Photo

indie(Function); - Broadcast #71 + Indie Power Mag Issue #3 Out!

• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#1 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

nav-logo.png

Site: http://www.indiefunction.com

Latest Radio [71]: http://indiefunction.com/broadcast71 - Interview with Sebastian Nigro

Latest Magazine [3]: http://www.indiepowermag.com/issue3 

Follow us via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google+, and RSS!

indie(Function); is a indie game development media and education organization consisting of a radio show, magazine, video series, news blog, and social network. We started back in June of 2011, when it was just a small team that I lead, primarily focusing on Game Maker and FlashPunk. We've expanded, shrunk, and changed a bunch over the last few years that have been a spectacular journey. We're still around, and are still providing new content to fulfill our goal to bring the indie community the latest news and some fantastic articles on game design as well as reviews of the great latest/upcoming games, and interviews with both large and lesser known developers

So far, we've had seventy radio broadcasts. The official name for our show is indie(Radio);. Broadcasts are noon every other Saturday (US Central Time). Below are links to the broadcasts.

Spoiler

We used to run indie(Magazine);, but we now run Indie Power Magazine. Click below to be redirected to viewing and download links for each issue.

Indie Power Magazine

We hope you enjoy indie(Function);, and check in with us often! Thank you for your support!

Edited by BretHudson, 15 February 2016 - 03:59 AM.

#2 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:08 AM

I found the interview with NAL interesting.

Curious on how the magazine will turn out!

#3 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:37 AM

Nice..To be honest I didn't thought that will be so good and professional.Good Job..I will look forward for this:)

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png

#4 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

Just finished the magazine and the website, check the first post for links to them! Enjoy!
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

#5 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:11 AM

How does Innoqueous 4 score a 4 in graphics, music, sound, gameplay, originality, and replay value.. and then end up with a total score of 4.5/5 GM icons? GM's precision isn't even that bad. :P
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#6 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

@Desert Dog: I have no idea, I didn't write the article. We'll make sure to check those ratings for logic next time.

Also, tomorrow, indie(Books); will be getting it's first preview. Get excited!

#7 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:59 AM

I think that the magazine can improve in strides in literary content and quality.

However, it's nice to see this kind of media springing up again! :)

#8 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

Just finished the magazine and the website, check the first post for links to them! Enjoy!

Just browsed the magazine and it looks OK for a first edition. Certainly better than the radio show, in terms of content and depth.

The problem I had with some previous GM mags is that they often interviewed the same people (often NAL), reviewed the same games, and copy/pasted the same YYG blogs. I hope you don't fall into that trap.

#9 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Magazine was a disappointment.

Why do so many magazines insist on a news section. By publication, the news is old, everybody knows about. It's nothing more than a re-posting of GMB or the glog.

If you want to post news items then add opinion or editorial.

The article on Indie Developers Getting Worse was an absolute joke. Where did this definition of Indie developers even come from?
"An Indiegame, in opinion, is defined as a game in which there are less than 20 developers, with a low budget-less than $20,000 USD- for startup." You can't just make stuff up, put in hard numbers, then validate with "in opinion".

And absolutely nothing was said about why Indie Developers are getting worse. Nothing, but the silly analogy at the end.

This is like me saying:

Auto Manufactures are getting worse. Picture this, one company designs and manufactures good cars. Another manufacturer designs good cars, but manufactures poor. And a third company designs and manufactures poor cars.

And what's with the free Game Maker icon. Basically took YYGs IP. Redrew it, and than asks that if somebody wants to use it, they should be crediting him. That's ludicrous.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#10 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

Just browsed the magazine and it looks OK for a first edition. Certainly better than the radio show, in terms of content and depth.

Our editor decided to quit last minute, so we had to take our content and put it in ourselves (that's why it was released a day late).

The problem I had with some previous GM mags is that they often interviewed the same people (often NAL), reviewed the same games, and copy/pasted the same YYG blogs. I hope you don't fall into that trap.

So, we should interview a wide variety of people? Is that what you're trying to say?
Well, for our next issue, we were planning on interviewing Ted Lauterbach (Rotten Tater) and after that probably someone non-GM related, possibly someone like Notch (creator of Minecraft).

Magazine was a disappointment.

