I put this on hold for school but I am about to have a break so I am going to resume work on this...
with my last version of the game,
one thing a lot of people (including myself) complained about was the fact that ms could boost on land too freely. You could fly around the whole time dodging bullets....
as I posted above this is still pretty much the current game
This time I have been trying to come up with a system which discourages players from boosting like this (on land) without there being too much of penalty.
To come up with this new system I have been watching the shows One thing I noticed is that ms can boost on land easily but the draw back to doing this is that is becomes hard to aim when accelerating and decelerating at high speeds and if you land to fast you need time to stabilize the ms.
(to be honest im also taking a que from GTA gears of war and smash bros)
To fix this I am making the following changes to the game:
- holding w will make you walk
- tapping w will making you run GTA style
- tapping w to a correct beat will make you sprint fastest (allows for skills)
- pressing space will allow for minimum thrust
- holding w and pressing space promptly after will allow for maximum thrust (like power hit in super smash bros 64)
- the faster you press space after w the more thrust you will use and the faster you will go
- the higher the speed you are going the sloppier the landing will be
- the speed of acceleration and deceleration will accent short takeoff and landing animations which negatively affect aiming
- tapping A and D at right beats will allow you to walk off a sloppy landing or break neatly so you can shoot or run in a shorter amount of time.
- buildings can be used as cover and for stopping sloppy landings
- you can grab buildings to stop you but at high speeds you will damage them
- sprinting and breaking will cause more collateral damage so you may want to hover and walk slow when fighting in ally territory
in making these changes my goal is to add a little more skill and strategy to movement and to connect the keyboard to the ms further to make the player feel like they are really in control. For example tapping w once will make the ms complete a full step and once you master pressing w to the beat each step will match the button press. This is also what I intend to do for breaking. Melee moves will also be timed to this beat system.
To make the player accustom to this there will be tutorials mixed in throughout the single player missions. For example in the first level when the player takes their ms out of a hanger they will have to walk slow so (to not cause collateral damage) they gain experience with walking efficiently to a beat.
All that said new comers will not need to abide by the new movement rules but they will just move with a lot less precision than veteran players. This new system will also allow for ms to feel more unique without making things feel to foreign.
Tell me what you think and try the demo!
I value all opinions. Although this is based off an anime it should be fun for players foremost
Edited by ydawg314, 13 December 2011 - 04:17 AM.