Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

Posted Image

Kirbyvania

Spoiler

Dracula, the demented nightmare, is back again! The people will dream nothing by nightmares and the monsters gets nastier than ever... Who's going to fix this issue, if not Kirby?

Posted Image

A game emulating the feeling of the first three Castlevania games for the NES, Kirbyvania features unique gameplay: you can do everything Simon Belmont can, but also everything Kirby can. Flying? Inhaling enemies through walls? Spitting them out at other enemies? Gotcha. With whip in hand and a great supply of sub-weapons to collect and master, you have millions of different playstyles to choose from in your path to Dracula's table.

Kirbyvania has also been featured in the big German magazine, Der Spiegel: http://www.spiegel.d...25825-3,00.html

And did I mention the delicious particle and darkness effects?

Posted Image

===============================================================
Downloads:

Page on the YYG (V 1.3)
Download from BOX.Net (V 1.3)

Controls:

Z - Jump
X - Use whip
C - Inhale enemy (down to swallow), use absorbed ability
Space - Discard current ability
Arrow - Move (up to fly)
Shift - Inhale enemy (can be used even when you have an ability)

Enter - Pause
F4 - Toggle fullscreen
Esc - System Pause (use this to quit or go to the title screen)

Game Version: 1.3
Game Maker: 6.1 Pro (converted so that it will run on Vista)
Screen size: 480x272 (does not change screen resolution)
Filesize: 3 205 Kilobyte, plus 10 KB's worth of readme files.
Genre \ Subgenres: Platform \ Platform Action \ Gauntlet Action
Framerate: 60
Fangame: Yes
Internal Gamepad system: No
Creates files to save data: Yes, highscore and settings
Number of levels: 18 (6x3)
Number of bosses: 7
Number of difficulty settings: 3

Posted Image

Play and tell me what you think, I appreciate that.

Content:

Block 1 - Entrance

Music: Vampire Killer
Boss: Gigant Bat
Block 2 - Graveyard
Music: Shatterhand - Refinery stage
Boss: Whispy Woods
Block 3 - Waterway
Music: Ristar - Lost Palace (round 2-2)
Boss: White Dragon
Block 4 - Castle Walls
Music: F-Zero (SNES): Fire Field theme
Boss: Kracko
Block 5 - Great Hall
Music: Shatterhand - Silo Stage
Boss: MetaKnight
Block 6 - Clock Tower
Music: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest: Normal Battle
Boss: Dededeath
Boss: Dracula

Youtube footage:

Boss 3 - Orphic Viper

Speedrun trough Block 2 (stage 4, 5 and 6)

PixelProspector promotional video (outdated!)

Changelog:

Full Version 1.2================
-Added a new subweapon.
-Darkness effect is polished, using real gradients instead of the current junk.
-Particle effects added for more or less everything, I've taken care to not make them stand out too much yet still increase the appeal of the game.
-ESC won't immediately quit the game; rather it now also gives you the options to resume and restart the game.
-An options screen have been added, enabling you to e.g. turn off default fullscreen and the darkness Night Effect and set desired game volume.
-An intro sequence has been added right after the Disclaimer/Presented By Yal screen. This can be skipped by pressing Enter or Space.
-The game now comes zipped with Credits and Readme files accompanying it rather than being a raw EXE.
-A new cheat has been added.

Previous versions:
Spoiler

Kirby series are copyrighted by HAL Laboratiories and Castlevania are copyrighted by Konami. This game is a fangame, not sold for money or any other profit, and neither HAL nor Konami is affiliated with it.

#2 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21957 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

Wonderful, Yal! Truly wonderful! You have captured the best of both games and made something new and interesting, while maintaining that retro feel. Love the widescreen, love the graphics, love the soound... I´ve only just started to play but I can tell you now that it wont be deleted from my hard drive until I´vecompleted it on (at least) difficult! Good work!

PS: Loved the "engrish" too!!!

#3 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1869 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

Accidentally started on 'Difficult' this time. Decided to roll with it. The game is hilariously, ridiculously easy like this. I didn't die at all until Block 4, but things did pick up there. I'm currently at Block 6 with ten lives. The difficulty seems just about right, I suppose. Whiny me from a year ago who has no idea what he's talking about would probably have trouble with it.

