Photo

indie(Function); - Broadcast #71 + Indie Power Mag Issue #3 Out!

• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#101 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

indie(Radio); Broadcast #5 was just uploaded to the site. http://www.indieFunc.../broadcast5.php

-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

Edited by bretboy129, 09 July 2011 - 06:04 PM.

#102 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

Y'know, Bret, I don't think it's very rule-abiding to be bumping the topic each time something new is announced. There's an 'edit' function to edit existing posts.

#103 superjoebob

superjoebob

YM2612

• 1515 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

He's allowed to bump if he introduces something new after 48 hours :)

Not to mention he's offering the community original content every time he bumps. There are a lot stupider posts around bringing a lot stupider topics up to the front.

Game Maker user since the beginning
Online Music Portfolio - High-Res Wallpaper
I speak before I think.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#104 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

Ah, it seems I was mistaken on this front, it is 'legal' bumping, it seems. My apologies to bretboy129. Carry on. :whistle:

#105 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:34 AM

BURN

In other words, I look forward to the next issue of the magazine. Rumour has it my game has a review.

#106 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

I wrote a rather long rant, about 7, 10 line paragraphs. Instead I shall just say: #5 seemed like you're degenerating into a chatroom. What's more, I feel like starting a competitor B-).

#107 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:11 AM

indie(Magazine); Issue #5 was just released! Exciting, right!? Sorry it took so long to release, we had way more editing than planned...
HD [4.6 MB]: http://www.box.net/s...yo2i21n3q8i274g
SD [1.2 MB]: http://www.box.net/s...lcd8b4e529juobt

Ah, it seems I was mistaken on this front, it is 'legal' bumping, it seems. My apologies to bretboy129. Carry on. :whistle:

Haha, no problem.

I wrote a rather long rant, about 7, 10 line paragraphs. Instead I shall just say: #5 seemed like you're degenerating into a chatroom. What's more, I feel like starting a competitor B-).

A competitor? I have two comments about that.

1) Why compete when you could join the team and help us improve our current content?
2) If you do decide to compete again us, I hope you do well. I want a good challenge if we're going to compete.

#108 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:25 AM

Something not entirely true about the review of my game ~ the final version you see in the magazine was NOT developed in two hours. The original was, but instead I decided to add more on to it over the course of the next week. Also, a few kilobytes? It's like 5mb.

I suggest you expand on why each category got the rating they did.

EDIT: Also, one of my tweets was credited to ChevyRay?

Edited by Theophilus, 11 July 2011 - 03:27 AM.

#109 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:36 AM

Something not entirely true about the review of my game ~ the final version you see in the magazine was NOT developed in two hours. The original was, but instead I decided to add more on to it over the course of the next week. Also, a few kilobytes? It's like 5mb.

I suggest you expand on why each category got the rating they did.

EDIT: Also, one of my tweets was credited to ChevyRay?

Same with the other one. Notch didn't say that... we must of have messed something up in the document. Sorry! We might upload an Issue 5.5 later this week and fix that.

Issue 5 was fixed and re-uploaded. Sorry about that, Shelby...

Edited by bretboy129, 11 July 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#110 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

Shelby we sincerely apologize to you for that mistake. We went back to the magazine with our team and made the necessary amendments to the twitter page, we also made modifications to the "1000 Arrows" article which detailed incorrect information about your game.

I have taken steps to make sure that we improve the process we use to verify our articles in the future so that we do not repeat this mistake again.

Otherwise enjoy issue 5!

- Kya

#111 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

indie(Magazine); Issue #5 was just released! Exciting, right!? Sorry it took so long to release, we had way more editing than planned...
HD [4.6 MB]: http://www.box.net/s...yo2i21n3q8i274g
SD [1.2 MB]: http://www.box.net/s...lcd8b4e529juobt

Cool! Now to read the magazine ;)

A competitor? I have two comments about that.

1) Why compete when you could join the team and help us improve our current content?

Knowing me, I probably would hinder you rather than help you :P

But seriously, I'm thinking of something almost completly different to what you're doing, yet not that different. All shall be revealed soon... ^_^

2) If you do decide to compete again us, I hope you do well.

Thank you ;)

I want a good challenge if we're going to compete.

And a good challenge you shall get, good sir knight :medieval:

Posted Image

#112 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

Just downloaded this edition. A few comments:

Article about GM/HTML5:

The HTML5 version of GameMaker will include a "Team Collaboration Feature", which will allow game maker projects to be worked on by multiple people (possibly at the same time).

What exactly does "at the same time" mean? The announcement just said "team collaboration features" and gave no details. Are you speculating, or do you have some details that weren't announced?

