• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chippyneil

chippyneil

GMC Member

• 4 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

If this is in the wrong thread please move it....My first time posting.

I have a found a solution for those of us having trouble testing Gamemaker 8.1 games with the Sonar Protection that is part of Norton Antivirus.

I simply created a new temp directory on my "C Drive" called C:\GMTempForGamesToRun.
Next in the Gamemaker 8.1 directory I created a text file called "tempdir.txt".
I simply used Notepad to create the text file. All it contains is the location for the new temp directory on "C Drive"

Next open up Norton Antivirus and click on "Settings".
Under "Anitvirus and SONAR Exclusions" click on the second blue "Configure" this is to the right of "Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and Sonar Detection". Simply click the add button at the bottom and browse for the new temp directory you created. In my case this was "C:\GMTempForGamesToRun". Click the apply button and exit out of Norton Antivirus.
We have just told Norton to not monitor this folder. At least this should be the only folder not protected. A virus is unlikely to attack this folder.
Restart Gamemaker 8.1 so it sets itself up to use your new temp folder. No more problems.
I hope this helps you until Norton adds the appropiate fix with an update.

#2 Cubasy

Cubasy

GMC Member

• 149 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:32 PM

I tried it but it didn't work :(
Could you copy and paste what you put in tempdir.txt? I didn't really get what I was supposed to do there, like do I just simply put the location of the new temp directory, without quotes? Or do I have to do something like
tempdir="C:\GMTempForGamesToRun"
?

#3 chippyneil

chippyneil

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:21 AM

I tried it but it didn't work Posted Image
Could you copy and paste what you put in tempdir.txt? I didn't really get what I was supposed to do there, like do I just simply put the location of the new temp directory, without quotes? Or do I have to do something like

?

C:\GMTempForGamesToRun

Did you create this exact directory on your harddrive as well?.

#4 Cubasy

Cubasy

GMC Member

• 149 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

I tried it but it didn't work Posted Image

?

C:\GMTempForGamesToRun

Did you create this exact directory on your harddrive as well?.

Yeah.
I checked what directory the "suspicious" program was running in when it was removed (the program being the temporary file of the game) and it still says that it was in the default temp directory and not the new one I created.

#5 chippyneil

chippyneil

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

Have you put the file "tempdir.txt" in the Gamemaker 8.1 directory.
(You could possibly still have a Gamemaker 8.0 directory).

The easiest way to check the "tempdir.txt" is in the correct directory is to launch Gamemaker 8.1.

Under the Help menu select Open Gamemaker in Explorer. You should see the "tempdir.txt" file there if it is in the correct directory.

My location for Gamemaker 8.1 is as follows..........C:\Users\Neil\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker

Remember that Gamemaker 8.1 has to be restarted for it to initialise the new directory.

I hope this helps.

#6 chippyneil

chippyneil

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:52 PM

I have just received this response from Symantec....

We are writing in relation to your submission through Symantec's on-line Security Risk / False Positive Dispute Submission form for your software being detected by Symantec Software. In light of further investigation and analysis Symantec is happy to remove this detection from within its products.

The updated detection will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available daily, or weekly via LiveUpdate, depending on Symantec product version, or daily from our website at

http://securityrespo...s.download.html.

Decisions made by Symantec are subject to change if alterations to the Software are made over time or as classification criteria and/or the policy employed by Symantec changes over time to address the evolving landscape.

The above fix that I posted is no longer required.

Congratulations to Symantec for fixing the problem so quickly. Awesome response.

I have downloaded....Installed...Tested the update.......All is perfect.

Edited by chippyneil, 03 May 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#7 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7503 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

I have just received this response from Symantec....
<letter>

This is the third such discussion about Norton in as many weeks. After this topic from 2 weeks ago, I filed a report with Symantec, and received the exact same reply. Unfortunately, Norton Sonar (updated yesterday) is still flagging many of my GM games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users