Sadly, I agree.

Why do so many magazines insist on a news section. By publication, the news is old, everybody knows about. It's nothing more than a re-posting of GMB or the glog.

If you want to post news items then add opinion or editorial.

There's an idea that we could use, that sounds like a good way to get the magazine more interesting.

The article on Indie Developers Getting Worse was an absolute joke. Where did this definition of Indie developers even come from?
"An Indiegame, in opinion, is defined as a game in which there are less than 20 developers, with a low budget-less than $20,000 USD- for startup." You can't just make stuff up, put in hard numbers, then validate with "in opinion".

And absolutely nothing was said about why Indie Developers are getting worse. Nothing, but the silly analogy at the end.

Nikc-Nack said he had been hearing about it lately and wanted someone to write about it. I guess I should of given theweirdn8 more information. Oh, and that definition, I have no idea where he pulled that out of.

And what's with the free Game Maker icon. Basically took YYGs IP. Redrew it, and than asks that if somebody wants to use it, they should be crediting him. That's ludicrous.

Doesn't it say in there that all credit should be given to YoYo Games? I'm going to have to proof-read the magazine better next time...

Edited by bretboy129, 16 June 2011 - 12:40 AM.

#11 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

Doesn't it say in there that all credit should be given to YoYo Games? Gotta hate editors sometimes...

Nope this is what it says:

If you want to get your hands on this then go ahead and download it using one of the links on the side. Itís 100% free to use. But if you want to credit us it would be much appreciated. Or if it really helped you than you can go to our website and hit that nice little orange donate button.

Asking for credit and suggesting donations for someone else's IP is kind of sleazy.

Below it, it does say that the Icon is the property of YYGs, but that should have re-enforced that distributing the icon isn't appropriate and asking for compensation even worse.

Oh yeah, the dark text over the dark gray background on the FlashPunk article was almost unreadable. The dark text on the dark graphic MineCraft graphic was completely unreadable.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#12 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

Doesn't it say in there that all credit should be given to YoYo Games? Gotta hate editors sometimes...

Nope this is what it says:

If you want to get your hands on this then go ahead and download it using one of the links on the side. It’s 100% free to use. But if you want to credit us it would be much appreciated. Or if it really helped you than you can go to our website and hit that nice little orange donate button.

Asking for credit and suggesting donations for someone else's IP is kind of sleazy.

I'm actually a little embarrassed, we'll make sure this kind of this doesn't happen again. Guess I'll need to proof-read after our proof-reader does as well.. :S

Below it, it does say that the Icon is the property of YYGs, but that should have re-enforced that distributing the icon isn't appropriate and asking for compensation even worse.

Oh yeah, the dark text over the dark gray background on the FlashPunk article was almost unreadable. The dark text on the dark graphic MineCraft graphic was completely unreadable.

Yeah, I would of switched that, but we were already 30 hours late in releasing it, and I was truly tired of working on it. Total amount of time put into this magazine was over 9 hours, according to a program Jack was running.

Next issue will be MUCH better, and we'll try our best to correct everything and use the feedback we've received to create a better magazine.

Edited by bretboy129, 16 June 2011 - 12:41 AM.

#13 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

Someone's getting kicked off the magazine staff...
I'm actually a little embarrassed, we'll make sure this kind of this doesn't happen again. Guess I'll need to proof-read after our proof-reader does as well.. :S

Really? Give him a break. It's still '100% free' as he said. He thoughtlessly added a bit about donation/credit. I don't really blame him, but as NPT said, we're talking about someone else's IP here, so that's not really acceptable.

The team can grow and learn together, or it can find scape goats, which they boot at the end of each magazine.

More game reviews. That think on FlashPunk was pretty good, too. Try snag an interview with ChevyRay, or maybe Drazzke.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#14 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

Really? Give him a break. It's still '100% free' as he said. He thoughtlessly added a bit about donation/credit. I don't really blame him, but as NPT said, we're talking about someone else's IP here, so that's not really acceptable.

The team can grow and learn together, or it can find scape goats, which they boot at the end of each magazine.

Well said. +1

NPT's objection is valid, so make it a learning experience. No reason to boot a lower-level employee for what you should've caught yourself. ;)

#15 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

More game reviews. That think on FlashPunk was pretty good, too. Try snag an interview with ChevyRay, or maybe Drazzke.

