#1 Viloen

Viloen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 298 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:18 AM

Synposis
Angel Quest is an action game starring my favorite one winged angel Mallia. Currently it only has one level as I would like you all to test it and leave feedback before I proceed.

Here's the Game Info
1. Category : Action Platformer
2. File Size : Circa 6MB unzipped
3. GM Version : GM5 just kidding GM8
4. Vista Compatible : ???
5. Changes Screen Resolution : No
6. Download Link :
*Click Here*

Notes
1. Has controller support and redefinable keys [via Options Menu].
2. Autosaves at checkpoints.
3. Default controls kinda blow, so you might want to change them.
4. Uses surfaces.

Controls
1. Movement [arrow keys]
2. Knife Throw [ctrl key]
3. Hammer attack (can also destroy projectiles) [alt key]
4. Jump [Spacebar]

Screenies
Posted Image

Yeah I took a playful jab a Kirbyvania its sometimes hard not to. :rolleyes:

flya.png

#2 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:22 AM

Could you have possibly chosen a worse key combination than arrows, alt, space, and control?
At least it's not Kirbyvania.

Edited by IQbrew, 08 April 2011 - 03:24 AM.

"Personally, I rather look forward to a computer program winning the world chess championship. Humanity needs a lesson in humility. "

#3 Viloen

Viloen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

Yeah I'll admit the default controls kinda suck[for others] I find them easy to use. But they are customizable.

flya.png

#4 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

I'm curious, now.
How did you expect us to operate Alt, Control, Shift, and Space at once?
I can't do it.
"Personally, I rather look forward to a computer program winning the world chess championship. Humanity needs a lesson in humility. "

#5 Viloen

Viloen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

I'm curious, now.
How did you expect us to operate Alt, Control, Shift, and Space at once?
I can't do it.

I don't know maybe it's because I'm a letfy, but its probably because I'm using an old school keyboard where [alt] and [ctrl] are next to one another no Windows key. Shift isnt used at all.

Edited by Viloen, 09 April 2011 - 12:37 AM.

flya.png

#6 Viloen

Viloen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:58 AM

Ill likely have new levels this weekend. For those of you who've tried it already, can you provide feedback on the speed. Does it feel sluggish etc.
Additionally F4 toggles fullscreen.

flya.png

#7 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:35 AM

I'll try this out when i come home from school tomorrow. Mostly this post is to remind myself to try it out :P

Ok so, i liked the feel of the game a lot. The enemies were pretty easy to defeat overall, though i prefer a guard over a hammer for blocking things :P. The hammer felt kind of odd, i think it'd flow a lot better as a swing than one pound. Enemies on small platforms have always irritated me, but thats a personal preference. The combat i wish had a bit more too it, just that one hammer pound and spamming projectiles. I think if you spice up the combat a bit though, this game might turn out very well.
Note: Somehow i got a bug where none of the animations would work and the sprite wouldnt even face left, so i couldnt attack (Though i could still move left). It happened after i got hit, fell down a pit, and died.

Edited by linx137520, 13 April 2011 - 04:15 AM.

Posted ImageLinx~

#8 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

This is great! The scanlines make everything look better, which only serves to amplify your already excellent spritework. The difficulty feel just about right, too.

Questions/thoughts/complaints/whatever:
-Does the scoring system go much deeper than "pick stuff up and kill everyone"? I like that you milk an extra fifty points by dealing the final blow to an enemy with the hammer, but it's a bit too simple to stay engaging for very long.
-Why does "Attack" throw a knife and "Throw" attack with the hammer? 1
-Native gamepad support still useless due to my d-pad still not registering as buttons.
-I died by falling down a pit at some points. After respawning, Mallia was stuck in a jittering animation and I couldn't turn around or attack with her. Could still move around and jump just fine. Dying again didn't fix this. Also loading game didn't fix it.
-Also, loading game doesn't make the music switch from the menu music.
-Menu button does nothing. I assume you just haven't implemented the menu yet.
-Is the wizard enemy a WIP? They're pretty boring as they are right now.
-There's this huge delay when you enter the boss-room. The boss caught me by surprise because the fight just started with no introduction, too. I like not having a delay, though.
-Another at-death glitch. This time I was invisible, but could see my wing. I was only visible when getting hit. Another death fixed it right up.
-End of demo! That was fun. I'll give it another run and see if I can't beat it without my lives running into the negative. This'll be quite the challenge once running out of lives does something.

5 minutes later: Yeah okay I 1-lifed it. Was a lot easier once I stopped trying to finish everyone with the hammer.

Edited by zeddidragon, 13 April 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations