GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

Posted Image

Developed by
CrySet Posted Image Games

There's only a few sounds at the moment...
(download at bottom of screen)

BlockzBot Screenshots can be found at the download URL (bottom)

Latest video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZB0apbUJ_I
(Just a play through of the skirmish mode)

The Game...
BlockzBot defence is a tower defence based game with a new type of twist.
You play as a Bot (robot) in a world set in the future. The story is still being worked on and is likely to change. The main goal in each game is to survive a certain amount of waves, by either using your bot wisely, building towers/blockz or building units.

Features of the game:
~ The bot:

~~Can be played in a top-down shooter sort of style.
~~Has a lot of different purchasable upgrades (health, weapons, stats etc..)
~~Can collect different items

~ Enemies:

~~Currently around 8 different types of enemies
~~Some will directly attack blockz
~~Some will directly attack units/your Bot
~~Some are ranged, some are melee
~~Spawn from any direction outside the map area
~~Don't follow a path, they'll blast their way into your base

~ Blockz

~~Blockz can be purchased and placed adjacent to other blockz
~~Can be upgraded into different towers, or upgraded in general (stats)
~~Can be upgraded into defensive blockz (Large amount of health, protects towers and mainbase)
~~Can be upgraded into minn (the game currency) gathering buildings

~ Units

~~Currently only 2 types of Units (Fortress and Punisher)
~~Punisher is a small ship that deals heavy damage
~~Fortress is a large ship that deals heavy damage and has a large health pool

~ Spells

~~Spells can be purchased and unlocked in-game
~~There are currently 10 spells, 6 use minn, 4 use mana.

There is now an tutorial to follow in-game

Let me know what you guys think, give me suggestions, bugs, any idea's you might have, what works, what doesn't work. Cheers.

The game works best at resolution 1366x768

Posted Image

Versions:
v003 WIP ~ Under Development
v002 WIP ~ Released
v001 WIP ~ Released

Edited by beatson, 21 October 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#2 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

Quick update: A screenshot to show how the Abilities and Upgrades are coming along :)
outdated

Edited by beatson, 18 September 2011 - 01:07 AM.

#3 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

Another Update
Finished the Bot abilities, and they all work in game (released in v002).
outdated

Next Update will be...
I'll have completely (or made a start on) getting the Tower abilities sorted. I'll have also hopefully made a start on some working spells for the user to cast whilst in combat.

#4 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Update

Released a v001-5 to test the abilities section. Everyone starts with a large amount of ability points for testing purposes. You can spend ability points at the end of every wave.

#5 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:45 AM

Quick WiP version change (v001-7)

Added another type of enemy to test. This enemy will deal damage to both your blockz and your bot. Quick screenshot:

outdated

#6 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:13 PM

Updated the version to WiP-0019 - Changed the design around slightly. Added a temporary static tutorial and you now also have to press "insert" to enter the abilities section. Removes the "annoyingness" of being forced onto the screen.

Edited by beatson, 08 July 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#7 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:16 PM

Seems cool. I'll try then edit.

Edit:
Okay... I was actually gonna put this in a new post, but I didn't want to seem like I intended to try this then never came back, so I edited lol.

So I played the new version just now. Pretty cool. I really like the little graphical things, especially the mouse cursor and the "constructing wall" flashy effect. It's nice to be able to choose the screen resolution too.
So the story is pretty neat, there's a lot of text, but not too much. I think it would be a bit better with pictures to illustrate it rather than just that one screen, especially since you seem to be good with graphics and stuff.
I also like the idea that you can attack with the robot and the towers at the same time, and that you don't necessarily know which way enemies will come from, so that's going to be interesting to see where you can take it.

Some suggestions:
=== It's hard to hit the "New Development" tab without scrolling upwards.
=== Make Escape go back to the menu first instead of just quitting the game.
=== You should be able to click and drag in a larger radius around the bot, or click on the bot then click on its destination to move. It sometimes took a couple of tries with the way you have it set up.
=== There should be some way to skip the entire opening sequence and not just the tutorial. (I know it takes five seconds of clicking to skip the story, but you know what I mean, right?)

Anyway, it was quite fun. Nice job.

