234 replies to this topic

#211 Kisatom

Kisatom

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

Hi all, I have a question for the insiders:
Will the Studio use in script the gyroscope of phones?

Thanks!

#212 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19919 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

I would be surprised if it didn't permit tilt control...

#213 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 7954 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

Thanks!

According to http://www.yoyogames...phone_games.pdf, yes. The following functions are supported:

Tilting

YoYo_GetTiltX()

Returns a value between -1 and 1.

YoYo_GetTiltY()

YoYo_GetTiltZ()

#214 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks!

According to http://www.yoyogames...phone_games.pdf, yes. The following functions are supported:

Tilting

YoYo_GetTiltX()

YoYo_GetTiltY()

YoYo_GetTiltZ()

Ok now that is a useful document! Cheers for uploading it

EDIT: Though is it accurate due to it being 8 months old? Member of Yoyo, mind giving us knowledge of how accurate it is?

Let me provide an example.

Use good programming and documentation style when you create your game. Preferably use scripts and code and add plenty of comments. Give your resources and variables meaningful names and preferably maintain a technical document that describes how your game actually works. Realize that normally the people at YoYo Games will have to do some final changes in your code to make it work correctly on the devices. Hence, it should be easy for them to understand your code. Keep the size of your finished game to under 10-15 MB. Otherwise it will take long to load.

But there are two of Yoyogames's games which are beyond this 15MB limit

https://market.andro...2xsdXNob3QiXQ..
https://market.andro...2xsZWN0b3IiXQ..

Doesn't bother me as me and my team are doing everything we can to cram an RPG into this limit but others may want this question answered.

Edited by King Tetiro, 02 February 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#215 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Doesn't bother me as me and my team are doing everything we can to cram an RPG into this limit but others may want this question answered.

It isn't a hard, or fast rule, the doc is simply about designing iphone games. You want mobile games to load, and run quickly.

To speculate, I assume the GM iOS runner, or code base is quite large. Prison Ball, which is a 2mb-ish file on the PC, (most of which was the GM-runner, anyway). It hits 37 mb on the iPhone, although graphics were re-vamped during the port. Granted, that was in the 'early' days of YYG's porting stages, I imagine (and it would seem) that the file sizes are getting smaller. Also, it incorportes things like game-center, etc, which I have no idea how large they are.

But yeah, I'd assume that GM will run at least 10mb onto your game file, at least, until told otherwise.

#216 minthiha

minthiha

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:30 AM

We hope about (< U$ 100) :D

#217 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

It isn't a hard, or fast rule, the doc is simply about designing iphone games. You want mobile games to load, and run quickly.

To speculate, I assume the GM iOS runner, or code base is quite large. Prison Ball, which is a 2mb-ish file on the PC, (most of which was the GM-runner, anyway). It hits 37 mb on the iPhone, although graphics were re-vamped during the port. Granted, that was in the 'early' days of YYG's porting stages, I imagine (and it would seem) that the file sizes are getting smaller. Also, it incorportes things like game-center, etc, which I have no idea how large they are.

But yeah, I'd assume that GM will run at least 10mb onto your game file, at least, until told otherwise.

That's what I'm assuming as well. I'm predicting that by the time we get our hands on the GM Studio, the advising rule would be greater than 10-15MB.

EDIT: Looking at the file size difference between iPhone and Android for karoshi, I can deduce that the 10-15MB size must be applying to the gmk. Especially as the iPhone game is over 30MB lol

Edited by King Tetiro, 05 February 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#218 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

I have a technical question for GM Studio. How well does MP3s run on iPhones and Android? Not how do they run, how well do they run? Do they run well enough that you can make them loop without the time gap problems you get on PCs or does the problem still prevail?

#219 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9384 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:32 AM

Audio on iPhone does not work at all for HTML5. Android support varies.

#220 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

Audio on iPhone does not work at all for HTML5. Android support varies.

Huh. I wonder why MP3s are constantly talked about positively in the GM Phone handbook thing?

#221 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

Html5. Not native app. GM studio can (or will be able to) export as a native app. Native apps will most certainly be able to play .mp3's. I couldn't comment on whether there would be a break, however. I guess you could try one of YYG's one's, if you can get your hands on an iPhone.

D_Dave either misunderstood you, or was dropping a FYI.

Edited by Desert Dog, 07 February 2012 - 08:06 AM.

#222 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9384 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

Let's pretend it was the latter :P

#223 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

Let's pretend it was the latter :P

Haha I think it was the first one :P

Has anyone actually tried a YYG app which has MP3 music? Does anyone know if there's a gap?

(Staff, this is when you should provide an answer lol :P)

#224 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1160 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

Left a couple of YYG's apps running, the music doesn't seem to have breaks. So if they use mp3s they work fine.

#225 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Left a couple of YYG's apps running, the music doesn't seem to have breaks. So if they use mp3s they work fine.

