• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Heya guys,

This thread will be to post updates on a game that I have recently just completed and am adding to.

Game download is here

Posted Image

This DotM is an alternate game in that I have attempted to make the art and concept quality of the game more prevalent than gameplay. This is a game to experience, not necessarily enjoy. Its about how you I made you feel throughout the game.

Posted Image

The version being put up (Version 14 as of this post) is what my art assessment is being graded on. I will be making changes to make the game more 'game like' as it doesn't contain much in the way of HUD or menu's.

There are multiple endings, with only one happy ending.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This link here is a Yoyogames Forum which has updates of the game from about version 3.

Input will be great.

Thanks,

Ciknay

Edited by Ciknay, 08 December 2011 - 04:51 AM.

#2 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:40 AM

I accidentally a bump.

#3 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

Well I didn't really like it that much but I'm not the artsy-fartsy type :P Or maybe I'd have to be a heroin addict to really enjoy it, heh.

#4 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

Well I didn't really like it that much but I'm not the artsy-fartsy type :P Or maybe I'd have to be a heroin addict to really enjoy it, heh.

You shoudn't be a herion addict. At all. I am actually trying to say how f*cked up your head gets when you use that crap. If you didn't enjoy it, fair enough. This won't appeal to everyone.

#5 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:41 AM

You shoudn't be a herion addict. At all. I am actually trying to say how f*cked up your head gets when you use that crap. If you didn't enjoy it, fair enough. This won't appeal to everyone.

Oh yeah I was just joking. Although heroin isn't actually a hallucinagen so that wasn't a very sensical joke even.

#6 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:46 AM

Wow, this game is dark. It's really interesting though...

You probably wanna know how I felt during this thing, huh? Well, I'm not exactly the artsy-fartsy type either, but I do like stuff that makes you think and that's somewhat open to interpretation. The drawings in the game are really nice, too, and so is that trail after your thoughts. The music was perfect for setting the tone, it was creepy, but not horror movie creepy. More like mysterious. Also, version 14, wow. You've obviously put a lot of work into this so I'll tell you what I think.

I take it that the loading bar was part of the game too. I'm like "Neat, it's saying that what little light you have in your mind is going to disappear." It added to the atmosphere to have the words shake around like that and appear above and below, it was like you're on the verge of going insane or something, since nothing that you're told or that you control is stagnant. Like, the thoughts pulsate a little when you stop too. And then when you mess up it shakes around even more like you've really gone crazy. I could go on for paragraphs, but I'll stop there.

The way I saw it, it was saying that you will always have thoughts, but you have to be careful what direction your thoughts take you. It seems like that guy's thoughts are already pretty dark, but they're not completely dark, they have some colour in them and you can still save them. If you go in the dark parts, his thoughts will get absorbed into the blackness and you'll lose them forever and go insane. They're probably dark because he's depressed or something, and in a corner with the last bit of light left in his world. I dunno. I think the things that are white are what he sees as the right thing to do, and that's why (highlight for spoiler even though it's obvious what the ending's like -->) the world turns white and the needle turns black and he realizes what he's done and drops it.
And these are his thoughts as he's got the needle stuck in his wrist, right? His mind gets darker and darker as he resolves to do drugs, and if you lose he does just that and dies?

Yeah, tell me if I'm not seeing this the same way you envisioned. It's probably not lol. Oh yeah and I got the happy ending too. (Highlight -->) The "thank you" was written really small and I read it like a whisper. That. Was. Creepy.
Two things though. I found that if I hit D, I can see my health, fps, and the circles of insanity. Second, the black screen after the explanation went on for waaaayyyy too long. When it went black, I was absorbed in your ideas, contemplating what they meant during that time. But then when it stayed black, I was broken out of that mindset and was reminded that I was, in fact, waiting for a video game to load. If you're going to fix one thing, at least make it that.

So, neat game. (oh sorry, art project :)) Good luck on your grading!

TheUltimate

#7 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:51 AM

Wow, this game is dark. It's really interesting though...

You probably wanna know how I felt during this thing, huh? Well, I'm not exactly the artsy-fartsy type either, but I do like stuff that makes you think and that's somewhat open to interpretation. The drawings in the game are really nice, too, and so is that trail after your thoughts. The music was perfect for setting the tone, it was creepy, but not horror movie creepy. More like mysterious. Also, version 14, wow. You've obviously put a lot of work into this so I'll tell you what I think.

I take it that the loading bar was part of the game too. I'm like "Neat, it's saying that what little light you have in your mind is going to disappear." It added to the atmosphere to have the words shake around like that and appear above and below, it was like you're on the verge of going insane or something, since nothing that you're told or that you control is stagnant. Like, the thoughts pulsate a little when you stop too. And then when you mess up it shakes around even more like you've really gone crazy. I could go on for paragraphs, but I'll stop there.

The way I saw it, it was saying that you will always have thoughts, but you have to be careful what direction your thoughts take you. It seems like that guy's thoughts are already pretty dark, but they're not completely dark, they have some colour in them and you can still save them. If you go in the dark parts, his thoughts will get absorbed into the blackness and you'll lose them forever and go insane. They're probably dark because he's depressed or something, and in a corner with the last bit of light left in his world. I dunno. I think the things that are white are what he sees as the right thing to do, and that's why (highlight for spoiler even though it's obvious what the ending's like -->) the world turns white and the needle turns black and he realizes what he's done and drops it.
And these are his thoughts as he's got the needle stuck in his wrist, right? His mind gets darker and darker as he resolves to do drugs, and if you lose he does just that and dies?