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 15 July 2011 - 03:40 AM.

#8 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Just wondering why my game isn't getting many comments.. Is the file size too big? Is it still too un-finished? Could I get some feedback please, positive or negative?

#9 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 457 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

Yeah I'll play + feedback. I'll edit in a bit.

EDIT:

Well, I read through the story, instructions etc, and the first thing I'd say is that all the writing is too small - I found it genuinely difficult to read. I think you should break the instructions down into a tutorial - basics, placing stuff, etc.

Secondly, you said that the screen resolution should be 1366x768. My computer screen isn't big enough to do that - you need to shrink that down a bit, I think.

Thridly, (this may have been my fault, or I misunderstood something) but the mouse couldn't move to the right hand side of the screen and I therefore couldn't do anything...? There seemed to be something happening off-screen, but I couldn't see it for this reason.

You need to fix these bugs if you want people to play and comment.

I'm sorry - it's all probably my fault, or I've misunderstood, but at the moment I cannot really feedback on your game as I don't think it was functioning properly, probably due to the screen resolution.

I'll give more feedback when you update the game again.
JUN

Edited by junhalestone, 10 July 2011 - 12:33 PM.

#10 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

Yeah I'll play + feedback. I'll edit in a bit.

EDIT:

Well, I read through the story, instructions etc, and the first thing I'd say is that all the writing is too small - I found it genuinely difficult to read. I think you should break the instructions down into a tutorial - basics, placing stuff, etc.

Secondly, you said that the screen resolution should be 1366x768. My computer screen isn't big enough to do that - you need to shrink that down a bit, I think.

Thridly, (this may have been my fault, or I misunderstood something) but the mouse couldn't move to the right hand side of the screen and I therefore couldn't do anything...? There seemed to be something happening off-screen, but I couldn't see it for this reason.

You need to fix these bugs if you want people to play and comment.

I'm sorry - it's all probably my fault, or I've misunderstood, but at the moment I cannot really feedback on your game as I don't think it was functioning properly, probably due to the screen resolution.

I'll give more feedback when you update the game again.
JUN

Thanks for the feedback. You didn't miss anything and the bugs weren't your fault. I assumed the game would play the same in all resolutions, but I suppose that isn't the case :) I'll stick an options room in there to change the resolution as soon as, and then update it. That should fix the text size as well :) and as for the tutorial, they're simply there as a place holder for now. I'm working on a better tutorial at the moment.

Thanks

#11 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 457 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

That's OK.

An options room would be good. OK. I'll play once you update it.

JUN

#12 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

I'v added a simple 'Choose Resolution' Screen when the game first starts. An update with a tutorial will come soon :)

Let me know if there's still any issues with the resolution. I don't own a smaller screen that 1366x768 so it's difficult to test.

Cheers.

Edited by beatson, 10 July 2011 - 09:37 PM.

#13 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:36 PM

Released WIP 002. Contains a slightly better tutorial, a map room and 3 campaign levels + bug fixes/new graphics :)

#14 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:03 AM

This is a lot of fun! One note - maybe add what the side things are, i didn't realize what was my money count for a while - should clarify this. Otherwise great job I can't wait for you to finish it.

I can write you a review - do you have a sandbox profile with your game uploaded?

If not thats fine :)

Also if you have some time check out my game too: SBX just a few threads down

Edit1: Oh gawd I just beat the demo... this game is hard! One gripe i have is that rockets are WAY too inaccurate - they miss so often that I lose so many defensive blocks - having them smart target tanks would be nice and maybe they can fire a little faster so that they hit more often : / they just MISS so much... like... shouldn't these towers have smart targeting this is what 2060? XD haha but FUN FUN FUN i like the new spin on TD

Edited by wakeskater_X, 13 July 2011 - 12:48 AM.

#15 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

This is a lot of fun! One note - maybe add what the side things are, i didn't realize what was my money count for a while - should clarify this. Otherwise great job I can't wait for you to finish it.

I can write you a review - do you have a sandbox profile with your game uploaded?

