Photo

indie(Function); - Broadcast #71 + Indie Power Mag Issue #3 Out!

• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#51 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

You can only go so far to ensure perfect readability. As a throw up between visual and textual aesthetics, I have met the target I aimed for. If a couple of people have a little difficulty reading it, then so be it; you can never satisfy every one of your audience - that is a fact I'm well aware of.

You can actually ensure perfect readability. The trick is to know what you're doing.

Read the next sentence.

#52 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

You can only go so far to ensure perfect readability. As a throw up between visual and textual aesthetics, I have met the target I aimed for. If a couple of people have a little difficulty reading it, then so be it; you can never satisfy every one of your audience - that is a fact I'm well aware of.

You can actually ensure perfect readability. The trick is to know what you're doing.

Read the next sentence.

His statement still applies.

You don't have a clue.

If a couple of people have a little difficulty reading it, then so be it; you can never satisfy every one of your audience - that is a fact I'm well aware of.

You don't have a clue how many people.

But, if you don't want me and others within your target demographic, no problem. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over something that historically has huge visions of grandiose. then starts missing deadlines, then just vanishes.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#53 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

If a couple of people have a little difficulty reading it, then so be it; you can never satisfy every one of your audience - that is a fact I'm well aware of.

But, if you don't want me and others within your target demographic, no problem. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over something that historically has huge visions of grandiose. then starts missing deadlines, then just vanishes.

That's not exactly what Broxter's trying to say. He's mostly saying that he doesn't feel the need to change such a little detail because a few people don't like it. If you could provide how we could improve things as well, and other people feel the same way, we'd be happy to imprive it.
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

#54 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

Read the next sentence.

His statement still applies.

You don't have a clue.

No it doesn't.

Neither do you.

No, the only thing you'll lose sleep over is that you haven't aggressively put forward your opinions on every single GMC topic.

#55 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

It's probably best NKP is ignored (or his criticism absorbed) so the thread can actually stay focused on the magazine rather than turning it into a heated debate zone, otherwise its just not professional.

So any idea what the next issue will hold? Will you guys consider advertisements? What periods is the magazine released?

Edited by iPacMan, 20 June 2011 - 11:20 PM.

- Kya

#56 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:55 PM

It's probably best NKP is ignored (or his criticism absorbed) so the thread can actually stay focused on the magazine rather than turning it into a heated debate zone, otherwise its just not professional.

Thank you, I was just about to ask a mod if they could stop the flame war in here.

So any idea what the next issue will hold? Will you guys consider advertisements? What periods is the magazine released?

An interview with Chevy Ray Johnston (creator of FlashPunk), maybe an interview with Ted Lauterbach (either this week or the following), more tutorials (3-5), game reviews of commercial indie games created with GM, and whatever else we come up with. Hopefully we can get some fun topics in there, like debates, funny articles, and such.

#57 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:00 AM

Thank you, I was just about to ask a mod if they could stop the flame war in here.

An interview with Chevy Ray Johnston (creator of FlashPunk), maybe an interview with Ted Lauterbach (either this week or the following), more tutorials (3-5), game reviews of commercial indie games created with GM, and whatever else we come up with. Hopefully we can get some fun topics in there, like debates, funny articles, and such.

Thats really cool. Refresh my mind, who's Ted Lauterbach?? Posted Image

- Kya

#58 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

Thats really cool. Refresh my mind, who's Ted Lauterbach?? Posted Image

Rotten Tater. Made Super Space Rogues, the Visit games, Descent, and the Fetus/suteF series.

#59 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:42 AM

What flame war? You got some criticism. So take it under consideration and see if anyone else has the same issue. Better some objective critique from NPT, instead of frothing, wide-eyed admiration from your fanboy, iPacMan. :D

Anyway... Overall, this issue was better. Still a bit bland, frankly. But you guys are moving in the right direction. So I'll keep reading. ;)

#60 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:54 AM

What flame war? You got some criticism. So take it under consideration and see if anyone else has the same issue. Better some objective critique from NPT, instead of frothing, wide-eyed admiration from your fanboy, iPacMan. :D

It sounded like one was about to start between NPT and Broxter, in my opinion.