I agree.

Presumably, he's a volunteer, and presumably he's not the only guy responsible. His name is on the article, but I would hope he's not the only one who proofed that article.

It got by everyone.

#16 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

I was on the team (Resigned, I have "creative differences"), and I didn't even read the magazine.

Not to make you look bad, Bret, but you should get your act together.

Edited by Theophilus, 14 June 2011 - 11:25 PM.

#17 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

I was on the team (Resigned, I have "creative differences"), and I didn't even read the magazine.

Not to make you look bad, Bret, but you should get your act together.

Your post's content is nothing but an attempt to make him look bad. Do you think prefacing it with "Not to make you look bad" is fooling anybody?

In this topic, Brett appears to be very responsive to criticism. I think his response to my logo criticism appears to be a little harsh towards the article's author. But I feel Chance, Desert and myself have hopefully changed his mind.

Now it's possible that Brett's response is just public asskissery PR, but I don't think so.

I intend to give them a look in round 2.

#18 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

Who made the Magazine design? :blink:

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.

#19 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:28 AM

In this topic, Brett appears to be very responsive to criticism.

Well, actually, I'm sorry to say that to me, in his posts he simply appears to be placing any problems/issues as faults of his team members. Which granted, is probably true, but as 'team leader', he's simply gotta front up, promise to do better, then grouch to his team members in private.

Not to sound grouchy. It's a first issue, and probably his first time 'leading' a bunch of guys trying to get a magazine/etc up and running. But if he wants Nick Nack, and whoever else to learn from the first magazine, then yes, I think it'd be good if he learnt a bit from it, too.

I wouldn't be disappointed in your magazine, even if it's got a lot of flaws. It's something to step up from.

And theo, don't be a twerp. Use a PM for something like that.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#20 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:28 AM

Your post's content is nothing but an attempt to make him look bad. Do you think prefacing it with "Not to make you look bad" is fooling anybody?

In this topic, Brett appears to be very responsive to criticism. I think his response to my logo criticism appears to be a little harsh towards the article's author. But I feel Chance, Desert and myself have hopefully changed his mind.

Now it's possible that Brett's response is just public asskissery PR, but I don't think so.

I intend to give them a look in round 2.

First off, it's Bret, with one "T". It's fine that you spelled it wrong, common mistake, but try not to in future posts; it gets on my nerves. =P Second off, I am interested in criticism, I believe it will make the next releases of our projects better with each one. (So, no, I'm not just kissing your asses. xP)

And I'm glad you're still interested, and going to take a look at our next shot.

Who made the Magazine design? :blink:

Nikc-Nack.
The next magazine will be designed by Broxter, the one who used to design Rekame Mag EDIT: OverByte Magazine.

Edited by bretboy129, 16 June 2011 - 12:22 AM.

#21 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:38 AM

First off, it's Bret, with one "T". It's fine that you spelled it wrong, common mistake, but try not to in future posts; it gets on my nerves. =P

Not my fault. My editor didn't proof read it. I'm gonna fire him.

#22 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:40 AM

Well, for the next issue (im certain there will be a second, theese things always get to the second issue and not to the third..) make sure you include more text content, and less silly images.. seriousness is a must in this matter. Also a constant background and a static design for the pages would be nice.. If you need inspiration i recommend you to look at Ev149's This Is Indie Magazine.. it may lack of content but the design and quality where great too.. Im confident trough, that if the next issue will be made by broxter (i thought NAL designed rekame! :unsure: ), it will be just fine! ^^

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.

#23 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:50 AM

First off, it's Bret, with one "T". It's fine that you spelled it wrong, common mistake, but try not to in future posts; it gets on my nerves. =P

Not my fault. My editor didn't proof read it. I'm gonna fire him.

Haha, funny. :P
Now that I think about it, I don't think it was proofread, because the same person who quit our team (Nikc-Nack) was our editor. Anyway, it's not going to happen again!

