Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

40f8.png

Intro
  • You would like to use only Room Editor part of GM8.1
  • You find GM8.1 slower than GM8.0
  • Your parthner did not buy new version yet
  • You did not buy new version yet but enjoy new editor features
  • You would like to make your examples & engines available to GM8.0 users
Does any of above apply to you? Then this program will perfectly suit your needs!
With a single click (or maybe two), you can convert your .gm81 back to .gmk!
And what is good too, it does it in a visually appealing way.
2230a7.png

Download: SolidFiles | MediaFire

Longer description:
This small program nicely demonstrates several new features of Game Maker, like smooth font rendering, new file extension functions, and faster executable start up.
While having a rather small functional part, it can make your life easier (and potentially happier, by reducing ammount of time spent with hex editors).
Additionally it shows a couple of visual techniques, that you might to look at for inspiration. Overall, this is meant to be a nice little program, and I think it does this.

How to use it:
  • To start converting a file, click any area inside the window.
  • A file selection box will appear, promting you to select .gm81 file. Pick the file that you would like to convert.
  • Once conversion starts, you will hear a start signal sound (you can disable sounds by right-clicking the window.
  • As soon as conversion will end succesfully, another (togglable) sound will play, a converted .gmk file will appear in source file's folder.
  • Repeat from Step 1 until satisfied.
FAQ:
  • Q: Isn't changing the file format like... really simple?
    A: Yes, it is simple. This is one of the reasons why the program is done in GameMaker itself.
  • Q: What is the font used in program?
    A: Calibri font was used for this, sizes 12 and 16 accordingly.
  • Q: How is window appearance effect is made?
    A: It is made in a rather simple way - by interpolating window Y from bottom of screen (display_get_height) to its startup value, with use of lengthdir_y to make it less linear.
  • Q: When shutting down the program, a console window appears for a moment sometimes. What is it?
    A: Console window is TaskKill, a standart windows program, used to send shutdown command to other processes. Here, program uses it to prevent itself 'idling' in tasks list in case of crash or error.
Special thanks to:
  • YoYoGames, for bringing the new versions of GM into the world, and fixing bugs in these
  • Electron (aka ElecGM) for providing inspiration for this project
  • DrPetter, for SFXR, which was used to generate sounds
  • Tango desktop project for arrow image, used in program icon
  • SolidFiles and MediaFire for file hosting
So, have fun, and leave comments happy.gif
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#2 SunnyKatt

SunnyKatt

Code Drama

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 704 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:57 AM

Grabbing this in case supersound isn't fixed to work with 8.1 in the next few weeks. Thanks, you saved minutes of my time if I had to otherwise change the format back. :P

newsigp.png

Computer Science / Indie Game Dev. Check my site by clicking above. New game won't be announced for a while; sit tight.

#3 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

Thank you!

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#4 Aragon

Aragon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

Great, now can I use the editor function without buying the new version:)

#5 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

Just wanted to say thanks -- I like GM8.1, and love being able to zoom in the room editor, but it threw a problem for me today and you helped me recover with minumum fuss. The exe I exported from 8.1 was triggering an "unexpected error" at startup on my machine at work, and as I have no admin privileges I couldn't see if it was the anti virus throwing a wobbly (because of the new encryption?). Anyway, I like GM 8.1, but that was a pain, so flipping it back painlessly to GM8 was handy. Cheers.

Barry

Edited by barrya3, 18 April 2011 - 03:33 PM.

#6 whoisit

whoisit

Always Learning

• 242 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

Sticking with GM8 at the moment but nice to know this is here for when I do upgrade.
Need to share your GM creations with others?
Want some help and need to upload some code or an image?
then try Dropbox a 2GB account is free! Click Here

Need more help? why not visit the Master Game Community

#7 GPro

GPro

Gun Powder Games

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

Noooo... Not zips! :o

Very nice and useful tool Yellow :P, the first one applied to me xD

Edit: btw dude, how did you make those nice slide effects? Posted Image

Edited by GPro, 25 April 2011 - 09:20 PM.

Gun Powder Games leader

Join our crew here!

Top Down A.I. Example | RPG Combat System | Level Up System | Shield Example

#8 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

Noooo... Not zips! :o

Gawd, not another anti convenience guy...

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#9 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

I thought converting GM81 to GMK was just a matter of changing a single byte. When I did that manually, though, the converted .GMK opened up in GM8.0, but then threw a strange error (of which I can't remember the text) whenever I tried to run it. Does this converter also have that problem, or was there more than 1 byte I was supposed to change?

