#1 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:11 PM

• Title: How to make 2D Topdown Sprite Looks 3D Tutorial
  • Description: Basic idea on how to add layered drawing that make your 2D sprite looks 3D
  • GM Version: GM 8
  • File Type: .zip (contains two .gmk)
  • File Size: 50 kb
  • File Link: .zip only

ncc.png
:medieval: :medieval: Thank you very much for this awesome certification! :medieval: :medieval:
Additional Info
I created this tutorial because there's many people that think I used 3D model in my WIP game War Gears: Crossing the Redzone, and some people might be curious why the game run pretty fast. Actually... No, I'm not even use any d3d script to do that.
screenshot109copy.jpg
I'll show you the super simple secret, in this tiny tutorial.
The main idea is the usage of layer in draw event, that's all. All you need is separate 2D top down images that put together, plus simple color manipulation.
trick.jpg

And VOILA... Download the UPDATED zip to see the detailed AWESOME script. And hopefully it will help you a lot smile.gif

UPDATED!!
Zipped an extra example that shows how to make an "organic 3D boy" using this method, and also how to draw trees. This example now supports view rotation and zooming!! you'll need to download the zip file above to see how it's works. And as a bonus in this example I'll also show you my method on how draw HUD that not affected by the view zooming nor view rotation. What are you waiting for ?! Go download it! :medieval:
screenshoq.jpg

Edited by chance, 20 September 2014 - 02:41 AM.
No link.

Thumb_Jilbab.png96un.pngsssignature.png

#2 xXKiTheifXx

xXKiTheifXx

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

Wow :o
Thats awesome.

#3 fredcobain

fredcobain

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

Thats awesome! [2]

Man, I never thought draw that way!

smart guy!

=)
I am an Posted Image in the GM Quiz!

#4 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:00 AM

I can't test at the moment, but are you simply drawing multiple sprites, with a vertical offset? Is the origin centered on each individual sprite, or focused on a certain point on the unit as a whole?

#5 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1403 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:31 AM

I'd like to point out two of the main benefits to using this system.

First, you can "destroy" any part of the model. If someone shoots your head, you can remove JUST a circle in the head sprite, and it will all continue to work pretty well.

Second, you can have the "feet" be "underwater", or damaged, or something. Just giving the bottom 3 sprites a blue blend will make it look like it's under water. Things like a "recovery" effect are also possible by having a yellow blend pass through the sprites from bottom to top.

#6 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• Global Moderators
  • 3257 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:49 AM

Sweet graphics on that game of yours!
Yeah, this method is a classic. I invented it once myself too, and ended up getting completely addicted with fake 3D.
I'm not as good a spriter as you, but I made some sprites a looong time ago - Samus, A chap named Gunther.

Edited by TheSnidr, 16 May 2011 - 06:49 AM.

#7 tomasart

tomasart

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

Arrhhgg, damm :blink: now I must change all my sprites. I have do so much work to make 8 angle sprites to have a nice look and know I see your mini tutorial and love it. Much more efficient that the 8 angle sprites and looks awesome. I think this is one of the best tecnics I have see . Thanks very much to share this trick.

#8 nickydude

nickydude

MadLad Designs

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

That's very clever.

My Specs: Windows 7, 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660,  Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz, 8GB Ram.

#9 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

Wow :o
Thats awesome.

Thats awesome! [2]

Man, I never thought draw that way!

smart guy!

=)

That's very clever.

Arrhhgg, damm :blink: now I must change all my sprites. I have do so much work to make 8 angle sprites to have a nice look and know I see your mini tutorial and love it. Much more efficient that the 8 angle sprites and looks awesome. I think this is one of the best tecnics I have see . Thanks very much to share this trick.

Whoa ::lmao:: !! at last this topic got an attention, what a nice responses, thanks for your nice compliments :wub: . I hope it's useful for your TDS games, I'll be very happy if there's many TDS in Yoyogames that uses this method of drawing, because it will looks AWESOME :D .

I can't test at the moment, but are you simply drawing multiple sprites, with a vertical offset? Is the origin centered on each individual sprite, or focused on a certain point on the unit as a whole?

Yes, I'm simply draw (layering) multiple sprites, and I'm always put origin in the center, and later using different y position for each "layer", and then give the sprite that have lower position darker color. It's that simple.

I'd like to point out two of the main benefits to using this system.

First, you can "destroy" any part of the model. If someone shoots your head, you can remove JUST a circle in the head sprite, and it will all continue to work pretty well.

