Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:26 AM

I explained it a bit here:
http://gmc.yoyogames...1

Here is the DL link [FIXED, also I fixed the example, sorry for messing up a lot guys]:
http://www.host-a.ne...tion Figure.rar

My Action Figure is a tool that can be used to easily animate 3D bone-based figures.

It's modeled after anim8or.

Don't expect updates or anything, I made this because I wasn't happy with any other GM animating tool out there. But I decided to share it with everyone else.

Here are the Ropes:

My Action Figure is a tool that lets you easily create bone structures (figures) and poses.

From this basis, it's possible to create smooth animations by interpolating between the current pose, and a desired pose.

How to work the tool:

CHP 1: Pre-Start

MAF loads d3ds, there is a file called "start up models.txt.":
-First line: Punch in the number of models you will load
-Others: Punch in the file names to load.

CHP 2: My Action Figure

From here you can open figures or import poses, in both cases they would have to be made with MAF.
And of course you can save figures and export poses.

The controls are explained in the topic mentioned earlier.

Remember, the data in a figure includes the parental structure and lengths of each bone. While a pose is just the rotations of each bone.

CHP 3: Putting it into the game.

Your models must be loaded in an array called "mesh[.]" and your textures on "texture[.]" These should be defined in the create event of an object that starts the game. I have a tendency to make games that use just one object, but for your sake you would probably want to have them stored as global variables, so feel free to adjust it. Figures and Sequences should also be initialized at the start of a game.

When you make a sequence, you just string together poses.

When you start up a character use this:
init_FigSeq(..);

And to set the texture and models of each bone use this

set_models(..);

This can be a bit tricky, but when you save a figure on MAF, it also saves a *[MODEL MAP}.txt that tells you what models line up with what bones, keep in mind that when using set_models() fill in -1 where ever the MODEL MAP says NONE.

Edited by Saijee, 13 April 2011 - 11:43 AM.

#2 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:04 AM

Wow, the way it interpolates between the different poses are just amazing!
This way you could do like 3-4 "keyframes" and time it right to make smooth animation :D!
Just one thing I wonder: "help file... xD?"
Like.. I have some questions that I think others may wonder too..

1. "What is 'My Action Figure' used for?" (like, do you create poses or import them?)
2. "what file formats does it import?"
3. "How do i make/import poses?"
(i bet answering these questions would increase the amount of downloads ;). soon this tool will be CRUCIAL for ANY 3D game made with gamemaker.)

if you got some time over it'd be awesome if you could make a "quickstart guide".
Like.. so you wouldn't have to make a big help file, just a step by step guide without too much detail to help us get started ;).

Btw, I will most likely use this for all my 3D games made with game maker, and this is so awesome I'll type your name TWICE in the credit list, and maybe even at startup ;p

Edited by Pandaboy, 13 April 2011 - 12:09 AM.

#3 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:07 AM

Wow, the way it interpolates between the different poses are just amazing!
This way you could do like 3-4 "keyframes" and time it right to make smooth animation :D!
Just one thing I wonder: "help file... xD?"
Like.. I have some questions that I think others may wonder too..

1. "What is 'My Action Figure' used for?" (like, do you create poses or import them?)
2. "what file formats does it import?"
3. "How do i make/import poses?"
(i bet answering these questions would increase the amount of downloads ;). soon this tool will be CRUCIAL for ANY 3D game made with gamemaker.)

if you got some time over it'd be awesome if you could make a "quickstart guide".
Like.. so you wouldn't have to make a big help file, just a step by step guide without too much detail to help us get started ;).

Btw, I will most likely use this for all my 3D games made with game maker, and this is so awesome I'll type your name TWICE in the credit list, and maybe even at startup ;p

Took 30 minutes to fix the example, using two objects, a control, and a dummy, also adding a few notes. And edited first post too.

It's supposed to be easy to use.

#4 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:08 AM

Took 30 minutes to fix the example, using two objects, a control, and a dummy, also adding a few notes. And edited first post too.

It's supposed to be easy to use.

Yay thank you very much ^^

Edited by Pandaboy, 14 April 2011 - 06:09 AM.

#5 _191717

_191717

GMC Member

• 60 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

thanks for this program.. however, it can't load *.gmmod(model creator) models.

#6 Markolainen

Markolainen

GMC Member

• 426 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

This looks pretty good. My only problem is the camera movement and some UI & control preferences. I haven't tried it out too much yet but will propably use this when I start animating unless I find some other method that works better and/or faster.
I don't suppose you could release the source to this so me and other could improve or change the stuff we would want differently?

#7 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

@ 19, I don't see how/why it would.

@ Marko, well see, but I don't plan on it much.

#8 _191717

_191717

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:08 AM

Umm.. ok.

Btw, you're very good at modelling.. :D

#9 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

Umm.. ok.

Btw, you're very good at modelling.. :D

Thanks, it's not hard, it's just what happens when you practice for four years.

#10 misterprickly

misterprickly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

Do you have any other examples?

#11 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

Nope, but what would you need to be explained?

Edited by Saijee, 30 August 2011 - 11:07 PM.

#12 Kokan

Kokan

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:26 AM

THIS. IS. AMAZING. How the heck did you make this?

#13 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:37 AM

THIS. IS. AMAZING. How the heck did you make this?

Skill.

I only coded what needed to be in it for it to function.

#14 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:08 AM

This program has amazing potential, I just wish the control scheme was more user friendly. :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work and I hope you inspire others to start their own journey in 3D.

