49 replies to this topic

#1 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:03 AM

ONE PIECE TAG BATTLE

I have been working on something I havent seen in game maker for a long time if ever. A fan game based on the ever popular "One Piece". So what I have here is a test of the 3rd revision I've made, it's more of mix between Jump Superstars, Super Smash Bros, with a little bit of Melty Blood mixed in.

Resources
-Character Sprites from "One Piece Gigant Battle" for nintendo ds
-Hit Sparks from "Melty Blood Actress Again" for PS2

NEW VIDEO
- Portgas D. Ace Progress video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhCwUorMV8&feature=youtu.be

Trust me the game is much smoother than what the video is showing.

SCREENSHOTS

- Coming Soon -

CONTROLS
Player 1
Arrow Keys (Left,Right) - Movement
Arrow Key Up - Jump (Luffy can double jump)
Arrow Key Down - Attack Modifier

Light attack - A
Heavy attack - S
Block - Z

Special moves are done by entering special commands via Street Fighters style!

TEST VERSION(15mb) (24 November)
http://sandbox.yoyog...tle-mihawk-test

-Mediafire File-
http://www.mediafire...vq5j8ty5xc3ei9w

Please Enjoy and Give Feedback! :rambo

Edited by yingyay, 11 July 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#2 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1081 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Nice. I like it.
Your graphics are nice, the game is nice and polished, and I like the huge variety of attacks you get to do. Your sprites, backgrounds, and effects are awesome.
The tagging animation's nice how it is, I'd just suggest moving it up so it's at waist level instead of at their feet. Yeah, most of my suggestions are already addressed in your Things to Do list.
How's this game gonna work when it's done? Are you just going to go down the list of characters for each battle, or are you planning to have a story?
(You're the first to post on my game, and I'm the first to post on yours. I see a pattern here. :))

TheUltimate

#3 ken

ken

Game Maker Phoenix

• GMC Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

this looks awesome!! BUT how to select a character?? lol I looked up all the controls but nothing!..

#4 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1081 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

this looks awesome!! BUT how to select a character?? lol I looked up all the controls but nothing!..

There's a reason it's in his To-Do list...
Or do you mean the tag team switch? It's x.
Edit: I just noticed something. If you jump while standing between the end of the log and the dark tree behind it, the background resizes slightly. Does it happen to anyone else?

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 15 June 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#5 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

In my current demo, only Ace (who's going to be locked in the next demo) and Luffy can be chosen.
In my older version both 1st and second player have to chose their characters. 1st player presses enter

There's a reason it's in his To-Do list...
Or do you mean the tag team switch? It's x.
Edit: I just noticed something. If you jump while standing between the end of the log and the dark tree behind it, the background resizes slightly. Does it happen to anyone else?

TheUltimate

I have no idea why that happens to the resolution. I might just make the rooms smaller >_>
I plan on having a event mode where certain characters fight others like in the actual manga, but I want to polish the fighting system as much as possible before adding AI. I already redid this game 3 times and I think i'm going to stick with the way it works now. I plan on adding all the playable characters from the Japanese DS game One Piece Gigant Battle. (which is where i got the sprites from btw)

#6 ken

ken

Game Maker Phoenix

• GMC Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

haha I gave it another try. and it looks great :P I loved the combo system!

#7 Titanium

Titanium

the perfectionist

• GMC Member
  • 1138 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

Wow... just wow. This game has some serious potential. Keep working on it because I really like what you have so far.

#8 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

:D Thanks! Im working on Sanji right now, I'll update the thread when I complete his movesets.

#9 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Black Leg Sanji - %60 complete
Posted Image

The Fighting Chief of the Straw Hat Crew!

He is considered one of the "Monster Trio" of the Straw Hat Crew being one of the strongest on their ship along with Luffy and Zoro.

He is a combo character, with some of his specials having multiple links to build up damage rapidly. Here is just a few.

Down Special - Party Table Kick Course
- A mulit-hit special. He moves moves closer to his opponent during the initial attack. Different attacks are linked to this move, but the initial move has to connect first.

Posted Image
By yingyay

One Variation of a link - Concasse (ground)
This move does a few additional low damage and then a heavy attack that sends the opponent flying.
Posted Image

Back Special - Hooligan Flip
Sanji goes flying in an arc. This move has a few links depending on which button you press during the move.
Posted Image

Hooligan Flip Medium Link - Concasse (Aerial)
Sanji drops down and slams his opponent into the ground causing them to bounce of the floor.
Posted Image

A few fixes have been made since the last version
- More reliable air comboing for characters who can perform them
- Nerf on how many normal attacks can be canceled into each other
- Health Bars for both player 1 and player 2 fully functioning
- New hitstates
- Ace will be a hidden character and will have a few different moves, while the moves that stay will have changed a bit.

Next Showcase
- Tony Tony Chopper
- A super meter bar
- Character Portraits next to their respective health bars
- A new stage (actual related to One Piece)
- (Possibly) A beta character select screen

See you soon!

Edited by yingyay, 07 July 2011 - 12:10 AM.