If not thats fine :)

Also if you have some time check out my game too: SBX just a few threads down

Edit1: Oh gawd I just beat the demo... this game is hard! One gripe i have is that rockets are WAY too inaccurate - they miss so often that I lose so many defensive blocks - having them smart target tanks would be nice and maybe they can fire a little faster so that they hit more often : / they just MISS so much... like... shouldn't these towers have smart targeting this is what 2060? XD haha but FUN FUN FUN i like the new spin on TD

Ah of course, I forgot to add what the currency was in the tutorial! Oops.

No, I don't have a sandbox profile :/

I intended the first couple of levels to be easy, and then the game to start getting a little more difficult at level 3 onwards.

Did you manage to upgrade the Bot a few times?

Haha, the rockets are designed to miss quite frequently, this is because of the amount of damage they do. But if you upgrade the rocket towers past level 3, they get heat-seeking missiles :) I might move this down to maybe a level 2 upgrade? or reduce the cost of upgrades. After playing it quite a few times myself, I'v noticed that I don't get to upgrade towers that often because of the cost :/

Would you mind commenting on what the game looked like in your screen resolution? I'm finding it difficult to test properly.

I'd be grateful if someone could post a screenshot of what the 'Abilities and Upgrades' room looks like in a lower resolution than 1336x768.

Cheers :)

#16 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

Yeah moving the heatseaking missiles to level 2 would be a lot of help, yea i upgraded my bot as much as I could and I did beat all the levels available but I mostly got money upgrades so I could build more towers, maybe I should have upgraded him to tank a bit more damage cause at level 3 he was almost getting 2 shot by tanks XD, or better speed to strafe the bullets

#17 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

Made a few chances to the game graphically (level designs, new home screen etc). Added a new enemy to test and also changed a few things round (like cost of tower upgrades etc). + A new level (with the new enemy in).

Screenshots of low resolution monitors are still needed :/

Edited by beatson, 15 July 2011 - 12:27 AM.

#18 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:05 AM

Seems cool. I'll try then edit.

Edit:
Okay... I was actually gonna put this in a new post, but I didn't want to seem like I intended to try this then never came back, so I edited lol.

So I played the new version just now. Pretty cool. I really like the little graphical things, especially the mouse cursor and the "constructing wall" flashy effect. It's nice to be able to choose the screen resolution too.
So the story is pretty neat, there's a lot of text, but not too much. I think it would be a bit better with pictures to illustrate it rather than just that one screen, especially since you seem to be good with graphics and stuff.
I also like the idea that you can attack with the robot and the towers at the same time, and that you don't necessarily know which way enemies will come from, so that's going to be interesting to see where you can take it.

Some suggestions:
=== It's hard to hit the "New Development" tab without scrolling upwards.
=== Make Escape go back to the menu first instead of just quitting the game.
=== You should be able to click and drag in a larger radius around the bot, or click on the bot then click on its destination to move. It sometimes took a couple of tries with the way you have it set up.
=== There should be some way to skip the entire opening sequence and not just the tutorial. (I know it takes five seconds of clicking to skip the story, but you know what I mean, right?)

Anyway, it was quite fun. Nice job.

TheUltimate

Thanks for Playing :)

I was trying to add a lot of small graphical effects, so I'm glad someone noticed a few :)

As for the suggestions:

You can press 'B' as opposed to clicking 'New Development', but I forgot to mention that in the tutorial. I suppose it is a little hard, but in my current version I'm going to move it about, along with the entire HUD I think, need to make space for some freeze spells etc :)

The escape button problem is a good suggestion, not on the top of my priority list though :)

Aye it is difficult to click and drag the bot, thanks for pointing it out. I'll try and make it easier to click for the next release.

I'v fixed the last suggestion now, added a skip button like the ones for the tutorial.

Thanks for the suggestions, do you mind me asking what screen resolution you played in? And whether you think it might be better to add a few more options of resolution sizes?

#19 Watzels

Watzels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

criticism needed

I love an open invitation to criticise someone's hard work. There was not much to criticise since I only ran the game for a few seconds. I love GM games that allow you to play in windowed mode. Testing someone's game while having another game up while listening to music is quite fun. Being forced to play in full screen (those small graphics stretched to fit my monitor) just forced me to hit random buttons to try and get a windowed mode. Well it wasnt long before i found a button called "esc" that got the job done close enough. I was able to go back to my music and my other game and browsing the forums to find the next game to test out.