Anyway... Overall, this issue was better. Still a bit bland, frankly. But you guys are moving in the right direction. So I'll keep reading. ;)

Thanks, it really means a lot to hear people believe in us.

Also, for everyone reading, indie(Function); had a huge meeting (2-3 hours, lost track of time). We discussed methods we're going to use to make the radio and magazine better, and talked about all the feedback we've received over the last week and a half. We're seeing how we can use it and ways we can achieve these requests, such as more opinionated news. The meeting was a good one, and we're planning on making the radio and magazine WAY more appealing to listen/read.

#61 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

No, i think if you read my comment you would see it was pretty balanced.

I do agree with you though, there needs to be a bigger push in terms of how the content is delivered, but they are moving in the right direction nonetheless, as you stated.

And i look forward to hearing more about that Flash thingy.

- Kya

#62 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:05 AM

Also, for everyone reading, indie(Function); had a huge meeting (2-3 hours, lost track of time). We discussed methods we're going to use to make the radio and magazine better, and talked about all the feedback we've received over the last week and a half. We're seeing how we can use it and ways we can achieve these requests, such as more opinionated news. The meeting was a good one, and we're planning on making the radio and magazine WAY more appealing to listen/read.

That's real good news, looking forward to that.

- Kya

#63 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:18 AM

I just returned from my camp and will be back in action on the magazine. Broxter seems to have done an excellent job while I was away!

Nikc-Nack(magazine manager)
Indie is.ME
NNIARFAPTILMTAIK = nikc-nack is a really freakin awsome person that I love more than anyone I know
People say I use "..." too much in my post. I don't understand...
American soldiers do not fight because they hate what is in front of them, but because they love what is behind them
People sleep peaceably in thier beds at night because brave men are willing to do voilence on thier behalf. -George Orwell

#64 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:14 AM

New Yoyogames Staff Hired
Not new, and some pretty silly speculation, including how they were going to get paid.

Ignoring the fact/assumption that he's working on games that YYG's will publish, and ignoring the grant YYG's received for creating new jobs, you decide to inform me that YYG's will 'get the money from us', and probably plan to raise the price of GM 'again'.

Minecraft hit by Hackers
I don't play Minecraft, and I don't care(sorry) and I'm sure that those who play Minecraft will know all about this.

If you want to cover indie games, how about Desktop Dungeons? The original version was made in GM, and is currently the only version available(including a Mac version) but their remaking, in fact, remade it in Unity, and it's set to release soon. Pre-orders are available, it looks.

/end rant. I see too much of Minecraft.

Anyway, lots, and I mean LOTS of punk content.

Good to see plenty of game reviews.

vk stands for virtual keycode. It isn't just for the directional keys, like vk_right, but also most of the typical keys.. vk_enter, etc.

They are integer constants. You 'could' just write keyboard_check(4) or something, in fact, in fact, you essentially *are* writing just that.. but being human, you understand vk_right much more clearly than a bunch of numbers..!
(that 4 I used was just an arbitrary number pulled out of nowhere. It's not the keycode of the right arrow key)

If you wrote, say, keyboard_check(ord('A')); what that does is take the ascii value of the character 'A' (which is 65) and returns it. You could write keyboard_check(65) but ugh, that's ugly. :P Only machines understand numbers!!

GM doesn't have vk_A, or vk_etc. But it's got virtual keycodes for most of the random keys like shift and that. You can actually definite your own vk_A constants if you wish.

...anyways...

