Photo

indie(Function); - Indie Power Mag Issue #3 + Broadcast #59 Out!

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#351 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

Overall, indie(Function); is kind of falling apart right now, and I'm really trying to keep it together. However, our fan base is starting to grow and this was the most listened to broadcast yet, so I refuse to back down. indie(Function); will continue, and I know we'll get our act back together and start having some good radio shows, a solid magazine, and more things to look forward to.

You forgot to mention you also have to finish making Click The Clown 2! Posted Image

Edited by orange08, 20 February 2012 - 11:56 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#352 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8047 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Generally, my advice is to abandon these radio shows and stick with the magazine. The mags were getting pretty good actually, and I enjoyed them. You put some effort into them, and it showed.

I'd love to get the magazine back on track, but we need a new designer. I refuse to use old designs, and I can't design, so we're pretty much screwed.

What's wrong with re-using designs? The magazine's value is informational content. So use an old design and nobody will notice -- or care -- as long you provide something interesting to read.

However, our fan base is starting to grow and this was the most listened to broadcast yet...

Don't equate listeners with fans. :tongue:

Just teasing.. but seriously, even at their best, radio shows can't compete with good magazines. But good luck with the show anyway. Just don't give up on the magazine.

#353 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

The next broadcast will be tomorrow! There is currently no scheduled interview as our next few interviewees are attended GDC. We will try to find one, but if not, we do have a plenty of content to keep everyone occupied.

Listen in live, tomorrow, at noon, US Central Time/GMT-6, at http://www.indieFunction.com/radio
-Bret Hudson

#354 sr101

sr101

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hey guys! New indie(Radio); broadcast will be going live in a half hour. Listen in at http://www.indieFunction.com/radio and chat with us in our IRC! (https://qwebirc.afte...s=indieFunction)

Edited by sr101, 03 March 2012 - 05:34 PM.

#355 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Thanks to everyone who listened in! We had 49 live listeners, great activity in the IRC chat, and an hour long broadcast! The recorded version of the show can be found at http://www.indieFunc...com/broadcast22.
-Bret Hudson

Edited by BretHudson, 04 March 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#356 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1929 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

Thanks to everyone who listened in! We had49 live listeners, great activity in the IRC chat, and an hour long broadcast! The recorded version of the show can be found at http://www.indieFunc...com/broadcast22.
-Bret Hudson

It was a good show Bret. :biggrin:
Please visit Andygames.com today!

#357 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

Last broadcast (#22) we did an interview with the creators of the IUPBundle with a special last-minute guest speaker Rhys Andrews (known for Caveman Craig and Teka Teki). However, this weekend we bring you the biggest interview we've had yet - Edmund McMillen from Team Meat. That's right. One of the minds behind Gish, Super Meat Boy, and The Binding of Isaac. We're pretty excited for it, and I'm sure SMB and TBoI fans are squirming at the thought.

If you still don't know who he is, check out this link: http://www.wikipedia...Edmund_McMillen

We are allowing people to send us questions to ask him. However, we are interviewing him before the show, in about 15 hours after this post. So, if you want your question to be answered, send me (Bret) a message, tweet @indieFunction on Twitter, or leave it in the topic itself.

Hope to see some big numbers in listeners this weekend! Until then,
-Bret Hudson ~ indie(Function); CEO

Edited by BretHudson, 28 March 2012 - 05:58 AM.

#358 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8047 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

we are interviewing him before the show, in about 15 hours after this post. So, if you want your question to be answered <...> leave it in the topic itself.

1. His last game (The Binding of Isaac) had some "interesting" Biblical themes. Could Edmund comment on how this came to be?

2. The Binding of Isaac had some disturbing Mother-Son relationships. Is this semi-autobiographical? (@Bret: If you'd rather not ask this personal question, that's understandable.)

3. In Braid, McMillen was the original artist. But the graphics were replaced by David Hellman's art before release. What's the story behind this?

#359 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

we are interviewing him before the show, in about 15 hours after this post. So, if you want your question to be answered <...> leave it in the topic itself.

