teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:40 AM

TradNux 2d Animator
version 0.9 beta

Tradnux Animator is a 2d animation tool designed to help people in the indie game development scene to quickly create dynamic animated character sprites for their game projects. You can build a 2d character figure by adding and eventually creating a hierarchy of nodes or pivot points which you can rotate and resize, ultimately allowing you to create a body parts joined together which you can animate by simply adding frames and manipulating the pivot points.

Posted ImagePosted Image
See the animated sprites samples above? Tradnux Animator can help you produce sprites and graphics like that.

The Fighting Afroguy above is an example of animated polygon figure which Tradnux supports, allowing you to choose different polygonal shapes and apply color or textures to them. With this you can create "Iji" game style graphics easily.

The Fighting Girl in Blue above is an example of animated sprite based figure which you can create in Tradnux Animator, this will give your character figures more detailed appearance and more flexible animations. Tradnux allows you to import images/sprites (.png and .gif) and assign them to any nodes/points. With this, you can even reuse animations and re-skin your figure with different character sprites.

Tradnux can save/load your work, and it can export your animation into sequenced PNG files.

This tool will be similar to Tahnok's "Skeleton" tool (that, Tractimation and Pivot are my inspiration in creating Tradnux Animator) in that it has the same method of animating a structured figure. However Skeleton hasn't been updated for many years now, it is missing on some upgrades in GM, specifically the native support for PNG for better sprite quality. I always planned on making this tool for my own use, but it will really prove helpful enough for others.

This v8.0 released version is the earliest beta release, most functions are not yet implemented. And of course bugs are always there, so please report them ASAP.

This new release is v0.95 beta... we are really close to pushing to version 1. Lots of changes have been done especially on the save system.

Version is 0.98 Release Candidate beta. Big updates and bug fixes. New additions that may finally let users produce character animations with ease. Previous saved files will no longer work on this version though.

Also excuse me for the lack of guide or examples for to get the idea on how to work with it. I will make it up to you in the next reupload. Now... there available sample files (.tsf) you can load into Tradnux.

Screenshot

Posted Image

Old Screenshots

version Beta 0.9
version Beta 0.86
version beta 0.75
version alpha 0.6

Category: Tools and Applications.
File Size: 2.4 MB (1.4 MB: archived)
GM Version: GM8
Vista Compatible: yes
Changes Screen Resolution: no

Download Links:
(Note: I will now start uploading archived files (.rar) from now on since there will be multiple files required in the future)

Latest Version (v0.98b RC)
Tradnux2dAnimator from Host-A

Version (v0.86b)
Tradnux2dAnimator from MediaFire
Tradnux2dAnimator from YoyoGames

Old Version Download
tradnux animator v0.7 beta.exe from Host-A

Progress Logs:

Version 0.98 RC beta
- Fixed data file error.
- Added Spline All Points Tool
- Added Spline Point Tool
- Clean up sprites when deleting a Pivot Point for smaller filesize
- Node grip depth fix (force the node grips to appear on top)
- Export to Animated GIF
- Render Export Auto Crop
- Cropping Tool
- Sprite Deletion
- Drag Image Files to screen and it will automatically create the pivot point as well.

Version 0.95 beta
- Added File Format Support
- Added Flex Mode options on drawn image parts
- Added functionality to choose output folder
- Updated the Settings Window controls (project, output settings)
- Added Point Manager Sprite Window
- Improved Drawing Speed When Grid is enabled (grid display update)
- Fixed the quick sprite edit box (rotate, flip, reposition)
- Added sprite flexi modes
- Frame interpolations implemented (Smoothen, Reverse)
- Updated bone transform (Width, Length, Scale)
- Load backdrop
- and other obscure changes...

Version 0.90 beta
- Added Menu Bar options
- Added Point Manager Widget
- Added Project Settings Widget
- Added User Preferences Settings

Version 0.86 beta
- Zoom In/Out
- Scrollers
- Added Edit Mode (Free Node Transform)
- Sprite Set Transform Control
- Frame Animation Interpolations
- Full Screen Mode
- Tooltips options
- Grid options
- Miscellaneous options

Version 0.80 beta
- Application window size increased to 1024 x 768.
- Updated the GUI buttons.
- Added Nodes Point Manager for alternative transforms control.
- Implemented Animated GIF exporting (SilentDos + ImageMagick).
- Depth Control

To-DO-list:
Undo and Redo
Inserting Backgrounds
Export to .avi
Export Dialog Box
Profile Settings Box
Character Settings Box
Character Overview Box
Frame Management - Copy, Cut, Paste
Color Control Tool
Ease In/Out
Additional Shapes
Premade Sprites
Premade Characters
Premade Animations
Better Help File / User's Guide
Export for GameMaker usage
Weapon Sprite Design Tool
Body Part Sprite Maker Tool

Back compatibility for saved files from this version may not be supported on future versions.