It was nice to see something on GM coding. What I'd like to see, is rather than yet another basic coding tutorial, but rather, to share a particular 'trick' you do. Whether it be how you get that glow effect on your Space ship(yes, I'm looking at you TV..), to how you work your bullet collisions perfectly, or something like that. Since this isn't a GM specific magazine, maybe that isn't appropriate, though...
Ooh, I know, maybe you could interview TheSnidr! Or convince him to write a guest article. He makes those cool fake3d engines, maybe he could tell a bit about his work&methods,(and inspirations) and link to his engines, of course.

I have to agree somewhat with NPT about the text. At 100% zoom, the watermark+text does make it a bit harder to read. Zoomed up it's no issue, but I like to read further away...

Yeah, good magazine, like all the game reviews, although I skimmed most of 'em for now. I'll go back and read them later.

Edited by Desert Dog, 21 June 2011 - 07:17 AM.

HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#65 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:36 AM

There was no flamewar there. The truth is that denying the problem and going all 'oh well, too bad for you' isn't the best way to respond to people who are interested in the magazine and are only trying to help! :)

A simple fix is an alpha'ed rectangle under the text so as to improve contrast without killing visuals. And, I'm afraid I don't know what I'm doing... I'm no graphic designer (maybe I should take a course or two! Hehe). But I do know that I had problems reading your magazine too.

#66 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:54 AM

It was nice to see something on GM coding. What I'd like to see, is rather than yet another basic coding tutorial, but rather, to share a particular 'trick' you do. Whether it be how you get that glow effect on your Space ship(yes, I'm looking at you TV..), to how you work your bullet collisions perfectly, or something like that. Since this isn't a GM specific magazine, maybe that isn't appropriate, though...

We plan on doing stuff like that for future issues, but for this one, we wanted to promote the first step into GML, rather than just step right into advanced programming. We actually plan on having 3-5 tutorials in each magazine, with tutorials how to do it in multiple languages, such as GML, FlashPunk, Drag-and-Drop (not a language), Java, and HTML5 when that gets bigger.

Ooh, I know, maybe you could interview TheSnidr! Or convince him to write a guest article. He makes those cool fake3d engines, maybe he could tell a bit about his work&methods,(and inspirations) and link to his engines, of course.

That'd be interesting, we might do that.

A simple fix is an alpha'ed rectangle under the text so as to improve contrast without killing visuals. And, I'm afraid I don't know what I'm doing... I'm no graphic designer (maybe I should take a course or two! Hehe). But I do know that I had problems reading your magazine too.

Hopefully Broxter/Nikc-Nack will take that into consideration. I don't do any design work, but that makes sense to me. Hopefully that's how it could work.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, we're glad that people are willing to take the time to help us improve our products. :)

#67 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

New Yoyogames Staff Hired
Not new, and some pretty silly speculation, including how they were going to get paid.

You should try reading some of the newspapers we have here in the UK...

I have to agree somewhat with NPT about the text. At 100% zoom, the watermark+text does make it a bit harder to read. Zoomed up it's no issue, but I like to read further away...

OK, no problem; that can easily be fixed for future issues. Thanks for the feedback. I honestly have no problems at all reading at 100% zoom; perhaps, for you, it's the combination of a high monitor contrast and how busy the background is.

There was no flamewar there. The truth is that denying the problem and going all 'oh well, too bad for you' isn't the best way to respond to people who are interested in the magazine and are only trying to help! :)

I appreciate that NPT was trying to help but he should seriously take a chill pill, as it were. On reflection and in hindsight, I realise I was ignorant of his feedback and that it was good feedback. For this, I will now sit and look at Bret's avatar for three days.

Edited by Broxter, 21 June 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#68 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:29 AM

Loved the (drastic) increase in quality in every aspect. Longer, written better, and much prettier.

Having said that, I'm skeptical how long you'll keep a magazine of this size going weekly. Every other example seems to have been weekly for a month, then monthly for about three months, then either disappeared or just released issues arbitrarily. If you could keep it going at this level and frequency though, it would be amazing.