1. His last game (The Binding of Isaac) had some "interesting" Biblical themes. Could Edmund comment on how this came to be?

2. The Binding of Isaac had some disturbing Mother-Son relationships. Is this semi-autobiographical? (@Bret: If you'd rather not ask this personal question, that's understandable.)

3. In Braid, McMillen was the original artist. But the graphics were replaced by David Hellman's art before release. What's the story behind this?

We asked all of these questions! Thank you very much!

The interview will air over our live broadcast tomorrow at noon US Central time. Stay tuned into our Twitter feed for updates before the show, and listen in to it via http://www.indiefunction.com/radio.
-Bret Hudso

#360 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

how is this magazine any different from the rest of the of gm indie magazines?

Assuming I helped you out in a questions and answers topic won't you return the favour by helping me with one my coding problems, or recommend some one who can chat to me over pms about helping and how to overcome my obstacles, after all lets just say I did help you or them or many people with similar problems, in that topic.

Here i have a topic for those of you struggling with type writer text and mugshots in your games especially if it is a rpg see the link below for more info

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=619103

almost no code needed, only uses two events.

click here for the l8est version of feed the alien pizza, it has some major polished up features.

#361 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

how is this magazine any different from the rest of the of gm indie magazines?

What magazine? It seems to have just become a radio show now, right?

html5ebook20.png

#362 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

don't tell me you never heard of gmtech or markup magazine.

Assuming I helped you out in a questions and answers topic won't you return the favour by helping me with one my coding problems, or recommend some one who can chat to me over pms about helping and how to overcome my obstacles, after all lets just say I did help you or them or many people with similar problems, in that topic.

Here i have a topic for those of you struggling with type writer text and mugshots in your games especially if it is a rpg see the link below for more info

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=619103

almost no code needed, only uses two events.

click here for the l8est version of feed the alien pizza, it has some major polished up features.

#363 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

don't tell me you never heard of gmtech or markup magazine.

He's talking about ours. Our magazine has been on hiatus since November. Right now we're just the radio show and the social network we launched March 31st.
-Bret Hudson ~ CEO of indie(Function);

#364 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Haven't updated this in a while, so I thought I'd do so. Next broadcast is tomorrow, May 26th, at noon US Central Time.

Links to the last few broadcasts:
Broadcast 25 - Interview with Shelby Smith and Todd Luke
Broadcast 26 - Interview with Alec Holowka and ZoŽ Quinn
Broadcast 27 - Interview with Danny Perski

Hope to have a bunch of listeners again this weekend! Join our IRC at irc.afternet.org on the #indieFunction channel.
-Bret Hudson ~ indie(Function); CEO

#365 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

We're on in twenty! http://indiefunction.com/radio
IRC: http://qwebirc.after...s=indieFunction

Edited by BretHudson, 31 March 2015 - 08:16 PM.

#366 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

indie(Radio); Broadcast #27 and #28 have been uploaded.
http://www.indieFunc...com/broadcast27
http://www.indieFunc...com/broadcast28

indie(Radio); Broadcast #29 will be airing this weekend, June 23rd, at noon, US Central Time. The interview will be with Andrew Sum/Jigxor, developer of the upcoming title "Dungeon Dashers".

#367 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

Awesome broadcast #30.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#368 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hey GMC'ers,

We just released Issue #0 of our new magazine, Indie Power Magazine, and was hoping we could get some feedback and of course some lovely new fans. The magazine is a huge step up from our previous magazine, indie(Magazine);, and we hope to increase and maintain the new standard we've put for ourselves.

This issue is the "Platformers Issue", and contains articles such as Indies at E3, What You Can Learn from Super Meat Boy, What You Can Learn from An Untitled Story (made in GM!), Platformer Physics Tutorial, 7 reviews, 3 previews, and a couple of giveaways for you free game lovers. You can check it out at http://www.indiepowermag.com

As always, the radio show is still going on with new interviews every other Saturday, and we have other projects available on our site for you to check out.