-The new light range is good. There were spots on the fifth stage where I hesitated to move forward before I'd thrown a good dozen forks because I wasn't quite sure what was ahead, so it's not too large, and definitely not too small.
-Forks don't emit light. Seeing as they're the fastest enemy projectile in the game, I think they should.
-Metaknight is kind of a letdown after fighting Kracko. To be fair, Kracko was kind of cheap but Meta is still easier than than even Whispy Woods. I might revise this statement after reaching him on Very Difficult. We'll see.
-Impression of the last eight or so lives I've lost on block 6 on what used to be a pretty mild difficulty level: It's the game going "Hey, remember how the game is widescreen and all your attacks are meant to be used horizontally so you're at an enormous advantage all the time? Yeah, let's stop doing that."

I mostly die to Thwomps spawning directly above me. It's great!

Edited by zeddidragon, 12 April 2011 - 11:19 AM.

#4 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

Wonderful, Yal! Truly wonderful! You have captured the best of both games and made something new and interesting, while maintaining that retro feel. Love the widescreen, love the graphics, love the soound... I´ve only just started to play but I can tell you now that it wont be deleted from my hard drive until I´vecompleted it on (at least) difficult! Good work!

PS: Loved the "engrish" too!!!

Thank you very much! It really warms my heart to read this (especially since I've just had two bad days in a row). But you've put a proud smile on my face with those words.

-Forks don't emit light. Seeing as they're the fastest enemy projectile in the game, I think they should.
-Metaknight is kind of a letdown after fighting Kracko. To be fair, Kracko was kind of cheap but Meta is still easier than than even Whispy Woods. I might revise this statement after reaching him on Very Difficult. We'll see.

Hmm... I'll have to look into those two (minor, balance) problems. When playing the game to get screenshots, I noticed that Kracko's bolt attack dealt 3 damage (which is a lot more if you haven't spent a good hour debugging him and learning his pattern) and was pretty ridiculously difficult to dodge without Blade if you let Kracko come too close. I'll try to uncheap Kracko a bit by lowering that ATK to 2, perhaps he should spawn Jumping Joes or something as well just as the first boss does with the bats. Or remain stationary when shooting it. Or something.
And the forks doesn't glow since they're not fireballs. But perhaps they should glow too (after all, they flash). It wouldn't be that hard to enable that.

-The new light range is good. There were spots on the fifth stage where I hesitated to move forward before I'd thrown a good dozen forks because I wasn't quite sure what was ahead, so it's not too large, and definitely not too small.

I mostly die to Thwomps spawning directly above me. It's great!

First point: Glad to hear. Second one: ^_^
I think the first Thwomp on each stage is a bit cheap (advice: move left/right slowly in areas horizontal corridors with few enemies), but if you just get suspicious when long empty corridors arrive, they aren't that difficult. Oh, and their big debris chunks deal damage, too.
Making the level more difficult by making it vertical wasn't intentional, by the way. It was an awesome side-effect I didn't predict. :)

Side note: You have exactly 1 111 posts right now.

#5 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

Minor update bump.

- Tinkered with Meta Knight's AI - now he will use the stab attack approx 8 times more often than previously (meaning that you may finally get to see it!). Since that attack emits 6 shockwaves in a fun pattern, it should make him harder than Kracko.
- Tinkered with Kracko. Lowered max speed a bit, lowered acceleration a bit, and most importantly, lowered the attack power and range of the unfair bolts. This battle should now be a lot less unfair than previously.
- Speaking of Kracko, his 8-directional spread now has a new sprite.
- Enemy forks will now emit light, making them easier to spot and avoid.
- Made a new gradient sprite for the light, which hopefully will fix the ugly square edges that sometimes would appear.

#6 Conker

Conker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

Games never work right when I try to play them -_-

#7 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1869 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

-Mashers don't die when they fall off stage 4. This leads to me getting a fork in my arse.
-Did you know you're getting free PR from other game topics?

Edited by zeddidragon, 13 April 2011 - 12:24 PM.

#8 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:21 AM

Did you know you just gave that topic free PR?

#9 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

-Mashers don't die when they fall off stage 4. This leads to me getting a fork in my arse.

Do they never die (and stop under-screen and spam forks) or do they just non-die and fork once? I suspect the problem might have to be with my code that's supposed to make them work properly in the vertical area of the Clock Tower. Might be able to fix it by removing their hitstun recoil altogether, since there's some ugly glitches that can be triggered by pushing them off a pillar onto the ground with a Lv-1 whip. I mean, I did that with the Bone Pillars and now they work fine twice as often as previously.

Jay, free PR! :)

You know...
Spoiler

Edited by Yal, 14 April 2011 - 06:49 AM.

#10 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1869 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

Did you know you just gave that topic free PR?

It's a good demo, so it deserves it.

Do they never die?

Yes. They just throw forks forever from underneath the screen.

#11 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

Yes. They just throw forks forever from underneath the screen.

