28 replies to this topic

#1 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:17 AM

G'day everyone,

Space Crusade is a board game created by Milton Bradley and Games Workshop back in the 80s. Players take control of up to 3 space marine squads against the alien denizens of a space hulk. Each marine squad has a selectable range of weapons and equipment to help them in their mission.

Category: Tactical turn based top down game
File Size: approximately 30 Mb
GM Version: Studio
Vista Compatible: Yes
Changes Screen Resolution: No
Download Link: Space Crusade

Tags: BETA TACTICAL TURN BASED TOP DOWN COMBAT SCI FI BOARD GAME

And here is a screenshot:

scpic.jpg

During a mission, the game is fairly simple to play, left click a marine to use him. Left click an alien to shoot it, right click an alien to attack in hand to hand combat.

The game comes with 12 pre-made missions and includes a mission editor to create your own.
Please read the Instructions for detailed information on how to play the game.

If you find any bugs scattered here and there, please post them so I can fix them and make this a better game.

EDIT: New update 12 Jun 14

Cheers

LB

Edited by LurchBrick, 11 June 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#2 Metzger

Metzger

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

Nice to see you working on this aswell :)
Maybe do a Talisman remake someday :D

Wont test yet dont have the time and looks like it's still rather unfinished.
Will try later thou.
Thanks for starting to make this old game too :)

#3 turgon

turgon

VP Studios

• GMC Member
  • 476 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:41 AM

LurchBrick, you have done a nice job of pulling off an interesting concept. The gameplay was the best part (note that I have never played the boardgame); I enjoyed the interesting events that happen every turn.

Here are some suggestions to work on:
- Gameplay is fun, but too slow. Try programming all the AIs to move at once (an efficient and effective way of doing this is by having the AI calculate their moves, place a pip on the square they will move to, and then have them all use the mp_grid functions, avoiding movement pips as well as walls. PM me if you would like more details on this).
- Sound effects and music would add to the atmosphere and engage the player more
- Setting the game up was a little tedious (too much like setting up a board game). Perhaps leave the detailed settings to be changed if a player wishes to, but have a default set-up choice so that the player can just start playing if it is his first time.
- Also, the HUD is a little tedious. Add things like healthbars/ health circles around the units so that players can tell at a glance what status their units are at, without having to hover the mouse over them.
- You could make it expandable for even more players if you make colorizable sprites of the different squads and do a little programming. This could be a fun feature.

I look forward to seeing what you can turn this into. You have a good start!

#4 borut

borut

Courage Wolf Productions

• GMC Member
  • 1319 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

The game looks very nice and smooth! Keep up good work!

#5 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

One of the issues with turn based games can be their tendency to play slow. I have some ideas of how to speed things up but I'll PM you for info about the AI pathfinding tips.

More sound effects and music will definitely be added. Finding the best bit of music for a scene is where the trouble is. :)

Currently, the game is designed to play like the board game, hence the setup. You will find though that any order and equipment choices you make for a marine squad will be saved. The next time you go to use that squad, all your previous choices will already be selected.

The marine commander is the only marine that has more than 1 Health. I'll look at adding some kind of health bar to him.

Future updates will include the option for additional squads as well as a mission editor for creating your own missions.

I'm glad you are enjoying the game so far. There will be plenty of updates coming so keep an eye out.

#6 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1889 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

add game option: FAST MOVES

when checked, move unit directly to destination square (skip the pathing)

#7 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

A "Fast moves" option has been added and will be in the next update.

#8 novaz

novaz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 587 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

fantastic game :) maybe you can add the "points" of the players, because
you don't know if you have more points than the Alien player, and you
don't know if you win the game. Also how much "alien event" cards there
are in the deck, so you know how much time you have for the mission
(if the cards finish the marines lose the game).
Also the game crashes many times, sometimes the "end tourn" button
doesnt work. Anyway the work is very good :)

#9 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Could you give me some more details on what you mean by the game crashing? Did the game stop and go back to the Windows desktop? Were there any error messages, etc?

#10 novaz

novaz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

hi, there are game maker messages:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Mouse Event for Left Released
for object endturnobj:

In script createalieneventcard:
In script outofammo:
Error in code at line 27:

weapontype = marineid.weapon;

sometimes the end tourn button is not on the screen. The game doesnt crash
to windows. If i click "ignore" when there is the error message the game
doesnt work.

#11 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the bug update. It will be fixed in the next update.

Some other features that are coming:

New boards - The boards will become the same as the original board game, i.e. no one square walls and doors.

The Imperial Fist commander will get a Combi weapon button to change the modes of his weapon.

Marines will be able to open doors automatically when they walk through them.

More sound effects for dying and melee combat.

An options menu will be added. You will be able to change some rules of the game as well as have the option to reroll some weapon damage.