Hope to hear some great feedback, and I'll be keeping this topic back up to date now that we have tons of free time and are officially back up on our feet.

Thanks!

#369 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

Exceptionally well made issue. It's been a long time since I spent so long reading one of these magazines. Fantastic work guys.

html5ebook20.png

#370 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1349 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

I like the subtitles.  :P

SxuX52f.png

rCf1TdL.gif

#371 Derme

Derme

Time for a break.

• GMC Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

I agree with TV, fantastic to see a quality magazine again!

The only thing I picked up is that on a couple pages you had light text on a light background which made it slightly hard to read those pages.

Edited by Derme, 18 June 2013 - 12:15 AM.

TwitterBanner_zpsf5eaf370.pngSignBanner_zps6e538aa2.pngjust21_promo_graphic_zps785b873f.png

#372 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

Exceptionally well made issue. It's been a long time since I spent so long reading one of these magazines. Fantastic work guys.

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, I always remember you having some criticisms on each issue in the past. At least I believe that was you - it's been well over a year!

I like the subtitles.  :P

SxuX52f.png

Yeah, we might keep it like that or change it later on, not sure yet.

I agree with TV, fantastic to see a quality magazine again!

The only thing I picked up is that on a couple pages you had light text on a light background which made it slightly hard to read those pages.

Yeah, I've gotten that from a few readers, and most likely will update it later tonight. It just takes ages for the issue to upload on my internet, so I do it over night.

Thanks guys!

#373 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

It's a stretch but I do have a bit of feedback:

- The PDF viewer that you use has ads on the side for other magazines. When I clicked "Download (low quality)" I expected it to download the PDF, but instead it put it in a third-party online viewer.

- As Derme said above, white text on a light background requires a bit of effort to read.

- From what I read, there was one missing word in a sentence (Cave Story article if I recall). Editing and written quality is quite strong in general though.

But overall, this issue is very difficult for me to fault, which doesn't happen too often ;)

html5ebook20.png

#374 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8047 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

We [were] hoping we could get some feedback and of course some lovely new fans.

So... your ugly old friends aren't good enough anymore? meh...

I just browsed the magazine and read a few articles. I agree it's a big improvement from your previous effort (which was pretty good itself). But this version has striking improvements in format and organization. Your writing skills had already improved throughout the previous issues, so it's nice to see that improvement is maintained here.

I enjoyed the two What You Can Learn from.. articles. Putting the lesson in context of a popular game is a useful (and enjoyable) way to discuss game design. I liked the discussion about player rewards and level design in Super Meat Boy. I hope you decide to continue this feature in other issues.

The review of E3 was fun too, with some good information about IndieCade and about the new consoles entering the market. And the short sidebar about Ouya was interesting. Nice article.

I read the review of Scrolls, even though this isn't a game I'm likely to play. But I was impressed by the level of detail here. And making the page background and color choices match the game's theme is pretty clever. Nice job on that.

Beyond the content, the format and page layout are done well. I used the full-screen / two-page option -- which makes excellent use of my spiffy new wide-screen monitor. The low-quality PDF looks great. And nice job on the page layout and text / graphics mix. It looks slick and professional.

Great issue overall. Good content and easy on the eyes. I'll post again after I've read more articles.

#375 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3553 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Nice work, I had lost interest in the mag after some time of overall bad designs and lack of writers, but I must admit that the new mag is pretty great, I havent read it fully (you took writing seriously this time, boy!), but this is screaming for a printed version  ;) 

Most of all, I loved the way you integrated the games art to the very same pages you are writing about them, without making the contrast of colours or completely whyte pages with a couple of pictures an issue.. like a pro, this is something your old issues had problems with for a long time, and now its (overall, not completely) gone.

I also noticed how the writing quality has improoved a lot in comprarission with previous articles, I can see, as Chance said above, a very good evolution between issues, that is always nice, especially because you didnt get frustrated by all of the criticism and advices you got, instead you took those and gradually improoved, I think for the best.. 