Good stuff.

Posted Image

#69 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

Check out our freebie page!
Freebie Page
Indie is.ME
NNIARFAPTILMTAIK = nikc-nack is a really freakin awsome person that I love more than anyone I know
American soldiers do not fight because they hate what is in front of them, but because they love what is behind them
People sleep peaceably in thier beds at night because brave men are willing to do voilence on thier behalf. -George Orwell

#70 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:53 AM

Loved the (drastic) increase in quality in every aspect. Longer, written better, and much prettier.

Having said that, I'm skeptical how long you'll keep a magazine of this size going weekly. Every other example seems to have been weekly for a month, then monthly for about three months, then either disappeared or just released issues arbitrarily. If you could keep it going at this level and frequency though, it would be amazing.

Good stuff.

We're planning on proving everyone who has doubts wrong and that it'll continue to go at this frequency. We have a rather large team with us (14 people currently), not all of them write for the magazine, but some of them do and when each of us do an article, that's about 10 for the magazine. We already have the design down, we'll just make modifications and put in our new content and it'll be done! :) So, for now, it should be pretty easy to keep up with weekly releases.

#71 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

indie(Radio); broadcast 3 live on air! http://en.1000mikes....show/indieradio

EDIT: The show is now over and has been uploaded. Link can be found on the first post in this topic.

Edited by bretboy129, 25 June 2011 - 10:45 PM.

#72 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

The show is now over and has been uploaded. Link can be found on the first post in this topic.

My favorite part (and least favorite part) was hearing you stumble over such "big" words as obfuscator. You had similar trouble with complex game names like "Magnetico", and in another broadcast with "Innocuous".

Just teasing, of course. ;) The show was OK. Not a replacement for a magazine issue, but it's fun to hear the people who write it. Just hoping your radio show doesn't take much time. Because I'd rather see more time invested in your magazine.

#73 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

The show is now over and has been uploaded. Link can be found on the first post in this topic.

My favorite part (and least favorite part) was hearing you stumble over such "big" words as obfuscator. You had similar trouble with complex game names like "Magnetico", and in another broadcast with "Innocuous".

Haha! Yeah, being deaf in one ear doesn't help either. :P It's alright, it adds a little humor to the show!

Just teasing, of course. ;) The show was OK. Not a replacement for a magazine issue, but it's fun to hear the people who write it. Just hoping your radio show doesn't take much time. Because I'd rather see more time invested in your magazine.

It takes an @$$load of time. Usually 3+ hours to record (not including planning time), and 3-4 hours to edit. We do put a lot of time into the magazine as well, and we have a rather large team.

We are trying to put more and more time into the magazine, but right now it seems as if the radio is of more importance to the team. We're having another meeting this Monday, and we'll be organizing the team more, so we'll spend less time figuring things out and more time doing things, such as writing magazine articles. :)

Edited by bretboy129, 26 June 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#74 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

indie(Magazine); Issue 3 has been uploaded. Check the first post for online viewing and download links.

#75 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

Glad to see another issue... reading it now.

Your explanation of an "obfuscator" is horrible. And not referring to word's common meaning, suggests you don't know what it means. ;)

In common language, obfuscation is used to conceal meaning by making things sound overly complex. For example, instead of saying "sunset", I'd say the "temporal event signaling our nearest star's descent in the Occident, below the visual boundary between Terra Firm and the celestial heavens".

In programming, obfuscation does something similar by replacing resource and variable names with overly complex names to make it unreadable. So the variable "max_count" might become "ur85kk90_7_44j". They also do things like remove white space, and append several line of code.

So, for example:

if (max_count < limit)
{
v_speed += 1;
noise *= 1.1;
max_count += 1;
}

becomes:

if(ur85kk90_7_44j<r886_u74){t8i_3mmbj+=1;kb09_0_00o0*=1.1;ur85kk90_7_44j+=1;}

It only takes a few words to provide useful information -- instead of just saying "An obfuscator is basically a program that code is run through that mixes it up".

