186 replies to this topic

#1 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4157 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Okay... here's the rules. I probably won't manage most of these, so DEFINITELY one per customer (might change later depending on the number of requests). I'm after very SMALL things you would like to see added. I've already added a few minor things which have made a difference, and there's a couple of others I want to add.

So here's you're chance. If you think you have a feature that would only take 10min to add, then suggest away! This does not give you Carte Blanche to give stupid requests like speed it all up or make the .exe it 3k in size, or even more realistic things goals like; I want an animation tool etc. These will all take far too long or would be impossible anyway.

Keep it small. There was a feature request added to the bug database about changing the background colour on the code editor to allow those with visual disabilities better access. I agree with this one. I don't like "white" editors either, I get horrible eye strain. This won't take long, so it'll go it.

Any others you can think of? If it's reasonable, then even if it doesn't make it now... it'll probably make it in a future update.

#2 varuks

varuks

GMC Member

• 982 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

Please make it possible to have objects draw stuff and not be invisibe. I hate this esspecially cause I don't use pro and I have to shift the sprite xwise. In pro you can jus draw the object's sprite WITH the mirror but in lite you cant do that.

EDIT:YES! FIRST POST!
EDITEDIT: Don't know if tis is a feature but... I had a script that had some of it's own variables. and it ran like an object, saving the values of these said variables. It should be possible to make a scrippt both do and not do this. perhaps an on of togle?

Edited by varuks, 17 March 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#3 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7471 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

Since I use code actions exclusively (like many others), I'd like the (configurable!) option to have an Execute Code action automatically inserted when I add an event to an object.

Of course ideally us script addicts would want it so that the object window shows a code editor for each event rather than a D&D list, but failing that, this would add a bit of convenience.

Edit: when adding the event, in addition to inserting the Execute Code action it might as well straight away open the code editor for that action.

Edited by Smarty, 17 March 2011 - 02:13 PM.

#4 DirtyUnicorn

DirtyUnicorn

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

draw_self() function.
i use it alot. im sure many more people could use it.
I think its self explanitory.

#5 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

O.k. Promise. Shouldn't take longer than 10. :D

Posted Image

It'd nice to be able to 'flag' a particular timeline event. Right click, scroll, select flag, and then a little icon would appear next to that step.

Dealing with bigger timelines (Which your reusing for more than 1 thing..!) can be a bit annoying when your looking for a particular 'event' which you know is in one of those steps, but you have to click away until you find the one your looking for.

So definitely if I was able to flag those events, it'd save me some hassle.

#6 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

Maybe add a preference to always auto-sort the resource tree so you don't have to click "Sort by name" every time you add a script or something? If not for the whole tree, then at least for scripts.

#7 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3918 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

hmm I'm not sure how long this'll take, though I think it's just a matter of "parsing" code so shouldn't be too long..

Allow this type of code:

//called from instance C
instanceA.instance_destroy();
instanceB.doStuff(x,y);

Which would be equivalent to:
with (instanceA) {
    instance_destroy();
}
with (instanceB) {
    doStuff(other.x, other.y); //the x, y are from C's scope
}

This would reduce the amount of typing a person needs to do a lot. (And I think make code more clear in case you have some smaller things).

If that is not possible:
instance_destroy(instancA);
would also be a handy code :P.

#8 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2616 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

Make the code editor's search/replace functionality not select the whole text when clicking the search or replace input fields. Rather, put the text cursor where the user clicks (or select part of the text when the user drags). Also, when starting typing do not replace the text by previously used text strings. This is very annoying when having to search/replace things that are similar but not identical to previous search/replace strings. Optionally you can display "suggestions" in the dropdown menu and make them clickable.

#9 piluke

piluke

Pixel Matrix Member

• GMC Member
  • 491 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:48 AM

In the code editor if you're editing huge pieces of code, it can be a pain to have to scroll down to where you were testing some code every time you need to change something. I'd like the editor to be able to go back to where the cursor was so no scrolling would be needed.

#10 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

draw_self() - added. Andrew has been after this for a while as well.

Desert Dog: Nice idea... but will take too long for now. I'll try and remember it for next time though. Along with this would be allowing you to rename the "execute code" text in an object to something meaningful. But both would take too long for now.

ThatGamesGuy: Perhaps... not high on the list though.

paul23: Sorry.. would take far too long that one. I'll look at instance_destroy(instance) though.