#15 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:59 AM

This program has amazing potential, I just wish the control scheme was more user friendly. :thumbsup:

Your not the first to mention that. You guys should know that it might just be a little helpful if you stated how it could be improved.

#16 Kokan

Kokan

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

Your not the first to mention that. You guys should know that it might just be a little helpful if you stated how it could be improved.

One thing I know that could be improved on this. I have been using Model Creator for my 3D games, so a "Draw" mode in your program might be a little helpful.

#17 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:47 PM

One thing I know that could be improved on this. I have been using Model Creator for my 3D games, so a "Draw" mode in your program might be a little helpful.

Like what?

#18 Kokan

Kokan

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:22 PM

Well, first try something like Model Creator. Maarten Baert, the creator, has made it an open source, so you might be able to learn a few things there.

#19 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

Well, first try something like Model Creator. Maarten Baert, the creator, has made it an open source, so you might be able to learn a few things there.

I'm kinda busy making a game right now, how bout you just tell me what could be improved to make it more user friendly?

When I said "like what" I was meaning:' "Draw" meaning what?'

Edited by Saijee, 09 September 2011 - 12:13 AM.

#20 Kokan

Kokan

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:36 AM

Oh, I meant being able to create a model in the program so that you don't have to search the internet for a program that can. I would use Model Creator (as you can see, I love Model Creator), but Model Creator saves the models made in that program as a *.gmmod file, so I can't really use those in your program.

#21 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:22 AM

:turned:
Sorry.

Anyway, I believe the camera control could use some work, it's rather clunky. Maybe have the middle button rotate around it while scrolling the scroll-wheel would zoom in/out.

And at times I wasn't sure what I was even doing when spinning/rotating, so maybe have a little text bubble at the bottom that says what you're doing like "Rotating Part 3 around X axis".

#22 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

@ Kokan, why not just use a something that's actually designed to make 3D models? This is just an animation tool.

@ Jonathan, controls are vaguely designed after Anim8or.

#23 storkEXEC

storkEXEC

GMC Member

• 365 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:12 AM

Can I make good animations with this if I am not good at making animations?

#24 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:00 AM

That would be like asking me if you make "good" paintings if you downloaded SAI paint tool. You can only make a product that is as good as you are.

It would be easier than some of the other things you might have tried, but it is by no means a ANIMATE-FOR-ME button.

#25 storkEXEC

storkEXEC

GMC Member

• 365 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

That would be like asking me if you make "good" paintings if you downloaded SAI paint tool. You can only make a product that is as good as you are.

It would be easier than some of the other things you might have tried, but it is by no means a ANIMATE-FOR-ME button.

is it easier than milkshape, anim8or and blender? and YES i do need a ANIMATE-FOR-ME button :lol:

#26 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:03 PM

It's certainly much easier to get GM to use your animations, but I haven't tried anim8or, milkshape, or the animation aspect of Blender, so I can't say how the workspace feels.

And well, there's an animate-for-me button if you consider that it let's you tween between keyframes, as opposed to uploading a model for every frame if you used one of those other programs.

#27 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

It's certainly much easier to get GM to use your animations, but I haven't tried anim8or, milkshape, or the animation aspect of Blender, so I can't say how the workspace feels.

And well, there's an animate-for-me button if you consider that it let's you tween between keyframes, as opposed to uploading a model for every frame if you used one of those other programs.

If you want to get animated models on GM, without using a DLL, I recommend using this.

In a sense, you could say that, but I was referring to the falsity of how simply having a handy program does not make you any better at something that your not good at. Not until you start practicing.

Yes it can tween, but if the poses you tween between don't look right, it still wont look right when you animated it in the game.

#28 misterprickly

misterprickly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

I'm having problems loading my characters into MAF.
maybe I'm not reading the pre-start instructions properly.

What comes after that?

what do I after that?
How do I open them into MAF if the figure has to be made with MAF?

Do you have an instruction book for MAF (which I probably should have read)?

Other that that I think your examples are awesome!

#29 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2412 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

I'm having problems loading my characters into MAF.
maybe I'm not reading the pre-start instructions properly.

What comes after that?

what do I after that?
How do I open them into MAF if the figure has to be made with MAF?

Do you have an instruction book for MAF (which I probably should have read)?

Other that that I think your examples are awesome!

That txt is there for your convenience, if you already know that your project will use certain models, which you should. It acts as a default set of parts. When you open up MAF, or use the code I put in the example, it will automatically load all the models from the txt, in MAF you set the model in use for the selected bone via Q and W keys. If at any point during using MAF you decide to add more models you can do this via "Load Models."

The controls are explained in more solid detail here: http://gmc.yoyogames...1

Edited by Saijee, 15 October 2011 - 03:20 PM.

#30 misterprickly

misterprickly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

That txt is there for your convenience, if you already know that your project will use certain models, which you should. It acts as a default set of parts. When you open up MAF, or use the code I put in the example, it will automatically load all the models from the txt, in MAF you set the model in use for the selected bone via Q and W keys. If at any point during using MAF you decide to add more models you can do this via "Load Models."

The controls are explained in more solid detail here: http://gmc.yoyogames...1

What is the file format that MAF requires? I.E: .d3d, .x, .3ds etc.
How do I load the models?

Basicly what I'm asking for is a more deatailed "step by step" version of the instructions.
Kinda like a "For DUMMIES" edition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users