Well, for the next issue (im certain there will be a second, these things always get to the second issue and not to the third..) make sure you include more text content, and less silly images.. seriousness is a must in this matter. Also a constant background and a static design for the pages would be nice.. If you need inspiration i recommend you to look at Ev149's This Is Indie Magazine.. it may lack of content but the design and quality where great too.. Im confident trough, that if the next issue will be made by broxter (i thought NAL designed rekame! :unsure: ), it will be just fine! ^^

We'll make sure of that! Constant background is a must, now that we have an official designer back on our team we can guarantee it will stay consistant. Thanks for the link to This Is Indie magazine, I've read one of them and will pay attention to detail this time around.

Also, Broxter worked with NAL on the magazine, I believe.
I got my magazines mixed up. Broxter designed OverByte magazine, my mistake.

Edited by bretboy129, 16 June 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#24 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

Broxter did a magazine with Redchu called Overbyte. I occasionally contributed to that. Rekame Mag is mine, I did all the design work and all but a few of the articles.

Sounds good you're getting a designer though. While flawed (everything's already been said, I won't repeat it all) it was a good read and it's nice to see another magazine again - their popularity seemed to burst then they just disappeared. Reminds me that I left RM4 unfinished, I should do that!

Posted Image

#25 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:22 AM

Broxter did a magazine with Redchu called Overbyte. I occasionally contributed to that. Rekame Mag is mine, I did all the design work and all but a few of the articles.

Sounds good you're getting a designer though. While flawed (everything's already been said, I won't repeat it all) it was a good read and it's nice to see another magazine again - their popularity seemed to burst then they just disappeared. Reminds me that I left RM4 unfinished, I should do that!

Oh, sorry NAL! I'm getting my magazines mixed up...

I wanted to thank you again for letting us interview you, and hope RM4 goes well!

#26 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:43 AM

It's good to be able to take criticism, but publicly blaming faults with the magazine on someone behind the scenes reflects poorly on you. Something to consider for the future.

I'll take that into consideration. Thank you.

I'm planning on getting one with Chevy soon, but for our next one we have Rolpege. :) Some parts of it I can't understand what he's saying, but for the most part, what you can understand is interesting. :P

Edited by bretboy129, 16 June 2011 - 12:44 AM.

#27 Zargy

Zargy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:41 AM

I, in colaboration with Indie(Function); am going to do a full scale video course on easy game development with GameMaker.

I have already uploaded the first video, which introduces GM, but since I am typing this on my wii, and it‘s internet browser sucks, I can‘t link to it right now.

A part of Studio Anjin

Need help with GML Topics including but not limited to: Visual Effects, Sprite Effects, Advanced CodingPM me! I'm an official Q&A Mentor!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for good GM Video Tutorials? Look to G.M.U., The Game Maker University!

#28 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• GMC:Member
  • 1437 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

"The website at gmc.yoyogames.com contains elements from the site boom-soft.uv.ro, which appears to host malware" - says google chrome.

#29 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

Anyone else that would like to become a part of indie(Function); can now sign up via the hiring center! http://www.indieFunc....com/hiring.php
-Bretboy129 ~ bret Hudson

#30 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

Indie(Function) looks promising. Most of the times I close these radios pretty quick, but this was interresting enough to keep me listening.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for letting me know about the nD

Well, for our next issue, we were planning on interviewing Ted Lauterbach (Rotten Tater) and after that probably someone non-GM related, possibly someone like Notch (creator of Minecraft).

Good luck getting this guy interviewed. He's probably busy swimming in his 250 millions and working on his next game (which I can't wait to play). If you do get this interview, please get some more information about Scrolls. We already heard everything about minecraft and this guy anyways.

#31 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

Indie(Function) looks promising. Most of the times I close these radios pretty quick, but this was interresting enough to keep me listening. Keep up the good work, and thanks for letting me know about the nD

Glad to hear it! And thanks! :)

Good luck getting this guy interviewed. He's probably busy swimming in his 250 millions and working on his next game (which I can't wait to play). If you do get this interview, please get some more information about Scrolls. We already heard everything about minecraft and this guy anyways.

Haha, that was more of an exaggeration, but if I do someday get to (which I'm feeling positive about!), I'll make sure to ask him about Scrolls. =P

#32 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

Anyone else that would like to become a part of indie(Function); can now sign up via the hiring center! http://www.indieFunc....com/hiring.php

Any particular skills you're looking for? Also, are you planning to assemble a permanent team, or have different "guest contributors" for each issue?