Again apology to everyone for not including any demo guide videos. I will certainly work on that for the next releases.

Please try it and then give me some feedbacks; comments, suggestions, recommendations, anything.

Also... please do not use the sample animation.. that robot thing is already used on one of my games.

Regards,
Teej

Edited by teej, 21 July 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#2 gmdud

gmdud

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 650 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

Not bad at all, I actually made a program similar to this, But mine works more like a 3D skeletal animation tool, It exports the bone positions and rotations and what not of each key frame to a file, then I load that file into a game and build the skeleton with sprites attached to it, then tween the positions in real time for super smooth skeletal animations, Now I haven't spent much time on my programs interface so it's a bit tricky to use(which is why I'm telling you because this one seems to be easier to use), But you should add support to export the animation to a file which stores the bone positions/rotations of each frame so you can animate a character in real time in your game using separate sprites attached to each bone.

If possible, you should do some research on inverse kinematics, If you can find a good solving algorithm for it, then It would make animating even easier and quicker in this program, But I can still deal with forward kinematics.
Check out my guitar videos on youtube!
Guitar Videos
As i lay dying is sick!

Sector X - Online zombie action!

#3 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

It has the potential to be used directly in Game Maker to allow for real-time animation, in fact that is what I intend in the future because that would have lots of advantages over the usual imported animated sprites;

- It creates a number of animation from non-animated images (body parts sprites) in real-time.
- Smoother animations (you can even switch to a lower fps for less cpu).
- You can re-use animations and skin the figure with different sprites creating multiple characters.

I will also add the ability to use sprites with multiple sub-images as sprite (body part) which means you can have different sprite for certain body parts, it is very useful and adds flexibility, for example you want to toggle different hand signs on certain frames for the hand part of your figure, you can do so by choosing the sub-image index on the current frame you want.

I will start working on that real-time Animator Engine version of this tool once I get all the necessary features available, (i.e. the one i mentioned in the last paragraph), as well as making a system to package all resources into one file, and many more. This app still has lots to go and it's still in beta.

This is how the current version looks like:
(note: this is not yet available for download)
Posted Image

For the Inverse Kinematics, as of now I am not sure about implementing that, I know I can't make my own kinematics algorithms, I'm not a math wiz per se, I'm just an artist with only intermediate programming skill, and without inverse kinematics i can create good animation with my app. However, if something comes along.. like a library, or set of scripts I can utilize then I may certainly implement inverse kinematics, because it is as you said, makes animating easier for others.

Thanks for the reply dude. I'll have that in mind.

Edited by teej, 12 May 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#4 ydawg314

ydawg314

GMC Member

• 901 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

I also made one of these for my game razass assualt. One thing you should add is the ability to import another gif animation and use it as a background to make your animation.
Check out my newest game Redesigned from scratch!
Posted Image
Download Mobile Suit Grunt Wars.zip W.I.P 7-26
TEST YOUR MECH PILOTING SKILLS!!!
Spoiler

#5 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

nice start. will keep an eye on this.

#6 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

@ydawg314

Implementing the backgrounds system is the easy part, I might actually try your nice idea about importing animated gif as background, however it will ignore delay-per-frame info from that imported gif file as there is no functions on GM to extract gif info and utilize from. Apart from animated gif backgrounds, I will also implement importing of animated gif as sprites for the figure, but unlike the background object, this by default will not animate you will specify which sub image will appear on which frame. But that's all ideas for now.

As for as background system is concerned, I also have plans on making an option for users so the static background can be turned as object so users can transform that background (position, scale, rotation, color, alpha, etc.) for each frame so you could animate the background as well.

Did you actually made a similar program to create your Gundam sprites? Your game looks nice, I've downloaded it. I will try it later.

@sub

Thanks, I will keep updating this as much as I can. I have so much ideas (like actually adding a sprite body part maker for use with this app), but I can't say the same with the spare time I have.

Edited by teej, 12 May 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#7 ydawg314

ydawg314

GMC Member

• 901 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

@ydawg314

Implementing the backgrounds system is the easy part, I might actually try your nice idea about importing animated gif as background, however it will ignore delay-per-frame info from that imported gif file as there is no functions on GM to extract gif info and utilize from. Apart from animated gif backgrounds, I will also implement importing of animated gif as sprites for the figure, but unlike the background object, this by default will not animate you will specify which sub image will appear on which frame. But that's all ideas for now.