In the new website article, you said "YoYoGames will force more users to revert to GameMaker 8.0/8.1". Here's a tip: the word "revert" usually means going back to a previous condition. GM7 users cannot "revert" to GM8, OK? A better choice here would be "upgrade".

Reading the game reviews now. They look pretty good, so I'll comment again later.

Edited by chance, 27 June 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#76 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

@chance agreed.

What did you think of radio?

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#77 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

Reading it now fella's, chance thanks for that post on Obfuscation.

- Kya

#78 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

In the new website article, you said "YoYoGames will force more users to revert to GameMaker 8.0/8.1". Here's a tip: the word "revert" usually means going back to a previous condition. GM7 users cannot "revert" to GM8, OK? A better choice here would be "upgrade".

Did I seriously use the word revert? That was not intended, I'm sorry, I wish I could fix that. :P

#79 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:24 AM

Jack Brockely(Broxter) has resigned. I will be resuming my original role as magazine manager and making the future issues.
Indie is.ME

#80 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

Took a look through issue #3 - looks good and the content seems OK. Nothing really grabbed my attention to warrant an in-depth read though :(

Not even the THREE page review of Koya Rift!? o:
What could we have done differently to have caught your attention? (That way, in Issue #4, we can fix that and get you reading the actual articles. ;) )

#81 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

What could we have done differently to have caught your attention? (That way, in Issue #4, we can fix that and get you reading the actual articles. ;) )

Your pitch is terrible. You've got to grab your audience man.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7bzxumY05vs

Seriously though, I'm about to check out Issue 3 and will edit this post with my thoughts.

EDIT: Had a quick flick through, and it was pretty good, but I lost interest with indie(radio); #3 pretty damn quickly.

Edited by theg721, 30 June 2011 - 10:40 AM.

#82 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

Not even the THREE page review of Koya Rift!? o:

It was interesting to read, but it wasn't a game review. It was a three-page account of you playing it, and how much you enjoyed it. You spent the first page describing menus and options. Then a page describing battles and monsters, monster types, etc.

In fact, nearly the entire "review" was about menus. Four screenshots of menu screens -- but not a single picture of an actual gameplay screen? C'mon... I kept waiting for some explanation of the story behind the game, or even the objective of the game. But it never came! lol...

Background Story
You're in a mercenary group that finds/sells planets for colonization. Your team finds a suitable planet -- called Koya. Unfortunately, your colonization mission is interrupted by an alien race (phantoms). To beat them, you must venture underground and destroy the crystals that generate the phantoms. The crystal source is called the Rift, hence the name Koya Rift.

Game Style
Platform Shooter with strategic elements. (You did mention this briefly)

Game Objective
You must destroy the underground crystals (which create the phantoms). When you kill them, it raises your rank and you earn money. The money can buy defenses, and also "drones" which serve as guards. This adds a strategy element to the game play.

Controls and Movement
etc...

Not saying you have to layout your review like this. But you really owe readers something about the game, background story, objective, gameplay, etc. Not just how much you enjoyed it. ;)

Edited by chance, 30 June 2011 - 12:47 PM.

#83 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Just something with a bit of depth in it...you know, like game design articles that actually gives you something to think about. Exploration of the more specialized areas of GM would capture my attention - an article on developing online games, for example, would have easily caught my attention. Even something on 3D or blend effects or encryption or external resource management - just something beyond the basics.

There actually was encryption in the last article. It was part of the saving game to an external file tutorial. I'm going to bring this up to the team, we were thinking we'd keep the tutorials simple since there'd be a lot of newbies reading our magazine, but, as you have pointed out, there are also advanced users who would like some good tutorials.

#84 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

I enjoyed reading this magazine once again, although i couldn't listen to the radio without loosing interest after the first few minutes.