#33 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Any particular skills you're looking for? Also, are you planning to assemble a permanent team, or have different "guest contributors" for each issue?

We're looking for people that are going to be devoted to the project and will contribute every week. And no, we're just looking for people in general. There are a LOT of different things that could be done on the team.

#34 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

indie(Radio); will be going live in 15 minutes!

http://en.1000mikes....show/indieradio

EDIT: It's now uploaded and can be found either via the first post or www.indiefunction.com.

Enjoy!

Edited by bretboy129, 18 June 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#35 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

Your radio show is brilliant, though personally I would like a little more GM content. I'd like something on Java, too, now I think about it. You can interview me anytime guys ;D

I'll check out some of your other stuff, like the magazine.

#36 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

Your radio show is brilliant, though personally I would like a little more GM content.

Have anything in mind?

I'd like something on Java, too, now I think about it. You can interview me anytime guys ;D

I'm not sure how we blanked about Java; that'll be a good addition to our topics!

I'll check out some of your other stuff, like the magazine.

Sweet! Issue #2 will be out 19 hours after this post. :P

Edited by bretboy129, 18 June 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#37 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

Your radio show is brilliant, though personally I would like a little more GM content.

Have anything in mind?

Uhh, no not really :P

#38 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

Great work on the 2nd broadcast bret! loved it! ^_^

Edited by manuel777, 19 June 2011 - 09:20 AM.

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

#39 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:19 AM

indie(Magazine); Issue #2 can be found both in the first post and at indieFunction.com. Both HD and SD versions available.

#40 RedOctober

RedOctober

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:16 AM

Overall, I quiet enjoyed the 2nd issue of the magazine. Enjoyed the "Yoyo's Fresh New Site" article very much, it turned very plain news into something interesting and worthwhile to read, or at least look at. The only suggestion I'd make would be to have hyperlinks to full sized images, for example in the Beat Hazard Review there are two thumbnail images showing game play, but you cannot see much in them.

Edited by RedOctober, 20 June 2011 - 04:17 AM.

Jam #3: Geometry - Jam #4: Spencer Street - Jam #5: Mystery Men
Twitter: http://twitter.com/redoctober23

#41 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:59 AM

Great work you're doing, better than the first week.

#42 iPacMan

iPacMan

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

I really enjoyed this issue. I think its good you guys look into things other than Game Maker and thanks to Indie(function); i have just discovered Flash Punk which looks really great. The design is really nice, i hope you guys can find more stuff to write about in the future.

It has the potential to continue for a number of years and attract a large following without being sidelined by the other GM magazines if Indie(function); can deliver content that is unique and provide an originality that separates it from other magazines, and defines it as its own thing. This is where the others failed.

I'm sure you guys will think of something, as i said, the potential is there.

Good work!

Edited by iPacMan, 20 June 2011 - 01:36 PM.

- Kya

#43 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

The thin font used over the gray watermarked graphics makes the articles difficult to read.

There is no longer a space in "GameMaker".

A weekly magazine and a weekly broadcast, is just too ambitious. There is no way that you will be able to create enough quality content for such an aggressive schedule.
[Queue the Sorry this issue is late, but we've been so busy, page one editorials]

#44 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

The thin font used over the gray watermarked graphics makes the articles difficult to read.

The font is no thinner than what you should expect for body text. The graphics, are, as you said, 'watermarked', so as not to effect to readability, which I don't believe they do.

There was not one instance in the magazine where 'GameMaker' was misspelt. I don't see your point.

Edited by Broxter, 20 June 2011 - 05:10 PM.

#45 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

I always chuckle over this. I remember when Sandy announced the official name was now GameMaker (no space).

But look at the preview pic of their "new" website. They have an opportunity to purge the old "Game Maker" spelling, right? But they STILL have GameMaker and Game Maker on the same page! (Link at the top, and center picture caption at the bottom. :P

Posted Image

#46 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

The font is no thinner than what you should expect for body text. The graphics, are, as you said, 'watermarked', so as not to effect to readability, which I don't believe they do.

There was not one instance in the magazine where 'GameMaker' was misspelt. I don't see your point.

Do you realise how silly you sound telling someone who had difficulty with readability that they didn't have difficulty with readability.