Noted down. I'll likely have that fixed around this time tomorrow.

#12 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

Good game, nice work. :)

#13 Corkscrew

Corkscrew

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

Haven't played it yet. Looks absolutely amazing. I just know it's going to be awesome!

#14 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

Haven't played it yet. Looks absolutely amazing. I just know it's going to be awesome!

You're right!

Oh, hey, I've updated the game again! Even more small roughs and bumps removed:

- Mashers now die when they fall offscreen, so they won't necrofork you anymore.
- Mashers are near impossible to push offscreen in general!
- Score bonuses now are bigger on Very Difficult and lower on Easy.
Full list of bonuses:
Spoiler

As well, I've added a secret game mode for IQBrew only.
Spoiler

Edited by Yal, 15 April 2011 - 07:48 AM.

#15 sournote103

sournote103

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

This is ridiculously difficult, but VERY fun. Keep up the good work!

#16 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

This is ridiculously difficult, but VERY fun. Keep up the good work!

Did you know that you can play on Easy too? ;)
It's not as easy as a nowadays commercial game's Easy mode, but it's about twice as easy as Difficult (since most attacks deals less damage in Easy than they do on the other modes). And it's certainly easier than the real NES Castlevania games.

Anyway, thanks! I'm glad you like it!

#17 Captain Cook

Captain Cook

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:29 AM

Yes, it is easier than the NES Castlevania games. I've beaten this and for some reason I can't beat the third level in the first CV.

ALSO... is it me, or does the Fireball ability seem a little... overpowered? I can destroy a stack of 5 bone pillars in one shot if I aim just right. I suggest nerfing the area of effect, the power, or both.

#18 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1869 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:41 AM

I find the fireball pretty weak compared to the other abilities, actually.

#19 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:33 AM

I find the fireball pretty weak compared to the other abilities, actually.

Hmm... are you sure you have the most recent version? The old version of the fireball had poor explosion range and would just explode once, the new one explodes once each time it hits an enemy and once when it is destroyed.

Of course, it could just be a matter of taste. The fireball can't catch an enemy and drill it for heavy damage like the Blade, Pay Day or Holy Water, so it's not that good against high-hp enemies or bosses. It's slower than Fork and are actually harder to hit enemies with. And the biggest con is that hurling a Fireball when jumping is very unforgiving - the big hitbox of the fireball almost always make it hit the platform you tried to get it over.

The fireball's usefulness wears off quite soon after Block 2, in fact. But it surely kicks face in there.

#20 Captain Cook

Captain Cook

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

About "Fork"... isn't it technically a trident?

Also, the monster that uses the ability is named "Trident Knight". "Masher" was the Dream Land 2 equivalent of Mace Knight.

#21 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:57 AM

About "Fork"... isn't it technically a trident?

Also, the monster that uses the ability is named "Trident Knight". "Masher" was the Dream Land 2 equivalent of Mace Knight.

Um... Well... I... Um... I'll fix it in the sequel.

#22 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

This is a really good game! It's pretty rediculously hard though: I'm even having trouble on easy tbh. I'll get around to it, though, currently at block 6. TBH, I think you should make an additional "slightly easier" setting, with either more lives per continue, more hearts after death/retain ability after death.

Also, that darkness effect is really nice. Could you provide the code for it? I'm using a really crappy darkness effect and I'm not really sure how to improve upon it.

Edited by greep, 26 May 2011 - 09:32 AM.

#23 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

This is a really good game! It's pretty rediculously hard though: I'm even having trouble on easy tbh.

Whee! Thanks! :)
I like difficult games. Too few games today actually have you practice playing them and actually challenge you; and games you can practically walk trough without problems doesn't have that much of a replay value since you eventually realise that you're just walking from one cutscene to another without having fun.

The game gets slightly easier if you turn off the darkness though, but it doesn't look as good.

Also, that darkness effect is really nice. Could you provide the code for it? I'm using a really crappy darkness effect and I'm not really sure how to improve upon it.

I could give you the code, but I don't recommend you to use it in GM8 since the effect is actually creating and destroying a sprite 15 times per second; this is over ten times slower in GM8 than GM6 (which I used to make Kirbyvania).

The main idea is something like this:
- I have a gradient circle sprite with black in the center and fully transparent white at the edges.
- During the "darkness step", each light source paints this circle stretched in different sizes (bosses emit more light than candles, for instance) after the screen has been cleared in white.
( - A cool side-effect from this was that when circles are drawn on top of each other because light sources are intersecting, the area where they intersect gets more black, and the light will appear brighter.)
- Then I copy part of the screen to a sprite.
- Then I create a black sprite the size of 12.5% of the screen
- I use the part of the screen as an alpha mask to make the black sprite partially transparent; white pixels on the mask gives 255-alpha, totally opaque black pixels on the mask while black pixels give fully transparent pixels, grayscale mask pixels lead to half-transparent pixels.