Second, you can have the "feet" be "underwater", or damaged, or something. Just giving the bottom 3 sprites a blue blend will make it look like it's under water. Things like a "recovery" effect are also possible by having a yellow blend pass through the sprites from bottom to top.

Very clever ideas! I've tried using the "underwater" before. But, "destroy part"? It must be looks COOL I think I must try it soon. :) "Recovery Effect" is great idea, I've never think about it.

Sweet graphics on that game of yours!
Yeah, this method is a classic. I invented it once myself too, and ended up getting completely addicted with fake 3D.
I'm not as good a spriter as you, but I made some sprites a looong time ago - Samus, A chap named Gunther.

Hey, your sprites is great dude! I like your Samus very much, and I'm never tried to use "Layers" that much before. So, you're simply better than me :) .

#10 nickydude

nickydude

MadLad Designs

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

I've updated this slightly if anybody is interested. The body and head now move separately so you can walk in one direction while firing in another, you can also move forwards and backwards. Big thanks to Fihrilkamal for such a simply clever idea!

2D to 3D slight update

Edited by nickydude, 16 May 2011 - 06:01 PM.

My Specs: Windows 7, 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660,  Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz, 8GB Ram.

#11 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

HOLY BUCKETS!!!! THIS IS CRAZY! I have to show this to my friend making a TDS. (HeHe he already finished making 8 directional sprites...).
My newest website. Check it out!
I support Cryset Games. Make money playing and making games!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
My avatar is best viewed in the lighter GMC theme.

#12 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

YellowAfterLife modified this example to move both directions and varied offsets based on it's x/y positions from the center of the view.

Here is the gm81 file: Download make_2D_sprite_look_3D.gm81

All credit to him.

#13 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

This is amazing, nice one, but how can we get the same blur like yours or something?

[EDIT: massive sig removed]

#14 tomasart

tomasart

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hey really good ideas, the example modifications make it more cool. Very nice. Thanks all a lot.

#15 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 851 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

I made my own "models" with a similar system. Screenshot:

Posted Image

With a lot of sprites, you can create amazingly detailed models. This one was actually a ton of subimages; every 1px "layer" is a new subimage. I got almost a steady 60 FPS with two of these on my netbook, which is much faster then I'd expected.

"The reason programming is addictive is the same reason a good game is addictive: it constantly feeds you with a sense of minor accomplishment on your way to [achieving] the greater goal."

Yal

Planning to build a network of like-minded, innovative GameMaker developers, connected by a set of tools for building awesome games. Interested? PM me.

#16 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

This won't be very fast, though. Perhaps you could make a system where you blit it and draw it like a d3d model. Might be even slower, though, because each sprite has a different offset.

#17 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1992 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

This method never occurred to me. I currently use 3d rendered models for all of my "spriting." I can't sprite for squat, but I can somewhat model in 3d, and it makes animation much easier. Once a model is done and animated, it is pretty easy to get several directions out of it. The disadvantage to that method(unless you are doing bird's eye straightup top down or side view) is that you are limited to whatever angles you render. Say I render 8 directions, then that is all I have. It seems that with this method, you can pretty much draw all possible directions by controlling the offset and angle of the drawn sprites. It seems to me that it would be too slow with too many objects, and the creation of all those sprites would be a hassle.

Final verdict: if there aren't too many things at once, and you have the artistic capacity to draw all of those sprites for this method(which I don't at all), then this method is a winner.

My KBInput system is now on the marketplace here.  It wraps up nice and tight GMStudio's input system into a few function calls making a user configurable input system that works the same regardless of what inputs the player has chosen including keyboard, mouse buttons, and gamepad/joysticks using DInput/XInput.  The support forum topic for it is here.

#18 oldschool_wolf

oldschool_wolf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

You are a god amongst men! Very, very cool and so simple to use. Can't wait to see what I can do with it!

Just out of curiosity, Is this technique well known in the games industry? Are there any commercial games that uses this method?

Edited by oldschool_wolf, 17 May 2011 - 07:02 PM.

6756160_orig.png

#19 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1403 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

CaptainLepidus, I made that technique in GM about 5 years back. It was highly optimizated, including a small town.

The technique I used was, the bottom layer was a surface, and every layer of "static" (buildings, trees) was rendered to a background. I would draw the backgrounds with the different depths using d3d_set_depth. I would then render the few players layers, too.

I fiddled with destruction too, and as I believe I mentioned before, I could destroy a rough circle out of one of these models, and because of the beauty of this technique, you could see the 'insides' of the person you had destroyed.

