• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

Project Chatsubo

Executable - Latest Build (November 1st, 2011) Build 0.18 alpha
Project Chatsubo Build 0.18 alpha

Posted Image

More updates/info on the game's blog: Project Chatsubo Blog

Cyber-punk action RPG... Mostly action for now. The RPG and cyberpunk elements will fatten up over time. Several different weapons of different types, requiring different ammo types. Equippable items and devices (bombs). A few enemies who behave differently and have different weapons/tactics. Fairly large, randomly generated 'dungeon' type level somewhat hidden in a chaotic pre-made map. Dynamic accuracy system that accounts for recoil, range, motion, enemy's evasion stat, etc.

Randomly generated 'Abandoned Warehouse' full of enemies, a few Fixers on a special floor, and silver and gold bars as loot.

There is no story at the moment, but there is a goal which is to survive, and eventually find and touch yourself. In the latest build, yourself is on the top floor of the Warehouse.

I realize the difficulty is quite high, and the early parts of the final game will be easier on the player because I want to make it semi-roguelike, meaning permanent death (with only a couple of ways around it). Some of the weapons are imbalanced at the moment, but not by much hopefully. Please don't rage quit after dying once or twice, and please experiment with the different weapons/devices that are available.

Press F1 at any time to get a basic explanation of the controls and some parts of the gameplay.

Updates alpha 0.17 October 28, 2011
- Holding down shift now puts the player into dodge mode which allows him to move faster than jogging but slower than sprinting for as long as he has energy. There are no penalties to accuracy while moving in dodge mode and you get a huge evasion bonus. Great for sliding up to bad guys to blast em point-blank... Just make sure you have an exit strategy.
- On top of dodge mode, the whole energy regeneration and spending system has been tweaked. Energy is now more useful but also more plentiful and quicker to regenerate. Make sure to use your shift button!!
- The map has changed to better reward exploration and survival. Money should be easier to come by so upgrading your weapons/items isn't so crazy difficult now.
- FACTION system is now in place. Doesn't change much on the surface, but opens up great possibilities for the future. Also, CIVILIANS will now react to being massacred so be careful.
- Melee combat is back and fully operational. It's not finished yet, but it now at least functions in all cases that I have tested.
- Guns now auto-reload without glitching out.
- Less knock back on weapons, some have no knockback at all now... But this is because knock back also now knocks enemies DOWN which takes even more time to recover from.

Updates November 1, 2011
- Skill system is now in place. The Ninja is OP early-game, and the spy is totally useless at the moment... But updates will be happening FAST on skills now.
- A different look for each player class, and you can now choose your character class and name your character at the start of a new game.
- Updates to the map, with XP orbs you can now collect for experience points and to level up, etc. More lights. Slightly more mobs.
- The tower is still a little behind on updating... There is no xp in there, and I'm really not sure what is going on above the first floor or two.

Updates October 26, 2011
- Waaaaay too much to list... But I will attempt to some time when I've had more sleep.
- Many many many changes. It should be easier to 'get it' now.
- NEW SCREEN SHOTS BELOW, AND UPDATED DOWNLOAD LINK.

Updates April 6, 2011
- Molotov Cocktails, known as 'Red Cocktails' in game, are new devices like time bombs or prox. mines. However, these
cannot be placed, but can be thrown at targets. They explode on impact into fiery flaminess! Not everything I want
about fire is implemented, but it burns you and the enemies well enough for now! This means Flame Throwers might be
up next...
- Implemented 'Stopping Power' and 'Knock Back' on all weapons. Stopping power stuns an enemy in place temporarily, and
knock-back moves them away from the shooter a little bit. Less noticable on the weaker weapons, but more noticeable on weapons
like the Duster and the 'Dirty Suzy'. This, I think, has lead to a reduction in 'kiting' in the game.
- New font for the HUD. Sexy. Still thinking/working on fonts in other UI elements like the shop and the Character Sheet.

