One Curious Nightfall

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 peppr

peppr

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:11 AM

A short interactive story about a girl who finds a mysterious pouch, and must return it to the Bird King.

Features:
-Extremely smooth animation
-Detailed HD pixel graphics, with each of the 28 rooms having its own unique art
-Beautiful orchestral score by Flashygoodness (Tower of Heaven)

Screens:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Download: Click Here

Mirrors:
Click Here
Click Here

Devlog - contains notes on my process/software used/random art statistics:

#2 The Guy 123

The Guy 123

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

Really, I just love the art, it's brilliant, the same goes for the soundtrack too, i would sometimes just stop in rooms just to admire the music put together with the scenery. Really smooth animation too, though there was one thing that let it down but wasn't too bad, and it was the platform bugs, sometimes I would jump up and hit a solid block and just skip through it and end up stuck above a block that i shouldn't be able to get to, so i had to restart the game, there was also a time when i jumped and pressed a directional key and i ended up landing and stuck with my character facing right and i could move left and right, but couldn't do anything else... well apart from those (I tried to ignore those bugs) it has a really nice feel to it, though some rooms felt incomplete and empty, the lack of tiles or blocks, such as the first red tiled room (I think)... oh yeah, your on indie games (thats how i found this game): http://indiegames.co..._cangelosi.html

#3 peppr

peppr

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

Really, I just love the art, it's brilliant, the same goes for the soundtrack too, i would sometimes just stop in rooms just to admire the music put together with the scenery. Really smooth animation too, though there was one thing that let it down but wasn't too bad, and it was the platform bugs, sometimes I would jump up and hit a solid block and just skip through it and end up stuck above a block that i shouldn't be able to get to, so i had to restart the game, there was also a time when i jumped and pressed a directional key and i ended up landing and stuck with my character facing right and i could move left and right, but couldn't do anything else... well apart from those (I tried to ignore those bugs) it has a really nice feel to it, though some rooms felt incomplete and empty, the lack of tiles or blocks, such as the first red tiled room (I think)... oh yeah, your on indie games (thats how i found this game): http://indiegames.co..._cangelosi.html

I noticed those bugs long ago (it's embarrassing to be so inexperienced as to not be able to properly fix them), but I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway! Thanks for playing!

#4 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1640 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:02 AM

The glitches ruins the experience a little bit (had to restart because I got stuck in a wall), but it doesn't really matter that much because this is an amazing piece of art.

Incredible graphics, detail, animations, and lovely character design. Even with nearly no gameplay, I wish the game lasted at least an hour, which is a great achievement.

Good job making this very charming game. Hope to see some of your futur works!

#5 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

I opened the game, watched the load image appear, everything started going extremely slow on my computer, at least 2 minutes pass and the load image is still sitting there. So I ctrl+alt+del'ed it.
Am I the only one with this loading problem?

#6 peppr

peppr

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:22 AM

I opened the game, watched the load image appear, everything started going extremely slow on my computer, at least 2 minutes pass and the load image is still sitting there. So I ctrl+alt+del'ed it.
Am I the only one with this loading problem?

The only solution I can think of is to make sure that no other program is running when you try to open it. It's actually a very memory intensive program. Aside from that, I'm not really sure what could have caused that. Maybe the file's corrupted? Or maybe your computer doesn't have enough memory? I hope that helps.

#7 Aski

Aski

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:31 AM

That animation is absolutely brilliant! I would love to help you fix the platforming bugs or maybe collaborate on future projects!

#8 peppr

peppr

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:21 AM

That animation is absolutely brilliant! I would love to help you fix the platforming bugs or maybe collaborate on future projects!

I think I'll focus making animated films in the future as opposed to games, but thanks for the offer! If I do decide to make another game, you'll be the first person I come to.

#9 CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

This was an absolutely fantastic experience to try out. The art style was really nice, and I liked the parallax effects that you gave this game's background. It gave the look of the area a very deep depth and feeling. I also liked how various different rooms had different camera angles, and as you got closer, you could see more detail in the girl's emotional face. I really liked that.

I was quite surprised to read that flashygoodness had composed the music, too. I love flashygoodness' music (who doesn't?), and I think the soundtrack blended very well with the art.

As everyone had already mentioned, though, the gameplay was very glitchy, and you could easily get stuck in some areas. This did ruin the experience for me somewhat, as I had to restart from the very beginning when accidentally getting stuck in a wall.

Though that flaw may be there, this animation doesn't fail to deliver the emotional message that it does. No dialogue was used, and everything was told by actions. This game was very powerful in conveying the message, and I look forward to any future games/animations you may release in the future.

#10 Super-mario Bros

Super-mario Bros

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:47 AM

The animations and pixel art are absolutly briliant!!! This game is very visually apealing!

but...

As other people have said, there are quite a few bugs and glitches... example: i jumped while in a cave and got stuck in the ceiling.

All in all, it is a great game!

#11 Christa

Christa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

WOW... this was beautiful. I'm amazed, honestly; this is some of the best artwork I've ever seen in a pixel game, let alone a user-created game... stunning work. Very smooth. The glitches, unfortunately, are a huge problem. I think this could be a widespread, well-known game if you were able to work out the glitches.

Have you ever heard of Tale of Tales? This reminded me of something that group would do.

http://tale-of-tales.com/

You might want to consider joining their team, honestly.

#12 numbers

numbers

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

If you're still up to doing more artwork for this i'd suggest a couple of transition sprites. Namely, the walking/running animations are so beautiful that when they go to the standing sprite it's really jarring. Other than that, oh my god it's amazing. Since most people here come from a programming perspective, we don't see environments like that very often. The smoothest, most fluid 2D animation I've seen in a game combined with some stunning scenery, unique yet appropriate feats of perspective and a score that ties the whole thing together. wow. There was nothing to do but walk along and appreciate the environment, but really, that's more than I could have asked for. well done.

#13 Lethalanvas

Lethalanvas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

I was ensnared by the presentation of this game only to be let down by the buggy collision coding. A bit more polish and this would be a real treat.

(I'm stuck in the game though, I don't know how to move on past a cave I found in the ground)

#14 clod14

clod14

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:18 AM

did i really just download this and in like 5 min beat it... ... .. yep yep i did.
but other than that beautiful graphics!! i mean it, and i didnt know where the hell i was going i just kept going lmao. and got to the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users