-IMP ;) :)

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#10 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

To GPro:
window_set_position(window_get_x(), wy_one + lengthdir_y(wy_one - wy_two, min(1, wy_val) * 90))
Where wy_one - starting window Y (in this case, screen height, wy_two - destination Y (in this case, original window Y), and wy_val - a interpolation variable, that lies in 0..1 range and is oncreased in step even, before calling this function.

To IceMetalPunk:
It is rather hard to guess, what caused an error on your side, and if it will happen after using this tool.
To say, I did not notice any file format difference outside the file header, and did not find files that did not work after processing with this program.
The only thing that comes to mind, that could cause errors, is 'Remember room settings when closing the form' (since now there is zoom value to save), but I don't think that it is saved into GMK.

To everyone:
Thanks! I'm glad that this is usefull.

Total number of downloads have reached 70 (that's over 7.25 downloads per day!)
To 'celebrate' this event, I have made a online version avaible, link to which can be found in first post or here.
Since it uses Flash as runtime enviroment, there are slight differences from GameMaker version:
* Due to recent 'security improvements' you will need to click second time to save the file
* Window slide effect is not avaible due to lack of window.
* Sounds are temporary disabled. Though, I might leave this as-is, because program uses only 2kb space now.
As a addition, online version has a counter that displays total number of GMK's, processed (saved) with it.
This is added because of curiosity, which should not kill the cat in this case.
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#11 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

You can always export resources and load them back on GM8.0, it has the same format as before.

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.

#12 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1609 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

Thank you! Very interesting. $:^ ]

I haven't yet upgraded to 8.1, and I found it nifty to be able to look at the YYG 3D Cubes example in 8.0 yesterday (to view the GML and other setup stuff), not to mention -run- it from 8.0 (in which case I got the same result as the 8.1.71-or-so test exe).

Regards,
theUndiscovered ~ Brandon W. Horton ~ ParodyKnaveBob ~ $:^ J

#13 MrDimwit64

MrDimwit64

GMC Member

• 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:48 AM

thank you! because surfacefix dll does not work with 8.1 (yet?)

#14 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:53 AM

To manuel777:
I like when people bump my topics by providing ways to not use object of topic.

To ParodyKnaveBob:
And yes, that 3d cube thing is a nice perfomance test.

To MrDimwit64:
According to Mike's twitter...
http://twitter.com/#!/mdf200/status/65090405787631616
...these might be avaible pretty soon.
_.png_.gif

#15 Rugos

Rugos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:49 AM

This is magical and rad :lol:

Will use this frequently, thanks.

#16 gmdud

gmdud

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 650 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:13 AM

I thought converting GM81 to GMK was just a matter of changing a single byte. When I did that manually, though, the converted .GMK opened up in GM8.0, but then threw a strange error (of which I can't remember the text) whenever I tried to run it. Does this converter also have that problem, or was there more than 1 byte I was supposed to change?

-IMP ;) :)

I also get an error when trying to run a converted GM8.1 file with gm8, I'm wondering if this could be caused by the re-written font editor? When I look at a font in the converted gm8.1 file in gm8 it says this in the font range "67108896" till "127", When in 8.1 it says "32" till "127". It should be fairly obvious seeing as the font has to save new info into the gmk, like anti-aliasing, But I'm not sure if this is causing the "Unexpected error has occured when running the game."

EDIT: Yes that was indeed the problem, I changed all the fonts range to 32 till 127(or clicked the normal button) and the game ran fine.

Edited by gmdud, 08 May 2011 - 05:15 AM.

Check out my guitar videos on youtube!
Guitar Videos
As i lay dying is sick!

Sector X - Online zombie action!

#17 Cooee

Cooee

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

Thanks so much for this program! You saved me a lot of reprogramming, as for some reason my games have been having massive problems when created with 8.1 (works perfect on my pc but randomly breaks on others)

#18 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

Question.
How did you convert? I made my own conversion script but the file gets corrupted.
My newest website. Check it out!
I support Cryset Games. Make money playing and making games!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
My avatar is best viewed in the lighter GMC theme.

