234 replies to this topic

#1 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8218 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

The latest glog gives another peak into the future of Game Maker.
http://glog.yoyogame...p=3248#comments

The program includes a demo of "Game Maker Beta 8.1 Pro", and within an Export to option. This allows exporting to PC, Mac OS X, iPhone, iPad, Android, PSP, HtML 5".

Within the comments, Stuart Pool, refers to the new package as Game Maker Studio, and users no longer need to publish through YYGs.

April 22nd, 2011 at 12:58 pm
When Game Maker Studio is released (TBC), it will allow developers to make and release their games independently from YoYo Games.

This third tier of GameMaker explains the renaming of Pro to Standard, and appears to allow what many have been demanding since the ability for cross-platform.

Russell Kay then suggests it's still months away

April 22nd, 2011 at 2:15 pm
@All – This video was made using an earlier version of 8.1 (hence the Game Maker and the Pro) with some home cooked goodness – it is a hint of things to come and we are sharing it with you. We cannot set estimated dates yet so do not get too excited; more announcements will follow in the future, it will be months though not days or weeks.

This is a separate product(s) not the next Standard or Lite.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 22 April 2011 - 02:18 PM.

#2 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4031 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

The program includes a demo of "Game Maker Beta 8.1 Pro", and within an Export to option. This allows exporting to PC, Mac OS X, iPhone, iPad, Android, PSP, HtML 5".

Now this is pretty awesome.

Edited by Davve, 22 April 2011 - 02:16 PM.

#3 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4238 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

Now everyone predict the price.

$200 ?

$300 ?

#4 ani12321

ani12321

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

$200 ?

$300 ?

ooo not so much i think it will be $100

#5 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 1984 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

Yep.
Pretty Legendary announcement! :ph34r:

Now peeps will have the option to work with YoYo *or* go it alone. :)

I believe that deafening howl of defeat & despair that's echoing throughout the lands is a duet of sorts...
coming from Unity & GameSalad HQ :whistle:

#6 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8218 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

No reason to not include YT video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDyojHqlfuE

$200 ?

$300 ?

I predict a price of $199(US)

Based on the statement Sandy said in the GMB interview.
http://gamemakerblog...er-html5-addon/

If we do HTML5 I can guarantee you that it’s a product. It’s not something for us to play with.

I’ve called it an addon as I want people to realise that it’s not an upgrade to Game Maker. We live with the legacy of this $25 product, I just want to try and help people understand as early as possible that it might not be another $25 product here. It won’t be thousands, it won’t even be hundreds.

Anybody care for a friendly little wager?

I also predict that no matter what the price people will complain it's too expensive and not fair that they're entitled to it, and not everyone has that kind of money.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 22 April 2011 - 02:43 PM.

#7 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

Gimmeh!

This looks sounds is awesome, from what I've read.

I crossed out looks because it's hard to see much of anything on a tiny YT video, and sounds because I don't have a sound card..

Edited by theg721, 22 April 2011 - 02:48 PM.

#8 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

I also predict that no matter what the price people will complain it's too expensive and not fair that they're entitled to it, and not everyone has that kind of money.

People do that about GM Standard, and it's still $25. Of course they'll complain.

#9 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 1984 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

I won't take ya up on your wager NPT...
but I agree that no matter what the cost, there will be those who insist on whining about it.
Ah, the GMC just wouldn't be the same without the whine!

Pure speculation, but I kinda suspect that there'll be a few different packages when the time comes...
(ie: additional porting to just iPhone/Pad or just Android or just HTML5)....
I can't see everyone wanting to port to every format (& it would be nice if we could choose exactly what we wanted)...
that might be a bit of a pain to handle on YoYo's end tho?, not sure...
(possibly some kinda paid upgrade options/switches for each format within a single "Studio"?... hmmm.)

I think at the end of the day, YoYo are really cracking our options wide open here...
so whatever way this is released & whatever the cost - this is *great* news!

I also really like that this is gonna attract a pile of "pro" developers...
I can see the GMC booming with creative talent pretty soon!

Let the good times roll! :)

PS: Worth adding that sticking to working with YoYo (rather than going it alone) is still a good thing. I think it's still the right choice for the younger crowd & for those who won't be able to afford "Studio". I think it's still the right choice for those not prepared to put the extra effort & cash into advertising/promoting their game. And I also think it's still the right choice to more directly support future GM dev (with the % cut)...
just something to bear in mind.
Anyway, I reckon all the choices (Lite, Standard, & "Studio") will comfortably co-exist & appeal to different mindsets. It's all very tasty. :)

Edited by dadio, 22 April 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#10 hermanshooltz

hermanshooltz

GMC Mamba

• 1253 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

Looks very nice indeed!

And if NPT guessed with the price - it is more then reasonable.

#11 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4277 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

Really neat. Really, really neat. Even though I'm no mad game designer, I'd love to buy it, just so I could make games for some of my friends and I to play on some of our smartphones, not even using iTunes to sell the game, but just distributing it among friends for my own kicks.