As for as background system is concerned, I also have plans on making an option for users so the static background can be turned as object so users can transform that background (position, scale, rotation, color, alpha, etc.) for each frame so you could animate the background as well.

Did you actually made a similar program to create your Gundam sprites? Your game looks nice, I've downloaded it. I will try it later.

I used the program I created to generate animation files which are used for real time animation. The player's multiple png body parts are controlled by the bone animation system. I got this idea from Anime Studio

http://anime.smithmicro.com/

Edit another cool feature (something which I am working on for my game too) would be to make it so you can animate player states as well. So for example if you make a running animation and make code for it that tells your player that its movement should be running

Edited by ydawg314, 12 May 2011 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image
Spoiler

#8 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

I used the program I created to generate animation files which are used for real time animation. The player's multiple png body parts are controlled by the bone animation system. I got this idea from Anime Studio

http://anime.smithmicro.com/

Edit another cool feature (something which I am working on for my game too) would be to make it so you can animate player states as well. So for example if you make a running animation and make code for it that tells your player that its movement should be running

Yeah, bone system, that's how Tradnux works too. It's hierarchy, you start with one object and it can extend by giving it children, then you create the figure by doing so.

I used Anime Studio, it is a good program for vector animation, and lots of features.

And ofcourse I will make a system that will put index name or id for each animation, so they can be identified, and set them up, and eventually draw them.

#9 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

Dude, this rocks! :D I've been trying to come up with something like this for a while and there's a program out there that sort of does this already (Spriter by Brash Monkey), but it's not native to GM yet. The creator gave me the stuff to make it portable with GM but it seems like it's a bit too complicated to use and the UI for this seems like it would be much better. Just be sure to allow using the mouse wheel to roll back and forth through frames and possibly a zoom in/out feature with Shift or CTRL + the mouse wheel in the case of using it for editing tiny sprites rather than just huge ones. :)

I will so totally use this when you get it complete. Try to keep in mind what I said about possibly inputting some code to execute on each frame, when changing the animation, frame, etc. to allow it to mimick the Create, Step, and Destroy events of Game Maker itself, but on a per-frame basis. The application I'll be working on is going to be doing this as well so that it will work similar to my state machine, except it should work like a having an entirely different state machine on a per-frame basis. You could use the Zero Engine to handle the physics, etc. in addition to this based on whatever the name of the animation or frame is that you're currently on. Not a bad idea, eh? :)
Posted Image Posted Image Online Fighting & Roleplay Game

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#10 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

Hi Ace, thanks for the interest in this tool. Sure, I will really finish this, I have so much ideas and stuff I wanted to add to this app, but what's important for now is to make it stable and user friendly, unlike that Spriter program by BrashMonkey, and its good that you mentioned that tool because that was the reason Tradnux Animator is here, the GUI of "Spriter" is not very intuitive enough for me, I lost any interest on even trying to produce a simple animation from that tool because of the steep learning curve, and so I started working on this tool.

Speaking of user friendliness, I might allow custom shortcut keys for all actions, I have my own set of preference when it comes to operating editor apps, and so is everyone, therefore having to set your preference on this program will make you more comfortable working on it with efficient results.

The zoom function is working now in the current version (except the scroll bar slider), I will also add a 'panning' control. I used the mouse scroll for zoom functions though, but as I said I will implement a preference options to set re-map keys to certain actions. Also I think an undo/redo system is another "a must have" feature for this kind of application, so those will be my priority for now.

I will think about putting the codes (to be execute string right?) for each frame mechanism, that would allow for more flexibility and power to this animation system. I will start working on the export animation data first though, that is the most crucial part in order for this to work in GM in real-time. Until then I will look inside your ZeroEngine further and see how I can make it be compatible with my animation system for them to work hand in hand.

#11 ydawg314

ydawg314

GMC Member

• 901 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:28 AM

I will so totally use this when you get it complete. Try to keep in mind what I said about possibly inputting some code to execute on each frame, when changing the animation, frame, etc. to allow it to mimick the Create, Step, and Destroy events of Game Maker itself, but on a per-frame basis. The application I'll be working on is going to be doing this as well so that it will work similar to my state machine, except it should work like a having an entirely different state machine on a per-frame basis. You could use the Zero Engine to handle the physics, etc. in addition to this based on whatever the name of the animation or frame is that you're currently on. Not a bad idea, eh? :)

This is actually what i was trying to get at. It would be very useful to use code frame by frame. This could also be good for simple ai design
Posted Image
Spoiler

#12 gmdud

gmdud

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 650 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:29 AM

Don't forget to add things like pressing shift to snap to the nearest 45 degree angle :)
Also, A tool tip for each button would be awesome too.
Guitar Videos
As i lay dying is sick!

