Uninitialised "things"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

So, here's today's topic. We've been putting in code to force you to pass the correct number of arguments because aside from being a bad habit to get into, it's also a performance and "bug waiting to happen" issue. So in 8.1 you will now get an error if you call a script with the incorrect number of arguments.

myScript()
Would be wrong if you use argument0 through argument15 in your code. You must now provide the correct number. Currently, it would initialise the variable to 0 (or false) if you hadn't passed it in. We consider this bad. It's an undocumented thing which should be avoided. if you mean 0, you should pass 0 in.

Now... this also got us looking at other issues. We have problems with folk creating arrays and touching element (say) 15, but then reading element 5. Again, this would be initialised to 0. This is again bad... but it would mean you have to "initialise the whole array.

So I'm currently looking to see if it's possible to throw an error in this case.

Now here's the question. What do you think should happen in these cases? The argument one is a no-brainer to me. It's dangerous, and it's a source of many a bug if you don't know what your doing. It's also a performance issue, as we need to clear 16 arguments every time we enter a function in case it accesses them. Now however, if you don't use args, we can detect that... and not clear anything, making script->script calling, faster (well.. a tiny bit).

The array access is different. We currently set the LAST element first to "size" the array, and know that our code will fill it all in first, but many folk I suspect will depend on the fact it'll be 0. What I'd prefer is for you to use some kind of DIM() command that would WIPE it if you needed 0, but if you didn't, you would get an error if you accessed an uninitialised element.

What do you think?

EDIT: Just been pointed out that printf() style calls would no longer work. So we'll make it so that argument[x] types are not effected by calling limits. Basically we'll assume you know what your doing if you access arguments via arrays.

#2 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19919 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

The argument business sounds good to me... any performance boost is a good thing, and if it enforces good programming habits then I´m all for it! As for the arrays, what does DIM() mean? At the moment it´s quite useful to do

array[15]=0;

and know that the whole array is initialised to 0... are you suggesting that we do this but in some way choose the initial value? Or havit so that that code throws an error and we have to use

var i;
i=0;
repeat(15)
{
array[i]=0;
i+=1;
}

to create the whole array? Sorry if I´m being dumb, but I only know how to program in GM...

Edited by Nocturne, 08 April 2011 - 03:17 PM.

• Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

At the moment yes. You would have to "clear" the array yourself. However, if we added a DIM command, then it could initialise an array to the size you wanted.

Dim(myarray,16);

This would create/resize an array to 16 initialised elements. meaning you don't need to manually do it. We've seen a lot of bugs where someone simply hasn't filled in a variable, then read from it and it's worked "by chance" really.

I guess we could also make it optional that this could be expanded, allowing for "bounds" checking. Theres no way to protect going outside the array at the moment as it just expands.....?

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19919 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the info, Mike... seems like a sensible move and easy to adjust my coding style to!

#5 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 3661 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

Dim(myarray,16);
This would create/resize an array to 16 initialised elements. meaning you don't need to manually do it. We've seen a lot of bugs where someone simply hasn't filled in a variable, then read from it and it's worked "by chance" really.

I like this. Would it be possible to expand this to initialize all the values to a user-specified value (e.g. noone), or even generate common sequences (like range() from Python). That would definitely cut down on the time spent writing FOR loops for the purpose.

Also, will this be a special syntax, or just a new function? If it really is a function, that would mean passing arrays as arguments would be permitted. This function can be really powerful and would reduce the number of arguments per script (e.g. if min() implements this, it can take just one argument).

GameGeisha

#6 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3684 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

Well I'm always in favour of getting things done explicitelly and do as little as possible implicetelly.. So I shared your opinion that initializing elements 0-x when setting array[x+1] is bad.

That said: did you also consider the value of optional arguments? - Optional arguments allow for much more flexibility & faster programming (no longer do you have to create a seperate script for each different number of arguments).. From what I read optional arguments will be impossible in gm 8.1?