#10 Titanium

Titanium

the perfectionist

• GMC Member
  • 1138 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:30 AM

Oh wow... still really really fun. If I could say anything i'd say to try and upload it to GMArcade cause I'd like to play it online, or use 64digits as your offline downloader.

Actually, you should look into your origins. I don't know but a few of them seem kinda off. It's just a pixel or two though so it's no biggie.

#11 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:39 AM

Yeah I got so caught up in the gameplay I forgot the origins a bit :P
I'll upload the demo onto the GMarcade tonight hopefully. (my internet connection isn't too great)
I'll definitely get that done this week while I finish up Chopper.

Edited by yingyay, 07 July 2011 - 12:40 AM.

#12 Titanium

Titanium

the perfectionist

• GMC Member
  • 1138 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:17 AM

Yeah I got so caught up in the gameplay I forgot the origins a bit :P
I'll upload the demo onto the GMarcade tonight hopefully. (my internet connection isn't too great)
I'll definitely get that done this week while I finish up Chopper.

BTW! Are you using surfaces to draw the healthbars, because they look a bit low-res. Not that that's a bad thing... I just kinda wanted to know.

#13 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:04 AM

I drew them myself in under 15 minutes, i just wanted to give that a try lol

It seems that ive been trolled tho
http://i.imgur.com/XbhgI.jpg
^^ This game is coming out in the fall and is gonna use the timeskip characters

Also, expect an update later today, I just finished chopper and a few other things.

#14 Titanium

Titanium

the perfectionist

• GMC Member
  • 1138 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

Yes.. it seems fate has trolled the living crap out of you. Glad to see a dedicated fan of one piece floating around the forum. Good luck.

#15 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:03 AM

Heh! Im excited tho, if i dont finish this game by then, then I can just add the timeskip characters in as unlockables. I was planing on giving some of the characters timeskip moves too!

On to the update!

Character Select Screen (beta)

Posted Image
I'm still working on the portraits artwork, I just wanted to get a concept on the screen. Oh and Chopper is here too!
When I get around to adding more stages I'll in corporate the stage select into the character select screen.

New Stage! Orange Town!

and

Tony Tony Chopper
- A reindeer who ate a devil fruit which enables him to transform into a humanoid. He is also the doctor of the Straw Hat Crew.
In this game he is a hybrid heavy weight character with low health. Don't underestimate him just because he appears small

Posted Image
Awww aint he cute........wait a minute.....something came...

-Neutral Special- Whoa!
Posted Image
A tube pops out of his backpack and explodes as it hits the floor blowing away opponents. So umm.....watch his step.

-Forward Special- Clothesline!
Everyone's favorite wrestling strike!
Posted Image
He's closing in!

Posted Image
Nuff Said!

Things done
- Chopper is playable
- Characters have their portraits next to their respective health bar
- Super meter has been added (doesnt work yet)

Next Showcase
- Roronoa Zoro
- Second Stage

Future Plans
- After finishing Zoro,Nami and Ussopp, I'll release another demo through GMarcade.
- Hopefully by then there will be at least 3-4 stages, a timer and two player mode.
- Won't happen right away since im coding and arranging sprites by myself.

See you soon!

Edited by yingyay, 12 July 2011 - 02:09 AM.

#16 UchSasuke

UchSasuke

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

Nice!! This is lookin' gorgeous man!!

#17 Titanium

Titanium

the perfectionist

• GMC Member
  • 1138 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:52 AM

Nice!! This is lookin' gorgeous man!!

You can say that 3 more times ::lmao:: No but seriously. Jaw-dropping potential.

#18 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

XD Thanks for the support guys! I can't wait to show you guys the next test version!

#19 Itachifan

Itachifan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:01 AM

I gotta say, just tried this out and while I can still it's a WIP, it's good. The collisions are perfect, and most line up with the attacks, the sounds are personally a little grating and is that what takes up so much space cause you may wanna change it, but I think someone already said that...add some music externally or something would help too, but that's just being nitpicky. Anyways, if you can add like a menu with an AI mode, or just something like a battle timer or whatever to make it like real fighting game with rounds and stuff it'd be perfect. Like the new NNW!(which sadly is on hold for a while) Sadly I just wish I knew more on OP, as I don;'t know much about it. (I've seen a few eps maybe two or three and it does look good, but so many to find...like 400, was it?)

Still keep gong with this as it has great potential and you could make something really great here if you tried hard enough. Maybe you should add like some forms or something like how...uhm...I really don't know the series well, but I'm sure they have transformations like they do in Naruto and Bleach and most other Shounen.

#20 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:15 AM

I wanna get the gameplay down to where I like it with the 6 characters im releasing in the demo before I get AI.
Though im not to savvy on AI coding but I have a couple ideas on how to work it.
Music is in but it would've made the game at least 19mbs so I left it out of the test version. (I cant find any One Piece midi's at ALL. So i have to use Ogg files :( )
I might let the hit effects be external so you can edit it to your liking.
I'm working on one more character before I start making a main menu, the idea is already in my head, I just gotta sprite it.
If I added transformation's technically........only like 1 character would have one that I can add without completely spriting a new character. There will be enough to make up for that tho, I promise.
Thanks for the review btw!