#13 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Alright I'll certainly add those to my ToDoList.

Also here are additional samples you can do with this program;
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

These are animated gif though so edges are kind of rough, for better quality use pngs.

Please ask permission if you want to use these sprites for your games.

Edited by teej, 14 May 2011 - 12:42 PM.

#14 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

can you add support for hand equips? (sword / shield?) or can this be achieved by simply adding an extra node and supplying a weapon or shield sprite for it?

can it make non-bipeds?

#15 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:32 AM

can you add support for hand equips? (sword / shield?) or can this be achieved by simply adding an extra node and supplying a weapon or shield sprite for it?

Yep, just add a point child from the appropriate point (in that case, the hand) then assign weapon sprite. In later versions you are allowed to change the current sub-image of a sprite (from png strip or animated gif) at any frame you desire, its perfect for some situations you can imagine like for example, the sword weapon got broken.

Make note, that one node can have up to 3 sprites, they can appear on the node simultaneously. This perfect for situations like for example you want the node 'head' to have 3 sprites for helmet, head, and mask... and you can them if they have subimages.

can it make non-bipeds?

Yeah, you're not limited to human figures, you can structure your figure similar to animals, and any other model imaginable.

This is why designing your figure structure is the first important thing to keep in mind before you even add a frame, make sure that in the first frame you have compeleted your character figure.

#16 gmdud

gmdud

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hey, any progress on this?

Also do you ever have problems with seams in sprites(knee, elbow, etc..)?

I'm not an artist so it's fairly tricky for me to come up with a sprite that blends well together(I'm picky hah.), Which is why in my program I have a "primitive" you can add to the skeleton(simple triangle strip with a sprite of your choice as a texture), but what I did was allow you to move each vertex(usually just 4) around and attach it to a bone of your choice so it stays in it's current position relative to the bone(joint/node) you attached it to, so that way you can make it stretch between two bones(upper leg and lower) it helps me blend the seam lines(Usually only when bent is when the seams appear) of the sprites attached to the bones.

Not really sure why I told you that hah, I guess to see your input on the matter.

Edited by gmdud, 17 May 2011 - 09:18 AM.

Guitar Videos
As i lay dying is sick!

#17 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

I usually don't have problems with sprite based, there are some sprite creation techniques to hide the seams. Well I guess that goes natural being an artist. I am happy with sprite based technique.

Although, I've been thinking about that idea before, binding the polygons. The feasibility is certain since i have already primitives working on this program, however that will require recoding. Or maybe I'll just add it on top of basic primitives.... as a separate option for drawing primitives instead of sprites. It will require lots of work though, I will need to have a system so the user selects which points/nodes can have the added primitive (and binding the selected nodes primitives together). I might implement that after version 1.0.

Progress? yeah I've made some. Version 0.85 beta is soon to come.

- Application window size increased to 1024 x 768.
- Updated the GUI buttons.
- Added Nodes Point Manager for alternative transforms control.
- Implemented Animated GIF exporting (SilentDos + ImageMagick).
- Depth Control
- Zoom In/Out
- Scrollers
- Camera Panning
- Added Edit Mode (Free Node Transform)
- Sprite Set Transform Control
- Frame Animation Interpolations
- Modified so sprite will be on the middle/center between the node and it's parent node.
- Configurations Dialog Box

---

I have a question;

- Should I add grid, user customize sized grid... with snapping feature?
- Do you know of any extensions that allow this program to produce .avi from sequenced images?

#18 aplus

aplus

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

tried it seems good, but it would be nice if when you hovered over a button it would say what it was like, "create new pivot point" etc. becuz i was clicking blindly but still got a few things to work, 8/10

#19 gmdud

gmdud

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

I have a question;

- Should I add grid, user customize sized grid... with snapping feature?
- Do you know of any extensions that allow this program to produce .avi from sequenced images?

Yeah a grid is a handy thing to have when lining things up, you should make it so the user can change the size, also make sure you let the user toggle it, so they can turn it on or off.

And for the AVI thing, I know of one from AGES ago, you can check it out and see if it works(Link could be dead)
HERE
Guitar Videos
As i lay dying is sick!

#20 ydawg314

ydawg314

GMC Member

• 901 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

another suggestion
make it so that you can change frames anywhere like in anime studio. By this i mean you can make for example a 30 frame walking animation by only editing like 8 frames.