#19 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Someone deserves a kiss! :wub:
Indie is.ME
NNIARFAPTILMTAIK = nikc-nack is a really freakin awsome person that I love more than anyone I know
People say I use "..." too much in my post. I don't understand...
American soldiers do not fight because they hate what is in front of them, but because they love what is behind them
People sleep peaceably in thier beds at night because brave men are willing to do voilence on thier behalf. -George Orwell

#20 njp

njp

Panda

• GMC Member
  • 2342 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Someone deserves a kiss! :wub:

xD

This tool is handy, but i still use gm8.0! :D

[--NJP--]

#21 Guest_ihato_*

Guest_ihato_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

It worked for alot of .gm81-s, but it doesnt work for this one:http://www.filedropper.com/triangle

It says that created file is not .gmk, and it just starts the new game (With no resources).
Do you know why?
Thanks

#22 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

It worked for alot of .gm81-s, but it doesnt work for this one:http://www.filedropper.com/triangle

It says that created file is not .gmk, and it just starts the new game (With no resources).
Do you know why?
Thanks

Because the source file is not a .gm81 nor a .gmk. It's size is zero bytes. In other words, it's just an entirely empty file with a name 'triangle.gm81'.

To answer other compatibility questions, .gm81 file format have changed since the creation of this tool. As more things are added in, conversion process becomes more compilcated. Currently, messed up font range values can be fixed manually, and global game settings flags can be reset by changing anything there and re-saving the game.
_.png_.gif

#23 Guest_ihato_*

Guest_ihato_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hmm, didnt thought of that. I see now.
Thank you.
Your program works great.

#24 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

I am very pleased with your product here, - keep up the good work! :)

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#25 Batch

Batch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:09 PM

Really really nice. (I know this is an old topic, but w/ev).

The problem though, is that GM8.1 has a new font system - thus when converting with GM8.1 fonts used in your code, then it will freeze and break the game.
That's the only thing i've found so far. I don't know if u can fix that, but still a great program.

-CubinJ
~spriter / programer for free~
You may have known me in my past life as CubinJ...

#26 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

Really really nice. (I know this is an old topic, but w/ev).

The problem though, is that GM8.1 has a new font system - thus when converting with GM8.1 fonts used in your code, then it will freeze and break the game.
That's the only thing i've found so far. I don't know if u can fix that, but still a great program.

-CubinJ

As you can see in replies above, that happens because of fonts using additional bytes to store AntiAliasing setting. Just open the font resources and set min range back to zero\value.

Edited by YellowAfterlife, 06 July 2011 - 04:56 PM.

_.png_.gif

#27 jammer6

jammer6

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Ah it doesn't seem to work for me :/
Every time I try, the new file either freezes at startup or has an unexpected error.

#28 Peter Porky

Peter Porky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

My .gmk file is just as corrupted at my .gm81. What do?

Finally published on Steam. Thanks to all that helped over the years:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/383780

#29 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

This program is not meant to fix file corruption. There is different software for that.
_.png_.gif

#30 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

I'd recommend you to open up the file in a hex editor, then open up a non-corrupted file in a hex editor, and see if there's any header differences that might be because of corruption. Then go check the checksums of the corrupted file and see if they're correct. (And finally check out the actual data and see if THAT is corrupted) ISMAvatar have documented the game maker file format, I think; her documentation might come in handy too.

Edited by Yal, 19 July 2011 - 09:28 AM.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#31 jtyler

jtyler

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

I believe you've created a program that goes from 8.0 to 7, correct? Then, can you use both programs to get from 8.1 to 7?

#32 A saurus1

A saurus1

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 1609 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Works great, but there is a bug.

After conversion, the character range for fonts is not the normal 32 to 127, but rather an extremely outrageous number (over 6,000,000 something) to 127. GM doesn't like this.

#33 max_r_61270

max_r_61270

GMC Member

• 411 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:57 AM

Will this be useful?

#34 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

The online version has one bug. It should automatically add ".gmk" to the end of the file created. Apart from that, it's great :D
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#35 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

so i used the online version and it worked mostly, although draw_text() looks dodgy(only half a letter is displayed sometimes) but apart from that PERFECT :D

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#36 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

I believe you've created a program that goes from 8.0 to 7, correct? Then, can you use both programs to get from 8.1 to 7?

You might have confused me with someone else.
Personally I don't see many advantages of developing additional converter program for GM7.
You could probably use Java-based editor LateralGM for converting files to earlier versions.

Works great, but there is a bug.

After conversion, the character range for fonts is not the normal 32 to 127, but rather an extremely outrageous number (over 6,000,000 something) to 127. GM doesn't like this.

Mentioned in one of my previous posts.
A more 'precise' conversion would require writing a GMK format reader-writer, which would take a while to do.
I'm not denying it's advantages, however this is a small freeware program. It's not easy to find required amount of time to work on it, without messing up with something else.

