• GMC Member
  • 224 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

take that TheUltimate!

new best time:!!!

Posted Image

btw my game is called Pilkin Beta
give a shot :D, its not the hardest game in the world but um, you will be erked lol

Edited by Melle1, 10 June 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#32 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

Oh yeeeaaaahhh, thanks for reminding me! I almost forgot to update the high scores... Btw how'd you do on the new version? It's slightly different.

I actually downloaded your game yesterday, but it won't work on my computer. I clicked on it, but it didn't start up. No title screen, nothing. So I thought I'd wait for another update before commenting so I'd actually have something useful to say. :)

TheUltimate

#33 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

Oh yeeeaaaahhh, thanks for reminding me! I almost forgot to update the high scores... Btw how'd you do on the new version? It's slightly different.

I actually downloaded your game yesterday, but it won't work on my computer. I clicked on it, but it didn't start up. No title screen, nothing. So I thought I'd wait for another update before commenting so I'd actually have something useful to say. :)

TheUltimate

Oh, god what was the error?
... maybe that's what the problem is, it won't start.

Well, is it because I used MIDI files?
or Game Maker6.1? I need to learn how to set up my game properly.

#34 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

Well, I know midis work properly on my computer, and 6.1 files work. It's not just your game that doesn't start. There was some GM Quiz that I saw in some people's sigs, and that won't start up either. If a game doesn't initiate, 99% of the time it's because of an issue in GM.
I think I should go download it again. Maybe it was just the download that got screwed up.

TheUltimate

#35 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

Well, I know midis work properly on my computer, and 6.1 files work. It's not just your game that doesn't start. There was some GM Quiz that I saw in some people's sigs, and that won't start up either. If a game doesn't initiate, 99% of the time it's because of an issue in GM.
I think I should go download it again. Maybe it was just the download that got screwed up.

TheUltimate

It starts in full screen too, but i prefer it because the last boss room is small.

#36 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:26 PM

My level 1+2 score

I forget how many lives i had
(tip: add the lives counter to the HUD for sincere screenshots of fans like me :D

cool level though, i like the reactor core part

also the this IS.. part ( trying not to spoil)
and the paper platform lolz

Posted Image

#37 AKSuperNewb

AKSuperNewb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:53 AM

Beat the updated version (Level 2 first, then Level 1). Level 1 was harder by quite a bit, but Level 2 was more creative and, in my opinion, more fun. The earlier checkpoint in Level 1 was ENORMOUSLY helpful - reduced a lot of tiring and useless busywork. The best part of this game is figuring out how to beat the next part. Oh, yeah, and by the way, The people who made the secret ocean lab thingy are friggin' jerks. A platform made of PAPER?! Really?! Not to mention the other part that I won't give away. The reactor part was very cool. The game has a high degree of polish and is very fun. I hope you finish it.

-AKSuperNewb

P.S. - Get GM8.1 Standard before the price goes up (if it hasn't already). It is utterly worth it. And the annoying thing at the beginning would go away.

P.P.S. - You can sequence-break the second level if you time going through the door right. :rambo

Edited by AKSuperNewb, 11 June 2011 - 12:54 AM.

#38 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

GM8.1's price did go up on 1st of June, I believe, but it may still be worth TheUltimate getting, I don't know... Posted Image

#39 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

First level: 7 mins 23 secs. Finally did it.
Second level (combined time, I think) 19 mins 28 secs.
Had something like -108 lives.

Wow. I genuinely just played your game for 20 minutes - very addictive. Nicely done!

(Plus, I was willing to comment here and bump my game from the top of the WIP list... Posted Image)

EDIT: OH crap I just double posted. Can I delete this post, or what?
And it wasn't even on my game! Damn it...

Edited by junhalestone, 11 June 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#40 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:14 AM

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the feedback and the screenshots! I'm planning on buying GM, but I've been seeing all these bug report topics lately so I'm sticking with 8.0 until I'm 100% sure it won't corrupt my .gmk or something when I use it. I'd make a copy of my .gmk before using it anyway, but you know what I mean, right?

Junhalestone, I'm gonna go bump your topic now cause you bumped mine. :)

And AKSuperNewb, I laughed so freaking hard at your comment! Haha thanks for that. And where and how exactly did the sequence break happen? Was it the first door?

Melle1, I get the feeling you're going to have the top score for a LONG time... I also figured out that your game is a 32-bit application. I have a 64-bit PC and the compatibility settings didn't work (They never do. Bleh.) so I'll go try it on another computer as soon as I get the chance.

One last thing. I added another feature to the high score list. You should go check it out, I'm sure it'll make you very happy. :) Feel free to tell me if you'd like yours changed.