Using d3d_set_depth was the key for interaction of layers. I originally had a controller that would call all objects to draw their 0 layer, than call all objects to draw their 1 layer, etc. That old technique got maybe 30 fps in the room. The new technique allowed me to up to it about 70 stable with 3 instances in the room.

It's a slow technique. I never thought about just using like.. 3 images, like that, and darkening the odd ones. Very clever and fast, which is why I liked this tutorial. It's all about finding the beautiful middle ground between what you want and what you can have, and this is it.

#20 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

Thanks nickydude, YellowAfterLife and Theophilus for the edited version. YellowAfterLife's edit is great if it is combined with TheSnidr's W3d script.

for, CaptainLepidus;
I know you can create model-looking sprite with this method, but I'll not recommend you to draw in such detail, because it'll be very hard to animate it, and it'll be pretty slow. I think, it's better to use "d3d" to make something like that.

Just out of curiosity, Is this technique well known in the games industry? Are there any commercial games that uses this method?

I don't know, but I'm sure there's some classic games that use this method already.

for kburkhart84;

This method is good for those who don't have 3D modeling skill, like me. The bad part of this method is animation I think, because the more the layers the harder the animation to do.

Again, thanks for your nice replies :lol:

#21 GfxRippersSuck

GfxRippersSuck

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

"c_gray" in the script doesn't work in the lite edition, I have to change it to c_white.

It's a great example, but I guess it only works for geometric characters like robots and less for ones with organic shapes.

Edited by GfxRippersSuck, 23 May 2011 - 11:07 AM.

#22 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:00 AM

"c_gray" in the script doesn't work in the lite edition, I have to change it to c_white.

It's a great example, but I guess it only works for geometric characters like robots and less for ones with organic shapes.

If you change the color to c_white, then the 3D effect will look less appealing. If you want to get better effect using lite edition then I'll suggest you to copy the sprites and make it darker on image editor, and then replace it on the c_gray one. And, yes this method will looks better on geometric shapes (in this example I draw body parts twice to achieve 3D effect), but doesn't mean it can't be used on organic shapes, just need some more layered sprite and it will be good I think. I'll try to make organic one then I'll upload it here :snitch: .

#23 Primoz128

Primoz128

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

This is awesome man i wanted to use isometric in my game for 3Dish effect and nice graphics but i hate making room in that it's terrible and weird and well this is what i was looking for top down 3Dish 2D awesome :D.

Looking for a coding partner for my space RTS solar conquest project. More information: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=563123&hl=

#24 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:30 AM

This is awesome!!

#25 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

Hello again guys :medieval: !! I've heard that you think this method is bad for organic shapes (i.e humans, trees, animals), actually, it's not quite. I've been doing something awesome with this example, so you'll get better ideas on how to implement it.

I've modified this tutorial and added far more advanced features for an example. I've added walking animation, view zooming, and even the 2,5 D effect now works with screen rotation, and the best thing about this is now have a cute boy instead of robot. So, please DOWNLOAD THIS!!:

3D boy.gmk (25kb) download

Posted Image

This is just an example and it's a bit hard to understand the code, I would suggest you to download the tutorial version first.

Edited by Fihrilkamal, 28 May 2011 - 09:29 AM.

#26 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

sweet, thats a lot better, what about some buildings? or archways?

#27 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

how do you make him move/look and walk towards the mouse, i've tried various versions but it doesn't exactly work...

#28 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:53 AM

Building and archways? Well, that's will be great but I just want to show how to make organic shapes like human and trees, and also how to make shadows, and.. actually I still have no idea on how to make good looking building. About moving towards mouse's posisition I'd suggest you to edit the previous robot example, and then in end step event of obj-robot set image-angle=direction, and then use point direction stuff to make robot face the mouse.

#29 Primoz128

Primoz128

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Well iv been doing my project for topdown but now it will be 3Dish 2D :o i hate 3D coding and love 2D and this is what i needed 3Dish 2D :D just need stationary sprite example then ima try somenthing on my own when time comes for gfx.

Looking for a coding partner for my space RTS solar conquest project. More information: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=563123&hl=

#30 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Well iv been doing my project for topdown but now it will be 3Dish 2D :o i hate 3D coding and love 2D and this is what i needed 3Dish 2D :D just need stationary sprite example then ima try somenthing on my own when time comes for gfx.

Then, good luck for your project :medieval: . I really hope that you and more people out there want to make games using this method of drawing. Because personally, I think top-down graphic is simply less appealing.

