8 replies to this topic

#1 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

This was my entry for the 2nd GMC Jam, took me roughly 35 hours total. The theme being insanity my mind immediately went to chaos and destruction, however insanity can also be loneliness. So while Creeping Insanity can get pretty chaotic I also wanted to put in that feel of loneliness and emptiness, which is why there is no sound, only one music track.

I'm not sure how well I pulled it off so you guys be the judge.

Screenshots (taken with v1 but should still apply):

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

This is the info taken from the game, there is a tutorial but I wrote this up just it case (Make sure you either play the tutorial or read this!):
Spoiler

Download (4.93mb):

Host-a.net
Game Jolt

(A lot of complaints about the lag, in this version I got to wave 100 without going below 25 fps)
Change log is on Game Jolt, but v2 includes lots of fixes plus 2 new enemies. This will probably be my last major update for now, I will still fix bugs and such.

Hope you enjoy, criticism and praise very much welcomed ^_^

Credits:

IceMetalPunk - Sprite wave effect from Iceeffects Engine (used in my pause menu).

Edited by creativebunch, 12 May 2011 - 12:09 PM.

#gmc - It's the goddamn GMC IRC
Beat Hell Pre-Alpha v2.1.0 | Slender2d | Creeping Insanity

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png
I am looking for a pixel/3D artist to team up with me to work on some games. Send me a message if interested.

#2 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

wow, it was a very cool game. the worst part is that I quickly maxed out my laptop at stage 10 or so.
you could give us a settings menu and allow to reduce the particles?

the game was addicting, great looking, but was lacking sound.

poof_sig.png

#3 Lightang3l

Lightang3l

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

I reached Wave 19 ... but man... this game has serious issues like a FPS count of 1 FPS !! :o A single frame per second! on a Dual Core Intel, 2GB RAM, 8800GTX! :huh:

Any way... even more frustrating (if you can imagine) is the fact that the camera shake is so severe when you kill many enemies at a time that it actually has a seizure and flies off screen ... and then it calms down.

Those green trails are your main problem, and the particles your bullets leave behind also slow it down

Aside from that it's a good game. I'm paused at Wave 19 at the moment. Gonna go back and play after 5 minutes.

Cheers.

- Light

EDIT: I quit at wave... 22 or 23.. can't remember. I was almost invincible and the frame rate was <1

Posted Image

Edited by Lightang3l, 02 May 2011 - 12:49 PM.

New_Sig_small.jpg

Newsig.jpg

#4 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:58 PM

Haha that picture is just epic :lol:

Sorry I didn't reply quickly, I was busy updating the game, I've noticed all those problems and they are now as fixed as I could do in the time I had. Here is a list of the main things I've changed/added:

Options menu - You can turn particles and interpolation on and off.
Fixed the "seizure".
Reduced the trail.
Made the enemies just slightly harder.
Fixed some other things but can't remember right now.

The new download is up (v1.1.0)

@Newly Discovered: I didn't add in sound because every sound I tried destroyed the atmosphere and I don't have enough time to find any that work with it.

I actually like this game for the time I had to make it so I'll probably keep updating it until I get bored :P

Thanks for playing!

Edited by creativebunch, 03 May 2011 - 12:08 AM.

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png
I am looking for a pixel/3D artist to team up with me to work on some games. Send me a message if interested.

#5 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

I've just played this, and written a typical Jam "mini review", which will be available in the Jam topic when I have done the rest of the games :)

#6 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

I've just played this, and written a typical Jam "mini review", which will be available in the Jam topic when I have done the rest of the games :)

Thanks for that long review Soulsnatcher :) I realised too late the I had forgotten to implement losing :lol: Upgrading health is actually very essential in the new version I'm working on ;)

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#7 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

From GJ, here's a bump too :)

This was actually pretty neat. I really liked the tone that you created (in particular that creepy music track) and the graphical effects were fitting.

The gameplay was a little unvaried but was addictive enough to keep me playing for at least 15-20 minutes. The game got too laggy at each round from then on, so I had to quit. My PC nearly froze completely n_n

Great atmosphere, decent gameplay, and nice effects - a great effort for the timeframe.

Can't believe I missed your post :wacko: Thanks for the comments (and the bump :P) The lag was a huge problem in the previous versions so I've gotten rid of pointless effects or changed them, I get no major lag now. Oh and the two new enemies give a bit more variety :)

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#8 Pro Pro.

Pro Pro.

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:47 AM

very cool game. I would suggest that the game stops when the form looses focus though. In my personal opinion, i would make the spark shot, and upgrades build slightly faster, this will mean you can put more enemies on screen earlier on and REALLY get some insanity going.

Good job.

#9 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

very cool game. I would suggest that the game stops when the form looses focus though. In my personal opinion, i would make the spark shot, and upgrades build slightly faster, this will mean you can put more enemies on screen earlier on and REALLY get some insanity going.

Good job.

Thanks for the input ProPro. I was planning to set the focus thing early on, guess I just forgot :P I bumped up the upgrades a few times but I'll probably increase them again soon, along with the shock power ;)

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png