I will continue reading the magazine because i think its "handy". I would like to be able to reason in the future that i read it because its "awesome", and that will require the full exploitation of its potential as i previously stated by adding more interesting articles and content.

Good improvement though boys,

Kya

- Kya

#85 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

indie(Radio); Broadcast #4 has been uploaded! http://www.indiefunc.../broadcast4.php

#86 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

indie(Magazine); Issue 4 is now available. [url]http://www.indiefunction.com/issue4.php

#87 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

Spoiler

What was the editor thinking? :P

A train ride home
A pleasant read. Welcome to the casual games market.
You may want to have a read of this:
http://www.host-a.ne... Dog/casual.zip

What a casual portal publisher gave to me some time back.

the 'phone market is a bit of a different beast. Casual games suit it better, so your going to get more male players, at least, I'd assume.

Death&theFly

Who made the game?

Proun Looks very good.

Tweet thing
I was a bit meh about that, but actually, some of them made me laugh. Well, mostly the one by Dangerous_Dave.

I hate programs always updating. Unless I use it, like, GM.

Yeah, so it was a light read, but a nice read. Good work.

Now. I suppose I'll have to catch up with issue 3 some time. :P
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#88 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:18 AM

About the error you pointed out.

This morning at 11:30 I had to leave, the magazine was incompleted at the time, all that needed done was table of contents. Bret opened in PowerPoint, which made everything lose their alpha values, making that extremely hard to read. I'm very sorry and I'll be fixing it tonight along with a few other things
Indie is.ME

#89 RedOctober

RedOctober

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

The news section for issue #4 was written and presented horribly.

All the reviews for both issues #3 and #4 failed to get my attention.

I did enjoy the "A train ride home..." article. It was a good read.

Jam #3: Geometry - Jam #4: Spencer Street - Jam #5: Mystery Men
Twitter: http://twitter.com/redoctober23

#90 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:19 AM

A train ride home
A pleasant read. Welcome to the casual games market.
You may want to have a read of this:
http://www.host-a.ne... Dog/casual.zip

I'll read that when I have the chance, sounds interesting. :)

Death&theFly

Who made the game?

Did we seriously forget to put that in there? o_o Well, it's by DeathandtheFly. Yeah, his game and username are the same.

Tweet thing
I was a bit meh about that, but actually, some of them made me laugh. Well, mostly the one by Dangerous_Dave.

It was something we were testing out this week. :) It's suppose to be funny, and just something to read. We're going to make it two pages next time and probably have more tweets from the YoYo Games team, because they put a lot of new GameMaker features in their tweets.

Yeah, so it was a light read, but a nice read. Good work.

Thanks!

Now. I suppose I'll have to catch up with issue 3 some time. :P

Haha, sounds good! :P

The news section for issue #4 was written and presented horribly.

We were just trying out something new, we won't be using the layout again for the next issue.

All the reviews for both issues #3 and #4 failed to get my attention.

Were they not visually appealing or was it the content? Or both?

I did enjoy the "A train ride home..." article. It was a good read.

I was actually a little afraid people wouldn't like that article, because it's a little out there, but I'm glad we kept it in the magazine. It seems a lot of people enjoyed it. :)

#91 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:39 AM

We're going to make it two pages next time and probably have more tweets from the YoYo Games team, because they put a lot of new GameMaker features in their tweets.

Noooo, one page is enough! :P

I was actually a little afraid people wouldn't like that article, because it's a little out there, but I'm glad we kept it in the magazine. It seems a lot of people enjoyed it.

It was pretty random, but I think what I liked about it was the kinda.. 'dev' aspect of it, if you know what I mean. A lot of the magazine is either just about gaming (reviews, and that) or coding. I play many, many games, and if the code doesn't appeal, then that's not really that interesting for me.