Edited by yingyay, 19 July 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#21 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

RORONOA ZORO and New Stage ARLONG PARK

Posted Image

Pirate Hunter Roronoa Zoro - Former bounty hunter, he is Luffy's first crew mate and swordsman in training. He uses his own unique sword style. Three Sword Style - Santoryu. He has a varity of attacks using either one, two, or three of his swords. He strives to become the worlds strongest swordsman and one day surpass Hawkeye Mihawk.

Gameplay style: Being known as part of the monster trio along with luffy and sanji, he is one of the strongest members of the Strawhat Pirates. His gameplay revolves around overwheming dash strikes and multiple hit moves. His moves almost always place him in a constant state of movement. Dont take your eyes off him for a second and never lose focus while facing him!

Posted Image

Special Move

Dragon Twister - Tatsumaki
A three sword technique. He performs a spining slash so violent, a vicious gust appears, launching his foes away!
Posted Image

Normal Attack - Down Heavy

Tourou - Climbing Tower
A rising slash with both swords. Delay pressing Heavy attack and it may be possible to air combo the opponent with normal air attacks
Posted Image

Outorou - Reply Climbing Tower
Pressing heavy again, immediately after Tourou, Zoro performs a follow-up attack slamming the opponent on the ground.
Posted Image

Notes
- Still tweaking some characters and physics
- Working on main menu
- Working on the official title
- Perhaps a new character select screen background?
- Working on Nami and ussop. Nami is just about complete and Ussop is being worked on, once they're finished I'll release a new test version.

#22 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1081 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

Cool! Keep the updates coming, I wanna play this game with health and some AI! (Or maybe some 2-player...)

Just a quick note, I think C would be better suited for attacking than Z. It's mostly because your left index finger is over it and you can hit it faster, and you usually hammer the attack button, while you tend to just hold the defence button down.

TheUltimate

#23 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

Cool! Keep the updates coming, I wanna play this game with health and some AI! (Or maybe some 2-player...)

Just a quick note, I think C would be better suited for attacking than Z. It's mostly because your left index finger is over it and you can hit it faster, and you usually hammer the attack button, while you tend to just hold the defence button down.

TheUltimate

I think I'll do just that! I might add an extra button for Super Moves and EX attacks. So a 7-button computer game.......
I'll add 2nd player mode before AI, just incase I gotta tweak the characters. I want all of the main characters finished before I release the next demo.
Im looking for ways to make the control scheme more convenient for keyboard users. AKA less buttons, so should I make tagging two buttons or leave it as one?

#24 Titanium

Titanium

the perfectionist

• GMC Member
  • 1138 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:09 PM

TheUltimate

I think I'll do just that! I might add an extra button for Super Moves and EX attacks. So a 7-button computer game.......
I'll add 2nd player mode before AI, just incase I gotta tweak the characters. I want all of the main characters finished before I release the next demo.
Im looking for ways to make the control scheme more convenient for keyboard users. AKA less buttons, so should I make tagging two buttons or leave it as one?

Two. That's how all of the MVC games have it and I have no problem with it.

#25 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:24 AM

All Righty!

No Character update but more of a technical update!

-Nami is still being worked on, she is kind of a headache to work on since she isn't a combo heavy or even a close range fighter. She is a trap character with a couple of tricks that link into other tricks.

-Sanji will be the first character I introduce "Grand Chaining" attacks. Stay tuned for the next update to see it in action (aka when I find a good video capture program)

- To reduce the number of buttons used in the game I switched Tag In to pressing Medium and Heavy Attack together.

- I have another issue as well. Does drawing multitple sprites at once with one object slowdown the game? The lifebars wrecked the FPS in the game, I hope its not just my computer tho <_<

- Stage Selection screen is almost done.

- Working on 2 player characters now.

#26 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:26 AM

i can't download the file, just gets an error at mediafire : /

#27 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:30 AM

Weird I just tried it out and the link worked 3 times. Try again, I'll re-upload a newer version soon if this doesn't work.

#28 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

Sorry for being gone so long, had a couple life things to deal with.
I have a working Ussop ready, so the strawhat crew is almost ready which means the next demo is almost ready.
-No AI yet
-Working on the main menu
- Switching all other character's tagging button over to medium + heavy attack buttons simultaneously.
- Still trying to optimize the game speed with the life bars. Might take away the super meter for now since no one can really use it right now.
- Expect a video update for a character or two this weekend!

#29 Titanium

Titanium

the perfectionist

• GMC Member
  • 1138 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

Sorry for being gone so long, had a couple life things to deal with.
I have a working Ussop ready, so the strawhat crew is almost ready which means the next demo is almost ready.
-No AI yet
-Working on the main menu
- Switching all other character's tagging button over to medium + heavy attack buttons simultaneously.
- Still trying to optimize the game speed with the life bars. Might take away the super meter for now since no one can really use it right now.
- Expect a video update for a character or two this weekend!

Are you using surfaces to draw the Healthbars and such.

#30 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

Im using the draw feature and a dll, along with a sprite........umm i dont really know what surfaces are plzdontshootme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users