• 7483 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

GMC Topic
YoYo Games Instant Play

The Machine
by Maarten Baert

Timeline:
1860 -- Etienne Lenoir, a Belgian engineer, patents the world's first internal-combustion engine.
1927 -- Georges Lemaitre, a Belgian physicist, proposes the "Big Bang Theory".
2011 -- Maarten Baert, a Belgian game maker, releases The Machine!

OK, a little over-the-top hype here. Maarten's game may not mobilize humanity like the gas engine, but in the world of Game Maker, it ranks very highly. The Machine was written by Maarten Baert, with help on level design by longtime GMC resident, Erik Leppen. The game was initially released for the 24th Game Maker Contest, held by the Dutch Game Maker Community.

The Machine is a physics-based construction/puzzle game, reminiscent of The Incredible Machine series created in the 1990's. The goal in each level is simple: get the ball into the cup. You do this by assembling various parts, and then letting your "machine" run. Some solutions involve constructing simple ramps so the ball rolls into the cup. But later in the game, the solutions become more complex, resembling actual machines with moving parts. That's all there is to the gameplay. What could be simpler? :whistle: ...right.

Design
When you first start the game, you're presented with menu options including HELP and SANDBOX. I highly recommend you read the HELP instructions, and then visit the SANDBOX. They explain the various machine "parts", and how to assemble them. In fact, the HELP page is so well-written, it's worth showing here (below)

Original size 800 x 600
Posted Image

This is an example of a well-written HELP page: short, clear and concise, with illustrations. Your next stop should be the SANDBOX. Here, you can practice a few minutes with the various parts, and get familiar with how to connect them to each other, and to the various attachment points.

Original size 800 x 600
Posted Image

In the sandbox level, you have an unlimited supply of the parts, so you can experiment with how they fit together. The parts include (from left to right) girders of various shapes and lengths, flexible ropes, springs, rigid connectors, and rivets. In the actual game, however, only a limited set of parts is available for each level. So you must be clever about how you assemble them. And frugal. Other tools, such as ramps, motors and anti-gravity blocks are introduced in later levels.

Perhaps the best designed feature of the game is it replay value. Once you complete a level, you can choose to save that solution and move on. But at any time during the game, or in another game session, you can return to a level and create a different solution. Perhaps you want a solution that's more elegant, or one that uses fewer parts. Or maybe you want to create a "Rube Goldberg" solution that's more playful. This is what gives the game such wonderful replay value.

The player's interface for this is absolutely wonderful. When you start the game, the levels you've completed are listed on the left, along with the next few uncompleted levels. You can select any particular level and view a "thumbnail" image of your saved solution. Or you can view the layout for the uncompleted levels that await you. Here's a screenshot of my current progress, showing a preview for a particular level:

Original size 800 x 600
Posted Image

It's the multitude of possible solutions that gives The Machine such appeal. For example, one particularly difficult level is "Elevator". In the GMC topic, Maarten says "Elevator is actually incredibly easy if you know how to do it. My solution uses just 5 parts. But there are also more complicated solutions, like this one:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz532M4TSlM

Sound and Graphics
The game has no background music -- a wise choice, as music would only distract. But there are a few well-chosen sounds that add realism. First, there's a "clanking" sound when you accidentally bang girders together during assembly. But the unexpected surprise is the loud "pop" when a rivet explodes under stress. This may happen when you assemble something incorrectly, or when your flawed design collapses like a house of cards.

The graphics are simple too, but well designed for a game like this: steel gray girders and rivets, straw-colored rope. Perfect. And according to the game credits, the textured background was created by David Gurrea, who offers his textures freely on the web.

ExtremePhysics Engine
Reproducing realistic physical interactions with complex parts is a difficult task. But Maarten has done this superbly well. In The Machine, he uses a DLL called ExtremePhysics, his own 2D physics simulation engine designed for Game Maker. ExtremePhysics allows you to use complex physics in your GM games without having to worry about the math involved. And by the way, ExtremePhysics is available for download at Maarten's ExtremePhysics Website. It's a "must have" for all advanced GML programmers.