What you fail to understand is that you are using a medium where peoples devices range in contrast. Even though the background was watermarked, the contrast between the thin text and darker areas of the background graphics was not great. Saying that the font is no thinner than what one should expect for body text is also silly. The thinner the text the more important it is for there to be high contrast between the text colour and the background behind it.

Monitors and graphics are different, they display colours differently, display contrast differently, render fonts differently, anti-alias differently, there is also differences between how people configure their displays rendering. And lastly there are big differences in peoples ability to distinguish colours and contrast. For you to not be aware of this, suggests you shouldn't be involved in the creation of media targeted at a broad market.

And the relevance of the space in "GameMaker" was regarding the new YYGs home page. In the graphic with your penciled in commentary, at the top there is a comment that "No Space" existed between Game and Maker.

#47 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

Overall, I quiet enjoyed the 2nd issue of the magazine. Enjoyed the "Yoyo's Fresh New Site" article very much, it turned very plain news into something interesting and worthwhile to read, or at least look at.

Jack wrote that article, and I have to admit, it was quite fun to read. We want to become more opinionated about the news, so then it is fun to read, and more than just what you can get from the glog or a GM news blog.

The only suggestion I'd make would be to have hyperlinks to full sized images, for example in the Beat Hazard Review there are two thumbnail images showing game play, but you cannot see much in them.

That's actually a really good idea. I'll bring this suggestion to the team, thanks!

Great work you're doing, better than the first week.

Thank you, Shelby! ^_^

I really enjoyed this issue. I think its good you guys look into things other than Game Maker and thanks to Indie(function); i have just discovered Flash Punk which looks really great. The design is really nice, i hope you guys can find more stuff to write about in the future.

Glad to have another person using FlashPunk! :) It's very simple, just might take a while to get used to. And I'm sure there'll be more and more to write about as time goes on

It has the potential to continue for a number of years and attract a large following without being sidelined by the other GM magazines if Indie(function); can deliver content that is unique and provide an originality that separates it from other magazines, and defines it as its own thing. This is where the others failed.

I'm sure you guys will think of something, as i said, the potential is there.

Good work!

Wow, that's a really strong statement. I'm glad you believe in us, and we hope we can achieve that which you have said in your previous statement.

#48 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

I think it's a bit silly to state that the price of Game Maker will increase just because they're hiring new people. :mellow:

Otherwise, I think more than just one interview per issue would be interesting (I enjoy interviews the most), as well as branching out from just being GM media: there's other stuff besides Game Maker (and Flashpunk), y'know!

You guys seem to be improving a lot. Good job!

#49 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

Do you realise how silly you sound telling someone who had difficulty with readability that they didn't have difficulty with readability.

What you fail to understand is that you are using a medium where peoples devices range in contrast. Even though the background was watermarked, the contrast between the thin text and darker areas of the background graphics was not great. Saying that the font is no thinner than what one should expect for body text is also silly. The thinner the text the more important it is for there to be high contrast between the text colour and the background behind it.

Monitors and graphics are different, they display colours differently, display contrast differently, render fonts differently, anti-alias differently, there is also differences between how people configure their displays rendering. And lastly there are big differences in peoples ability to distinguish colours and contrast. For you to not be aware of this, suggests you shouldn't be involved in the creation of media targeted at a broad market.

You can only go so far to ensure perfect readability. As a throw up between visual and textual aesthetics, I have met the target I aimed for. If a couple of people have a little difficulty reading it, then so be it; you can never satisfy every one of your audience - that is a fact I'm well aware of.

And the relevance of the space in "GameMaker" was regarding the new YYGs home page. In the graphic with your penciled in commentary, at the top there is a comment that "No Space" existed between Game and Maker.

Ah. That comment was just an observation that YYG have followed up their branding of deleting the space (although I didn't notice that the space is left in 'Game Maker' near the bottom of the screenshot).

Edited by Broxter, 20 June 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#50 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

You can only go so far to ensure perfect readability. As a throw up between visual and textual aesthetics, I have met the target I aimed for. If a couple of people have a little difficulty reading it, then so be it; you can never satisfy every one of your audience - that is a fact I'm well aware of.

You can actually ensure perfect readability. The trick is to know what you're doing.