Edit: WHOA, I just noticed that I'm in the second row of the first page for top rated WIPs on YYG! Let's keep it that way! Thanks to everyone who rated!

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 12 June 2011 - 03:40 AM.

#41 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

Heh, thanks.

Does anyone else think that gory deaths shoul be added if there are new graphics? I think that would be cool.

#42 AKSuperNewb

AKSuperNewb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

Yeah, the sequence break is at the first door in the second level. If you time it right, you can go back and get the end-of-level thingy. I only did it once, but it was pretty easy. I then beat the level straight.

Oh, and yes, gory deaths would be very fitting. :rambo

#43 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

Hmm... I thought I fixed that a while ago because you stop while the doors are opening.

Edit: And should I go create my own level 1 graphics? (Style will be similar to level 2, but a different setting) Cause if you think it'll improve my game, I'm gonna do it...
Edit edit: Melle1's game works now. Go try it.

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 13 June 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#44 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

Yeah I think your graphics for level 2 were great, so make level 1's too, if you have the time.

Personally, though, I think you should completely re-build the graphics - getting rid of sonic and everything, as I think it would work better then.

(Others may disagree, so ask them first...)

Yeah - please add gore to the deaths - this would open a whole host of possibilities for new types of death - harpooned, impaled on spikes, crushed, beheaded etc..

JUN

#45 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

Yeah, I've been kinda hesitant about the blood and stuff... I find that if I put it in, it would shift the atmosphere from fun and surprising, like I was aiming for, to more dark-ish. It'd probably distract you from the obstacles too, like you're watching the blood splattering around and not the thing that got you. That, and the fact that probably half the people I know won't play through it if it's gory. I guess it'd be different if I was a guy, huh?
But you do have a point about being able to add different kinds of deaths. It's still a possibility though, so don't be discouraged. :)

TheUltimate

P.S. I already made different graphics for level 1, but I'm gonna see if there's anything else to fix before I update anything here.

#46 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Well I'm still waiting on Level 3, so toodles

#47 AKSuperNewb

AKSuperNewb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

You could go with a "comic gore" or "cartoon gore" style. Look at Skydiver Mach II (the yoyogames version, 'cause I think they took the gore out of the IOS version) to see what I mean. I do like the idea of different deaths depending on what you got hit with.

#48 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

Yeah that would be a good move, I think. It's not overly violent or gross, it's just funny!

#49 Vivi_IX

Vivi_IX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

Just beat the second level. The first one was so much more easy with that new checkpoint.
Level 1:
04:43:46
-23 Lives

Level 2:
22:04:02
-97 Lives

I beat it with keyboard this time and not my traditional mouse&keyboard :P. I came across a couple glitches you may or may not know:
Level 2, win the falling platform area if you jump on the edge of the platform before first falling block, sometimes you'll warp to the edge of the level (the tunnel you jump down after the falling block), it ends up killing you though.
Level 2, if you try to jump back onto the that platform the changes red, yellow, green, by that room with the people chatting, sometimes you'll kinda warp right beneath the laser. I think the only way to get out is to kill yourself.

If anything those bugs kinda add on to your game (don't do stuff you're not supposed to do) and since they both kill you and there seems to be no way to exploit them, I don't think they are much to worry about.

Also, at the end where you have to go back to the start: I had the key. I just had to fight the door a bit. It didn't open the first time I went to it so I thought maybe I missed something.

#50 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

Yeah - that part with the key was a tiny bit confusing. Could you make it more obvious when you have it? I kept trying to return on the flashing green/red/yellow platform, but couldn't - it took me a couple of minutes to work it out.

(I suppose that adds to your game's 'impossibility').

#51 SuperiorInferior

SuperiorInferior

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:03 AM

URGHH XD I had to give up, regardless as my seriously want to finish it, when that yellow block betrayed me I couldn't cope ;D Well done!

I can't really suggest anything to improve it, it does what it says, makes your head explode with rage :P

#52 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:10 AM

Beat the second stage!
"This is....." <---- Best part of the stage. I could not help but laugh
I honestly loved every bit of the 2nd stage, the core place was awesome! Love that spotlight effect.
Keep it going!

#53 bllaahh

bllaahh

GMC Member

• 118 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:05 AM

This game is so hard but it makes it even better to play. I don't know why the second level is easier then the first one though. It just doesn't feel continuous. At least you put the cheat to go to the other level because it makes life easier
To answer your question I like the second level better because it feels more like your game, and less like you're trying to copy a sonic game. I know its not a copy at all, its just some pictures that are same, but that's just the first impression it gives when that happens. Keeping knuckles would be ok. The second question, I think you could keep it the way it is because i really think blood and guts really aren't necessary in a game like this. It would ruin the smoothness of the game and your concentration on obstacles if you bleed all over the place everywhere and start looking at that.
And ducking under the bad guys like in your screenshot video... would of never thought of that.