Updates for April 4, 2011
- Revamped the 'Fire in a direction' functionality... There is now a cross-hair showing you which direction
you're aiming in, and you now have to press Z to fire while aiming. Alternatively, you can also press A to
throw a device in the aiming direction. Now bombs can be placed as well as thrown/bounced off walls, etc.
- Implemented the first non-ballistic special weapon: a Grenade Launcher. Single shot, bounces off walls,
explodes on contact with an NPC or when it's timer runs out. Makes things a lot more interesting :)
Available at the Weapons Fixer on the Fixer floor in the warehouse.
- Stealth is now implemented. You can toggle 'sneak mode' by pressing X, and it makes enemies spot you from
half the distance they normally do. You walk slower while in crouch mode, but there is no penalty to your accuracy,
so it's also useful for walking out of cover with full accuracy on your first shot.
- Also, somewhat tied in with the stealth is weapons now have a loudness rating and depending on the weapon,
nearby enemies will be alerted to your presence even if they don't have line of sight. Explosions also have loudness.
- I implemented different player states... Crouching is one of the new features that came out of this. Also 'sliding'.
While sprinting if you tap X you will slide for a short distance and get a bonus to evasion, and be able to shoot with
the same accuracy as if you were moving normally. You can no longer fire while sprinting.
- Other little things I can't remember, or make little difference to the player... The help screen was updated with the
new controls, so press F1 if you need some help.

Updates for March 31, 2011
- New fully implemented 3/4 perspective. Sexy.
- Unlocked, easy to open doors and Goody Boxes
- Most things in the tower, including terrain and the new Goody Boxes, now scale with what floor you're on. The higher, the more dangerous, but also the more rewards.

Plans for the Future
-Dialogue and 'Quest' system (DIALOGUE: IN. QUESTS/JOBS: PENDING)
-A story
-NPC factions that shoot at each other as well as the player (semi-complete, check out the NPC Arena download below) (IMPLEMENTED)
-MORE weapons, devices, items, ammo types, NPCs... many more
-Serious injuries and clinics, implants, hacking/lockpicking system, Character Progression (this is probably next, after NPC factions)
-Various 'town hubs' that are connected to (some extent) randomly generated sky scrapers, sewers, arcologies, parks, labs, etc.
- Three main character classes to choose from, and 2 different 'factions'. (Infantry/Enforcer, Ninja/Spec Ops., Hacker/Engineer)
- Hackers/Engineers will specialize in hacking/lockpicking, as well as the deployment of personal drones that unleash hell on your enemies.

I've tried my best to keep up with optimization while implementing all the current features, but I know it's not the best. It might run slowly on some systems for now, but hopefully
I can improve this over time. Please let me know if you have trouble running the game, or it runs poorly on your system. Your system specs would be nice too.

All questions and forms of feedback are welcome!

Special Thanks to:
-flexaplex and his cool tutorials/examples that helped to get me started, Scyler_27 and his sweet sweet Easy Lighting GEX.
-The creators of Spelunky (Derek Yu) and Iji (Ultimortal) to get me inspired to start using Game Maker (Both are @#!%ing brilliant games no matter how you look at them).
-The creator of Game Maker, of course, Mark Overmars!
-Also, the creators of Shadowrun for the SEGA Genesis, William Gibson who wrote Neuromancer, Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, a lot of action movies from the 80s/early-90s, Deus Ex, Fallout 1 & 2, and every other one of the very few post-apocalyptic/cyberpunk video games out there.

Screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Genre: Cyberpunk Action RPG
File Size: ~3 MB
GM Version: GM8 for sure, haven't tested older versions...
Vista Compatible: yes
Changes Screen Resolution: yes (800x600)
Download Link:

Executable - Latest Build (November 1st, 2011) Build 0.18 alpha
Project Chatsubo Build 0.18 alpha

Executable - Build (October 28, 2011) Build 0.17 alpha
Project Chatsubo Build 0.17 alpha

Executable - NPC Arena... A build/demo of NPCs fighting each other. A bit of a stress test also. New controls: L resets game, K Switches between 30 fps and unlimited
NPC Arena

Executable - Last build of the game when it was still called Decker Gambit. More of an open-world feel. Will get back to that eventually...
Download codename -deckergambit v0013.exe from Host-A

.GMK for all you hackers to pull apart: (this is for the deckergambit v0013.exe above)
Download deckergambit - new state system test.gmk from Host-A

edit: name change... that old one was bugging me. Also modified the genre a bit. Shooter was perhaps a little misleading.

Edited by Reefpirate, 01 November 2011 - 09:56 AM.

"All the meat, he thought, and all it wants.

'Wage,' she said, narrowing her eyes. 'He wants to see you with a hole in your face.'"