Erik Leppen: I actually quite like it. Also, with the new <CTRL-F> for finding, you need it to mark it so that when you type a NEW search, it'll replace the one thats there. Otherwise youd have to do <CTRL-F> and then manually delete the text thats there. So... sorry. :(

piluke: I agree with this, and it would be nice. But I don't think doing that would be the correct fix. The fix would be to make it non-modal, and that can't happen just yet. For now, I'd suggest you execute SCRIPTs instead, then the code window can stay open as long as you like!

#11 piluke

piluke

Pixel Matrix Member

• GMC Member
  • 491 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

Okay that makes sense. I'd rather have it non-modal anyway, there are too many problems with the moduality(?) or the code editor.

#12 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

Maybe add a preference to always auto-sort the resource tree so you don't have to click "Sort by name" every time you add a script or something? If not for the whole tree, then at least for scripts.

No thanks. I prefer to sort resources myself, especially rooms since their order in the resource tree determines what order they are linked for room_first, room_next(), room_previous(), room_last, etc.

I have a "small" feature request. Can we get more functions for all resources, similar to the routines for rooms? Sometimes it is useful to loop through resources in the code, and it would be easier if we had:

Spoiler

Edited by Big J, 17 March 2011 - 11:31 AM.

#13 Razon

Razon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

Speaking of resources, I had requested a feature in the bug tracker that shouldn't take too long to add- a way to get a resource id by the string name of the resource. If we were to make our own map ds to search through instead, than it would at least help to know the first and last resource id as Big J mentioned.

http://bugs.yoyogame...view.php?id=556

Edited by Razon, 17 March 2011 - 11:51 AM.

#14 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

Add back in triple clicking on a line to select the line, this was removed in GM8's script editor, it's rather standard behaviour.

Edited by flexaplex, 17 March 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#15 ani12321

ani12321

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

I remember that in Game Maker 6.1 was an option in scaling sprites that can scale a sprite not only in percents but even in pixels. I think this is a tiny thing but also useful.

#16 NpN Games

NpN Games

Stupid Evil Genius

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

Dont know how much time will it take, but Add an option to open(not expand!) all resources in a group.

#17 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

More built-in colors. I know we can make them ourselves; but some more variations would be nice; as it'll make it quick and easy for more situations. Say, cream for instance.

On the side, although I reckon it would take too long to make, I think you need to implement a instance_nth_nearest() script; so we don't have to make our own. A fair number of games would need it.

-MoK

#18 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8362 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

INI file improvements.

The ability to open and use INI files outside of the program directory. Writing INI files in the program directory is a big no-no in the Vista Win 7 world especically if the executable is installed under programs. A read-only variable pointing to the users home directory whould go a long way to encouraging game maker users create INI files in a more UAC acceptible location.

#19 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 552 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

I've got one that I'm waiting for about 8 years now and every time I've heard "no". Maybe this time...

So in Polish alphabet we have some more letters like "ąćęłńóśżź" (if you don't have UTF-8 maybe you don't see them), and to enter that you need to press for example RightAlt+A to get "ą". In code editor I cannot enter that letters, because for example RightAlt+O gives me new object, not "ó". What is more fun, I can write text in Notepad or Word, and copy it into code editor, to use it inside draw_text() - and it works (even with custom fonts). I can also load it from file. So the problem is only when typing text from GM.

So if there is possibility to add option (only option, in settings window) to disable RightAlt in shortcuts I would be grateful.

I think that many other countries have the same problem (like Dutch, German, Czech & Slovakian, even French) because diactric characters are very popular in all languages except English and Latin which have letter that are base for all others.

----------------------

P.S. Delphi have the same problem, but there is registry fix for that:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Borland\ Delphi\7.0\Editor\Options]
"NoCtrlAltKeys"="1"

Edited by gnysek, 17 March 2011 - 02:13 PM.

#20 legocjman

legocjman

Soldier of Christ

• GMC Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

Add the ability to change more options on the game loading bar (showing what GM is loading like in debug mode, whether the loading bar should stretch or post a new copy of the image next to it, etc.)

#21 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

I'd really like to be able to have an animated loading image/loading bar(gif's).
It doesn't seem like it would be a hard thing to do, but then again I don't know much about making loading bars ._.

Edited by orange08, 17 March 2011 - 02:28 PM.

#22 Tsn

Tsn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

I'd like there to be a possibility to search through all objects the same way it is possible with scripts.

