185 replies to this topic

#151 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

More of a bug fix.. but could this error be corrected?
Posted Image
It shows this every time you have a variable that is named to anything that matches the first word of a function name, and since the pointer is at position 0 when the code editor is opened, it opens the function list automatically on it.

Yeah; it's also annoying when I want to move a line down, but the variable name matches the beginning of a function name, so as soon as I click at the beginning of the line the code box pops up and pressing ENTER replaces my variable with a function name (or inbuilt variable/constant name). It's quite annoying; I think the IntelliSense should be "intelligent" enough to "sense" when something is obviously a variable assignment and not pop up in that case. Or, the easier route: when the box DOES pop up, have nothing selected by default (instead of the first option), so pressing ENTER doesn't select anything, but rather closes the box and inserts a line break correctly.

-IMP ;) :)

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#152 mcoot

mcoot

GMC Member

• 387 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

More of a bug fix.. but could this error be corrected?
Posted Image
It shows this every time you have a variable that is named to anything that matches the first word of a function name, and since the pointer is at position 0 when the code editor is opened, it opens the function list automatically on it.

Agreed, that's really annoying, though maybe the new feature of pressing escape to close the box will help.

Ultimate Healthbars - Easy healthbars in shapes from circular to sine wave

The obligatory (anti)religious signature message: Irreducible complexity is a stupid argument - what seems absurd is not a valid guide in science

#153 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

You can press ESC in 8.1 to hide it, it was mentioned some posts ago or in another topic and on twitter.

Previously game developer at YoYoGames, Currently PHP developer in DB-Team
Programming and working with: GML/C#/PHP/JS/MySql/CSS/HTML

Follow 
@GameMakerUpdate to get info about latest versions of GM when they are released: https://twitter.com/GameMakerUpdate

(it's managed by bot, not by human, remember)

#154 Artaex Media

Artaex Media

Artaex Media

• GMC Member
  • 1531 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

@Don Arthuro I Already requested that. It won't be added because 'it is too much work'.

#155 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:25 PM

You can press ESC in 8.1 to hide it, it was mentioned some posts ago or in another topic and on twitter.

Still, ESC shouldn't be required just to move something down a line. There's no reason for the auto-complete box to have a default selected value...that's like it assumes, "oh, this is kind of like this function, so you definitely want that replaced, right?" Instead, the philosophy should be more like, "this is kind of like this function, so I'll show it to you and let you select it if you want it replaced." It's not a tech issue, just a design issue.

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#156 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7479 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:41 PM

@Don Arthuro I Already requested that. It won't be added because 'it is too much work'.

Yes, it is. I'm not even sure how you can think code folding fits in 10 minutes of development, including testing. It's as if you've never actually been through development and testing cycles.

But it's not the only suggestion that has been posted without giving this topic any thought. Or reading. Or in the case of Don Arthuro, both.

#157 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3987 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Yeah; it's also annoying when I want to move a line down, but the variable name matches the beginning of a function name, so as soon as I click at the beginning of the line the code box pops up and pressing ENTER replaces my variable with a function name (or inbuilt variable/constant name). It's quite annoying; I think the IntelliSense should be "intelligent" enough to "sense" when something is obviously a variable assignment and not pop up in that case. Or, the easier route: when the box DOES pop up, have nothing selected by default (instead of the first option), so pressing ENTER doesn't select anything, but rather closes the box and inserts a line break correctly.

Mostly this is done by only popping up the box IF you actually typed something (so not popping up the box when scrolling/using arrow keys)

#158 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16542 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

icuurd12b42: If you want native sorting, why not use a list? Put the depth above the 32bits of the object ID and insert the whole thing into a list, then sort it. You can then loop through the list and AND off the lower 32bits to get the order of your objects? Like this...where d is the depth. Make sure its a WHOLE number, scaling it up if you have to. Personally I wouldn't use the ID directly, I'd use an indirection table., This would keep the number of items down to <16bits, allowing more depth to be used.