-Neuromancer

WIP: Chatsubo

#2 Fury

Fury

GMC Member

• 415 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:05 AM

I gave Decker Codename Badger a go, and it's not a bad start. The graphics are good, but it doesn't really work for a top-down game, it just feels funny. And the RPG mechanics are great, but I'd like a game like this to be either turn based, or to have a crosshair so you can aim, as it doesn't feel like you're actually shooting.

But I really like the graphics. It's a great start, and send me a PM when a new version is out. I mostly just run out of ammo at the moment.

#3 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for playing, and for the feedback! I know what you're saying about the 'feeling' with the characters all facing straight up in the air, seemingly. Many of these graphics I consider stand-ins. Eventually, once I get some time and get the foundations worked out, I want to make it more of an isometric feel, with sprites for walking in different directions, etc.

As for the shooting mechanism, I guess you haven't played Shadowrun for the Genesis? :D Either that, or you didn't like it... Basically I was trying to find a compromise between the two styles you mentioned. Rather than being turn-based (like a traditional roguelike) or being twitch based with mouse-aiming (or struggling to try to line up shots on an 8-directional axis) I figured a lock-on system would be ideal. As I implement explosives that shoot, and better sound fx/gfx, I promise I will make it a goal to make it 'feel like you're actually shooting'.

'Wage,' she said, narrowing her eyes. 'He wants to see you with a hole in your face.'"

-Neuromancer

#4 Fury

Fury

GMC Member

• 415 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:41 AM

I've never even played a Genesis. I didn't even know they existed until a couple of years ago. I thought it was NES - Super Nintendo - N64/PS1 - PS2/Gamecube/Xbox - Current

Ah, I miss the days when the internet didn't exist and you bought games off boxart...

#5 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

Somehow my family managed to skip the SNES. We went NES -> Genesis -> PS1/N64 :) I know I'm in the minority like this, but there were some great games on the SEGA Genesis... You also seem to leave out the Saturn and the Dreamcast! No love for SEGA??

Anyways, we never had the Shadowrun Genesis cartridge, but I discovered it later with an emulator. There were two Shadowruns, one for the SNES and one for the Genesis, and they were totally different games, from different studios. The SNES one is kind of a lame adventure game, but the Genesis one was more true to the Shadowrun pen-and-paper RPG. It used a similar targeting system to what I'm using in this game, and it's probably one of my fave console RPGs of all time.

I'm often nostalgic for the days of box-art being important too :) However, I'm pretty sure I detect a renaissance coming on in the gaming world in general. I think we're finally starting to move out of the Call of War: Modern Dragon Effect Brown Manliness phase... Fingers crossed anyways.

-Neuromancer

#6 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:42 AM

BUMP.

But not a hollow bump... I've been at work implementing a finite state machine for my NPC AI, as well as making them shoot at each other. I updated the OP with an NPC Arena executable that shows the NPCs in action. The player is in a little protected area in the middle of Fixers and Goos killing each other. It's also a bit of a stress test for how well my code runs at top speed... So two new controls have been implemented for the NPC Arena:

Press L to restart the game
Press K to toggle between normal 30 fps and unlimited fps (limited by your CPU/system, etc.)
(your current frames per second are displayed as that green number in the lower left of the screen)

I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know what your fps minimum is in unlimited fps mode. On my system, which isn't too bad, but not super good either, I rarely if ever go below 60 fps. Going below 30 is, in my opinion, bad... So let me know how it goes on your system please.

The NPC Arena started off as a little tool for me to check for bugs in my collision code, AI, etc. But it also became a useful tool for balancing the NPCs against each other. There are 6 random NPC spawn points around the room, and what often happens is the Fixers (dudes in gray trenchcoats) who are better man-to-man than any of the Goos, will start to group up around a spawn point and then put a lot of damage on the Goos. The Fixers seem to 'win' most often, but occasionally if the Goos overwhelm and take out enough Fixers early on they can become dominant for a while... Fun to watch!

Here's the link: Download chatsubo - npc arena.exe from Host-A

I had to basically destroy the levels I had before to implement the finite state machine and retool the NPCs, but once I'm happy with how smooth the NPCs are running, it's on to making more features, most likely a dialogue system of some sort, more weapon types (grenade launcher perhaps), and one other NPC faction so I don't have to make the poor Fixers, who are also my shopkeepers, fight with the Goos all the time... And by the way, mucho mucho thanks to Ace for his thread on Finite State Machines and also for his state_machine() script which I am using and has basically totally changed my game development life...

(PS. the player in NPC Arena still has the two time bombs which he can use to break out of the protective area at any time, as well he has an extra-fast Katana and 10,000 HP. Enjoy it while you can... I'm not a fan of god-modes or cheats, so I'm unlikely to release anything in the near future with the same perks.)

Edited by Reefpirate, 20 March 2011 - 06:43 AM.

-Neuromancer

#7 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

BUMP!

Still chugging away... Can't believe I haven't quit this already... Progress is slower now, but the work is getting meatier. I finally went through and implemented Ace's state_machine() function into my AI (thanks a ton, dude! This script is awesome...). I'm debating whether to implement it on my player object next, or finally get around to making a character progression/character class system. It's one of the two next.

The big change I got going/smoothed out since the Arena build, is NPCs that fight amongst themselves as well as fighting the player. This occasionally makes for some comical situations.

The other big change for this build is the randomly generated levels/maps found in the warehouse. This makes it more fun to test out, not knowing quite what to expect. This is a basic framework that is sturdy enough for now, but will involve many more features soon enough: ATMs to hack, locked doors/rooms, random encounters, loot tables for the floors (instead of just cash, which is generated randomly now... still fun to loot, you just need to find a fixer to go spend the money on), etc.

Minor changes include little UI tweaks, my favourite of which is the dynamic accuracy bar, which is a much better indicator of what the accuracy of your next shot will be. It used to be just a number that would update, but it would change so fast you couldn't really tell what was happening. I think this should leave people much less confused than they used to seem to be...

Many other little/kinda big changes in there... Soooo...

Enjoy! Feedback! Please! Download it! I'm pretty sure it's not crap!

Edited by Reefpirate, 28 March 2011 - 10:33 AM.

-Neuromancer

#8 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:47 AM

UPDATE BUMP

Bunch o wussies, all of ya... Too afraid to play my game. Afraid it will kick your @ss... I see how it is ;)

Anyways, I finally took the plunge, did some reading about 3/4 perspectives and it was real awkward at first, but I finally made pretty much all of the assets conform to this perspective, and now things have a lot more depth. I was stubborn, sticking too much to the roguelike feeling of flatness, but now I like this new art-style a lot better. I even made walls that are in front of you (most of em anyways) go semi-transparent so you don't lose yourself.

Also, there are now doors and 'Goody Boxes'. None of them are locked, although I can lock them. The problem is I don't have a good key system figured out, and I'm a little ways away from implementing the lockpicking/hacking aspect of the design which will allow you to crack open these boxes, as well as doors and computers/ATMs/etc.

Along with the Goody Boxes and their loot contents, the terrain in the abandoned warehouse now changes as you climb to higher floors. Pretty much everything spawned in there is now dependent on which floor you're on. This will be constantly tweaked, I'm sure, and I haven't figured out what to do for other 'tower' types yet. But for now, I think it plays pretty smooth, and you feel the tension mounting as you climb the stairs.

Tell me what you think! Anybody! I don't care if you think it's crap, bring it on!

-Neuromancer

#9 twelveways

twelveways

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1383 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

Its a great start and should be a really good game. Has a nice retro feel to it. Didn't play it for long but will ddefo check out any updates.

Keep up the good work :)

#10 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:45 AM

Thanks dude!

-Neuromancer

#11 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

Bump! Update!

Stealth, sliding, crouching, weapons make noises that enemies can hear, there's a new GRENADE LAUNCHER, bombs/devices can be thrown, other little things... Check the OP for more robust list of changes, or check out my blog.

-Neuromancer

#12 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

Bump update!

Molotov cocktails, known in-game as 'Red Cocktails' are now in. This also means the early workings of a general fire system is in place. Which means flame throwers might be coming soon.

Also knock-back and stopping power stats added to all weapons which stuns or knocks enemies back when hit. Makes weapons like heavy pistols and shotguns feel more powerful, and reduces the need to 'kite' fast melee enemies.

New font, and I updated the screenshots in the OP. Now you can see them without clicking on links, so you can be lazy and still see what the game looks like. One of them features the new molotovs in action.

-Neuromancer

#13 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

Small bumpdate:

I made a main menu screen, which you can access from in-game by pressing Esc. There are a couple of health screens on there.

Also, some doors will now be locked, and the same with some goodie boxes. They can be hacked by crouching next to them and pressing E.