I have an algorithm to do this so if you need help let me know
Posted Image
Spoiler

#21 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

@aplus,

Alright, the next release will have an option to show tooltips when mouse is over those buttons. They will be very brief descriptions though. I will however make a user guide with more elaborate explanations and descriptions about those buttons.

By the way, what do you think is a good document format for the help file? I wanted something that can show images (therefore, GM game info is not an option here) So which one from these: DOC, PDF, CHM, RTF, HTML?
I actually prefer PDF, but I need your thoughts here.

@gmdud,

Yep, I reckon it will be nice feature so you can have nodes stay in same exact place, but there are several zoom levels. Of course, there will be option to toggle it on/off. During playback it will also be disabled.

I tested the dll, It seems to work but it has an AVI format which is not readable by most players (or atleast the players I have in my comp) except windows media player. I'm thinking also that the output is a raw AVI, which is uncompressed... which means large file size.

I may use this, but I am actually looking for something that allows you to choose a codec and some settings. Thanks for the link, btw.

@ydawg314,

Do you mean like it automatically apply tweening on the frames once change occurs on any frame in order for in-between frames to relatively adjust so to make smooth animation altogether? or are you talking about something different?

Actually I'm working on something like that, Tahnok's Skeleton also has that too. I call it frame interpolation, basically it makes animation smoother.

There are two types:

One type is where you choose the frameA and frameB, for example you choose frame 4 and frame 8, then when you apply the interpolation, the program will relatively adjust the frames in between frame 4 and frame 8... which will result in smooth transition. No additional frames though.

The other one is where you choose the frameA and frameB, but here, instead of readjusting existing frames in between A and B, it will add interpolated frame in between each frames starting from frame A to frame B. New frames added so this will result in more smoother animation.

With those function, you could also create a full walking animation using only 4 character poses (frames) initially. Actually even two frames will do, since there's also a Reverse Animation function. These functions are very useful for quick animation design. There are still some bugs in them that I need to fix first.

Edited by teej, 17 May 2011 - 05:22 PM.

#22 ydawg314

ydawg314

GMC Member

• 901 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

yes that exactly what im talking about. My method is to use a ds list and store the distance between each frame and what the desired length or angle is for every edited frame. The animation player traverses through this ds list. This is something i am working on now so im not sure whether this method is slower the other methods you stated. (I used your methods for razas assult). Before I had to get info from a ds_grid every step but my new method will allow it to be every time a frame was edited. so if the walk cycle had 4 edits there will be 4 accesses to the ds list.

Edited by ydawg314, 17 May 2011 - 06:29 PM.

Posted Image
Spoiler

#23 King Chubbles

King Chubbles

GMC Member

• 1052 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:29 AM

nice program. Are you thinking about inverse kimatics (sorry for sp)? as a toggle i think it would work nicely
Posted Image

#24 Fason7

Fason7

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

Yes! I have been waiting for a program like this for a long time.
I miss Skeleton...but sadly it won't work in Vista. :(
How soon until you think it will be finished?

#25 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 457 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

Looks cool - I'll try it out later.

> PlanIt (WIP restarting June 12th. Need feedback and suggestions if you have them).
       - Feedback (GMC)
       - Game News + Comments (GameJolt)

> GameJolt Profile
> SoundCloud Stream

#26 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:58 PM

@ydawg314,

I'm not sure how fast will that be using data structures, I'm using arrays in mine for the real-time data storage for thinking that it has closest access to memory... i haven't done thorough testing very much on playback speed though, but I tried this earlier... I set my playback animation speed to 60 per sec. Added 23 nodes each with a sprite, and inserted over 500 frames. All nodes are moving, animation speed remains 60 fps on the debug mode. Wow I was kinda amazed myself, didn't expect it to run that smoothly because I haven't done any optimization whatsoever. I need to test it more though.

As for the automatic editing... I dunno, at this stage I want my animator to be more frame by frame editing, with some optional frame interpolation tools to aid you, making your work faster.

@KingChubbles,

Yeah, lots of people asks for that feature. If only that's easy to implement I would, because it does make you work faster like when you want to raise your character arms up high, with IK you only need to position one node. Currently, mine works on a Forward Kinematics so when you raise your character arms you may need to adjust multiple nodes.

I'm not very good at math, but I'm doing research on this, apparently I stumbled on some Game Maker examples for IK, I'll study how feasible it is to utilize that example.

@Fason7,

If I continue getting so much spare time, I might actually complete it to Version 1.0, after a month. I hope.

@junhalestone,

Thanks for the interest.