One thing I noticed was the lack of signatures at the end of the articles, sometimes I see something I liked a lot (or I disliked a lot whynot), and I want to know who wrote that.. It is a good practice to set the wrters signature somewhere in the article, preferrably at the end, so readers can idetify their favourite writers, or if they have something to complain about hey can know exactly who did that.

If next issues maintain this level of quality in design and writing expect me to be back again and again brett, again, good job  :thumbsup:

Edit: Having sooo much content on the mag, why'd you choose such and empty cover!? >.<

Edited by Manuel777, 18 June 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#376 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

It's a stretch but I do have a bit of feedback:

- The PDF viewer that you use has ads on the side for other magazines. When I clicked "Download (low quality)" I expected it to download the PDF, but instead it put it in a third-party online viewer.

- As Derme said above, white text on a light background requires a bit of effort to read.

- From what I read, there was one missing word in a sentence (Cave Story article if I recall). Editing and written quality is quite strong in general though.

But overall, this issue is very difficult for me to fault, which doesn't happen too often ;)

If you could take a few screenshots of the download issue, that'd be great. I can't seem to replicate your experience. I did fix the white background, but fell asleep last night before I could upload it. I'll try doing that later today. Also added "story" to the Cave Story article. 60 pages is a lot to go through, and I expected a couple of things to go under my radar.

We [were] hoping we could get some feedback and of course some lovely new fans.

So... your ugly old friends aren't good enough anymore? meh...

I just browsed the magazine and read a few articles. I agree it's a big improvement from your previous effort (which was pretty good itself). But this version has striking improvements in format and organization. Your writing skills had already improved throughout the previous issues, so it's nice to see that improvement is maintained here.

I enjoyed the two What You Can Learn from.. articles. Putting the lesson in context of a popular game is a useful (and enjoyable) way to discuss game design. I liked the discussion about player rewards and level design in Super Meat Boy. I hope you decide to continue this feature in other issues.

The review of E3 was fun too, with some good information about IndieCade and about the new consoles entering the market. And the short sidebar about Ouya was interesting. Nice article.

I read the review of Scrolls, even though this isn't a game I'm likely to play. But I was impressed by the level of detail here. And making the page background and color choices match the game's theme is pretty clever. Nice job on that.

Beyond the content, the format and page layout are done well. I used the full-screen / two-page option -- which makes excellent use of my spiffy new wide-screen monitor. The low-quality PDF looks great. And nice job on the page layout and text / graphics mix. It looks slick and professional.

Great issue overall. Good content and easy on the eyes. I'll post again after I've read more articles.

Yeah, we didn't feel like keeping the old ugly ones... haha. :P I really enjoy the feedback thus far, and appreciate the kind words. The full-screen/two-page option is the only way to read this, I will agree. I designed the entirety of the magazine in Adobe InDesign, so the whole issue shows up in the program as if it were a two-page document, making it really easy to create it as if it were.

Nice work, I had lost interest in the mag after some time of overall bad designs and lack of writers, but I must admit that the new mag is pretty great, I havent read it fully (you took writing seriously this time, boy!), but this is screaming for a printed version  ;) 

Most of all, I loved the way you integrated the games art to the very same pages you are writing about them, without making the contrast of colours or completely whyte pages with a couple of pictures an issue.. like a pro, this is something your old issues had problems with for a long time, and now its (overall, not completely) gone.

I also noticed how the writing quality has improoved a lot in comprarission with previous articles, I can see, as Chance said above, a very good evolution between issues, that is always nice, especially because you didnt get frustrated by all of the criticism and advices you got, instead you took those and gradually improoved, I think for the best.. 

One thing I noticed was the lack of signatures at the end of the articles, sometimes I see something I liked a lot (or I disliked a lot whynot), and I want to know who wrote that.. It is a good practice to set the wrters signature somewhere in the article, preferrably at the end, so readers can idetify their favourite writers, or if they have something to complain about hey can know exactly who did that.