Finally I let an object with a depth of -100000000 something draw the sprite stretched 4 times in both x and y directions.

You could likely use surfaces instead of sprites; I couldn't because my computer's graphics card was too old and had trouble handling surfaces. God knows how Game Maker managed to draw the internal backbuffer surface...

#24 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:57 AM

This is a really good game! It's pretty rediculously hard though: I'm even having trouble on easy tbh.

Whee! Thanks! :)
I like difficult games. Too few games today actually have you practice playing them and actually challenge you; and games you can practically walk trough without problems doesn't have that much of a replay value since you eventually realise that you're just walking from one cutscene to another without having fun.

The game gets slightly easier if you turn off the darkness though, but it doesn't look as good.

Well I can definately agree about lack of difficulty being a problem. I mean when someone beats the hardest difficulty of half-life 2 with nothing but a crowbar, you know something's wrong with today's games.

But really the problem is the highest difficulties are lacking. Without having a difficulty that at least half of the players can even beat, well you lose those players. There's nothing lost by having a very easy setting in addition to whatever you have, and it's usually as simple as 5 minutes of coding.

#25 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1869 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

I mean when someone beats the hardest difficulty of half-life 2 with nothing but a crowbar, you know something's wrong with today's games.

Are you talking about this speedrun?
  • The speedrun was done "in 134 segments" and the final output lasted for two hours and eleven minutes. This means he saved on an average once every minute. I presume most segments were replayed repeatedly until he got it right. For example, the part where he uses the RPG-launcher to kill the gunship was a decision made after days of trial and error.
  • He uses a macro to aid him with an advanced movement technique that lets him travel on foot in what looks like at least twice as fast as your normal sprinting speed. Due to this, it doesn't even matter what weapons he uses most of the time because he runs past everything.
  • He doesn't strictly speaking use only the crowbar, either. The physics engine is heavily utilized to throw explosive barrels, enemy grenades and other object in the environment.
  • In the last stretch of the game he goes "screw this" and uses the gravity gun.

When you really know something is wrong is when a player can literally walk through the final stage of a game on the hardest difficulty.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hvSU6ufMCFU

#26 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

Whoo, this game does get quite a bit easier with a little practice :o just beat it with 8 lives left on easy, when I couldn't beat it period the last run.

Actually I've just read about that halife 2 bit (it wasn't a speedrun, just crowbar only w/rockets where necessary and of course the upgraded gravity gun), I'm fairly sure the one I was talking about was done mostly legitmately as the techniques he described would work, but I still am not sure if he didn't cheat a little at the end of anti-citizen one, as I don't see how that's possible without ranged weapons.

and heh, I like the title, crysis 2 in a nutshell -.-

Although, quite ironically, that seems to be the best way to beat block 6 in kirbyvania. I cringe to think how actually fighting your way through that block would be like.

Edited by greep, 27 May 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#27 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

TBH, I think you should make an additional "slightly easier" setting, with either more lives per continue, more hearts after death/retain ability after death.

BTW, it's already possible to increase Reset Hearts to 10 in the options screen, and increase lives per continue to 5. Should've pointed that out, but what you suggest is already in there.

Whoo, this game does get quite a bit easier with a little practice :o

All things gets easier with practice. :) Glad you noticed how fun it is to actually get good at a game.

I cringe to think how actually fighting your way through that block would be like.

Block 6 is one of the two blocks in the entire game where you can get the secret Lv-5 Whip. With that, it gets a lot easier. With the secret, but easily accessible, Lv-4 whip, it gets a bit easier since Bone Pillars die in one hit. But yeah, there's a lot of flying (and avoiding gears and thwomps) in block 6, and not a lot of fighting. Not really intended, just a result of the vertical stage layout.

#28 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

Well I think it'd be a bit easier to fight your way through it if you had something with vertical attack like beam, which only seems to be available in levels I don't want to use it in :(

Edit: I guess that's a self answering problem as beam is bad against beam mooks :/

Edited by greep, 31 May 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#29 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

Try using the Shift-Inhale feature. Hold Shift to inhale, even when you have a power. Pretty useful.

#30 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8497 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

I'm delighted to share the news that Kirbyvania has been mentioned in Der Spiegel, which is the first newspaper/magazine mention I've gotten for any of my games!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users