#12 mrme

mrme

GM Pro

• GMC Member
  • 222 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

My guess is that it will cost $100
Why do you think YoYo Games won't confirm this will actually export to all these formats.

Does this mean we will be able to export our games to iOS, Android, and PSP, if we buy GameMaker Studios?

No answer

The Game Maker Blog has also said

No comments had been made publicly regarding the release of a self-publishing or white label solution for iPhone, iPad and Android however.

Do they want to make another announcement or will they not allow us to export to all these formats.

Edited by mrme, 22 April 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#13 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

"YYG does not comment on rumors or speculation".

#14 nickydude

nickydude

MadLad Designs

• GMC Member
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

I predict around $299, why? Because of all the different platforms it can output, plus it's not going through yoyo so, in theory, you could make a hell of a lot of money. Just my guess anyway. :)

#15 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2842 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

Interesting though I'd like to know more about how we would go about publishing a game on the PlayStation Store without YoYo's help and whether it would have to be submitted directly to Sony? Guess I'll find out when this is all done.

#16 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

They said it would never happen. GM on anything other than windows. Look at us now.

What an exciting time to be a GM user.

#17 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21559 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

Personally I don´t give a damn about the price... I´ll pay any reasonable price if it gives me the freedom to do what I want with my work! Looking forward to more news on this developement...

#18 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

Since I'm already doing commercial stuff, as a commercial GM dev, this news is a godsend. I almost pissed myself, the implications are awesome.

I know a few other commercial devs, I'm sure they're pretty excited too. This is great progress by YoYo Games, I congratulate them.

:)

#19 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

This is great news. This should silence all of those damn YoYo bashers. Should. Unfortunately, some people are just never happy.

While I probably wont be buying this(I don't have the money), this is great for the people who do have the money to buy this and want to publish independently.

#20 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 7465 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

I'm not going to make wild guesses on the pricing. I do predict that they will have a fixed fee for Game Maker, with additional, separately licensed exports per platform, as add-ons to the product.

#21 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1604 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

Well, this is definitely some interesting news. I had previously assumed that things like the Sony PSP SDK license would've prevented them from making something like this; in a way you avoid having to pay for a it - though I hear now that it's a fairly low price, or even free now? I haven't kept up with it too much.

At any rate, I hope this is enough of an eye-opener to those who once thought GM wasn't for professionals. Just goes to show that once you're given the easy way into the market, anything's "professional".

EDIT: That's not to say they won't have to face advertising/marketing/being accepted into mobile markets or anything else. It's the same as it's always been, just more options now.

Edited by Shadow Link, 22 April 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#22 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8218 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

I like the ability to independently publish, especially in combination with all the targets. This might be the catalyst for GameMaker to become a consideration for more serious indie developers.

Having said that, it might very well come into the category of careful what you wish for.

I don't think that many people have a clue about the efforts required to properly market games. They think it's going to be as simple as:
  • Export to iPhone.
  • Submit to Apple.
  • Start counting your money.

I hope YYGs still provides the option to publish through them.

Reading through posts by hpappilon, Mr. Chubigans, rinkuhero, these guys spend an enormous amount of hard work and effort promoting and managing the business side of their publications. They're creating web pages, managing forums, promoting trying to raise the prominence of their games in search engines.

Publishing through YYGs will give creators a prominence that is almost impossible to obtain single handedly. This is time better spent creating more games.

The moment your games is published through YYGs, it's instantly associated with the other YYGs titles, it has presence on 10,000-20,000 ranked Alexa site. You get YYGs support.

What you lose in 50% YYGs fees, you are likely to gain tenfold than had you independently done yourself. You benefit from the knowledge and experience YYGs has derived, instead of going through the costly learning curve yourself. It frees up time for you to develop more games.

This may give you the option, but I think it's a foolish choice to take, especially for inexperienced, unknown developers.

#23 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

This may give you the option, but I think it's a foolish choice to take, especially for inexperienced, unknown developers.

I agree with NPT in some points, the YYG Store is an amazing place to dig yourself a spot in the market.

Yes, I'm a big fan of the YYG Store, and I would probably use it for at least one title, to "see what it's about". However, I disagree about the "foolish choice to take" part, check this little article and this one.

;)

Edited by ugriffin, 22 April 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#24 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3835 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

I like the ability to independently publish, especially in combination with all the targets. This might be the catalyst for GameMaker to become a consideration for more serious indie developers.

Having said that, it might very well come into the category of careful what you wish for.

I don't think that many people have a clue about the efforts required to properly market games. They think it's going to be as simple as:

• Export to iPhone.
  • Submit to Apple.
  • Start counting your money.

I hope YYGs still provides the option to publish through them.

Reading through posts by hpappilon, Mr. Chubigans, rinkuhero, these guys spend an enormous amount of hard work and effort promoting and managing the business side of their publications. They're creating web pages, managing forums, promoting trying to raise the prominence of their games in search engines.