#12 Bezique

Bezique

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

On my phone looking at this right now. I'm excited to see one of my childhood favourite's brought back to life. I'll be sure to download it and play it when i get the chance. I'll post you some feedback when after i do.

#13 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

A new update is out.

Lots of bug fixes and a move to more closely match the boardgame.

Manually rerolling dice didn't make it into this update but it is a future addition.

There are now Marine squad buttons that must be pressed before you use that squad.

The Assault cannon now has a Fire button before it can be shot. Once this button is pressed, you cannot take it back. So no changing your mind and going for a melee attack instead.

An Imperial Fist commander with a Comb weapon card now has a button to choose which firing mode you want.

Added an option to speed up the alien movement phase.

#14 novaz

novaz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

very good work :) the new version is very good.

#15 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

After almost 3 years, I've gone back and finished off this game.

One of the main new features is the introduction of a mission editor. This required me to rewrite practically 70% of the code.

Please download, read the instructions and enjoy.

Download link is in the first post.

#16 psychomonster

psychomonster

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Wow I like this kind of games. Played Space Hulk for years with friends... Like it... 

#17 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2795 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

Nice!  Not my kind of game these days (I lack the patience) but I enjoyed the board game and the home computer version by Gremlin Graphics that I had on my CPC (also had the Hero Quest game too) back when I was a kid.  One particularly neat feature of the computer game (of both Space Crusade aaand Hero Quest) was that even on the 8-bit cassette versions the view could be switched from top down to isometric and back at any time.  The top down view showed more of the layout but the isometric view had the more satisfying looking sprites.   These pics from the 16-bit Amiga version.

http://www.lemonamig...ails.php?id=980

Edited by Carnivac, 09 June 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#18 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

There was a phase where this game became isometric. The isometric boards had been done as well as the space marines, however the artist who was drawing the sprites was unable to finish off the rest of the game assets that were needed and thus I had to go back to top down view only.

#19 cybearg

cybearg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

Do you have permission from Milton Bradley to create a digital version of Space Crusade or is this plagiarism?

#20 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:16 AM

I did not ask for permission as Space Crusade was owned by Milton Bradley and then taken over by Hasbro. The current patent held by Hasbro for Space Crusade is classed as abandoned. But if I get a cease and desist letter, I'll be sure to action it.

#21 Craig Davidson

Craig Davidson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

I wonder, is this game an open source game, with the ability to use code for other projects, and vice versa. Because I am working on a similar project like this, based around a similar design, like Advanced Hero Quest but with a sci-fi slant. If I am able to use mods to the basic engine, we could end up making a good engine. Who knows? It could be a good idea with the Mission Dreadnought and Eldar Attack expansions. If done with a "stone-soup" kind of strategy, it could just work.

Edited by Craig Davidson, 09 June 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#22 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2795 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

I did not ask for permission as Space Crusade was owned by Milton Bradley and then taken over by Hasbro. The current patent held by Hasbro for Space Crusade is classed as abandoned. But if I get a cease and desist letter, I'll be sure to action it.

Interesting point.  Don't Games Workshop own any of the rights since the original board game was based on their Warhammer 40k property?   They can be quite active in shutting down things they feel infringe on their trademarks. 

#23 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

I've seen the GW rights issue debated quite heatedly over the years in regards to a number of their games they collaborated with other companies, specifically MB (now owned by Hasbro), on. A prime example is HeroQuest which is clearly based on their Warhammer IP yet the term HeroQuest is now owned by the Glorantha RPG company - Moon Design publications.

At heart, this is simply a fan made attempt at bringing an out of print, 25 year old game back for others to enjoy. I've learned a lot from making it and hope to use that knowledge to produce HTML games based on original IPs.

Thanks for showing interest.

#24 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2795 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Ah well as long as you're aware of any potential issues.  I have a fondness for Space Crusade and Hero Quest because while I quite liked the models of Games Workshop I never actually enjoyed playing the real Warhammer games as such and found the more simplified and 'mainstream' Space Crusade and Hero Quest to be much more accessible and fun (as was it's intention... and it helps that the Dreadnoughts resembled ED-209 from RoboCop :P ).

Good luck with the game. :)

Edited by Carnivac, 09 June 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#25 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

Thanks. I do appreciate a good controversial debate every now and then but this isn't probably the place for it. :)

#26 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

As always, a few bugs sneak in when you're not looking. Latest version is "SpaceCrusade1_2".

#27 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

A new update is ready for download (link in first post - v1_3).

This update fixes a number of bugs as well as adding 2 new buttons that display your current objectives.

#28 edgartonian

edgartonian

GMC Member

• 5 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

This is actually amazing. Only played it briefly can't wait to get home and have a test at it. Great concept too.well done.

#29 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

After some playtesting by the kind folk here and elsewhere, more bugs have been squashed. Please download the latest version, 1_4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users