#511 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8105 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Big J,

When a pinned topic has a total reputation count of -5 (-6 but the last one was me, so that doesn't count!), and it contains about 10 pages of people saying the topic shouldn't be pinned, it is quite clear that the topic should in fact not be pinned, regardless of what forum section it is in.

If the user, Robinskie, had not been driven away by the fact that the IRC channel more resembles an anti-children channel (see IRC channel description) than a GameMaker Community channel, he would have waited longer, and users, myself included, would have been able to answer his question.

This topic is directly associating the IRC channel with the GameMaker Community, which - whether you like it to be or not - is associated with GameMaker.

Since it is a pinned topic users will assume it is endorsed by the GameMaker Community and its moderators and administrators, and that makes it an indirect representative of the GameMaker Community on the IRC network.

It should not be pinned.

I have voiced my opinion, and I will likely not respond to any posts past this, but I will read them.

IRC is often a poor choice for technical help.

And regarding judging the value of this particular pinned topic by its reputation. That's just silly.

This topic was also created during the time frame where "bots" were negative repping topics. Look at who has negative repped this topic. You will see an overwhelming number of the negative reppers are indeed said bots. Had it not been for them this topic would be in the positives.

So, if one is going to use reputation as argument for a topic and its value, knowing that actual GMC members have really given this this topic a positive rating, then you have to then argue that the positive reputation this topic really has justifies it.

Having said that, I couldn't give a crap one way or the other whether the topic stays pinned or dropped off into oblivion. The few times I'e gone to it< I see a bunch of idlers or non-sense.

#512 PonggerMan

PonggerMan

The one who stood.

• GMC Member
  • 39 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Personally, I don't think pinned topics (especially in Off Topic) necessarily imply the GMC endorses them.  However, I understand Jobo's point of view.  And it's a valid concern.  

But I haven't visited this chat site and have no idea what's discussed there.   So I'll leave it to the moderator / administrator who pinned it to decide.

You should come by some time, you may like it. :)

#513 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5258 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:35 AM

I've unpinned this thread multiple times in the past, only to have other moderators re-pin it simply because they use it. This thread is not special and has no place at the top of Off Topic. By having it pinned it is effectively being endorsed by the site moderators, and beginners will (clearly) visit it expecting a quality IRC channel...which is not what they find.

Edited by True Valhalla, 01 April 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#514 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3800 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

and why it's an absolute outrage that TheSnidr keeps pinning this against other moderators' opinions

I have seen no indication of this - and I'd prefer not to have a generic opinion shoved into my direction.

#515 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7096 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

I've unpinned this thread multiple times in the past, only to have other moderators re-pin it simply because they use it. 

That wasn't the reason.  They re-pinned it to annoy you.

You should come by some time, you may like it.  :)

I might.  Should I masquerade as roytheshort, like everyone else?

#516 3D2DGAMES

3D2DGAMES

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:05 AM

I really like the channel. It is faster to get a response when you have a question than the forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users