Publishing through YYGs will give creators a prominence that is almost impossible to obtain single handedly. This is time better spent creating more games.

The moment your games is published through YYGs, it's instantly associated with the other YYGs titles, it has presence on 10,000-20,000 ranked Alexa site. You get YYGs support.

What you lose in 50% YYGs fees, you are likely to gain tenfold than had you independently done yourself. You benefit from the knowledge and experience YYGs has derived, instead of going through the costly learning curve yourself. It frees up time for you to develop more games.

The main benefit with being able to "export" yourself isn't that you can publish yourself, it's so that you can choose who to use for publishing.. You're no longer forced to use yoyogames and can take someone who benefits you more (has a larger name with your target audience/specialized etc etc).

I personally hope smarty is correct: I fear the "pro" version would else for me be simply paying for hardly anything I use. (Last time I created an executable / brought a creation to somewhere without gamemaker I can't remember anymore). - I'd gladly pay more for having important language features & the ability to have access to the internal executable data from external dlls. But more than €100,- I can't really afford at this moment.

#25 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 4275 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

Although most of these self-publishing choices are poor choices for inexperienced developers, there are other paths that can be taken.

For example, in my university's job postings list, I'm starting to see a growing number of short-term contracts regarding custom apps and adaptation of existing products into apps (one example being an interactive stress-management manual). If a developer has the experience and skill, being unknown isn't really a factor. Development skills, maturity (emotional and legal, as in 18+ or your jurisdiction's equivalent), some workplace-smarts and proper project management are all that's needed.

But regardless of which path one takes, being able to run and test your own games is still a paramount prerequisite for developing on multiple platforms. NPT has also made a post regarding multi-platform export here. If one can't afford the Studio edition (which I expect to run for about $300, 50% higher than NPT's estimate), I can hardly expect this same person to have access to the hardware required to test and support their products --- a very poor position to be in, if you ask me.

GameGeisha

#26 round

round

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:28 PM

If YoYo Games is developing GameMaker Studio, I suggest that:

1. Please also make GameMaker Studio have the exporting function to SWF format. A lot of websites accept good Flash games and give part of the advertisement income to the developers of these Flash games. Many people want to make Flash games. However, learning Actionscript is not easy for them. Learning GameMaker is much more easier than learning Actionscript. I believe that many people will purchase GameMaker Studio if GameMaker Studio can export to SWF format. Actually, Multimedia Fusion 2 and The Games Factory 2 can export to SWF games. Multimedia Fusion and the Games Factory are main competitors of GameMaker. SWF exporting function will help GameMaker Studio to compete with Multimedia Fusion and the Games Factory.

2. Please also fix screen tearing in GM games. If there is no screen tearing, GM games will look more professional.

Thanks a lot.
B-)..... B-)

Edited by round, 22 April 2011 - 10:44 PM.

#27 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:00 PM

I'm all for self-publishing. Who cares about how experienced you are in business, or as a dev. Same as when you first started GM, you learn on the job, but you always suck at first.

That being said, there is such a thing as biting off more than you can chew. Being a barely competant gam dev doesn't mean you'd be competent at running your own indie biz, or should worry about that until you become even more competent. YYG's publishing is still very cool, that hasn't changed at all, and I'm looking forward to try publish my next game (at least) with them.

And yes, wouldn't mind .swf exporting, too, but hey, I'm sounding very greedy here.

Edit: And as for price, remember YYG's were concerned about GM getting a bad rep, and getting 'blocked' by Apple and such? I'd love to see it cheap($150-less) but....

Edited by Desert Dog, 22 April 2011 - 11:02 PM.

#28 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4238 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

$200 ?

$300 ?

I assume you mean “price”… $1,000,000,000!! (he says holding pinkie to mouth) MWhaaa ha ha ha! :D

Posted Image

#29 mcoot

mcoot

GMC Member

• 387 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hmm. I'd guess, maybe $200? That would be quite reasonable, not that you wouldn't have people complaining about it.

As for self-publishing: I don't think it's wise to self-publish until you are experienced with GM, and know how to manage business as well. It's not as easy as most newbie users think. Having the official channel for games publishing is a good thing, but this option will allow more experienced users to manage it all themselves.

#30 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:58 AM

Yep.
Pretty Legendary announcement! :ph34r:

Now peeps will have the option to work with YoYo *or* go it alone. :)

I believe that deafening howl of defeat & despair that's echoing throughout the lands is a duet of sorts...
coming from Unity & GameSalad HQ :whistle:

No idea bout Gamesalad, but I'm pretty sure that Unity developers don't give a damn even if GM will be able export to Amiga.
They got tons more commercial games released with their engine and a lot of companies using their product. They recently signed a multi-year contract with EA who will be using Unity for AA titles. Yoyogames still got lots of work ahead before even hoping competing Unity. And I doubt they plan to do so anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users