It's too slow. No matter what method is used... I dont think you understand the purpose of the function, by your response.

You know, my message was cut a little short, I got people ringing at the door and had to step out so I finished the post a little abruptly.

It's for getting rid of 3d artfacts like triangles interfering with one another AND specifically, for alphaed models or models with alphaed textures. Many posts in the 3d section are about these 2 problems.

the fastest script in gml is this

with(argument2) depth = point_distance(x,y,argument0,argument1);

if that was native it would be useable. but a gml implementation is too demanding on the interpreter

Any other code, like storing in an array, or a list, and then sort... Why? you just need to set the depth to the distance. There is no benifit of using an array or a list, objects are created and destroy every step. the overhead would be too large.

Right now, the most efficient, half decent method is that we have to go in a round about way, using randomized alarm in each object so all the instances dont do it at the same time and dont do it every step, to keep the FPS up to speed

create
alarm[0] = random(30)+1;

alarm0
depth = point_distance(x,y,cam.x,cam.y)
alarm[0] = room_speed/4;

if you were able to add draw_self(), I'm sure this one liner code would be implemented faster than us discussing the cost benifit.

[edit]
Fixed wording, fixed example code

Edited by icuurd12b42, 19 March 2011 - 11:05 PM.

#159 garrlker

garrlker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

I don't know if these will take long so let's see.
A function that will take a color and return the opposite. I've needed one before, but still can't figure out the way to do it in GML but I know it can be.
And set certain objects and rescources to a ctrl+ whatever key. For instance I set obj_player to ctrl+p, save my game and close. Next day I log back on and hit ctrl+p and my object pops back up without having to dig through folders. It's not really a needed function but could help some people. I certainly wouldn't mind.

#160 garrlker

garrlker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

EDIT:Sorry, my internet is buggy today and sent two posts.

Edited by garrlker, 19 March 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#161 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

A function that will take a color and return the opposite. I've needed one before, but still can't figure out the way to do it in GML but I know it can be.
And set certain objects and rescources to a ctrl+ whatever key. For instance I set obj_player to ctrl+p, save my game and close. Next day I log back on and hit ctrl+p and my object pops back up without having to dig through folders. It's not really a needed function but could help some people. I certainly wouldn't mind.

By "opposite", you mean the inverse?

/* color_get_inverse(col) */
var r,g,b;
r=color_get_red(argument0);
g=color_get_green(argument0);
b=color_get_blue(argument0);
return make_color_rgb(255-r, 255-g, 255-b);

#162 blopit

blopit

just like you, only

• GMC Member
  • 815 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:31 PM

Dear Santa,
I have 2 suggestions cause I'm a rebel. I want screen_redraw_part(x,y,w,h) and support for .apng
-Blopit

Edited by blopit, 19 March 2011 - 11:32 PM.

oQHDf4s.png

E3VdaOr.png GLOB demo - GMC Jam #11( PC , iOS (soon...) )
Physics based puzzle platformer. Bounce, swing, stick and slingshot your way to the finish! Solutions: Level 1Level 2Level 3 (3 solutions for last one)
Note: PC demo works on Mac with Wineskin 2.0 (use Mac driver instead of X11) & press esc on black screen.

#163 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7479 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:53 PM

If you mean the inverted color, it should be pretty simple:

inverted_color=$FFFFFF-color

#164 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:58 PM

Ok, I read about the first 3 pages and gave up, so I hope these are new:

1) A function to check if a string could be converted to a real without error - The real() function nearly does this anyway.

2) Setting the working directory of files when executing.

3) Simple window focus/foreground functions.

EDIT: There are going to be way to many suggestions by morning for mike to look at them - I hope he is still up!

EDIT 2: Oh, sorry - I forgot the 1 per customer rule... Well, seems kind of stupid to remove them... Just ignore the 2 harder ones. :-)

Edited by Docopoper, 20 March 2011 - 12:10 AM.

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

The destination is much harder to reach when you don't want to walk towards it.

#165 Big J

Big J

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2852 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:15 AM

If you mean the inverted color, it should be pretty simple:

inverted_color=$FFFFFF-color

This works too, don't know if it's faster, slower, or the same.
inverted_color = color ^ c_white;

Edited by Big J, 20 March 2011 - 12:16 AM.

Read this before contacting me with a mentor request. This text file is subject to amendments at any time, without notice.

Get your GM 8.1 Anti-Aliasing here!
2712265.png

#166 icicle.flame

icicle.flame

CyntaxGames

• 283 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:16 AM

A file function?
Directory_get_files(ARRAY,DIRECTORY);

Recursively adds files to an array from directory.

:Secret Weapon (secret game):
:Programming: [][][][][][][][][][]
:Spriting: [][][][][][][][][][]
:Storyline: [][][][][][][][][][]
:Sounds: [][][][][][][][][][]

:Awsomeness:[][][][][][][][][][]

Posted Image .

#167 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:24 AM

1) A function to check if a string could be converted to a real without error - The real() function nearly does this anyway.

EDIT: There are going to be way to many suggestions by morning for mike to look at them - I hope he is still up!

EDIT 2: Oh, sorry - I forgot the 1 per customer rule... Well, seems kind of stupid to remove them... Just ignore the 2 harder ones. :-)

1) isreal()/isstring() should suit your purposes.

2) That would defeat the purpose of working_directory; that's where the program is. >_<

3) window_set_* functions should be good.

#168 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3987 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:32 AM

2) That would defeat the purpose of working_directory; that's where the program is. >_<

Nope, if you "open with" on a file, the working directory is that file. And there are other cases where the working directory changes (shortcuts?).

Though I think the underlying request is that dll/ini files don't have to be in the working directory's folder.

Edited by paul23, 20 March 2011 - 12:33 AM.

#169 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

1) isreal()/isstring() should suit your purposes.

3) window_set_* functions should be good.

1) isreal()/isstring() are different - they check if a variable is a real/string - I am talking about checking if a string would make the real() function throw an error if you put it in:
ex: real("hello") would show an error - so this function should tell you that it will.

2) The working directory is where the game is stored - the problem is that if you make GM execute a program that is in a different directory then it's working_directory is set to GM's directory.
I had this problem when trying to execute a batch file that executes more batch files in it's own folder - the batch file couldn't find the others because it thought it was in GM's folder not it's own.

Edited by Docopoper, 20 March 2011 - 12:36 AM.

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

The destination is much harder to reach when you don't want to walk towards it.

#170 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:45 AM

:OOOOOOO

Forgot about something, this in GML.

#171 blopit

blopit

just like you, only

• GMC Member
  • 815 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:51 AM

wait isn't that like variable_local_exists(name)??
oQHDf4s.png

E3VdaOr.png GLOB demo - GMC Jam #11( PC , iOS (soon...) )
Physics based puzzle platformer. Bounce, swing, stick and slingshot your way to the finish! Solutions: Level 1Level 2Level 3 (3 solutions for last one)
Note: PC demo works on Mac with Wineskin 2.0 (use Mac driver instead of X11) & press esc on black screen.

#172 Rusky

Rusky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2492 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

variable_local_exists(name) || variable_global_exists(name) is closer, disregarding scope differences between the languages.

#173 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 4800 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:23 AM

Instead of defaulting the resource names to something like sprite0 and object583, I'd prefer that the names be set to something like spr_0 and obj_583 by default, and when the properties window appears, the number part is highlighted so that we can immediately type in the proper name. Also, when handling pictures/sounds being dragged into the designer window, make it so that the name defaults to something like spr_<name of file> rather than sprite0_<name of file> (of course, if there are invalid characters like ! and spaces, replace them with underscores). It's a minor change that I think would be pretty convenient, and would encourage novices to start prefixing because they aren't made to change the entire name of the resource.