#54 ash47

ash47

O_o

• GMC Member
  • 1344 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

Damn that was annoying! I gave up pretty fast lol

#55 Captain Mangoes

Captain Mangoes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

I am definitely not good at platformers, so I feel kind of proud of myself for getting to that picture that was in the gif of screenshots. Where it says, "don't step here" "or here".

You know, that place within about two seconds of starting the game :)

#56 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

Whoa, more replies!

Melle1:
I have exactly three floor objects and some graphics in level 3 right now, so you'd probably have to wait a bit before it's done. :) It'll be just as good or better than level 2 though.

Junhalestone and AKSuperNewb:
Haha okay, okay, since you guys keep asking so nicely, I'll see what I can do. It might not be done for a while because I'll have to adjust a lot of programming, and do I ever mean a lot. As in 85% of the objects.
What's everyone think about that? Good?

Vivi_IX:
Nice.
Also I'll make the door easier to open since it always took me two passes to do it. Or did you like having to figure it out? I sure did.

SuperiorInferior:
Didya try level 2? Maybe you'll like it better.

yingyay
Hey what was your time? Seems like you have a game too and I could link it there like I did with the others.

bllaahh
Thanks for the input. I'm changing the level 1 graphics anyway, so it'll be even more of my game! And if I ever do decide to put the blood and stuff (because people have been asking me... yeah.) I'll take the middle road and let you turn it on in the options if it ends up working.

ash47
Geez man, that's really harsh! Only one star??? It's meant to be a challenge, and you realize this is my first game, right, Mr. Over-A-Thousand-Posts? It's not meant to be the next Tomb Raider or Splinter Cell like that other guy was complaining about. I suggest trying level 2 also, since even I like the graphics and gameplay and stuff better.

Captain Mangoes
You don't like platformers and you still tried this? Wow, thanks a lot. :) You made it pretty far for someone who doesn't play these kinds of games. Did you try the second level too? There's sort of a "cheat code" for it.

TheUltimate

Edit: And is it 60 posts before this turns into a "hot topic?" Cause it seems like Junhalestone and I are almost there with our topics...

Edited by TheUltimate, 17 June 2011 - 02:04 AM.

#57 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:15 PM

Whoa, more replies!

Melle1:
I have exactly three floor objects and some graphics in level 3 right now, so you'd probably have to wait a bit before it's done. :) It'll be just as good or better than level 2 though.

Junhalestone and AKSuperNewb:
Haha okay, okay, since you guys keep asking so nicely, I'll see what I can do. It might not be done for a while because I'll have to adjust a lot of programming, and do I ever mean a lot. As in 85% of the objects.
What's everyone think about that? Good?

Vivi_IX:
Nice.
Also I'll make the door easier to open since it always took me two passes to do it. Or did you like having to figure it out? I sure did.

SuperiorInferior:
Didya try level 2? Maybe you'll like it better.

yingyay
Hey what was your time? Seems like you have a game too and I could link it there like I did with the others.

bllaahh
Thanks for the input. I'm changing the level 1 graphics anyway, so it'll be even more of my game! And if I ever do decide to put the blood and stuff (because people have been asking me... yeah.) I'll take the middle road and let you turn it on in the options if it ends up working.

ash47
Geez man, that's really harsh! Only one star??? It's meant to be a challenge, and you realize this is my first game, right, Mr. Over-A-Thousand-Posts? It's not meant to be the next Tomb Raider or Splinter Cell like that other guy was complaining about. I suggest trying level 2 also, since even I like the graphics and gameplay and stuff better.

Captain Mangoes
You don't like platformers and you still tried this? Wow, thanks a lot. :) You made it pretty far for someone who doesn't play these kinds of games. Did you try the second level too? There's sort of a "cheat code" for it.

TheUltimate

Great I'll look forward to it, I love to design characters, and enemies, request some of my art and i'll post some.

#58 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

Great I'll look forward to it, I love to design characters, and enemies, request some of my art and i'll post some.

Thanks for the offer. I'll be sure to ask you if I need anything!

TheUltimate

#59 bllaahh

bllaahh

GMC Member

• 118 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:04 AM

I don't htink ash 47 is being mean, it seems he gives very bad ratings to every game. Maybe he dosnt know how to say some thing nice because he always says what he does not like. you're game is the second highest Ive seen so he must like it alot.

Edited by bllaahh, 17 June 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#60 yingyay

yingyay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:19 AM

Lol i keep forgettign to record my time, I'll run thru it again this weekend and post it here. Yeah I have a game out but there isnt much content in it, so I wouldnt expect it ti be a huge hit. Fighting games and platforms alike a hard to work on by yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users