But whether or not you try ExtremePhysics, try this game. It's well constructed (pun intended), easy to learn, has tremendous replay value, and GREAT fun. So build something, already!

Edited by chance, 24 June 2011 - 04:11 PM.

#2 RedOctober

RedOctober

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:49 AM

Well written review. I've played the game before and agree with many points in this review. However I disagree with it's replay value. Nevertheless, it is certainly a game maker gem.

#3 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21987 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:35 AM

Nice review chance! Hope you write more... As for the game, I agree with everything you say. Wonderful, mind bending, and a must for everyone that likes to stress their brains every now again!

Now to read your other review of "Magnet Ball" which I haven't had a chance to play yet!

#4 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7483 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

Well written review. I've played the game before and agree with many points in this review. However I disagree with it's replay value. Nevertheless, it is certainly a game maker gem.

Thanks. And I suppose the replay value depends on the player -- like any game, I guess. As I learned more skills, I found myself going back to previous levels to improve my solution. But replay value aside, I agree with you the game's a gem.

Nice review chance! Hope you write more... As for the game, I agree with everything you say. Wonderful, mind bending, and a must for everyone that likes to stress their brains every now again!

Glad you enjoyed the review. Yes, I'll write more. Let's also hope Maarten does the same. :) His games are wonderful.

#5 Maarten Baert

Maarten Baert

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 749 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

I would say it's a good review, but I guess I'm a bit biased :P. Anyway, I really liked it.

#6 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2548 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

with help on level design by longtime GMC resident, Erik Leppen.

Come on chance. I did one level. I don't even deserve being mentioned here. :D

Anyhow, glad someone reviewed this game :)

A few things to consider:

The replay value is a little more limited than you suggest because the way the game is set up, encourages you to use as few parts as you can. Creating a "rube goldberg" kind of solution is fun, but costs too many parts to be useful in a regular level. In fact only the sandbox allows for these things. In regular levels, saving as much parts as you can is the main challenge.

Also I don't think you should start with sandbox. The regular levels introduce things one by one so also without having played with the sandbox it's easy to learn.

Finally, notice that this game is even better if you consider the restraint that the Dutch GMC competition #24 enforced: the game only uses the left mouse button. Technically the game could be used on a touch screen. Or better yet: an electronic whiteboard.

By the way I can recommend ExtremePhysics to all advanced GM programmers too, it's not very hard to use and you can do cool things with it :D

#7 FakeKraid

FakeKraid

Total Fraud

• GMC Member
  • 58 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

Was this game inspired at all by Sierra's 'The Incredible Machine'? Because that was one of my FAVORITE games growing up. If it was, kudos to you, Maarten!

Naturally, kudos anyway for making an amazing physics engine and a fascinating puzzle game.

Edited by FakeKraid, 25 June 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#8 Maarten Baert

Maarten Baert

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 749 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

Was this game inspired at all by Sierra's 'The Incredible Machine'? Because that was one of my FAVORITE games growing up. If it was, kudos to you, Maarten!

No, the first time I heard about that game was after creating The Machine. It was inspired by Armadillo Run though.

Naturally, kudos anyway for making an amazing physics engine and a fascinating puzzle game.

#9 eyeCube

eyeCube

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

I really like this game. The mechanics are very cool, and the graphics are good.

I'm not very far yet but I particularly liked the level "Minimal." I believe I really achieved one of the most minimalist solutions, by using only one 6-peg beam.

I love the infinite possibilities and the difficulty of the game. This is a good review, chance, thank you for bringing the game to my attention.

#10 Swifty

Swifty

Shadow

• GMC Member
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

I remember playing this one a while back, It was very addicting and a very well polished game. Great review! +1

Swifty

Edited by Swifty, 22 June 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#11 meesterpickles

meesterpickles

GMC Member

• GMC:Member
  • 3 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

An excellent review for an excellent game! +1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users