#7 BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

I'm not sure wether that's a good idea. For example, in my game, I use a sound system: FMOD. There's a script FMODSound_Play(sound), which calls an external function and plays it.
I edited the script from:
external_call(argument0,and,some,other,stuff)
.. to ..
if (argument1 == false)
 {
  if (global.setting_sfx == true)
   {
   }
 }else{
  if (global.setting_music == true)
   {
   }
 }
The second argument I added tells wether the played sound is music or SFX. I edited at the time I already used this script a lot, so argument1 would be set to false > it is SFX.

So I use it in 2 ways: FMODSound_Play(sound) and FMODSound_Play(sound,type).

So, I hope you'll at least consider an option to allow a "random" number of arguments? Because there are way more possibilities

Eg: script(numberofarguments, argument1[, argument2[, argument3[, ..]]]):
n = argument0
var i;
for ( i = 1; i <= n; i += 1)
 {
  do_something_with( argument[i])
 }

I think the whole thing is a bad idea, but at least consider an option for a random number of arguments.

Edited by BlueMoonProductions, 08 April 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#8 LSnK

LSnK

NaN

• GMC Member
  • 1188 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

So we'll make it so that argument[x] types are not effected by calling limits. Basically we'll assume you know what your doing if you access arguments via arrays.

Does that also mean the array would be zeroed? If not I don't like the outcome: no variadic scripts, or variadic scripts with no means of determining the argument count. That would be a very painful change. Maybe something best left to a major revision than a point release.

A function to initialise arrays would be welcome, as would error-reporting for accessing [technically] uninitialised elements.

It'd also be nice to have a means of getting the size of arrays. It's simpler and less error-prone than storing it yourself.

Edited by LSnK, 08 April 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#9 JAk HAk

JAk HAk

sepius fidelis

• 713 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

I'd prefer it if scripts defaulted to no arguments and every one you added had to be given a name. Currently, to avoid confusion, I end up making scripts like this:

var id, amount, direction;
id = argument0;
amount = argument1;
direction = argument2;

That way, I can refer to variables by a human name, rather than the easily confusable argumentx.

For arrays, I tend to initialize them either sequentially or in a for loop. Considering arrays in GM are basically unparameterized Vectors, this has always worked fine, but it sounds to me like you're wanting to make them more like traditional arrays. As long as the functionality to dynamically resize the array is left in (or Vectors are introduced) I'm fine with what you do.

• Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

GameGeisha: Its would just be a new function... nothing special other than it'll clear the array quicker since it's native.

paul23: Named arguments is definitely on the list of things we WANT to add, but it's just not possible with 8.1. Well... anything is obviously possible, but it's not worth the effort in 8.1, probably the next version.

BlueMoonProductions: The current idea, is that if you use argument[x], then it'll be as normal. So no checking. But most folk will use argument0, argument1 etc. All you'd have to do is rewrite your function to use argument[0] and argument[1] instead.

The idea being that is you use array access, then you know the issues and accept the risk, where as most newbies will use the normal syntax and get better protection.

I also think adding a new function/variable argc to give you the number of arguments, would be a damn fine idea.... This would in fact make your function far better!

var i;
for ( i = 0; i <= argc; i += 1)
{
  do_something_with( argument[i] )
}

Anything outside the argc range could then be deemed invalid - it "could" throw an error I guess, where as just now you simply don't know how many args you have, so they HAVE to be 0. Even your first function would be better, as you could now almost have default arguments.... you'd have to code them yourself, but you COULD do it.

JAk HAk: They would clear them in the same way, and yes... currently they would still be expandable - although I think an option to be able to LOCK them into a standard array (complete with bounds checking) would be highly beneficial to beginners.

#11 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 3661 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

GameGeisha: Its would just be a new function... nothing special other than it'll clear the array quicker since it's native.

I understand that it's a new function, but what about the syntax?