It'd be nice to see a 'day on the game' type article from a game developer on the team, maybe.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#92 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

-The attempt of a "deeper" article (the train one). Unfortunately I saw the author name and decided not to read it (also not your fault).

lol... Actually, I guessed the author's name after reading a few sentences. It was comically bad writing (sorry Nate). But the author managed to communicate his point, so the article was readable.

My only real complaint was the Death and the Fly review. Seriously, how can you review a game, without telling readers ANYTHING about the game? <_< This was SO bad, I almost kicked my dog.

No info about genre. No details about storyline. No info about game play. No info about objective. Nothing! You gave us NO IDEA what this game is about.

You should fire the guy who wrote this. For the sake of my poor dog.

Edited by chance, 05 July 2011 - 12:42 PM.

#93 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

@chance, what was wrong with it exactly, I need more feedback, so I can improve.

2h2fg3c.png

#94 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

@chance, what was wrong with it exactly, I need more feedback, so I can improve.

OK, I'll re-write a few of the most egregious sentences and PM them to you.

#95 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

I think the design of the magazine was a step down from the previous editions.

I know you tried to achieve a balance between looking good and what is easy to read from - but i think that balance was lost as the design itself shifted away from being anything but appealing. Some pages looked good, most did not. It was an inconsistent design.

The front page for example was bland and actually did a good deal of dissuading me from reading it. The black and white on the index page and on the third page just looked horrible.

I'm not using Adobe so im not too sure if i am the only one who is seeing this:

http://ploader.net/f...b254cd7d2af.jpg

Was that deliberate or was that just a terrible design fault?

The first article, "A train ride home i am glad to remember" was good in the sense that the point the writer tried to get across was valid, although the way that point was delivered to the reader was poor. The grammar and use of commas where all wrong, the editor of the magazine should have removed that article. Keeping things just because it takes up room is a bad idea. I think the deadlines you guys set yourself is too unrealistic - it is evident these deadlines (of weekly releases) cannot be met while creating a magazine with quality.

The tutorial was good, but like the entire issue the spelling fell short of good reading.

Whatever potential Indie function possessed before this issue of the magazine has most certainly been lost.

Edited by iPacMan, 05 July 2011 - 06:53 PM.

- Kya

#96 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
I'll do my best to make the design fit with your wants next week.

I do have a few questions:

Do you prefer the three column layout used on Game reviews?

Were there any sections you thought should be removed? If so, which?

In Issue 4 we removed the pages that began each section. Do you think this was an improvement?
Indie is.ME

#97 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

Fear not, for we hope we can fix these issues for Issue #5. Also, for my articles, can you all private message me suggestions and feedback, so I can look towards fixing my many mistakes for the near future.

2h2fg3c.png

#98 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

Fear not, for we hope we can fix these issues for Issue #5. Also, for my articles, can you all private message me suggestions and feedback, so I can look towards fix ing my many mistakes for the near future.

Are you paid by the word? If not, stop the flowery language. <grumble> ...William goddamn Shakespeare..

Seriously, your "train narrative" was pretty good. What nearly killed it was the stilted language, unnecessary words, and extraneous commas. So yes, I'll send you a PM. I'd like to read more articles like yours.

Edited by chance, 05 July 2011 - 10:04 PM.

#99 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:34 AM

Fear not, for we hope we can fix these issues for Issue #5. Also, for my articles, can you all private message me suggestions and feedback, so I can look towards fix ing my many mistakes for the near future.

Are you paid by the word? If not, stop the flowery language. <grumble> ...William goddamn Shakespeare..

Seriously, your "train narrative" was pretty good. What nearly killed it was the stilted language, unnecessary words, and extraneous commas. So yes, I'll send you a PM. I'd like to read more articles like yours.

My good sir, there shalt always be considerably more Shakespearean language, thou can't comprehend this? :P

Seriously, chance, I don't think it was remotely flowery. Flowery is the above.

#100 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

indie(Magazine); Issue 4 was just updated. Corrections were made and the SD version is also available.