How to make good sprites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kingcole12

kingcole12

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hello people I have a problem, I want to make a good GM game but I can not find needed sprites. This happens in most of my games so I get fed up really quick. I was wondering how do I make HD sprites on my own? I can make sprites but not good ones I will give good credit to whoever helps me the most. THANK YOU GMC!!!!!

I am right 97% of the time, who cares about the other 4%?
Check out my sprite/gaming website @ http://kingcolegaming.com/

#2 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

by learning how to make good sprites

FABULOUS

#3 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

First, you posted this inside the Sound and Music section.
Request a move from a mod.
Now, back to the topic.

by learning how to make good sprites

I think spriting is not just defined by style, many people could like one sprite, and others think it ugly.

Usually, like drawing you might want to start with something simple, like the GM sprite editor.
But, with Windows paint you could do a few things that are not included in the editor. But, it doesn't support transparency.
The best way is to find your own style. Make place holders with the circle tool. After a while, use hand-drawn
pixels to make the circle. And to top that all off, is one statement. Find your own style, do you like heavy anti-anialising? Dark colors?
Transparency? Make your own pixel drawings, then use the tools and edit with hand drawn for larger sprites.

The reason so many GM games look pixelated is because the screen zooms up the 640 X 480 image the program supplies.
So, the pixels are STRETCHED, without a filter. However, people are still trying to figure out how to
import the filters. Some are already imported.

P.S. If you don't want to spend the money for PhotoShop, download GIMP, a photoshop clone.
It can do anything PS can do. It just has diffrent menus.
Gimp Download Page

Edited by mrpeanut188, 21 April 2011 - 03:31 PM.

Posted Image

#4 kingcole12

kingcole12

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

Well I want the sprites to be 3D-ish but I need help. I use The built in editor, I find it way better than paint. <_< For example I made a space ship, IT WAS AWFUL AND LOOKED LIKE A SOLID YELLOW BRICK. I just don't know how to make the sprite fit in with the backround, or 3D in game. Oh by the way I have GIMP But I have the same problem. You sorta helped but you know i have in my game a 10,000 by 10,000 pixel room. I found out how to make it just follow your player in 1,000 by 1,000 pixel square.
P.S. how do I request a move!

Edited by kingcole12, 21 April 2011 - 03:40 PM.

#5 Happyman2234

Happyman2234

Happy Productions

• GMC Member
  • 695 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

3D-ish, can be defined as isometic, if you really want to make a high quality isometric drawing (which is 3d-ish) make sure you lines are 90degrees(d), 33d, and sometimes 45(d). You should find it easy enough...

HM2234

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
"The meaning of life can only be determined by the individual living it" Quote from learning AI

if I've managed to help you in any way, please click the Green + icon on the bottom-right of this post, thanks :D

#6 kingcole12

kingcole12

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

mrpeanut188 helped a lot thank you for your helpfulness. I will try what you suggested.

#7 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

you could have a go at learning how shade according to the shape of the object. although normally you can get by with just practicing enough.

it's not something you can do over night, but if you develop the skills they will serve you well

FABULOUS

#8 Rare

Rare

rawr

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

What I do:
1. Think of something to draw-a bunny.
2. Click on the shape tools (square, circle etc.) and start making shapes to fit it.
3. Clear up the inside lines with the rubber tool.
4. Use the pencil tool to fix up outline lining if it looks too 'shapey'.
5. Put detail on it using the pencil or possibly the shape tools.
6. Colour in with the colours it's meant to be.
7. Choose a light source (which way the light would be coming from).
8. Make it get darker and darker the points in the sprite where the sun can not reach.
9. Highlight it- get a lighter colour and put a highlight where the sun is directly hitting.
10. If you still have a black outline around your character and certain parts I strongly suggest
colouring the outline with a much darker shade of the colour it's touching.
11. Animate or just place it in your game :)
._.