#1 Crystal Noir

Crystal Noir

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 88 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hi all :)

I've just bought Game Maker 8.1. I've seen that there is no softwrap system now. But How works the licence ? I mean, how many installations can be done ? Can I install it on a second computer ? Is there a limit ?

I ask the question because the GM FAQ is not updated with the new licence system.

Thank you in advance :)

Happy Gm !

(Sorry for my poor english)

#2 phoelich

phoelich

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

I installed it on my desktop computer and my laptop without problems.
I don't know how many installs can be made, but at least 2 :)

#3 Crystal Noir

Crystal Noir

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:30 AM

I installed it on my desktop computer and my laptop without problems.
I don't know how many installs can be made, but at least 2 :)

That's good :)

But could we have the new conditions for the new licence system somewhere ? I'm going to install it on my Eeepc too, but don't know if later we will have to reset the licence if we have to reinstall our systems.

#4 W3Geek

W3Geek

GMC Member

• 541 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

I would like to know this also.

I think licensing systems are dumb. You pay money for something you can only install two times.

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7108 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:12 AM

I think licensing systems are dumb. You pay money for something you can only install two times.

What makes you think the limit is only two? Unless you know it's true, it's kind of childish to complain about it.

The previous install limit was five. Is there any reason to think YoYo has reduced it?

#6 Crystal Noir

Crystal Noir

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

Perhaps they grow the number of time we can install it ;)

I don't know. I just want to know their policy about the new licence system :)

#7 W3Geek

W3Geek

GMC Member

• 541 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

What makes you think the limit is only two? Unless you know it's true, it's kind of childish to complain about it.

The previous install limit was five. Is there any reason to think YoYo has reduced it?

I was not meaning 'two' installs literally... Question is do you get your install back once you uninstall? If so then I am complaining about nothing. :P I just believe its very stupid that you have to pay money 'something that you have to work hard for' to only be able to install five times. I know this method is to prevent piracy but they need to come up with a different method.

Edited by extrickster, 29 April 2011 - 11:45 AM.

#8 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7108 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

I was not meaning 'two' installs literally... Question is do you get your install back once you uninstall? If so then I am complaining about nothing. :P I just believe its very stupid that you have to pay money 'something that you have to work hard for' to only be able to install five times. I know this method is to prevent piracy but they need to come up with a different method.

3-5 installs isn't very restrictive -- given that most users have at most 2-3 computers.

Besides, Softwrap was always very good about granting additional installs if members needed it -- like after a crash, or for a new computer. All you had to do was ask.

No reason to think YoYo won't do the same. It doesn't put a serious burden on anyone. But it does discourage kids from passing their licenses around.

#9 W3Geek

W3Geek

GMC Member

• 541 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, it is not very restrictive.

Question is though, does it give you an install back once you uninstall from a computer?

I just tested with GM8 PRO, Installed and Uninstalled six times no error messages. I guess I was complaining about diddly-squat.

I thought you could only install five times and that was it! ;)

#10 PwnageMage

PwnageMage

Nobody Pwns This Mage

• 1864 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

Question is though, does it give you an install back once you uninstall from a computer?

I just tested with GM8 PRO, Installed and Uninstalled six times no error messages. I guess I was complaining about diddly-squat.

Your registration information is still there, even when you uninstall and then reinstall.

#11 W3Geek

W3Geek

GMC Member

• 541 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

Your registration information is still there, even when you uninstall and then reinstall.

Out of those six times I only had to enter my registration information back in once.

#12 stopmotionheaven

stopmotionheaven

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

I have installed it on my old desktop, an external hdd (for 2nd pc) and new laptop (3rd) problem free!

Edited by stopmotionheaven, 17 March 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#13 Starz0r

Starz0r

MIKU MIKU MIKU

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

I have installed it on my old desktop, an external hdd (for 2nd pc) and new laptop (3rd) problem free!

Since were all talking about licenses here. I actually didn't know you could reinstall GameMaker on another computer until a couple of months back. I had got a new computer (Because old one was old as ****) and I had got a pirated license(Don't ban me for that Admins :whistle: ). That license for some reason kept giving me the "Couldn't Find Valid Runner Data" error. So I looked back to see if it would take my old license and amazingly it did. :happy:

#14 Stian Aune

Stian Aune

GMC Member

• 131 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Sorry for high-jacking the thread, but how long do you have to wait until you get the license? I purchased it yesterday, and have still not received it; I'm starting to worry. :(

(I don't believe my question is worth its own thread.)

EDIT: Pardon me for my stupidity; I should have read the FAQ first. :$

Edited by Stian Aune, 21 March 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#15 Starz0r

Starz0r

MIKU MIKU MIKU

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

You usually don't have to wait at all :/. What is your email?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users