Yeah, tell me if I'm not seeing this the same way you envisioned. It's probably not lol. Oh yeah and I got the happy ending too. (Highlight -->) The "thank you" was written really small and I read it like a whisper. That. Was. Creepy.
Two things though. I found that if I hit D, I can see my health, fps, and the circles of insanity. Second, the black screen after the explanation went on for waaaayyyy too long. When it went black, I was absorbed in your ideas, contemplating what they meant during that time. But then when it stayed black, I was broken out of that mindset and was reminded that I was, in fact, waiting for a video game to load. If you're going to fix one thing, at least make it that.

So, neat game. (oh sorry, art project :)) Good luck on your grading!

TheUltimate

Wow, thanks for such an in depth reply!

You're right, a lot of this game is interpretation, and I won't correct you or disprove you.
But on a technical correction, the D button is for the people who are marking my game, so that if they have trouble seeing all the game, they can see the damage modifiers and how much sanity they have remaining. That debug mode was also for myself when I was putting in the damage modifiers to see where I took damage.

When I made changes to the game before sending it off, I changed all room transitions to about a fifth of the time. I must have missed the transition going to the game after the explanation. I'll be doing that soon.

And you played through the entire game. That makes me amazingly satisfied.

Thanks,

Ciknay

Edited by Ciknay, 08 June 2011 - 09:51 AM.

#8 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

UPDATE:

Changed some transition times.

Changed a few animation alignments.

Changed an issue with text being behind some shadows when sanity was between a specific point.

EDIT: changed some spelling

Edited by Ciknay, 20 July 2011 - 11:10 PM.

#9 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

Sorry for slow update, but just finished school for the term and things got hectic.

UPDATE:
Added intro skip. You must have gone through the intro at least once each time you open the game. So when you die or save him, you are able to skip the intro after.

#10 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

Heya guys,

Got my marks back on this and got an A. Pretty stoked about that.

If you guys have any suggestions for anything in the game, or just want to tell me glitches, post and I see what I will do.

I have a few ideas as to what to add to the game now that I can make the game isn't restricted to technilogically retarded people. (my teachers)

UPDATE:

Changed a transition glitch that occured when the intro skip option was added.

Edited by Ciknay, 13 July 2011 - 07:42 AM.

#11 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

C'mon guys... I'm starting to feel a bit lonley here. I'm starting to work on an article for all the concepts and whatnot. Will post again.

UPDATE:

Fixed a major glitch were the intro animation wouldn't play all the way through if the play had died or went to an ending.

#12 jon sploder

jon sploder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Well I'm happy that you got an A! Sorry, there's just not too much more to say than what above people already said :P (namely theultimate).

#13 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

Well I'm happy that you got an A! Sorry, there's just not too much more to say than what above people already said :P (namely theultimate).

Thanks!

What is your opinion on the gameplay and technicals itself?

How could I improve the game?

Thanks,

Ciknay

#14 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:32 AM

necro bump for the sake of it. liking the new forum style.

#15 interpolicer

interpolicer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

This game is intense! I liked very much, though I lost at Darkest Before Dawn, can't figure out why.
Good job on the game. Put it out there, it deserves it.

#16 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

This game is intense! I liked very much, though I lost at Darkest Before Dawn, can't figure out why.
Good job on the game. Put it out there, it deserves it.

Thanks for playing. Means a lot to me. Basically the Darkest before the Dawn represents the struggle to be freed of the addiction, and in doing so you lose sanity.

Thanks,

Ciknay

#17 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:13 AM

Congrats on the A. :) Nice to see that your effort paid off. I tried the new version too, and the flow of the whole game is a lot smoother. Nice job.

TheUltimate

#18 SimplySeth

SimplySeth

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

Looks interesting, downloading now.

EDIT:

lol I went to the yoyogames page for your game and got a Casa Palmer Drug Addiction Help ad.

Edited by SimplySeth, 19 October 2011 - 12:52 AM.

#19 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

@SimpleSeth lol. Good old google xD

UPDATE: I've forgotten what I've changed, but I know I fixed some glitches. I forgot to re-upload it after I fixed up some stuff for school presentation.

#20 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

Hey guys,

I just finished another art game. This one too focuses more on concept than gameplay. Its a short experiment.

Game Page.

Have fun,

Ciknay

#21 theALCH3MIST

theALCH3MIST

GMC Member

• 92 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:31 AM

Definitely interesting. How about a few screenshots on the thread? You could attract a few more plays that way.

#22 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:37 AM

Definitely interesting. How about a few screenshots on the thread? You could attract a few more plays that way.

Thanks, I'll do that.

#23 Ciknay

Ciknay

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:59 AM

Necrobump. Sending this into a competition, so I thought I'd fix things up.

UPDATE:

Fixed a glitch that froze the death sequence after a first playthrough.

Edited by Ciknay, 25 February 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#24 Markonicus

Markonicus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

It's nice and innovative in the arts department. That's something I like very much but rarely see. The gameplay is just standard, nothing too fancy but the music coupled with the art gets you trough. Though I actually died, but I'll try again to complete it. But the style is 10/10. Overall I'd give it 7/10 due to generic gameplay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users