Consider this example:
foo[0] = "Foo";
foo[1] = "Bar";
foo[2] = "Foobar";
show_message(bar(foo)); //show "Bar"
/* bar(array_here) */
return argument0[1];
If the example code is run in GM8.0, you will always get "Foo", not "Bar". Changing bar to "return argument0[2]" will still return "Foo", not "Foobar". Clearly passing entire arrays by reference is not permitted in GM8.0 --- will this be permitted in GM8.1 now that we have dim()?

GameGeisha

PS: In debug mode, will all the contents of an array be displayed (i.e. through "Show local variables"), or will only the first entry be visible like now? Also, having bounds for arrays now should allow for returning arrays and passing them by reference, wouldn't it?

#12 mcoot

mcoot

GMC Member

• 387 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

I agree that the argumentn variables shouldn't initialise to 0. As long as optional arguments are still possible with the argument[n] array, then that's fine with me.

As for the arrays, that sounds fine to me, just so long as we have this dim() function so we don't have to initialise it manually.

#13 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 7462 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

At the moment yes. You would have to "clear" the array yourself. However, if we added a DIM command, then it could initialise an array to the size you wanted.

Dim(myarray,16);

If you're going that way, would you mind adding a parameter that specifies a value / string to initialize it with?

With regard to the arguments: I was wondering if you were going to preserve the little known fact that to scripts, arguments are actually local variables rather than constants - you can't just read them, you can store new values in them too. I use it as a shorthand for not having to initialize private variables in scripts, e.g.:

if (argument1==0) argument1=1;
return argument0/argument1;

Edit: I also wonder how you intend to make this interact with the (horrible) "Treat initialized variables as value 0" setting for a game. If arrays throw an error when not DIMmed, that basically goes against that setting. But if they do not throw an error, you're back with arrays without bounds checks.

Edited by Smarty, 08 April 2011 - 09:11 PM.

#14 Medusar

Medusar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1228 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

Always wondered why having the "treat uninitialized variables as 0" option turned off still produced this behaviour for unset script arguments and array values... has been a slight annoyance. Not as big however as the lack of argument_count.

As for the dim() function, I suggest that it should follow GM's current syntax of variable_local/global_set/get(), that is, passing the variable by name. Not that it's the way I like to see this kind of thing, but at least it's consistent.
Unless, of course, you're going to properly allow passing arrays by reference... but I don't expect that for now.

Anyway... I don't see your current way of handling script arguments as the proper way to do it... Yes it's better than it is done currently, but at some point you're going to want to have named arguments and default values for them (instead of forcing the user to use an "unsafe" method and filling every uninitialised "thing" with 0). If you're going to adapt the script system anyway, why not do it properly straight away? I know it's probably a lot of extra work but if you're not careful you end up supporting two old versions and the "proper" version all at the same time... It's not what I'd want.
That's my opinion anyway.

#15 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3684 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

paul23: Named arguments is definitely on the list of things we WANT to add, but it's just not possible with 8.1. Well... anything is obviously possible, but it's not worth the effort in 8.1, probably the next version.

I think I didn't make myself clear/you didn't understand my post:

I meant optional arguments, in the sense that you give them and "initial" value:
void foo(int i, bool b = true); //"b" is optional and when not given that argument is initialized at "true"

But I didn't read your post very well either, I just realize you can still keep the "old" behaviour (of considering the value 0 being an not included argument) by treating arguments as arrays.

ow and not entirelly on topic: is there any indication that the (arbitrary) limit of 16 maximum number of arguments will be lifted some day?

Edited by paul23, 08 April 2011 - 09:19 PM.

#16 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

Yea.

I never realized it behaved this way anyway. :mellow:

#17 Maarten Baert

Maarten Baert

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 738 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

I like the 'Dim' approach, I think it's far better than resizing arrays automatically. This would also mean we can finally delete huge global arrays to save some memory, instead of just forgetting them.

argc sounds good too, however I think the name is confusing. Since the arguments are called argumentN or argument[N], the number of arguments should be called argument_count or similar.