Article about Game Sequel Design (by weirdn8):
@Nate: your writing is improving. There were fewer run-on sentences, and the overall tone was more direct and less flowery. Nice job.

Your list of "rules" was mostly self-evident, but still worth discussing. Rules 5 and 6 are both about controls? Or is this a typo? And finally, check the definitions of principal and principle. ;) As a noun, principal refers to the "chief" or "main" thing/person. While principle refers to a fundamental rule/law.

Game Reviews of 1000 Arrows and Mythology (by Zeond):
Simple reviews, but good. MOST importantly, you actually started the review by explaining what the game was about! That's a novelty for this magazine. :D

Unfortunately, obvious download links seemed to be missing... or did I miss them? Also, a few words about the authors is always welcome.

Wall of Tweets:
Not particular revealing, or amusing in any way. It's harmless....but is there a point to this?

I'll finish reading the other articles and comment later. Overall, pretty good. Worth the download.

#113 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

Article about GM/HTML5:

The HTML5 version of GameMaker will include a "Team Collaboration Feature", which will allow game maker projects to be worked on by multiple people (possibly at the same time).

What exactly does "at the same time" mean? The announcement just said "team collaboration features" and gave no details. Are you speculating, or do you have some details that weren't announced?

To be honest, YoYo Games didn't release enough information about it. I put that in there just because I was unsure of what the "Team Collaboration Feature" actually is.

Game Reviews of 1000 Arrows and Mythology (by Zeond):
Simple reviews, but good. MOST importantly, you actually started the review by explaining what the game was about! That's a novelty for this magazine. :D

Haha, I actually laughed at that.

I'll finish reading the other articles and comment later. Overall, pretty good. Worth the download.

It's later. :P

#114 Codebox

Codebox

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

Looking forward on this project. I really like the idea. ^_^

#115 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

Looking forward on this project. I really like the idea. ^_^

Thank you, we have even more happening behind the scenes. We're keeping them down low for now, not even everyone on the team knows about them. :P I'm sure everyone will be excited once they come out, though. :)

#116 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

we have even more happening behind the scenes. We're keeping them down low for now, not even everyone on the team knows about them. :P

That's what my boss said... right before he fired half the staff. ;)

#117 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

we have even more happening behind the scenes. We're keeping them down low for now, not even everyone on the team knows about them. :P

That's what my boss said... right before he fired half the staff. ;)

Good thing I'm a good boss. d:

Any chance it's later?

Edited by bretboy129, 15 July 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#118 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:22 AM

@chance thank you. I hope for issue 6, I am able to not disappoint you. I am still fixing up the article.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#119 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

Screw it.

*Loads Hiring Center page*

#120 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

Broadcast #6 has been uploaded. Download here:
Posted Image

Or, listen to it live on the indie(Function); website: http://www.indieFunc.../broadcast6.php

Edited by bretboy129, 16 July 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#121 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

As you may (or may not) know, I was the victim person forced to speak interviewed by indie(Radio);. So hopefully you peeps at the GMC won't laugh at me too much. :whistle:

#122 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

Listening in now ;)

Yay mention! I feel all special ^_^

#123 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

As you may (or may not) know, I was the victim person forced to speak interviewed by indie(Radio);. So hopefully you peeps at the GMC won't laugh at me too much.

I listened to the interview specifically because you were being interviewed.

I was disappointed. Not by you, you did great, but by the interviewer. Once again, a silly canned interview, where there was the same old pre-canned questions.

For example, he asked you about how you liked being a Mod on the GMC, you answered. Then instead of listening to what you had to say and following up, there was an abrupt switch with the traditional, how did you get into Game Development (or something similar). This leaves the listener with the impression that the interviewer isn't paying attention, kills continuity and removes the feel of a conversation.

And why bother interviewing somebody, if you don't bother doing a little bit of research about people and focus on what makes them interesting. There are a lot of experiences unique to Uriel that would be of huge interest to the community.
  • Mac store publishing.
  • GML4Mac.
  • Porting challenges.
  • You Tweeted earlier what appeared to be a trip to Dundee
  • Current projects.
  • Challenges of publishing.
  • Moderation insights
  • GMC personalities.
  • GMC updates and changes.
  • Your opinion about YYG changes.

But instead we get the same old slow-witted "How did you discover GM", "What languages to you know", "How did you discover GM".

Bleck.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#124 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

I listened to the interview specifically because you were being interviewed.

Heh, cheers! :)

#125 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

Issue #6 - 07/18/2011 Out Now!

indie(Magazine); Issue #6 was just released! Our best issue yet? I sure think so. Enjoy our multitude of reviews and articles and make sure you let us know here what you thought of them!

HD [5.0 MB]: http://www.box.net/s...n261imx9xyn873a
SD [1.5 MB]: http://www.box.net/s...69l2xcjdoavstog

(Filling in for Bret Hudson who is currently unavailable. If you post in the indie(Magazine); topic here, he will be around shortly to answer your questions and concerns)

Content:

- News
- Interview with Uriel Griffin
- The Art of Game Theory
- The Homebrew Taboo
- What the @*$% [review]
- Mr. Fat Snake [review]
- G-Rally [review]
- Tweets of the Week
- Punk Invaders Part II
- A Special Thanks

Edited by iPacMan, 17 July 2011 - 11:42 PM.

- Kya

#126 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:09 PM

The interview content with me is different in the magazine and the radio. So be sure to read the magazine for a nice boring ramble! :medieval:

#127 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

The interview content with me is different in the magazine and the radio. So be sure to read the magazine for a nice boring ramble! :medieval:

Wouldn't quiet describe it as a "boring ramble" Uriel! You was great and i envy what you've done with Vetra Games. Was awesome having you in this issue, i'm sure Bret couldn't have stated that enough himself.

Edited by iPacMan, 17 July 2011 - 11:25 PM.

- Kya

#128 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

What the hell is the point of tweets of the week? Most of them are irrelevant and cut off. I think you could instead include a page or section about what some developers are working on - a WIP page

#129 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:51 AM

Nice score with getting ugriffin, interesting info thar.

Edited by Desert Dog, 18 July 2011 - 06:52 AM.

HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#130 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

What the hell is the point of tweets of the week? Most of them are irrelevant and cut off. I think you could instead include a page or section about what some developers are working on - a WIP page

I think they're starting this from next week.

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#131 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

We appreciate the feedback. I will consult this with Bret and the rest of the team.

Edited by iPacMan, 18 July 2011 - 01:01 PM.

- Kya

#132 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

I've only skimmed the articles so far, so I can't comment on the content. But this issue seems like someone actually did some editing, instead of just slapping the articles together under one cover.

The writing quality is much improved, and fairly consistent throughout. Not sure what's changed, but it's a change for the better.

#133 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

What the hell is the point of tweets of the week? Most of them are irrelevant and cut off.

Entertainment. It's just suppose to be something fun to read. The team had to slap it together last minute because I forgot to send them the ones we were going to put in there.

I think you could instead include a page or section about what some developers are working on - a WIP page

Just like King Terito said, we're going to be doing that next week. :P I'm currently gathering WIP's that are worth mentioning in the magazine/worth getting all excited over.

#134 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

I've only skimmed the articles so far, so I can't comment on the content. But this issue seems like someone actually did some editing, instead of just slapping the articles together under one cover.

The writing quality is much improved, and fairly consistent throughout. Not sure what's changed, but it's a change for the better.

Definitely make sure you find time to read it and let us know what you think!

With my arrival at indie(Magazine); on issue 5, we instated a system of processing individual articles through a thorough grammar and spell check. My job is to make sure the content that you receive every Sunday is of a good quality, that the articles are not dogged down by dodgy spelling and punctuation. Some articles don't even make it to the issue. It's encouraging to see that this has made a visible impact on our content and that it is being noticed by our readers.

Edited by iPacMan, 18 July 2011 - 02:27 PM.

- Kya

#135 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

Well I was told to expect a response within 48 hours and it's been longer than 48 hours. Did you even get my application? And yes, I now realise you use Skype to do the radio, so I'll download when I get a mic (or rather, one that will fit into my new sound card).

#136 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

Well I was told to expect a response within 48 hours and it's been longer than 48 hours. Did you even get my application? And yes, I now realise you use Skype to do the radio, so I'll download when I get a mic (or rather, one that will fit into my new sound card).

Sorry about that, something went wrong with our database. I fixed it Saturday, and then had to leave right afterwards. It's on my list of things to do today, right after update a minor bug on the website, which I'm working on right now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I was gone all weekend, so that's the reason I didn't reply Saturday when I checked it or yesterday. I've been super busy with this annoying thing called real life. xP

Edited by bretboy129, 18 July 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#137 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Sorry about that, something went wrong with our database. I fixed it Saturday, and then had to leave right afterwards. It's on my list of things to do today, right after update a minor bug on the website, which I'm working on right now.

Alright. Just checking, but my application is in there right?

I've been super busy with this annoying thing called real life. xP

You think you've got it bad? :P

P.S., turns out my old mic works, just with hideous wiring.

#138 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

Alright. Just checking, but my application is in there right?

That would be correct. You should check your email. ;)

I've been super busy with this annoying thing called real life. xP

You think you've got it bad? :P

You have no idea. :P Combine it with running indie(Function); and it's like releasing hell upon myself. xD I like it though, keeps things interesting. I hate being bored. lol

#139 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:28 AM

The news article "New YoYoGames.com has 54% Fewer Uploads and 38% Fewer Game Plays" - Hmm, I know I've already read this...write your own articles (and credit the correct source if you don't want to put in that effort!). I shouldn't even have to say that.

The news was done last second by someone on the team. Sorry about that, I didn't notice that it was copied. I'm incredibly embarrassed.

I'd also recommend putting the developer name in big, bold text rather than the reviewer name - it looks kind of obnoxious.

I'm aware of this issue, and we're making sure it gets fixed next magazine.

Wall of tweets is still interesting. You cut Matt Thorsons message off? Also try to get some new names...

Glad to hear you like it. :) It got cut off? Damn. Yeah, I'm working on more names, this was also put together last minute.

*skips through 7 pages of FlashPunk I don't care about*

Haha, funny. Would a tutorial about online gameplay in Game Maker be better? *hint hint* Hope you get what I'm hinting at. ;)

#140 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

The news article "New YoYoGames.com has 54% Fewer Uploads and 38% Fewer Game Plays" - Hmm, I know I've already read this...write your own articles (and credit the correct source if you don't want to put in that effort!). I shouldn't even have to say that.

Great feedback. As explained by Bret already, time constraints this week made it impossible to do our own News piece. Although the articles where copied, that was made clear at the end of every news section with text showing the main URL of the source (although we realize it may have been better to link to the source directly).

That article was also featured on GameJolt: http://gamejolt.com/...ame-plays/6569/ - because our source was this website, we gave credit to this website and hope that GameJolt did the same (although GameJolt just basically used an iframe to the main news source).

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Edited by iPacMan, 19 July 2011 - 01:16 AM.

- Kya

#141 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

OMG MY GAME GOT REVIEWED HERE!!!

It's always neat to read about indie stuff like this. Nice job. I enjoyed it a lot. By the way, according to your post in my topic, you DID beat the game lol, betcha it was posted after the article was written though.

Anyway, your magazine lags horribly on my computer because it can't handle its SHEER AWESOMENESS! (Okay, it's probably because I have so much stuff open at the moment lol... but really, the graphic design's decent. I like the variety, but it definitely needs some colour.)

Just a suggestion, I think you should have a bunch of THESE in your articles, just to break up the huge blocks of text.

You should also... er... spell-check a little more thoroughly next time. I understand that this issue was a little rushed, so it's not that big of a deal. It's still readable.
Post.End; (Couldn't resist. Sorry. :))

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 19 July 2011 - 11:42 PM.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#142 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

*skips through 7 pages of FlashPunk I don't care about*

Haha, funny. Would a tutorial about online gameplay in Game Maker be better? *hint hint* Hope you get what I'm hinting at. ;)

Heh, unfortunately I've already written 40 pages and 5 examples on that topic ;)

A "tutorial" would be redundant, but I don't see how an article debunking some 'GM online myths', or maybe about how work on your own online game goes.
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#143 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

I've read Issue 6 in more detail now, and have some comments.

-- Webster's article "The Art of Game Theory" contained some interesting observations. But I was puzzled why he felt the need to invent a new category called "game theory". Conventional "Game Design" covers everything that was discussed here.

One complaint was that the article's premise (i.e., gamers can influence their "world", while narrative fiction readers cannot) is obvious. That should be the starting point for discussion. It shouldn't take three paragraphs -- half the article -- to get there.

The article's focus should be how to use that difference when making games. Admittedly, he finally got to this near the end. But he didn't make any striking observations before the article ended. It was a missed opportunity to dig more deeply. Maybe he should consider a follow-on article.

btw, the article ended with this horribly written phrase: you can force the player to learn something about their self [sic], and that i [sic] find is very important. You guys need better editing. ;)

-- Suleyman's article "The Homebrew Taboo" touched on a topic indie developers are concerned about. But it made me chuckle. He asks these questions, and then answers them:

Are the big players in the game’s industry frightened of competition? Are they worried about loosing [sic] millions of dollars invested in the latest formats, game engines and modelling software to cube-based, sandbox, openworld, affordable homebrew innovations? Maybe. Possibly. Very likely.

Yes, he's right. Those are the answers. So... why does he end the article by asking us:

...why is our capacity for creativity being stifled and reserved to the mega large and mega rich game studio’s only?

I mean, he just answered that question himself. lol... what's the mystery? :D

Instead, I'd like to see a discussion about whether an "open console" model could work as a business model. Examine possible ways for the "big players" in the console industry to sustain a profit by sharing their technology with indie developers. Consider whether indie developers would also be willing to go open-source themselves. ;)

Anyway, a good magazine overall, so don't take my criticism as a complaint. I just think with a bit more thought you could have something truly exceptional, instead of just mundane.

I have some comments about the reviews too, so I'll post them later.

Edited by chance, 19 July 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#144 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

@chance, precisely the type of constructive criticism we love. Keep them coming.

Chance, if you noticed, my intent was to ask the question. I didn't give a yes or no answer, but i did entertain the possibility by using "maybe, likely, possibly". So at the time of writing i didn't regard this as "answering the question". Just my feelings on that.

Look forward to more of your posts.

Edited by iPacMan, 20 July 2011 - 12:01 AM.

- Kya

#145 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Chance, if you noticed, my intent was to ask the question. I didn't give a yes or no answer, but i did entertain the possibility by using "maybe, likely, possibly". So at the time of writing i didn't regard this as "answering the question".

I understand the "answers" were offered rhetorically. But my point was that they are obvious answers. I mean, it's clear why big console developers are reluctant to open up their console IP. Doing so would allow competition to share their market, i.e., their profits. No mystery there. ;)

So I'd like to see the article go farther than just stating the obvious. Maybe in a follow-on article you could discuss whether there are other business models that might work for them. Examine whether the growing casual/mobile games market might force big console developers to adopt business models like Apple and/or Google/Android have for their devices.

There's lots of interesting trends and questions right now, regarding the future of consoles and console games: Are they dying out? Changing? How so, and why? What does their future look like?

#146 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Thank you Chance for your suggestions, i'll review them immediately.

- Kya

#147 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

If anyone has any requests for tutorials, game reviews, or any other articles they'd like to see in indie(Magazine);, post a reply with your request and we'll take it into consideration.

Thank you for your time,

Edited by bretboy129, 21 July 2011 - 12:05 AM.

#148 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

Hmm... You want some more suggestions? Well, you shall get suggestions. And some other stuff. There isn't much to add to chance's huge post, but I do have a couple of points I want to mention.

First of all, the variety of articles and topics in the magazine is nice. They all talk about video games, but there's enough of a variety to keep you interested. There are plenty of visuals too, which adds to it. The only thing that might turn people off is the fact that several issues feel a little rushed. Typos are scarce, but there are a bunch of avoidable grammatical errors peppering the magazine, and some of the articles just sort of skim ideas without being engaging and completely exploring the concept. You guys seem to know exactly what kind of content you're aiming for, but I think a little more time to research and write couldn't hurt. If it improves anything at all, everyone would be even willing to wait a month between issues instead of a week. I know I would, since the basic ideas behind everything are pretty well founded. It just needs some time to ripen to perfection.

I also don't know if this only applies to me, but I really suggest you give people a little heads-up if you're going to review their game. I personally really enjoyed the surprise of coming to my topic one day and discovering a post with a link to the published article, but I'm not sure whether others would take too well to the same situation. I know you've told someone ahead of time at least once in the past, since it was mentioned here, in an earlier page.

The review itself was quite good, actually, and I enjoyed it a lot, especially how you put some humour into it. Since it had already been written, I read through it like I would any other review, but deep down, I was hoping that there wouldn't be any sort of incorrect conclusions that were drawn. Luckily it only happened once. (Some of the graphics were still placeholders in that version, they weren't permanent. I know it was mentioned in the first post of my topic.)

My only complaint would be that the description of level 2 wouldn't make any sense at all unless you've played the game before. It kind of defeats the purpose, because the true purpose of a review is to convince people to try a game rather than entertain those who have already played it.

Here are some suggestions for new things: add more features that let the readers have some input, like a poll or maybe a guest writer every issue. Hope that helps!

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 22 July 2011 - 11:30 PM.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#149 bllaahh

bllaahh

GMC Member

• 118 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

Theres a link from the high score in another game so i found this and read it.
its quite good and there are alot of intersting things in it. when will the next be out?
Hello
Try my first game here. i will try yours if you do mine.

#150 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:54 AM

Theres a link from the high score in another game so i found this and read it.
its quite good and there are alot of intersting things in it. when will the next be out?

I just got around to posting the link to the latest broadcast (#7), which can be found here:
http://www.indieFunc.../broadcast7.php

The next issue of the magazine should be out sometime in the next 24 hours. :)