If next issues maintain this level of quality in design and writing expect me to be back again and again brett, again, good job  :thumbsup:

Edit: Having sooo much content on the mag, why'd you choose such and empty cover!? >.<

A printed version would be SO exciting! I agree, many of the older issues' design was a bit off. Some had really strong backgrounds while others didn't have enough to look interesting. I think we've finally found a good middle, with some improvement still available. I'm glad to hear that the writing is improved, which is one thing I knew we had to do for this issue. If people wanted to take us seriously, we need to bump it up a notch and be super professional. The lack of signatures is because I wrote the entire thing - cover to cover. The rest of the team quit after Issue #20, which is I decided to take such a long break, and wait for the summer when I would have more free time to devote to a quality magazine. We have gotten a few emails from people interesting in writing for the magazine, so as long as they are able to write well, I don't see a problem in the quality dropping over time.

Edit: Forgot to reply to your edit. I really liked the cover that Facepalm Games provided for us, and didn't want to make it dirty with text all over it. Plus, if you're accessing the magazine, there's a very good chance you're going through the IndiePowerMag.com site, which has all the articles listed right on there. We might add text on future covers, but the clean feel really helps keep the beautiful artwork alive.

Thanks again everyone for the great feedback, and everyone else, feel free to keep it coming! We'd really like to know what we should add in future issues.

Edited by BretHudson, 18 June 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#377 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Hey Bret,

I was so suprised! Actually loved the 3rd party viewer, even though, you know. My feedback would be generally towards the content actually, because even though some design flaws could draw attention, I believe you'll grow past those yourself easily.

It seems to be a Gamemaker only magazine, so I'll keep that in mind..

• Go for more audience? Though this is really good (and safe) practice.
  • Super crEte box. It's tough but re-read everything and especially games and names of other people. They're the ones you want to write about more often.
  • I recently played most of the games you mention, like An Untitled Story. Not that it's not worth the attention, I mean it was great! Even though the game was made for fun and games (...), I'd stopped reading because I felt there was nothing new under the sun.  
  • Interviews / exclusive content :)

:D

Edited by Ruub, 26 June 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#378 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

Hey Bret,

I was so suprised! Actually loved the 3rd party viewer, even though, you know. My feedback would be generally towards the content actually, because even though some design flaws could draw attention, I believe you'll grow past those yourself easily.

It seems to be a Gamemaker only magazine, so I'll keep that in mind..

• Go for more audience? Though this is really good (and safe) practice.
  • Super crEte box. It's touch but re-read everything and especially games and names of other people. They're the ones you want to write about more often.
  • I recently played most of the games you mention, like An Untitled Story. Not that it's not worth the attention, I mean it was great! Even though the game was made for fun and games (...), I'd stopped reading because I felt there was nothing new under the sun.  
  • Interviews / exclusive content :)

:D

GameMaker only? I don't believe our last issue had a single GameMaker game in the reviews/previews, unless you could An Untitled Story from the "What You Can Learn" articles. I thought perhaps you referring to indie(Magazine);, which was more GM-orientated, but you talked about AUS in your comment, so I'm lead to believe you read the issue of Indie Power Mag. If you'd like to clear this up, that'd be great, because I'm a bit confused.

I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to say in the Super Crate Box point. Could you rephrase that?

We will definitely have interviews and more exclusive content in upcoming issues, we already have two interviews that will be in the next issue. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

#379 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 659 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

*snip*

I can't find the issue I read, because http://www.indiepowermag.com/ seems to be offline :@

About SCB, I was saying how important grammar was in a magazine, and I found that SCB was spelled with an 'e' instead of 'a'. Honestly, I sort of skimmed it, because I was supposed to be working at the time. When the website is online again, I'll pick a better time for both that issue and the upcoming one. I wonder who you picked for the interviews!