#31 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

I strongly suggest you implement the modified method posted on the first page, or at least a toggling-example of it, so users can see both. I feel it would make it look much better.

#32 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

I strongly suggest you implement the modified method posted on the first page, or at least a toggling-example of it, so users can see both. I feel it would make it look much better.

OK Theopilus! But the modified example above still have some problem in the 'depth' of trees, as soon as I fixed the bug, I'll ZIP it together with the robot tutorial and implement it in the topic :medieval: .

#33 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

thats good to know,

but isn't there a way to have the animations but looking at the mouse? cause for TDS its a very handy thing,

and by buildings i meant like walls or something lol

#34 C_Pike

C_Pike

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 875 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

thats good to know,

but isn't there a way to have the animations but looking at the mouse? cause for TDS its a very handy thing,

and by buildings i meant like walls or something lol

you have the player object (or the sprites, however you need) rotate toward mouse_x,mouse_y. The easiest,
but ugliest and most unrealistic way is the 'direction = point_direction...' method
The nicest is the 'rotate towards object (or point)' method, in which the player object rotates toward a object/point
based on a set speed. I cant remember the code off the top of my head, but it involves subtracting 180 from one
of the directions. I think there is something in the smart codes thread.

---

Thanks to Fihrilkamal for this awesome technique!!!!!

#35 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:16 AM

if you remember the code thats brilliant,

but sprite rotation i think i tried, but the direction was off, and though doing the direction point direction thing made other coding go funny, direction being off and buggly freezing the player in places :/

#36 C_Pike

C_Pike

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 875 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:27 AM

I will look it up in one of my old files (sorry, I have a bad memory for this sort of thing)

#37 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:18 AM

ha sorry, and thanks :)

#38 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:21 AM

The code for gradual turning towards direction is:

image_angle+=(sin((direction-image_angle)*pi/180)*8);

Change 8 higher or lower to make it go faster or slower, respectively.

#39 C_Pike

C_Pike

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 875 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Thanks! my way was much clunkier, 4 'if' statements I do believe.

#40 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

UPDATED!! Now I've added the 3D boy in this tutorial topic's page. And please download the zip version of this updated tutorial since I've modified it. And the trees in the example now have been fixed. :medieval:

#41 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:00 AM

so with this code, where abouts should i add it, and which one should i get rid of... i'm not with it today lol

and once someone has this mouse movement type thing, i think it should be uploaded again as an extra tut add on maybe....?

#42 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:36 AM

Instead of 'image_angle=direction', put that code. Also, I don't think it's necessary to upload something for mouse-movement-to-direction. It's beyond simple, and there are countless others for it. Let this one focus.

#43 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2350 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

Wow, really nice job there. 8/10

vmh.png Come Play Hungry Hungry Frogs!

#44 Slinky

Slinky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

I have a stomach infection right now, so when I saw this topic it was so awesome that I literally sh*t my pants.
I know that was weird. :blink:

Very, very cool. This is awesome and thank you. :)

BLOCKFORD ADVENTURE

is a classic-style platform game! It has nice graphics and is rather difficult!

"Really good job!" - Roflstompz

"I can tell you've put a lot of effort into it and it feels great." - Cheezus

"I can't wait for this game to be done." - theweirdn8

Did I help you? +1 me!

#45 ej510

ej510

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:51 AM

How do I make a the sprite have side designs????

#46 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Thank you very much coffee, Slinky, and all. ej510, I'm sorry but I'm not understand what do you mean with side designs?

#47 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

think they meant like if you have a car, you have a bottom, then the side would be doors etc and then a roof, but its hard to draw that on a flat image.... or something like that, and can you do a coded version instead of D&D?

#48 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

If this is what side sprite design means. Then it will require a lot of layer, and need a lot sprites. If you want to make a good looking sprite then you'll need to test and draw the sprite again and again until it looks good. You know I spent more than 2 hours to draw that organic boy example.

#49 Slinky

Slinky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:50 PM

I see! So you have to do each layer pixel by pixel. Whoa.

BLOCKFORD ADVENTURE

is a classic-style platform game! It has nice graphics and is rather difficult!

"Really good job!" - Roflstompz

"I can tell you've put a lot of effort into it and it feels great." - Cheezus

"I can't wait for this game to be done." - theweirdn8

Did I help you? +1 me!

#50 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

kinda makes sense, and should be cool to give it a shot,

but a coded version as well would be handy,

...on a side note i still cant do the flipping mouse thing.... <_< dam....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users