how to make a compass in 3d?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jackbbod.

jackbbod.

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

dose any body know how to put a compass in your 3d game on the ortho projection and have it aim towards your objectives and if you do please help thank you <_<

i just want a compass to point towards my objective no matter wat direction im looking in you know like crime life 3

Edited by jackbbod., 02 May 2011 - 01:19 AM.

#2 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9429 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:21 AM

This isn't exclusive to 3D. Try to picture what it would look like if you were making a top down game (since you essentially are)

#3 jackbbod.

jackbbod.

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

This isn't exclusive to 3D. Try to picture what it would look like if you were making a top down game (since you essentially are)

its not a top down shooter its a fps games im trying to get the arrows to point towards my objectives

#4 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

its not a top down shooter its a fps games im trying to get the arrows to point towards my objectives

Point your camera directly down on to everything. BattleRifle didn't mean that you're making a TDS specifically, the concept behind a compass in 2D is almost the same as a compass in 3D.

Ignore the z component and have it work in 2D.

-MoK

#5 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9429 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

When I said that it isn't exclusive to 3D, did that not show you that I know what I'm talking about? When you place items in a room, can't you see that it has the same concept as a 2D game? If you don't realize these things, 3D is going to be that much more difficult.

#6 jackbbod.

jackbbod.

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:43 AM

When I said that it isn't exclusive to 3D, did that not show you that I know what I'm talking about? When you place items in a room, can't you see that it has the same concept as a 2D game? If you don't realize these things, 3D is going to be that much more difficult.

i dont get what ya talking about but heres and example that im working if can plz help please http://www.host-a.ne.../ememy test.gmk THANKS

#7 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:00 AM

do you mean a compass that points in a direction regardless of how high or low you are looking, or a compass that points from you'r camera towards a point in 3d space - like hit indicators.

#8 jackbbod.

jackbbod.

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

do you mean a compass that points in a direction regardless of how high or low you are looking, or a compass that points from you'r camera towards a point in 3d space - like hit indicators.

a compass that points towards my objectives or my enemys like in crime life 3

if can help plz the link is here http://www.host-a.ne.../ememy test.gmk

Edited by jackbbod., 02 May 2011 - 01:22 AM.

#9 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:23 AM

I played that AGES ago, if you look at it and then look directly up, does the compass point up or down?

#10 jackbbod.

jackbbod.

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:30 AM

I played that AGES ago, if you look at it and then look directly up, does the compass point up or down?

when i look up and down it dosnt do any thing the compass that i have only moves when i move in x,y but i dont want it like that i want so that no matter what direction im looking in as long as the compass points towards my objectives heres what i have draw_sprite_ext(spr_aww,-1,314,257,2,2,point_direction(obj_man.x,obj_man.y,-enemy_bullets.hspeed,-enemy_bullets.vspeed),c_white, 1) and heres the example http://www.host-a.ne.../ememy test.gmk its not the way i want it to be

#11 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9429 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:00 AM

i dont get what ya talking about but heres and example that im working if can plz help please http://www.host-a.ne.../ememy test.gmk THANKS

Did it never occur to you that you're creating a top down game that draws in 3D? Keep that in mind and you'll get the hang of it.

#12 TheMusicDork

TheMusicDork

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:36 AM

Replace obj_man.x & y with zero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users