#380 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

*snip*

I can't find the issue I read, because http://www.indiepowermag.com/ seems to be offline :@

About SCB, I was saying how important grammar was in a magazine, and I found that SCB was spelled with an 'e' instead of 'a'. Honestly, I sort of skimmed it, because I was supposed to be working at the time. When the website is online again, I'll pick a better time for both that issue and the upcoming one. I wonder who you picked for the interviews!

Oh, ouch, that's terrible! "CrEte". Makes me cringe. Let me know where that is once the site's back up, I have no idea what's going on. I paid the bill that was due, so I don't think that has a factor in our hosting being down.

#381 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

It's up!

I don't know why but I must give more feedback. It's out of my control. These might conclude my personal taste a little more then appropriate.

• I wouldn't call the low size magazine "low quality". Just call it normal quality and high quality. 

• "Indie Power Magazine" seems slightly unbalanced in design. 

• Content page, the numbers 6 and 9 would look better 06 and 09

• didn't like the Community page. Looks blank and the letter spacing is too much.

• E3 page number is included in the text.

• Margin of super crate box story, the blue on the bottem, is a little short. Could fancy it up by adding little blue strokes in a pattern, for example.

• Electronic Entertainment Expo crosses the page. In paper it would be a big blow to the story and it's not pretty digital either.

• Matt Makes Games logo... seems sorta hard at first, but it works I guess.

• page 17, wth?

• 19, that font came as one big suprise.

• 20/21/22/23/24/25 text kinda hard to read. Whole page is on the edge of pretty ugly and pretty damn cool. Leaning toward the first one though. Also pretty long story. A lil' too long maybe.

• Race Around the sun, first image is not easy on the eye's. The ehhrr... black gradient outline is nasty.

• The bleed on page 29 (bottem) yikes.

• Can't read the PL on Platformer Physics tutorial.

Well, and mostly the things I get bothered about are more or less the same futher on. I don't mean to talk smack about the magazine xD Just things I think you should improve on. I actually like the magazine and think it's amazing you made this. It's huge!

Cheers!

#382 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1470 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Interesting read. The reviews are nicely laid out, as is most of the content and the the physics tutorial was particularly useful.

Edited by Cakefish, 30 June 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#383 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know the next issue of Indie Power Magazine will be out NEXT weekend, on the 20th, and broadcast #38 of indie(Radio); is tomorrow at noon, US Central Time. The link to the show is http://indiefunction.com/radio, and you can get updates about the show over on our Twitter.

It's up!

I don't know why but I must give more feedback. It's out of my control. These might conclude my personal taste a little more then appropriate.

I wouldn't call the low size magazine "low quality". Just call it normal quality and high quality. 

• "Indie Power Magazine" seems slightly unbalanced in design. 

• Content page, the numbers 6 and 9 would look better 06 and 09

• didn't like the Community page. Looks blank and the letter spacing is too much.

• E3 page number is included in the text.

• Margin of super crate box story, the blue on the bottem, is a little short. Could fancy it up by adding little blue strokes in a pattern, for example.

• Electronic Entertainment Expo crosses the page. In paper it would be a big blow to the story and it's not pretty digital either.

• Matt Makes Games logo... seems sorta hard at first, but it works I guess.

• page 17, wth?

• 19, that font came as one big suprise.

• 20/21/22/23/24/25 text kinda hard to read. Whole page is on the edge of pretty ugly and pretty damn cool. Leaning toward the first one though. Also pretty long story. A lil' too long maybe.

• Race Around the sun, first image is not easy on the eye's. The ehhrr... black gradient outline is nasty.

• The bleed on page 29 (bottem) yikes.

• Can't read the PL on Platformer Physics tutorial.

Well, and mostly the things I get bothered about are more or less the same futher on. I don't mean to talk smack about the magazine xD Just things I think you should improve on. I actually like the magazine and think it's amazing you made this. It's huge!

Cheers!

Lots to read here, but I read it all and have taken it all into account. I'm quite a bit shocked to see I left Page 17 the way it is, don't remember that at all.

Interesting read. The reviews are nicely laid out, as is most of the content and the the physics tutorial was particularly useful.