Ok now we need to know if the apps used mp3s lol

#226 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 1989 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

All our apps use MP3's for the background music, all the sound fx are WAVs - draw your own conclusions....

MP3 playback is always done using the platforms own playback so performance (glitches etc) will be platform dependant this is currently a licensing issue - we are considering an ogg solution which should give consistent performance across platforms..

Russell

#227 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

All our apps use MP3's for the background music, all the sound fx are WAVs - draw your own conclusions....

MP3 playback is always done using the platforms own playback so performance (glitches etc) will be platform dependant this is currently a licensing issue - we are considering an ogg solution which should give consistent performance across platforms..

Russell

I have noticed the licensing issue with MP3s. Don't they start getting iffy the moment you start making n dollars?

Im opening this up to discussion but I don't think iOS devices can play oggs can they?

But if they do, I'd HIGHLY support this. I have contact vorbis before about licensing and they don't mind at all! I think the wise thing would be to credit vorbis of course

EDIT: No iOS devices don't support ogg however if you could manage to get oggs working, I'd EXTREMELY support this. I have never had a moment's problem with oggs plus there's no legal problem

Edited by King Tetiro, 10 February 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#228 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 1989 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

The Licensing on handheld devices is already paid for (by Google and Apple) so MP3 is not a problem there (as long as you use the built in decoder) - Ogg is not supported natively by iOS or Android but we do have access to a decoder that we can use (royalty free), though Ogg still has some potential patent issues hanging over it (some unresolved issues there).

Once we get Studio out the door we will look at all this again once things are more stable.

Russell

#229 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

The Licensing on handheld devices is already paid for (by Google and Apple) so MP3 is not a problem there (as long as you use the built in decoder) - Ogg is not supported natively by iOS or Android but we do have access to a decoder that we can use (royalty free), though Ogg still has some potential patent issues hanging over it (some unresolved issues there).

Once we get Studio out the door we will look at all this again once things are more stable.

Russell

Actually I think Ogg IS supported by Android. Yup, here we go.

http://developer.and...ia-formats.html

Vorbis • • Ogg (.ogg)
• Matroska (.mkv, Android 4.0+)

But Im guessing there's more to the GM Studio holding hands with Ogg?

So what's this built-in decoder you're talking about?

Edited by King Tetiro, 10 February 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#230 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

I believe he's referring to the .mp3 decoder. There are licensing issues with .mp3's, which is why GM uses the windows media player (microsoft has already paid the licensing fee for windows) and I imagine it's a similar situation for things like apple, etc.

If your using your own decoder, I gather you either have to pay a license, or.. well, not really sure. This is just stuff from memory, I've picked up from around the place. :-P

#231 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

I believe he's referring to the .mp3 decoder. There are licensing issues with .mp3's, which is why GM uses the windows media player (microsoft has already paid the licensing fee for windows) and I imagine it's a similar situation for things like apple, etc.

If your using your own decoder, I gather you either have to pay a license, or.. well, not really sure. This is just stuff from memory, I've picked up from around the place. :-P

Oh right of course. Though gotta ask, has these licensing issues been sorted with mp3s, Apple and Google for the GM Studio?

#232 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1160 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Yes, the company that makes the phone's OS pays the license.

#233 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

Hey guys, I got a good debate on with me and few mates about what I call the "Android Screen Scenario". I've been looking at the Android screen resolutions and I've been thinking "How to make sure the game fits all Android screens?" as in the GM Mobile Phone Games handbook it talks about having it at 960x640. But of course we do get devices that are 800x480. Now I have two possible ideas on getting around this.

1. If GM Studio expanded the YoYo_GetDevice() to not only return the device of iOS devices but Android as well. This would allow us to know what screen res device to set it as. However the problem with this is that there are tons of Android devices in comparison. So this idea kind of falls flat unless YoYo can do something uber smart.

2. I read the GM Manual and found these two functions.

display_get_width()
display_get_height()

For those who don't know, these functions return the screen resolution of the laptop/computer screen. Now if YoYo manage to make this function in GM Studio, this would make fitting the game to Android almost extremely easy.

What does everyone think about the Android Screen Scenario? Thoughts?

#234 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9384 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

Or just scale it? http://gmc.yoyogames...1

#235 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Or just scale it? http://gmc.yoyogames...1

What about those who use pixel art? Won't it get stretched incorrectly?

EDIT: I've done some more research and stat counting and here are the most frequent sizes that AREN'T a perfect scaling of 320x240 (Like for instance, 960x640 is 3 (exactly) times the size of 320x240) (I have excluded Android tablets as the tablets are far too scattered in screen res sizes to make an easy counting)

480 x 800 : A staggering 41 devices
540 x 960 : 8 devices
480 x 854 : 12 devices (This one I find surprising. Such an odd resolution)
240 x 400 : 4 devices

That would mean if just scaling was used for games with pixel art, 65 out of 152 devices will go about with decent art quality (This is 43% of devices which use Android)

Edited by King Tetiro, 17 February 2012 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users