#23 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 9160 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

I'd like the functions instance_activate_object_region(left,top,width,height,object,inside) and instance_deactivate_object_region(left,top,width,height,object,inside,notme) to be added. (I've suggested these since 6.1, in fact). They would (de)activate instance inside or outside a given region, but only instances of the given object. These functions would for instance make it much more simple to use deactivation in platform games since they provide a convenient way of having walls active in a box around the normal active box - preventing enemies and items off-screen to get stuck when walls get activated. These functions alone would make the nearly-deprecated instance deactivation system a lot more versatile, and it would be a lot easier to use for newbie developers - the commonplace workaround would be using 7 calls of misc. (de)activation functions (and two extra parent objects), while with these functions it's enough with 3 calls.

I also figure they could be added pretty quickly by just copy-pasting the code from instance_activate_region() and adding a check for whether the current instance in the loop is of the type of object we're (de)activating. Unless you're coding Game Maker in Assembly. ;)

Edited by Yal, 17 March 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#24 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3538 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

In the sprite editor i always wanted to have an option to set the alpha of the current image to the color of the current image (set alpha from color?)
It would be handy when you have to work with many different alphas and subimages, so you dont have to export every image and then load the alpha of each of them..

#25 icicle.flame

icicle.flame

CyntaxGames

• 283 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

For the instance acivate object you can say
with(object){
if x<(left) and x>(right) or y<(top) and y>(bottom){
instance_deactivate();
}
}

And wont draw_self be draw_sprite(sprite index,-1,x,y)?

Ok... I would like to see:
A) a search (or find and replace xD) in all code at one time (not just scripts)
B) the option to compile to windows exe, or mac (uhh..) .app? .dmg?

:0 (and the source code for gm. If that could be worked out =P)

Much Appreciated

#26 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 9160 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

Icicle, you clearly are a novice.

For the instance acivate object you can say
with(object){
if x<(left) and x>(right) or y<(top) and y>(bottom){
instance_deactivate();
}
}

And wont draw_self be draw_sprite(sprite index,-1,x,y)?

draw_self() would be draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,image_index,x,y,image_xscale,image_yscale,image_angle,image_blend,image_alpha), and that function is not available for Lite users even though they may alter xscale, yscale and alpha.

As for instance activation - first of all, you should use paranthesises - that expression will not only be true when the instance is inside the box but also during some other times. Plus, calling interpreted GML a lot of times with one compiled code call per time is LOADS slower than calling interpreted GML once and have lots of compiled function calls as the result of the GML call.

Finally, tell me how to activate objects of a single type only in a desired region, using currently existing GML functions. *snicker*.

Edited by Yal, 17 March 2011 - 03:22 PM.

#27 BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

BlueMoonProductions

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

'Enhance' the z-buffer.

At the moment, it is only 16-bit, which allows 65536 different values. This causes a lot of ugly renderings, especially when using d3d_set_projection instead of d3d_set_projection_ext.
The default values of znear and zfar in d3d_set_projection are 1 and 32000. I'm not sure if you can imagine that this will be a problem with a 16-bit z-buffer(65536 values), but really, it is.

But even when using fixed values for znear and zfar, 16-bit is not good enough.

So my suggestion is, enhance the z-buffer to 32-bit or even 64.

Edited by BlueMoonProductions, 17 March 2011 - 03:23 PM.

#28 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

My suggestion.

I'd like to have a center tool in the sprite editor. Sometimes I work with huge canvases for sprites that I don't know what the final size will be. With a center tool, I can center the sprite where-ever I like on the canvas, resize to the limits of the sprites, and then center it so that it's simple. If you really want to make me happy, center around a point.

I know we have a crop tool, but I'd like it to be better. If a traditional slider, WYSIWYG way is not too hard, that'd be great, however I think this is pushing it.

#29 LSnK

LSnK

NaN

• GMC Member
  • 1188 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

Please integrate these commonly-used scripts as functions.

The most important ones are lerp and angle_diff. Incredibly useful.

#30 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

Erik Leppen: I actually quite like it. Also, with the new <CTRL-F> for finding, you need it to mark it so that when you type a NEW search, it'll replace the one thats there. Otherwise youd have to do <CTRL-F> and then manually delete the text thats there. So... sorry. :(

This is the most annoying thing ever, added to the fact that search settings are not global (which they should be), so you have to constantly type then in again. There is no advantage to highlighting all the text on one click instead of double clicking (like anything else).

Can't you just make one click place the cursor and a double click highlight it all? Please?

Edited by Dark Matter, 17 March 2011 - 04:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users