I lumped these changes into the v0004 build, with the same link above in the OP.

-Neuromancer

#14 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Huge bump + update. Feels like a whole new game. Check it out!

-Neuromancer

#15 Liveandlearn

Liveandlearn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

Nice, dude! It's got a cool atmosphere!

The graphics are dark and gritty, and I love the lighting, adds a lot to the game.

The menu/inventory was nice and easy to understand, which is impressive because a lot of menus these days just blow my mind and take ages to get used to!
I liked the target system and the accuracy measuring bar, those were cool.
While I was buying from a Fixer, the one who sells more than one type of item, a few of the items had the wrong descriptions, like, a pistol had the same text as the Derm +10.

Once, when I tried to fight a thug guy, this happened:

for object obj_player:

In script npc_creation:
Error in code at line 9:
current_weapon = npc[npc_type, 19];
^
at position 19: Unknown variable npc or array index out of bounds

Loved the Iron Maiden music, though XD

I feel like reloading should be automatic, but if you want it to be this way for a reason, I could get used to it this way, it just takes some getting used to.

Very interesting game, looking forward to seeing how it develops further!

If you've played any of my games, send me a link to one of yours and I'll try your games out, too!

#16 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hey thanks for the feedback! I'll check out those bugs you pointed out there... That one you provided an error message for seems particularly strange because I've never seen it.

I've thought about doing automatic reloading for a while now. But I think you've talked me in to finally doing it!

So how far did you get? I myself had some trouble surviving for too long south of the FIXER building, so I'm wondering if it's a little too harsh right now? Even though I also forgot to take away the silly amounts of money that the player starts with....

-Neuromancer

#17 Liveandlearn

Liveandlearn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

Ahaa, no problem :)

On my best playthrough,
I made my way down to a building full of FIXERs without any problems, bought some guns and armour, then went west out of the building. I managed to kill a few thugs but there were loads attacking me, and I died :(

The zombie-like enemies I found to the northeast are perfect difficulty, I think, but there are a bit too many thugs in their groups and they just overwhelm me.

I'm not completely used to the interface, though, and I'm really bad at it right now, so it might just be that.

If you've played any of my games, send me a link to one of yours and I'll try your games out, too!

#18 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

Spawn rates were way up on the NPC spawners... I'll tone them down in the next release. :)

Also, when I get some time later on I'll make sure to try out one of your games and offer some feedback too.

-Neuromancer

#19 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

bumpdate!

-Neuromancer

#20 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

Bumpdate!

I finally, FINALLY got around to implementing a skill and level progression system for the player. Woohoo! It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, and I somehow came out with something that is quite flexible and easy to expand on, while being quite stable. But only now am I fully realize why RPGs are so "hard" to make. So much to balance, so little time.

So please, tell me any ideas you have about skill systems, leveling, how expensive should the skills be? Are the skills interesting? Etc., etc., etc.! Come on, out with it!

The way it is right now, you get 3 skill points per level and skills from other classes cost twice as much as skills from your own class. Soon I will have a class of skills that is available to all classes as well, and all classes can purchase them for the same price.

Latest build is linked at the top of the OP, and don't play the Spy class yet unless you want to play in hard mode!

-Neuromancer

#21 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:22 AM

Awesome! Can't wait to see this finished! At first it felt a bit overwhelming with numbers/meters/stats everywhere,
but then I realized that I just wasn't used to seeing this level of stuff done with GM. That's some solid coding there, man.
A real-time, character skill based targeting system is a rare treat these days. Immediately reminded me of Shadowrun. :thumbsup:
I'll be giving this some SERIOUS playtesting time as soon as I get from work.

Would it be okay if I mention your WIP at Cyberpunk Review?
In case you're interested, there's also a sub-forum for personal projects.

"One man's constant is another man's variable." - Alan Perlis
The Black Tome

#22 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hi JTR, thanks a lot for trying it out! Feel free to mention my game anywhere you like!

I've already got quite a bit more done on the skill system, I am just hoping to iron a few more things out before I release another build. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow (before I start goofing around in Skyrim for a couple of days :D )

If or when you get around to testing it out again, can I ask you what the fps is usually like in the bottom left? I'm hoping on most systems with dedicated graphics cards it stays at 60 fps or at least pretty close. Otherwise I'll have to retweak a few things and turn the room speed down to 30 again.

Stay tuned for another update soon!

-Neuromancer