GameGeisha

Edit: One more extension to this idea --- if the extension of the file dragged into the window is not recognized as a picture, a sound or a GM-related filetype, add it as an include file. Bring up the include file menu to let the user know it has been added.

Edited by GameGeisha, 20 March 2011 - 02:43 AM.

Latest Releases:

#174 Water Chicken

Water Chicken

Got it memorized?

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:28 AM

Or allow the user to change the default prefix in the preferences?

#175 Schyler

Schyler

Noskcirderf Derf

• GMC Member
  • 2679 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:34 AM

#define taking too long to add? Joke?

Would you like me to add it for you?

#176 Camman

Camman

UnReal Software CEO

• GMC Member
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:21 AM

Copy and paste D&D actions from one GM window to another?

That is all :)

Android Apps:
l7UyhTE.png

#177 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:31 AM

I don't think you can have a null in GM, so that seems a little pointless, unless you're using 'var fudiafudisa;', in which case you're setting it in the script/code.

#178 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:36 AM

I don't think you can have a null in GM, so that seems a little pointless, unless you're using 'var fudiafudisa;', in which case you're setting it in the script/code.

Null as in not set. Never been assigned to, ignored script parameters, etc. It already partially exists since some values can return false for both is_real() and is_string().

#179 garrlker

garrlker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:41 AM

Thank you for that little bit of code. And yes I meant inverse.

#180 ~Dannyboy~

~Dannyboy~

~hoqhuue(|~

• GMC Member
  • 2144 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:47 AM

the fastest script in gml is this

with(argument2) depth = point_distance(x,y,argument0,argument1);

Since you're only doing this to sort them by distance, it should be significantly faster to do without a squareroot... I don't have time to test it right now, but if I've understood you correctly, something like this should really be faster and achieve the same effect:
var dx, dy;
with(argument2) {
    dx = x - argument0;
    dy = y - argument1;
    depth = dx * dx + dy * dy;
}
That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's slower in GML... Which brings me to a feature request!

Could we please have a point_distance_squared(x1, y1, x2, y2) function? Often in cases like this the square is all you need, and it's much faster to compute, it would be nice to have a nice fast built-in version. ;)

EDIT: And if I may be so bold as to bring my feature request up to 15 minutes, point_distance_3d(x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2) and point_distance_squared_3d(x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2) would also be nice! :snitch:

Edited by ~Dannyboy~, 20 March 2011 - 04:55 AM.

I cannot comprehend how intelligent people who spend much of their time designing and creating graphics, audio and code
refuse to believe that they themselves must have been designed and created.

Table Soccer | Yet Another Pacman | Astroblobs | GM Credits | GM Lego NXT | My Site

Posted Image

#181 Gamer3D

Gamer3D

Human* me = this;

• GMC Member
  • 1819 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:23 AM

What about overloading of extension functions?

Currently, when defining an extension function, we must define:
  • NAME
  • EXTERNAL_NAME
  • ARGUMENT_COUNT
    [*}ARGUMENT_TYPE[ARGUMENT_COUNT]
I would like to be able to define two functions with the same NAME, but with different EXTERNAL_NAMEs and either different ARGUMENT_COUNTs or ARGUMENT_TYPEs. Current result(yes, I tested it): one function (always the same) gets called whether string or real is put in.

Why this would be useful:
As an example, DLLs for data structures. If the user wants to call add("blah") and add(1), then with the current system, the original programmer must have written this script for add:
if (is_real(argument0))
    return add_real(argument0);
else
    return add_string(argument0);
This adds significant overhead when the DLL itself is fast. Also, the complexity of the script required increases to 2^n when n are variables able to be either string OR real. With overloading, the entire burden would be shifted onto significantly faster compiled code, and would not require the script.