#27 FeedMeCheese

FeedMeCheese

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

:o I've been looking for a program like this for ages! Most of the ones I've found (like Skeleton 1.1) are really out of date and their authors have forgotten about them.
DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN TO THIS!
I'm not entirely sure why people decide to animate sprites frame-by-frame when things like this are about! :D

Anyway, I saw that the replies to this topic are fairly recent and I just wanted to say, PLEASE keep developing this and try to release a version with most of the features soon!
Also, a hint for development, try to make the application tell the user what button he's hovering over (like a mouseover text box or something), that makes it a lot easier than just trying to memorize and work out from the button sprites what the button actually does! XD

Anyway, good luck with this and keep on developing! My crap frame-by-frame animating skills are bad and I desperately need you to save me with this program!!!

-John

#28 King Chubbles

King Chubbles

GMC Member

• 1052 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

@KingChubbles,

Yeah, lots of people asks for that feature. If only that's easy to implement I would, because it does make you work faster like when you want to raise your character arms up high, with IK you only need to position one node. Currently, mine works on a Forward Kinematics so when you raise your character arms you may need to adjust multiple nodes.

I'm not very good at math, but I'm doing research on this, apparently I stumbled on some Game Maker examples for IK, I'll study how feasible it is to utilize that example.

if it is implemented, i would sugest a toggle switch. While i love IK (im a tisfat user) some might not (pivot users)
Its all about personal prefrence.
IK works better with tweaning in my opinion
Posted Image

#29 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:09 AM

@FeedMeCheese,

Thank you, and yes I will keep developing this, but I also need your support guys. Also the tooltip function everyone has been asking is already in the next release.

By the way, here is what the next WIP release will look like...

Posted Image

Obviously, lots of changes and additions. I might release this one very soon.

#30 FeedMeCheese

FeedMeCheese

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

Oh god! Please do! :D

Also, another suggestion I forgot to put in my last post would be to allow the app to go fullscreen. Thats another feature I hadn't seen in any other programs like this :D

#31 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

Well, there's an option "Force Fit Screen". But it doesn't actually resizing the window of the application, its rescaling (stretch-to-fit, kinda) the game screen to fit the monitor screen without changing the resolution of your monitor display. Well, I could also add an option so that it resizes the display screen to 1024 x 768 pixel resolution, I don't like that though, non-game programs shouldn't mess with display resolutions.

#32 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Been a busy month for other commitments, but I was able to pull off something for Tradnux to get it uploaded. So yeah new download of latest version available now.

Sorry no starter examples, I'm yet to make example files soon.

#33 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

tried using this few weeks ago. looks good and everything but the interface was a nightmare.. please include doc files. glad to hear tooltips were added.

#34 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

I will surely include document file but in PDF, I think anyone can open PDFs on their comp right?

#35 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

This is certainly what I've been looking for! and, your interface design is just perfect! If I use this along with image editors like Photoshop it'll be ultimate sprite creator! Thanks very much teej! :medieval:
Thumb_Jilbab.png96un.pngsssignature.png

#36 True_Predator

True_Predator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

I had made a tool years ago like this Ducotractus 2D, I used it for several of my games. It was always the part of exporting just the animation information to GM so it could have real time animation. The idea of a side-scroller RPG where items, equipment all of it where "attached" to the character no more animating all the sprites for a new helmet or armor, the game did all that for you just made it so much simpler easier and faster to add new things. I had always planned ( but never had much time to get it started let alone finish) to have the tool I made come with a set of resource's for GM involving reading the animation files externally and scripts within GM to read and animate the files. For me it was easier to change the external files then the exe all the time.

This program is much more cleaner then many I have seen and more professional looking, really waiting to see the export animation for GM. Great program it's already quick linked next to all my image editing software. If you need/want some help for some pre-made sprites or characters I'll be glad to, gonna keep an eye on this topic I have so much stuff worked out for a side scroller with the idea of useing real time animating ( I have something started but its not close to completion and this has a good start :))

My deviantart page: http://truepredator....rt.com/gallery/    
My Imageshack: https://imageshack.c...r/true_predator :: Signup yourself by visiting this link *please :D*: https://imageshack.c...HZpaelpWdkphpng

Visit my dev blog on my Isometric Engine. Subscribe / follow!   http://vohjiindev.blogspot.com/

Software used: GameMaker: Studio,  Spine Professional http://esotericsoftware.com/ 

#37 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Thanks Fihrilkamal and True_Predator, that is just what I need to keep me going on working with this... to find people actually happy that this tool existed, and is being utilized. I really appreciate that.

@ Fihrilkamal, I might add a feature, an option to set which image editor to use when trying to edit the images. That would be nifty additional feature to the program. I really want to improve the program to make the work and effort lesser.