I'd also prefer 'dim' instead of 'Dim', but that's just a detail.

While we're talking about varargs, could you please fix external_define? Currently it requires entering the type of all external arguments (ty_real/ty_string), even though functions with more than 4 arguments can't use strings. If I don't add ty_real for every single argument, the function will display an error message. This also means the number of arguments for external functions is limited to 11 instead of the claimed 16, since external_define uses 5 arguments already and doesn't accept more than 16 arguments either. I know it's not really a big issue since extensions are easier and faster anyway, but I use external_define/external_call all the time during development (especially for ExtremePhysics). I don't want to create a new GEX, install it, create a new EXE, and run it with the Visual Studio debugger every time I change something to the DLL.

It would be even better if you could remove the 4 argument limit for strings (without a huge number of if/else statements). Maybe with some inline assembly? Or some hackery :P.

For example:
double myfunction(double x, const char* y, double z) {
    printf("x = %f\n", x);
    printf("y = %s\n", y);
    printf("z = %f\n", z);
    return 0.0;
}

You can call it like this:
struct memblock {
    char mem[sizeof(double)*16];
    inline unsigned int write_real(double x, unsigned int pos) {
        *((double*)(mem+pos)) = x;
        return pos+sizeof(double);
    }
    inline unsigned int write_string(const char* x, unsigned int pos) {
        *((const char**)(mem+pos)) = x;
        return pos+sizeof(const char*);
    }
};

double (*funcptr)(memblock) = (double (*)(memblock))(&myfunction); // horrible hack but it will work (for cdecl at least)

memblock m;
unsigned int pos = 0;
double res;

// call function
pos = m.write_real(5.0, pos);
pos = m.write_string("hello world", pos);
pos = m.write_real(42.0, pos);
res = (*funcptr)(m);
It works for cdecl. For stdcall you have to add some inline assembly to fix the stack pointer:
unsigned int stack;
__asm {
    mov stack, esp;
}
res = (*funcptr)(m);
__asm {
    mov esp, stack;
}
It does result in a 'Runtime Check Failure' in Debug Mode, but it works :). I'm not sure whether this is possible in Delphi though. If it's possible, you won't need the calling convention anymore.

#18 sabriath

sabriath

• GMC Member
  • 3174 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

It would be even better if you could remove the 4 argument limit for strings (without a huge number of if/else statements). Maybe with some inline assembly? Or some hackery

I actually provided the code involved in the suggestion topic for the string limit ability of GM....not sure why YYG team hadn't thought of it before. The code would actually go something like this:
void external_call(void far* f, gmvar* v, short c)
{
  for(register short i = c - 1; i >= 0; i--)
  {
    switch(v[i]->type)
    {
      case ty_string:
        asm(v[i]->str){push %0}
        break;
      case ty_real:
        asm(v[i]->real){push %0}
        break;
    }
  }
  asm(f){callf %0}
}

A better way is to actually write the 'for' and 'switch' as actual assembly so that the stack is guaranteed to not be used by the compiler during the 'push' sequences. For 'cdecl' you would create a separate function that would save the stack pointer prior to pushing values and restore it after the call (similar to a frame push/pop).

Ontopic:

Dim functionality sounds good, but I would rather see it either using string naming or as an actual statement, using parenthesis makes it feel like the result is what you are dimming. For example:

var i[10]; //dims 'i' as a 10 element array set to '0'
dim i[20]; //redims 'i' as a 20 element array, set the new elements to '0'
redim("i",30); //redims 'i' as a 30 element array, set the new elements to '0'

looks a lot better than:

dim(i, 20);

because "dim" is a statement, not a function call, while 'redim' can be used as a function call so that the name can be referenced rather than evaluated. Other notes: variable_local_dim, variable_global_dim for those that are not strict-scoped in 'var' context.