So i ask you, please add and option for windowed mode (while your adding options ad the option to mute the sound if its not already there, and by mute i mean turn volume down various levels to the point where its completely off).
Just think, if i could drag that out for that long, just think how much i could have written about your game.

#20 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

criticism needed

I love an open invitation to criticise someone's hard work. There was not much to criticise since I only ran the game for a few seconds. I love GM games that allow you to play in windowed mode. Testing someone's game while having another game up while listening to music is quite fun. Being forced to play in full screen (those small graphics stretched to fit my monitor) just forced me to hit random buttons to try and get a windowed mode. Well it wasnt long before i found a button called "esc" that got the job done close enough. I was able to go back to my music and my other game and browsing the forums to find the next game to test out.

So i ask you, please add and option for windowed mode (while your adding options ad the option to mute the sound if its not already there, and by mute i mean turn volume down various levels to the point where its completely off).
Just think, if i could drag that out for that long, just think how much i could have written about your game.

You'll be happy to know that there isn't any music/sound for the game yet, so you'll be able to listen to your own music just fine. And instead of hitting random buttons to find windowed mode, try the GM default (F4).

Thanks for the feedback.

#21 Watzels

Watzels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:54 PM

f4... Awesome to know.

The game is quite well polished and looks good. I managed to finish the demo.

The camera system was a little annoying. Felt to sensitive... and the button to create new developement was in a terrible spot (maybe theres a shortcut key that i missed when i skimmed the tutorial).

One of the most promising looking game maker games ive played in a long time. Keep at it.

#22 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

f4... Awesome to know.

The game is quite well polished and looks good. I managed to finish the demo.

The camera system was a little annoying. Felt to sensitive... and the button to create new developement was in a terrible spot (maybe theres a shortcut key that i missed when i skimmed the tutorial).

One of the most promising looking game maker games ive played in a long time. Keep at it.

Thanks :) I'm addressing the new development button issue, and also now that you've mentioned it, I'll address the camera system. You didn't miss the shortcut in the tutorial, I forgot to put it in there :/ Pressing 'b' shortcuts clicking 'New Development'.

Thanks for the playing/commenting

#23 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

Update

~Added a new level with new design
~Added a 'Mine' Spell.
~Added an 'EMP' Spell.
~Added a new enemy
~Fixed a resolution problem

Edited by beatson, 18 July 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#24 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:33 AM

:o New Stuff!!! Goodie!

btw - LvL 2 is out for SBX :D

#25 Dylan93

Dylan93

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

This is a great demo, only sometimes scrolling up doesn't work...

However:

Good graphics, I like the style.
I love the simple yet appealing menu with the particle background.
Original gameplay with a tower defense twist, you got some ideas from Supreme Commander ? Hehe.

Im sure you can something out of this, I know I will follow it :)

- Dylan

#26 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

However:

Original gameplay with a tower defense twist, you got some ideas from Supreme Commander ? Hehe.

- Dylan

Can you elaborate on "scrolling up doesn't work"? What maps didn't it work on/what screen resolution are you using?

I'v genuinely never played Supreme Commander, I'v Google'd it though, and I might download the Demo to see if I can get any idea's from it :)

Cheers.

#27 Dylan93

Dylan93

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

However:

- Dylan

Can you elaborate on "scrolling up doesn't work"? What maps didn't it work on/what screen resolution are you using?

I'v genuinely never played Supreme Commander, I'v Google'd it though, and I might download the Demo to see if I can get any idea's from it :)

Cheers.

What I meant was, sometimes I can't move the view up, I position the mouse at the top or even out of the window but the view won't go up.

#28 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

However:

- Dylan

Cheers.

What I meant was, sometimes I can't move the view up, I position the mouse at the top or even out of the window but the view won't go up.

Thanks, I'v noticed a couple of view errors when I was de-bugging it that hadn't come up before, but they're already fixed ready for the next version :)

#29 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

Uploaded a new version:

~Fixed the view errors.
~Added some new effects
~fixed a few bugs
~Added a new block, the Amplifier