Will this be useful?

You never know, though 800 downloads and 200+ views of online version probably indicate that it is.

The online version has one bug. It should automatically add ".gmk" to the end of the file created. Apart from that, it's great :D

I know of that bug. Unfortunately, it cannot be fixed due to 'safety' policy of Flash. It's probably wise to not allow a game\program to chose, where and how out-coming file should be saved, however it is also limiting, as can be seen.

so i used the online version and it worked mostly, although draw_text() looks dodgy(only half a letter is displayed sometimes) but apart from that PERFECT :D

Different draw_text() behaviour has no relation to my program. It's the way GameMaker versions of 8.0 and below worked (or more precisely didn't). I believe that this occurs because of font 'anti-alias' pixels not being taken into account while generating a bitmap, thus providing slightly different results for these.
_.png_.gif

#37 klamis

klamis

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

Mine gets an unexpected error when I run the game after converting it. :s

#38 MythStudio

MythStudio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Mine gets an unexpected error when I run the game after converting it. :s

I am having the same problem and if there isn't a Fix i have just ruined my Project with this....Yellow please help

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 Turbine

Turbine

GMC Member

• 18 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

As YellowAfterlife said, you could use LGM. Can get from the Enigma GM website.

http://enigma-dev.org/
SVN: https://enigma-dev.s...root/enigma-dev

Also has the ability to clean an editable, such as defrag associated ids.

#40 Zwander

Zwander

GMC Member

• 181 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

Thank you so much, worked perfectly :D

Posted Image

Just remember, your talking to a 14 year old adolescent male here.

▼ Did this Post help? Click Below ▼

#41 njp

njp

Panda

• GMC Member
  • 2342 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

error: file seams to be corrupt.
did that every time i tried it =\

[--NJP--]

#42 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2853 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:07 AM

This converter is handy! It does what it says on the box. :biggrin:

OFF TOPIC: By the way, I noticed a common error you make consistently. You keep spelling it as "standart" when it should be "standard".

Get your GM 8.1 Anti-Aliasing here!

2712265.png

http://www.youtube.com/Sporkinator

#43 _246488

_246488

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:19 AM

thank you so much!!!!!!!
i would use more swears than normal words just to show how much emphasis i need to apply
but im new hear and idk if ill get banned or sumthing like that
so...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#44 _246488

_246488

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:44 AM

very inportant!!!!!!!!
read this if it dosnt work!!!!!!!
when converted all of the lower charactor range values for your fonts are changed to some crazy number
i changed those back to 32 (wich was 3 easy changes) and it works perfectly
try that!

#45 Guest_TamoNekiTipo_*

Guest_TamoNekiTipo_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Off topic stuff:
@_246488
Look: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=516847
+ don't double post

On topic:
Bugs:
-When the window is moving, it lags my computer + it leaves the blue trail of the window.
-You seem to have been using lite edition to make the program. That's annoying when advertisement message always popup
-And, it looks like you used a CMD command taskkill which is not supported by all OS and it gives an GM error if you don't have it.

EDIT: I have just read the FAQ, and my "suspicion" of using taskkill is confirmed.

Anything but that, it's great!

Edited by TamoNekiTipo, 13 January 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#46 altse99

altse99

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Nice! :thumbsup:

Also, could you make a 8 to 7 converter. Or could you put the gamemaker file up so I can edit it to make a 7 converter.

Thanks

#47 SkullSoft

SkullSoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

Thank you very much! I used this to access @Alex@'s very handy math script set after I downloaded it.
Posted Image

#48 amiel

amiel

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1122 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

I think I found a bug,after/everytime I convert my game,the font's character range changed,it should be 32 till 127 but it turns out 217926 till 127 or some random no.Is it a bug?Or it is just on my game?Overall this is a very useful tool,thanks.
:whistle:

nzp5.png
Untitled Zombie Game...
Coming up 2014...

alive = !dead;
if dead = true{//?????}

#49 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

I think I found a bug,after/everytime I convert my game,the font's character range changed,it should be 32 till 127 but it turns out 217926 till 127 or some random no.Is it a bug?Or it is just on my game?Overall this is a very useful tool,thanks.
:whistle:

Yeah, that's a known issue that was mentioned before, caused by the way GM8.1 encodes fonts. You'll just have to manually change the huge number back to 0 each time.

-IMP

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#50 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1902 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

I just wanted to thanks you for this tool :) , it's really helpful.
Ahmed.