Arguments:

Never understood why GM does arguments the way it does....but if it'll make it faster, go ahead, it's still wrong though (they should be stack-implemented, position reference saved, and boundary checked when 'argument' is used...keeps everything in a single reference frame for recursion purposes and maintains speed of operation, and "freeing memory" is simply popping the stack pointer out of the frame).

Edited by sabriath, 09 April 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#19 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• Retired Staff
  • 9322 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:41 AM

As long as we have an argc variable (or, to keep with GM's naming conventions, argument_count), that should be all we need. A double-check for unpassed parameters could also be useful for new users, but the argument_count is really all that's needed if you program correctly.

Instead of throwing errors, though, if you simply add in a NULL type, you can set the unpassed arguments to NULL and be done with it all.

-IMP ;) :)

#20 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

I know that some begginer users write:

var i;
for (i=0; i<10; i+=1) {
    tab[i] = 1;
}

and then to access tab[0] they writing:

tab = 15;

This should also give error.

#21 BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

This should also give error.

You mean: variable and variable[0] should be separated.

• Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

GameGeisha: No. There will be no change to the general mechanic. Dim just has better access to variable structures.

Smarty: Possibly... I'm not sure how GM would handle this. It would probably have to be a compulsory paramater if we do that. They are still variables, you can still assign things to them. However, if you only need 4 arguments, and assign to argument12, then GM wull assume you need 13 arguments because argument12 is used.

I'm not sure about "Treat initialized variables as value 0" yet. We might be able to allow that on array expansion, I dont know.

Medusar: We're not adding the named paramter thing. It'll get rewritten for the next version, so we're not spending ages changing it now.

paul23: Ah. sorry yes. Missunderstood. No, can't do that just yet. But if we add an argc you could assign defaults yourself.

Maarten Baert: argument_count - agreed. We're not changig any extern stuff in this version.

sabriath: Not sure about DIM syntax yet. Whatever is easiest to do I suspect. Lets not kid ourselves, its a fudge. Because we're going to rewrite it all, we're not going to spend too long fixing this one.

IceMetalPunk: No, won't be adding nulls. You shouldn't access arguments that haven't been assigned.

gnysek: Thats just the way its written. Won't change that just now.

Also, if we have an argument_count, we could throw an error if you access ourside the argument array as well. probably should.

#23 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

The current idea, is that if you use argument[x], then it'll be as normal. So no checking. But most folk will use argument0, argument1 etc. All you'd have to do is rewrite your function to use argument[0] and argument[1] instead

I'm thinking about this dim... because now when I write script:
//myScript
if (argument3) draw_set_color(argument3) else draw_set_color(c_white);
draw_text(argument0, argument1, argument2);

I need to call it by myScript('text',0,0,0) in 8.1 (in 8.0 it can be myScript('text');).

You said, that argument[x] will be not checked in this case. But, since we use dim, If I'll write:
if (argument[3]) draw_set_color(argument[3]) else draw_set_color(c_white);
draw_text(argument[0], argument[1], argument[2]);
then use it as myScript('text');, argument[1..3] will be not set and give me error, because I need to use dim(argument,4), before right?

Edited by gnysek, 09 April 2011 - 11:05 AM.

#24 sabriath

sabriath

• GMC Member
  • 3174 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

@gnysek, your coding is terribly implemented. You are checking if an argument is '0' in order to check the boundary....Mike just stated that "argument_count" is a good idea, so you should be checking that instead.

if(argument_count > 1)
{
  //do stuff with argument[]
}

From reading what Mike is putting here, it seems that anytime 'argument' is used in this way, then it will allow variable argument assignment, where otherwise the highest value 'argument#' is used as the last parameter strictly. This means that it will be done at parsing and compile time, not runtime....it's as simple as doing a search of your scripts:

parsing:
-for each script
--does it use 'argument[]'...if so, mark this script as 'any number of arguments allowed'
--otherwise, look for all 'argument#', what's the highest '#', mark this script as 'requiring N arguments' where 'N' is #+1

compiling:
-when 'ident' is reached at any point and it is a script call
--if 'any number of arguments allowed' is marked, compile without errors
--otherwise if 'requiring N arguments', make sure 'N' arguments are supplied, give error if not

It's a pretty simple concept...so I don't see how a lot of you are not understanding.