@ True_Predator, yes please, first of all thanks for offering to help... I really need some sprites for me to get going, especially on making tutorials, manuals, templates, and stuff. So that would really be helpful for me.

#38 True_Predator

True_Predator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

Some minor bugs
1: When you hover over the help button it also Highlights the Info button as if the mouse is over it, mouse hovering over the Info button makes it pop up a little representing the mouse is selecting it but doesn't highlight it but instead highlights the Exit button. Hovering over the Exit button doesn't highlight it or cause it to be selected at all.

2: Using the Start new project button creates a new one but it doesn't clear the master nodes instead it just keeps adding new ones each time you start a new project.

3: I sent a message earlier regarding some sprites but I'm having some trouble getting any png images I use to be transparent and the feature to adjust where the sprite is placed on the bone is fantastic the way it is described, but idk if its not yet implemented or what but cant seem to use it.

Very nice program so far very professional looking and is working out well for being beta.

Edited by True_Predator, 20 July 2011 - 12:35 AM.

My deviantart page: http://truepredator....rt.com/gallery/    
My Imageshack: https://imageshack.c...r/true_predator :: Signup yourself by visiting this link *please :D*: https://imageshack.c...HZpaelpWdkphpng

Visit my dev blog on my Isometric Engine. Subscribe / follow!   http://vohjiindev.blogspot.com/

Software used: GameMaker: Studio,  Spine Professional http://esotericsoftware.com/ 

#39 Grey Matter

Grey Matter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

This is a great tool. If you're needing encouragement, I'd say this is the kind of tool YoYo should consider as a component of their Sprite Editor.

It certainly has me thinking about some concepts that never made it to the drawing board, simply because the image creation would have simply been to overwhelming. Probably why you made it in the first place.

I'm excited about your work, please continue.

Recomendation: An example would allow you to get a lot more people using and testing this. I'd also say if you linked a library of ready made body parts that you use for your own testing would be great.

-Grey Matter

#40 Research

Research

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Make a extension for real time animation in Game Maker and this project will become epic!

#41 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

let me guess it requires registered version?

#42 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:49 AM

@ True_Predator, minor bugs 1 and 2 are fixed up. On the minor bugs 3 I want to know more what's exactly happening on the transparent sprites you used, also, actually you can do what the game info described it just didn't told you how (sorry my fault) well, you could do translating of sprites via numpad keys:

num4 = move sprite 1px left
num6 = move sprite 1px right
num8 = move sprite 1px up
num2 = move sprite 1px down
num7 = rotate sprite counter clockwise
num9 = rotate sprite clockwise
(note: all the latest bug fix will be available in the next upload)
(I will add shift key to double the number of pixel to move)
Also, thanks for submitting those sprites, they are nicely done, I will surely use them.

@ GreyMatter, thanks pal, those words keeps me motivated in developing this project further.

@ Research, yeah that would be a thing in the near future. Almost everyone asked for that.

@ Melle1, hmmmm... if you mean I used a registered Game Maker version, then yes I did... It would be very difficult to reach what you want to do using unreg GM, especially when you are programming an application tool software, you need more power and registered GM has enough power I reckon for you to achieve what you want. Yes, you may be able to get same result with unreg but it will be awful hard. Now, if you mean people need to use reg version so they can utilize the extension for GM I will develop later, then answer is also yes, I am relying on some registered functions of GM.

Guys, sorry for the lack of updates for Tradnux, I was really busy which renders my focus out of Game Maker entirely, but I can't really leave GM, it is fun and a great learning process as well. I intend to continue my projects in GM, in fact I've created a website called TradnuxGames, there lies every stuff I've made related to Game Maker and Gaming. Please visit and take a look. If you are interested in commenting, suggesting or recommend anything for my site please visit this topic in Web announcement, or you can pm me also if you want your links on my site be included. Thanks.

By the way, I think it is quite important to release a user guide asap... so what is the best manual/help maker do you recommend i use for Tradnux?

Edited by teej, 13 August 2011 - 03:51 AM.

#43 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:39 AM

@ Melle1, hmmmm... if you mean I used a registered Game Maker version, then yes I did... It would be very difficult to reach what you want to do using unreg GM, especially when you are programming an application tool software, you need more power and registered GM has enough power I reckon for you to achieve what you want. Yes, you may be able to get same result with unreg but it will be awful hard. Now, if you mean people need to use reg version so they can utilize the extension for GM I will develop later, then answer is also yes, I am relying on some registered functions of GM.