Thank you!

#384 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hey guys!

It’s that time of the month – oh god, not that. I meant the time that Indie Power Magazine is released. We’ve released a smaller issue this time around, which is due to time management issues. Hopefully it won’t repeat itself, as the magazine was drastically cut in size to make sure quality was obtained over quantity. That's our biggest goal with this magazine. indie(Magazine); failed because we kept putting out half-@$$ed content in a not so great looking package.

While the issue isn’t quite as great as the beta issue, there are some pretty looking pages inside, and the Pixel Purge article is a fantastic read, I must say - it was the most fun to write. All the articles that were cut from this issue are still going to be written, and are being post-poned for the next issue, which is looking at about 70 pages. That one will be quite a read.

I suppose a link is always great, so here you go: http://www.indiepowermag.com/issue1

I hope everyone enjoys the latest issue, and comes back for more. icon_smile.gif If anyone’s interested in joining the team, hit us up at contact (at) indiepowermag.com or bret (at) indiefunction.com.

Edited by BretHudson, 31 March 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#385 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hooray! Legit reasons for procrastinating

#386 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hooray! Legit reasons for procrastinating

Eh, kind of. I pushed the date from the 13th to 20th to get in two extra articles, and still hardly got anything extra done with the week I had. Laziness, my friend. The end of this cycle was way too stressful, and I've already started work on the next issue, to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm thinking this next issue might be 75+ pages, which would be insane. I'm also going to work on the page artwork a bit. :) Get a bit more of a theme going on from page to page, to give the magazine a nice feel.

#387 ArDiGames

ArDiGames

ArDiGames.com

• GMC Member
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

Thank you for bringing back a gamemag on the GMC! I especially like the graphics, really nice! Any chance for a strategy issue?

title_Imperial_Domination_II.gif
Possibly the largest strategy project currently on the GMC!
ArDiGames.com - Imperial Domination II - beta on the GMC

#388 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Thank you for bringing back a gamemag on the GMC! I especially like the graphics, really nice! Any chance for a strategy issue?

Hmmm... a strategy issue. I think that's what Issue #3 (September issue) shall be! :D

Also, anyone who's interested in taking the poll for the next magazine can do so at www.indiepowermag.com//poll

indie(Radio); Broadcast #39 is this Saturday, featuring the usual news and an interview with Chris Figueroa.

#389 ArDiGames

ArDiGames

ArDiGames.com

• GMC Member
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hmmm... a strategy issue. I think that's what Issue #3 (September issue) shall be! :D

Also, anyone who's interested in taking the poll for the next magazine can do so at www.indiepowermag.com//poll

indie(Radio); Broadcast #39 is this Saturday, featuring the usual news and an interview with Chris Figueroa.

That would be great! Making strategy games takes a lot of time, but they don't usually get that much attention. I'd be very interested in reading about other indie strategy projects.

#390 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

Indie Power Magazine Issue #2 is out! Let us know what you think: http://www.indiepowermag.com/issue2

Edited by BretHudson, 18 August 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#391 ArDiGames

ArDiGames

ArDiGames.com

• GMC Member
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

I like how you combine news about games with news about the indieworld. Again a good issue, I don't get it why few people respond on these forums.

Great that you are really going for strategy in the next issue. You should consider an article about Banished, a very promising indiegame.

(BTW, if you are interested in Imperial Domination II, I'd be honored to talk about it ;-) )

#392 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

Yes! It's true! We're still kickin' around.

This topic died off a long time ago after we stopped promoting ourselves as much, but we have decided to revive it. We started here on the GMC, and feel we owe it to you guys to return to our roots and connect once again with all the great fans on these forums.

indie(Function); has taken enormous strides since our early days, with projects starting and dying, people coming and leaving, and us building a catalog of fantastic content featuring dozens of creative developers and designers. Even though we've grown and morphed into a new group, our goal is still the same: to deliver interesting interviews, news, tutorials, and stories to help you on journey into game development.

