• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 head_removalist

head_removalist

GMC Member

• 409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

I had GM4Mac installed a while ago, fiddled around with it (loading up .gm6 files) and decided that it was too buggy (or my code needed too much tweaking)

I recently installed GM4Mac Lite with the intention of creating a game from scratch on my Mac.

GM4Mac freezes when I try to: Open File, Save File, Create Sprite... and so on. The application launches, I see the application, but pressing ANYTHING causes it to freeze. I noticed that the Open Recent option still points to an old file in a folder that probably doesn't exist anymore. I can see how this might effect anything that uses the OS file dialog, like Open and Save, but I don't see why it would effect anything in a fresh project. Unless there is a problem with the temp folder.

I'm really glad I didn't purchase it earlier today, opting to check the Lite version first.

Has anyone else had similar issues with GM4Mac? Is/was this a common problem? Any way to "clean" install (removing the preferences file didn't work)?

#2 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9414 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

I haven't heard of this problem before, but I went straight for the pro version, I never got the lite version. Lucky for me, it worked straight off the bat.

You can get several app deleting programs that claim to remove other files associated with the app when deleting. You could try running one of those, restarting, then try running GM again. One I've found by a quick Google is http://onnati.net/apptrap/ although I haven't actually used it myself.

#3 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:25 AM

I had GM4Mac installed a while ago, fiddled around with it (loading up .gm6 files) and decided that it was too buggy (or my code needed too much tweaking)

I recently installed GM4Mac Lite with the intention of creating a game from scratch on my Mac.

GM4Mac freezes when I try to: Open File, Save File, Create Sprite... and so on. The application launches, I see the application, but pressing ANYTHING causes it to freeze. I noticed that the Open Recent option still points to an old file in a folder that probably doesn't exist anymore. I can see how this might effect anything that uses the OS file dialog, like Open and Save, but I don't see why it would effect anything in a fresh project. Unless there is a problem with the temp folder.

I'm really glad I didn't purchase it earlier today, opting to check the Lite version first.

Has anyone else had similar issues with GM4Mac? Is/was this a common problem? Any way to "clean" install (removing the preferences file didn't work)?

What operating system are you running (as in 10.4, 10.5..)

#4 head_removalist

head_removalist

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

What operating system are you running (as in 10.4, 10.5..)

In an unrelated turn of events, I ended up with a new computer.

I'm running 10.6, GM4MAC is working on this machine.

I cannot believe they are selling this, it's horrible. So many bugs and broken features; no tile transparency in room builder, horrible behaviour in the script editor and the occasional error whilst editing (not even running my game). It's impossible for me to create a game from scratch in GM4MAC. Sorry, just had to vent, I expected that since it was for sale, it was atleast shelf-ready.

I really hope they update it soon, or release this GM Studio thing.

:angry:

You can get several app deleting programs that claim to remove other files associated with the app when deleting. You could try running one of those, restarting, then try running GM again. One I've found by a quick Google is http://onnati.net/apptrap/ although I haven't actually used it myself.

For information's sake, AppCleaner is great and free. It just removes preference files and other files not contained within the .app container.

Edited by head_removalist, 11 May 2011 - 01:42 PM.

#5 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

I cannot believe they are selling this, it's horrible. So many bugs and broken features; no tile transparency in room builder, horrible behaviour in the script editor and the occasional error whilst editing (not even running my game). It's impossible for me to create a game from scratch in GM4MAC. Sorry, just had to vent, I expected that since it was for sale, it was atleast shelf-ready.

I really hope they update it soon, or release this GM Studio thing.

Although the stability in Windows is far superior (and the features, too.... :(), I think you should give GM4Mac a bigger chance. It's got its quirks, yes, but once you get used to them AND learn to apply Game Maker inside a Mac OS X environment properly, you'll find that it's a great tool.

It actually has some 'features' over GM4Win that I've discovered due to the way Mac OS X works. Stuff that the OS brought over and GM4Mac inherited.

:)

Edited by ugriffin, 11 May 2011 - 05:17 PM.

#6 head_removalist

head_removalist

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

Although the stability in Windows is far superior (and the features, too.... :(), I think you should give GM4Mac a bigger chance. It's got its quirks, yes, but once you get used to them AND learn to apply Game Maker inside a Mac OS X environment properly, you'll find that it's a great tool.

I've reverted to how I was before it was released from beta, eagerly awaiting a version of Game Maker on my Mac. I really expected something that worked smoothly because it was now for sale.

I see from your sig that you might have ties to the bug-fixing progress, any information on when an update is due?

#7 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:35 AM

I see from your sig that you might have ties to the bug-fixing progress, any information on when an update is due?

My sig is for the GMac-Project, an organization dedicated to researching and pushing GM4Mac as far as it can go. So we write Extensions for Mac, we make fixes, this, and that. Right now it's rather bleak (four extensions, I think, and one fix), but soon I'll start documenting everything I've found about GM4Mac (which is quite a lot) to make it something more useful.

We're looking for members of course. If you wanna help the community, you've got the required skills. ;)

YoYo is pretty open about the updates, all you have to do is look at the 'trends'. gm4mac.yoyogames.com is the official bugtracker, YoYo is actively correcting bugs there.

Part of the problem is that the Mac community is very small and very fragmented and the only real work being done to push the platform is being done by 2-3 people here at the GMC. If you want to help improve GM4Mac, I say you should go nuts with the bugtracker. Provide specific examples of the bug on .gmk files. You'd be helping out the community, and yourself, with this. :)

Edited by ugriffin, 12 May 2011 - 03:35 AM.

#8 head_removalist

head_removalist

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

YoYo is pretty open about the updates, all you have to do is look at the 'trends'. gm4mac.yoyogames.com is the official bugtracker, YoYo is actively correcting bugs there.

Excellent, well I've just registered an account so I can check that all out. I assume most of the things I've encountered would have been tagged as bugs by now seeing as they were mostly core features.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users