Never Mind, I can use it. It works great by the way, but some times on my exports, nodes are out of depth. I touched them up in Game Maker, though so its okay. Used It to Make A Pilkin Sprite for the Pilkin Beta New Engine.

Here it is.

Luckily this one strip supported both jump and shoot still frames!

I WILL be adding your logo to the Game Opening, of the Tradnux 2D Animator.
To add Credits.

I'll be posting the Demo to Pilkin Beta, soon tonight. Suprized this Professional Program came From Game Maker!

I give it 9 out of 10 , but only for lack of features, nothing's really wrong except finishing it.
Other than that, 10.

#44 Melle1

Melle1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:40 AM

Never Mind, I can use it. It works great by the way, but some times on my exports, nodes are out of depth. I touched them up in Game Maker, though so its okay. Used It to Make A Pilkin Sprite for the Pilkin Beta New Engine.

Here it is.

Luckily this one strip supported both jump and shoot still frames!

I WILL be adding your logo to the Game Opening, of the Tradnux 2D Animator.
To add Credits.

I'll be posting the Demo to Pilkin Beta, soon tonight. Suprized this Professional Program came From Game Maker!

I give it 9 out of 10 , but only for lack of features, nothing's really wrong except finishing it.
Other than that, 10.

#45 Mr Game

Mr Game

GMC Member

• 177 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

teej, could you make it 1024x600? It doesn't fit my netbook's display...
If you are with us, you are with Gii.
If you are with Gii..... well, you are with us.

-----------

Gii isn't only a team; it's a philosophy of the creativity.

#46 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

UPDATE! after almost a year I decided to put some work on this tiny tool.

Tradnux 2d Animator updated to version v0.9.5.

Version 0.86 beta

- Added Menu Bar options
- Added Point Manager Widget
- Added Project Settings Widget
- Added User Preferences Settings

Version 0.95 beta
- Added File Format Support
- Added Flex Mode options on drawn image parts
- Added functionality to choose output folder
- Updated the Settings Window controls (project, output settings)
- Added Point Manager Sprite Window
- Improved Drawing Speed When Grid is enabled (grid display update)
- Fixed the quick sprite edit box (rotate, flip, reposition)
- Added sprite flexi modes
- Frame interpolations implemented (Smoothen, Reverse)
- Updated bone transform (Width, Length, Scale)
- Load backdrop image

Please see first post to download.
3 Sample files are also included in the download.

By the way...
@Mr Game, I haven't done anything that solves that yet though... however you can try hitting f4 to stretch it.

Please report any bugs you find. And please comment about it.

Edited by teej, 03 July 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#47 gamegear9

gamegear9

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

How do I get this to work? I've never used RAR files... :unsure:

#48 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

How do I get this to work? I've never used RAR files... :unsure:

You need an extractor... download winrar then, RAR is one of the most used archive format other than ZIP. I used it often that I forgot that Windows can't naturally open this file by itself.

#49 ryguydavis

ryguydavis

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

This is brilliant. Get this fully functioning and you would have no problem selling it (especially in light on the funds raised by the crowdsourced Spriter), or at the very least providing a quality alternative to programs of a similar nature. I fully plan on using this from now on.

I did find myself attempting to highlight several nodes at a time only to discover this was not possible. I managed to figure things out, but it was a bit of an odd experience to have to work one node at a time. I also could not figure out how to save to a single file (it saved a huge pile of single images, even though I asked for an animated file). I figured it hadn't been implemented yet. I would also love to see a dynamic crop box which would allow for smaller renderings (rather than having to trim the rendered image myself).

All in all, I want to get my hands on a finished copy. If this means handing you money I will do so.
Posted Image

#50 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for those encouraging words. I am aware of that 'Spriter' program, that has one feature that Tradnux don't have yet, its the ability to export data to be read by (at least) Game Maker and run the animation in there, instead of the use of traditional full frame animated sprites. Anyways, it is as you said, providing a quality alternative.

I don't understand why you need to highlight multiple nodes? Its good though that you picked up how its supposed to work, by manipulating nodes one at a time, it is based on an old stick pivot animator program. I am also planning on implementing a different method, a skeleton less.. like how Spriter does it.

As for the save animation to a 'single file', I have just finished working on implementing the animated GIF format, but it comes with some disadvantage; the file size of the .exe will be doubled. This is because I used an external tool to convert those pile of images into one animated GIF file. But I guess its worth the added size, I guess GIFs are still used in games.

Very nice idea on the 'crop box' thing, I will definitely add that on the Output settings. I don't know why I didn't thought of that before. that's cool.

I guess I may have it as a donation ware once its finished.