Potential benefits: Massive in some cases, none in others. Potential problems: Not backwards-compatible with GM7.
I also considered requesting this for DLLs, but because those are done with what is effectively a function pointer, it would be impossible.

Edited by Gamer3D, 20 March 2011 - 07:24 AM.

Fast Priority Queues - Game Maker's priority queues are O(n). Mine do everything that Game Maker's do, but in O(log n) time.
Dual-Quaternion Skinning - Modifying vertexes in GM is slow. This simple vertex shader does the job both quickly and well.

#182 Rani_sputnik

Rani_sputnik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

EDIT: And if I may be so bold as to bring my feature request up to 15 minutes, point_distance_3d(x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2) and point_distance_squared_3d(x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2) would also be nice!

Agree! but I think that would end in a whirlpool situation like Mike discussed earlier, there are so many 3d math functions that would just be awesome to have added!
@ Mike, if 3d math is branching into a pool of math that's far to big, could you add a dot(x1,y1,x2,y2) I know it wouldn't be used very often so are probably low priority but I use it :) it's useful for 2d verlet physics and fake 3d engines. I use both every now and then and I don't imagine it'd be too hard. I can understand if you don't though, they are seldom used for most people I guess *shrug*

EDIT: Oh I am a fool, if point_distance_squared was implimented you could do 2d dot products *face palm* nevermind

Edited by Rani_sputnik, 20 March 2011 - 08:37 AM.

My games - Boy Goes to Space, Proleague (Facebook & Kongregate), Making WayJam Tart (GMCJam#14) and Seal Fighter

Currently working on FloxGM - All-in-one backend for leaderboards, scores, cross device saves and analytics

Check out my website: ryanloader.me, or follow me: twitter.com/RaniSputnik

#183 sabriath

sabriath

• GMC Member
  • 3189 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:53 AM

#define taking too long to add? Joke?

Would you like me to add it for you?

Yes, it is more than a 10 minute fix...only 1 person on these forums can boast about their programming abilities, and that's me, and there's no way I am that fast. You require the following BNF/EBNF addition:

<preproc> := "#define" <ws>+ <ident> ['(' <ws>* <ident> [',' <ws>* <ident>]* ')' <ws>*] <notlf>* <lf>
<stmt> := <preproc>

Even if 'ws' and 'ident' parsing functionality is complete, that still leaves all the other things to parse, gen, verify, and test. Not to mention that anything that is done for the compiler, must also be done for the runner's runtime compilation part as well (including testing).

Tutorials of Interest:
* Multiplayer: mine or True Valhalla's

Projects:
* Net39
* My 39dll scripts
* My 39dll lib
* Multiplayer Engine
* Artificial Chemistry

Posted Image

#184 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• Global Moderators
  • 3119 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

There's a script called angle_difference. Wouldn't it be great if this was a function?

#185 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3553 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

There's a script called angle_difference. Wouldn't it be great if this was a function?

A few pages before Mike said it was too complex to add new functions and test them (so, hopepefully this suggestions will be added to GM9)

Speaking of functions, is it too complex to expand the max number of arguments?

PS: why in hell GML is limited in the number of arguments?? :mellow:

#186 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4401 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

Okay... I'm gonna close this down. The suggestions are getting downright silly.

As "a last hurrah", I've added..

dot_product(x1,y1, x2,y2)
dot_product_3d(x1,y1,z1, x2,y2,z2)
point_distance_3d(x1,y1,z1, x2,y2,z2)

..mainly because I couldn't sleep and was feeling generous, but also because I can see these taking a long time in GML. The dot products will also normalise the vectors.

You can also now specify the default TAB that will show on the object form. This allows the script tab to be the one that pops up, meaning it's one less click for you.

So that's it... I think I still have a couple of previous suggestions to review, but that'll be them all for now. I hope when 8.1 comes out, you'll all be please at what we've managed to get in, particularly in the areas you've been suggesting.

Cheers folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users