Final note: Broadcast #51 of indie(Radio); goes live in just four hours! Check it out at http://www.indieFunction.com/radio

#393 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:11 AM

Hello GMC! We're proud to announce that Indie Power Magazine is back, launching Issue #3 into the hands of the players and developers around the world.

This issue included a few reviews, an interview with Adam Saltsman, a Train Jam spread, news, a guest article, and more!

Check it out at indiepowermag.com/issue3 and tune in this weekend for our interview with Felix Kramer on indie(Radio); at indieFunction.com/radio.

#394 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1929 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:35 AM

Hello GMC! We're proud to announce that Indie Power Magazine is back, launching Issue #3 into the hands of the players and developers around the world.

This issue included a few reviews, an interview with Adam Saltsman, a Train Jam spread, news, a guest article, and more!

Check it out at indiepowermag.com/issue3 and tune in this weekend for our interview with Felix Kramer on indie(Radio); at indieFunction.com/radio.

Welcome back Indie Power!
Please visit Andygames.com today!

#395 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8047 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

Nice to see another issue, Bret.  I read the article about the latest train jam.  I was wondering what that was about, and what games it produced.  So it was good to see your article.   I played part of the "missed the train" game.   The review of Race the Sun was fun too.  It encouraged me to look at the game. 

Overall, the writing is good -- just a bit verbose in places.  But the magazine layout is very pleasing.  Pretty slick, actually.  My only disappointment was the lack of PDF download.  I had some trouble navigating and adjusting the page settings on the web version.  But not a big deal.

Nice job overall.    I'll read more later and leave additional comments.

#396 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

Nice to see another issue, Bret.  I read the article about the latest train jam.  I was wondering what that was about, and what games it produced.  So it was good to see your article.   I played part of the "missed the train" game.   The review of Race the Sun was fun too.  It encouraged me to look at the game. 

Overall, the writing is good -- just a bit verbose in places.  But the magazine layout is very pleasing.  Pretty slick, actually.  My only disappointment was the lack of PDF download.  I had some trouble navigating and adjusting the page settings on the web version.  But not a big deal.

Nice job overall.    I'll read more later and leave additional comments.

Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed reading about Train Jam, I get so envious of all the people who got to attend when I think about it. It sounds like an absolutely amazing experience.

The magazine is available for download, but kind of hidden on the Issuu site. Upon inspection, I also found out you have to have an Issuu account, which is disappointing. With that being said, I'll be creating a downloadable alternative soon. I just want to make sure I put some sort of tracker on it so I can still gauge our readership between Issuu views and downloads.

Apart from the magazine, our most recent show, Broadcast #58, with Felix Kramer (aka @legobutts on Twitter) is now available in the archive - www.indieFunction.com/broadcast58

Edited by BretHudson, 30 March 2015 - 10:08 PM.

#397 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1093 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:43 AM

Whoa! It's been a while since I last heard about this! Must be nice to be back eh?

Edit: ISSUU seems to be having issues (heh) displaying in my browser. Is there a download link anywhere?

Edited by TheUltimate, 08 April 2015 - 03:53 AM.

P.S. Want somebody for testing your Jam game? Cause I'm up for it. :)

V.0.13 - GRAPHICS AND SFX UPDATE
image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#398 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

Whoa! It's been a while since I last heard about this! Must be nice to be back eh?

Edit: ISSUU seems to be having issues (heh) displaying in my browser. Is there a download link anywhere?

Issue is having issuus? (I think I got that backwards) I sent you a DM with a temporary download link. We'll be implementing a download button on the site - just have to do some testing, upload the files, and make sure analytics is set up so we can keep track of download numbers. Hoping to get it set up in the next week, but worst case scenario it'll be implemented a bit before the next issue on the 17th of May.

Also, this Saturday we have Greg 'Banov' Lobanov (Coin Crypt, Phantasmaburbia, Pollushot, Assassin Blue) on the radio - anyone who wants to listen in, point your browser to indiefunction.com/radio#live-show at noon, CST on the 11th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users