young and didn't think a whole lot back then so I didn't try finding a good game-making software.

Back in late 2007 however, two wires in my brain sparked together as I played a game that had the well-known "made with game maker 7" notice as it loaded. I searched, found, and downloaded it. After a couple days of messing around with it, I gave up for a while cuz my brain couldn't handle all the stuff I needed to know at once. About 4 or so months later, I found Hello's infamous SMB1 engine. I made a mediocre Mario fangame, but I was proud of it nonetheless.

That is how I got started with GM.

#45 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

In terms of how people physically (over the internet at least...), stumble into Game Maker will probably be through an encounter with Google. That's after all why they chose the name.

If you essentially mean why, then my own case is probably quite standard. I was going through a creative adolescent period where I wanted to make my own games, having played them for most of my childhood. After failing to learn C++ in 24 hours... (despite the heartiest claims of a book I bought!), I stumbled upon Game Maker and found that far easier to get into.

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#46 AlienEaters

AlienEaters

Met Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:06 AM

When I was seven My Friends were making a tv show and i was there Manager. They asked me to make a game for the tv show,so i looked up "game maker" and downloaded. After half a month I started using gamemakers 3d parts and loved it. I focused more on math and used them to create bigger 3d games. I heard unity made good 3d games so i downloaded it. I learned c# easily thanks to game maker and many other languages and worked like that for some time. I kept trying to make giant games but they all had lame ideas and i got bored of them. So I got back on game maker and looked the forms for a job. It was my first programming hiring. Before I had to make money of making websites and would always get bored with a game. Now other people hire me and give me the idea! None of this would have happened without gamemaker   :) Thanks for reading.

Edited by AlienEaters, 16 August 2013 - 05:06 AM.

Elodin - "Where does the moon go when it leaves the sky?"

#47 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

This thread has been dead for two years.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#48 Solidus

Solidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

I think I was 12 and typed "Make Games" or "Game Maker" into whatever search engine and GM popped up :)

#49 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• 2164 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

I think I was 12 and typed "Make Games" or "Game Maker" into whatever search engine and GM popped up :)

Same thing, except I was 10 or had just turned 11. 

:duck:

#50 Brawl

Brawl

Magnitude Games

• GMC Member
  • 1299 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

This thread has been dead for two years.

Still a good topic.

A friend showed it too me. After a few years I got internet service at my house and purchased GM7.