#25 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

It was just the shortest example ;) But yes, with argument_count it's no longer a problem.

#26 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 7954 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Dim(myarray,16);

OK

What about a two dimensional array?

Dim(myarray,16,16);

Oops.

I'm thinking:
dim(myarray[16]);
dim(myarray[16,16]);

#27 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

If you're going to have a function to create arrays, don't name it dim.

@NPT: Although that would be nice, it doesn't really fit into GML.

#28 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 2783 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

The "dim()", function would be cool, but it would also be nice that it has no capital letters ("dim" not "Dim"), for easier typing.

As for the script arguments, I sometimes don't type them on purpose.
For example, in my drop down menus, I have a script add_menu(NAME,SHORTCUT,SPRITE), If for example the script has no sprite, I would just type add_menu("Button","Ctrl+B"), and if it has, I'd add a ", spr_button" as argument3.

Also, I agree on the argument_count function, as it can be handy at some times.

PS: I also have one request. It is not about this one, but about the image editor. Could you instead of having, for example Blur, we have Small, Medium and Large, could we type a number instead (0-100).

#29 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3684 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

As for the script arguments, I sometimes don't type them on purpose.
For example, in my drop down menus, I have a script add_menu(NAME,SHORTCUT,SPRITE), If for example the script has no sprite, I would just type add_menu("Button","Ctrl+B"), and if it has, I'd add a ", spr_button" as argument3.

You notice that by doing this (I assume you hence check for "if argument3 == 0" or something?) you have a huge (potential) bug in your code? - The first sprite you create in a project has always index "0"...

On top of that, the current syntax is preserved by using argument[x], requires just a small rewrite of your scripts.

Edited by paul23, 09 April 2011 - 04:09 PM.

#30 Rusky

Rusky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

You say you're going to rewrite all this, but wouldn't it be better to just put in the effort in the first place? It would be rather useless to have more ad-hoc implementations of the functionality you want only to remove it all in the next version.

The ideal solution would be to support arrays as first-class values (preferably dynamically resizable like in other dynamic languages):
var array = [ "some value" ]
show_message(array[3]) // error
array[3] = "hello world"
show_message(array[3]) // "hello world"
show_message(array[1]) // error

This way you could solve the arguments problem much more nicely, with an arguments array and then named arguments that refer to its elements:
// some_script(a, b, c)
do_stuff_with(a, b, c)
for (var i = 0; i < arguments.count; i += 1)
    do_other_stuff_with(arguments[i])
show_message(arguments[5]) // error

Optional arguments could be set up in the script editor to have default values the same way you name them:
// assume some_script(a, b = 3)
some_script(3)
some_script(4, 5)
some_script(6, 7, 8) // error

Finally, variadic arguments could also be set up in the script editor:
// some_script(a, *b)
// arguments is an array of [a, [stuff, in, b]]
// called as some_script(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

show_message(a)
for (var i = 0; i < b.count; i += 1)
    show_message(b[i])

It would be especially nice to support dictionaries/hashes/associative arrays/maps for keyword arguments:
// some_script(a, **b)
// arguments is an array of [a, {stuff = in, argument = b}]
// called as some_script("foo", bar = "baz", quux = "quux")

show_message(a)
for (var key : b)
    show_message(key + " => " + b[key])

Note that I'm not suggesting that everything be exactly this way, just that it have this functionality- the syntax could be very different and everything else would still be perfectly fine.

Edited by Rusky, 09 April 2011 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users